maybe a Flash version or something of Blitz?

JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Just a little idea that popped into my head,

What about a (stripped down. 3-5-10? songs) internet game of Blitz?

Quite a few arcade games originated from this sort of thing, or used it to get better known. Games like Alien Hominid, Trials HD, Super meat boy, N+ and others started as games on the internet. and from what i can tell those sold pretty damn well.

So the basic idea would be an almost completely stripped down version (just quickplay, a few power-ups and only a couple of songs) spread across lots of sites like Newgrounds.com , Kongregate.com and other internet game sites. Including a loading screen that tells people they can get Blitz for XBL or PSN.

dunno, just an idea that popped into my head. I think it can really help get people to know about this game and how fun it is. what do you guys think?

Comments

• ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    People play games on a computer?
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Facebook would be the place for this. However it would be a bit of a backward step. It somewhat existed on the Iphone in the form of Rock Band Reloaded not sure how successful that was but you can't even buy it anymore.

I think Audio Surf has cornered the market on the PC side of things in that you can use any music you own. In fact it could work against Harmonix as it would almost be an expectation.

Somehow Games like Tap Tap Revenge on iOS keep coming out every few months and I think there is something on Facebook already called iRok that does the same thing.
  • Buttered_NoodlesButtered_Noodles Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I think this is a really good idea. Maybe 5 songs included from Blitz would be a good demo of sorts. If someone was playing it they might go, "I'm sick of these 5 songs. Maybe I'll go pick up the full game and get 25 with a catalog of thousands." They would learn this from loading screens, like you said. I vote yes. More ways for me to play Rock Band!
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Buttered_Noodles;4836001 said:
    I think this is a really good idea. Maybe 5 songs included from Blitz would be a good demo of sorts. If someone was playing it they might go, "I'm sick of these 5 songs. Maybe I'll go pick up the full game and get 25 with a catalog of thousands." They would learn this from loading screens, like you said. I vote yes. More ways for me to play Rock Band!
    Sounds like exactly what the demo's already doing, except on the consoles you can actually buy Blitz from.
    edited August 2012
    Exactly what I was typing in reply only to realize I had been logged out of the forums. I think the discussion is driven more towards PC though. I'm sure they have thought about it, probably the facebook route and who knows maybe they are considering doing something on PC but monetizing it will likely prove to be an issue. I think that the people who want a piece of the rockband franchise probably already have a console and are playing it, or in the case of Blitz will soon be playing it.

I wouldn't want to play something on PC that I can play on my console.
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    metalkorn;4836009 said:

I wouldn't want to play something on PC that I can play on my console.

ok, let's take for example stuff like N+ or Super Meat boy.
    most of the people i know bought games like that for consoles and such BECAUSE they knew it was a better version of some internet game they played.

they hear/learn of it.
    they see they can get a better version on their console.
    they buy it for their console.

like you said, you don't want to play something on pc that you can get on your console.

well what if you didn't know it was on your console because you don't always look through the latest marketplace stuff? you would have to learn about it through other ways. the more people that know about it the better is what i think
    edited August 2012
    It's just a promotional tool, not the actual game. They are supposedly planning some sort of Facebook integration already, I just think it's a cool idea to raise awareness of the game, since a lot of people just ignore music games at this point.
    edited August 2012
    Buttered_Noodles;4836014 said:
    It's just a promotional tool, not the actual game. They are supposedly planning some sort of Facebook integration already
    Yeah. The Dashboard.
    edited August 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4836017 said:
    Yeah. The Dashboard.

you think you could actually comment on the idea for once instead of some small things people are saying?
    edited August 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4836017 said:
    Yeah. The Dashboard.

Or this:

"According to this image from G4tv the game will tie in with a facebook app called "Rock Band World" where you can collaborate, compete, and compare with your FB friends"
    http://files.g4tv.com/rimg_606x0/ImageDb3/295364_l/rock-band-blitz-screenshots.jpg

I'm not just talking out of my ass...

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228740&highlight=rock+band+world
    edited August 2012
    I understand what you are saying in terms of promotion with games like N+ and Super Meat Boy, but those were independent small companies made up of a handful of people. I think the Rock Band brand is pretty well known, they already have a web presence and an excellent reputation.

You still have to drive people to this Flash game, how would you do that? Most likely through social media and these very forums. These happen to be the same avenues they already promote the game as being available on Xbox and PS3 at the end of August. I just don't think as a promotional tool it has a lot of traction.
    edited August 2012
    Most people know of the Rockband World image, in fact I started a thread inquiring about it. But I'm thinking they will just redesign the Rockband Dashboard App that already exists for this purpose which is possibly what GNF is talking about.
    edited August 2012
    Buttered_Noodles;4836020 said:
    Or this:

"According to this image from G4tv the game will tie in with a facebook app called "Rock Band World" where you can collaborate, compete, and compare with your FB friends"
    http://files.g4tv.com/rimg_606x0/ImageDb3/295364_l/rock-band-blitz-screenshots.jpg

I'm not just talking out of my ass...

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228740&highlight=rock+band+world
    That's the new Dashboard, champ.
    edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4836019 said:
    you think you could actually comment on the idea for once instead of some small things people are saying?
    GNF is always loaded with sarcasm and negative opinion with most of the posts I have seen, I'm used to it by now. Everyone has their way of making use of the forums.
    edited August 2012
    metalkorn;4836021 said:
    I understand what you are saying in terms of promotion with games like N+ and Super Meat Boy, but those were independent small companies made up of a handful of people. I think the Rock Band brand is pretty well known, they already have a web presence and an excellent reputation.
    well known? maybe in America. but definitely not here. most people here have ONLY heard of GH
    metalkorn;4836021 said:
    You still have to drive people to this Flash game, how would you do that?
    the same way as those other games i mentioned did it. make a good enough game and it will most of the times already be put on the front page of those sites i mentioned.

most of those other games i talked about were big before facebook and such became big. so it's not like social media is the 100% perfect only way to get people to notice things. Especially when you think of the people that want to avoid sites like twitter and facebook like myself
    metalkorn;4836028 said:
    GNF is always loaded with sarcasm and negative opinion with most of the posts I have seen, I'm used to it by now. Everyone has their way of making use of the forums.
    well yeah, everyone knows that. was just trying to make him stop.
    edited August 2012
    I don't know where you are from Jibbly so perhaps you have a point, I can only speak for North America but those sales would make up a vast majority of anything they sell, next closest would be the UK.

Rockband Blitz will be on IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid and god knows what other game sites with reviews when it releases. It will have exposure but for all I know people outside of North America don't go to those sites either.

Social media isn't the best way to get a message out, but it's a pretty darn good one.

I think that its more of a marketing issue. I'm not the target audience for this as they already have my sale.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Reminds me of Portal flash version, and I adored that. So I'm in. Also anytime a girl looks at me like that I generally do whatever she says.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    Yes, I'm all for Queen's "Flash" (Ahhhh!) being in Rock Band Blitz.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4836033 said:
    well known? maybe in America. but definitely not here. most people here have ONLY heard of GH
    While dead horses probably shouldn't be beaten, particularly when this one's practically a mummy and may rise to haunt us again, that's totally explainable when hardware availability has been practically nil, even during the RB3 push.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    It would work well on Facebook, like that DJ Hero 2 promotion. That was pretty fun.
    edited August 2012
    I don't know what you are referring to so it must not have been marketed very well.