James William Roy launches The James Rocket

MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
edited September 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Once upon a time, in the days before Rock Band 3, when the RBN was new and the possibilities (and revenue) of the Rhythm Game Medium seemed endless, a bold duo joined the vanguard of pioneering musicians and offered up two indie rock songs attributed to the artist James William Roy: "Paper Valentines" and "Shiny Dark Bar".

(Go ahead, look 'em up, we'll wait... What, on PS3? No, sorry. Wii? Nope, sorry again. Pro Drums under RB3? Ermm, well, not really... Wait! Where are you all going? I'm not finished!)

But after that glorious RBN launch honeymoon of March 4 2010, no more JRW tracks were to be charted. Instead, efforts were turned to releasing an actual album based on the collaboration between James and producer/author Markleford Friedman (that's me!), eventually under the official band name The James Rocket (which was originally going to be the title of the solo album).

Ten tracks and two years later, POOF! That album has now finally been released. It's called "Launch", and you can stream it from here for free:

http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/

There are some free mp3 downloads to be found there, too. Got links to the Tweeties and the Fastbucks as well, if that's your thing.

So what do we want from you? Just your ears. Give it a listen and see if you dig anything.

Oh, and one more thing: if you want any of these *new* tracks on RBN (or Rock Band Blitz, for that matter! It's RBN-compatible!), drop us a line through your preferred medium (even this thread) with your vote. Naturally, for those who remember the tune from back in the day, we've had an exclusive version of "Paper Valentines" with keyboards sketched out for eventual RBN consumption for quite a while now, and charting the lush harmonies would make it oh-so-sweet!

Thanks for the good times and continued support: no foolin', this band would never have grown without the RBN community! It's just a handful of you fans compared to more popular bands (and believe me, *most* bands are more popular than us!), but we really appreciate it.

- m

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 2012
    "Paper Valentines" was also on the RBN Megamix.
  • edited August 2012
    I loved Paper Valentines and kept meaning to pick up Shiny Dark Bar but then I got pro drums and feel in love with playing keys so I still haven't gotten it.

A(n) RB3 version of Paper Valentines with keys will be bought soooo hard and I will need to pick up the album and see what else I'd want from it.

Cool stuff.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I've been repeatedly half-tempted to grab Paper Valentines but the lack of pro drums is a bit of an issue for me. I'd definitely pick up (and playtest!) a RB3 version. :)
  • edited August 2012
    Oscarvarium;4837663 said:
    I've been repeatedly half-tempted to grab Paper Valentines but the lack of pro drums is a bit of an issue for me. I'd definitely pick up (and playtest!) a RB3 version. :)

I think it has pro drums by default.
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4837667 said:
    I think it has pro drums by default.

"By default"? The song was released in January 2010 and pro drums authoring was first mentioned some time around June 2010, and he said they don't have pro drums in the OP. :p
  • edited August 2012
    Oscarvarium;4837672 said:
    "By default"? The song was released in January 2010 and pro drums authoring was first mentioned some time around June 2010, and he said they don't have pro drums in the OP. :p

I mean that it has no toms anyway so it's auto pro conversion is correct. I think it was listed in the "songs with correct pro drums" thread that popped up after RB3 came out.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4837676 said:
    I mean that it has no toms anyway so it's auto pro conversion is correct. I think it was listed in the "songs with correct pro drums" thread that popped up after RB3 came out.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.
    You're correct. There are actually quite a few songs like this. Do You Feel Like Breaking Up? is one of the few that's still fun without any toms.

And I will buy anymore songs you release, loved Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar. :)
    edited August 2012
    Ah, didn't realise it was one of those songs. What do you have against toms? D:
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Oscarvarium;4838049 said:
    What do you have against toms? D:
    Nothing at all: listen to the album version! (Well, there's a few.)
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Oscarvarium;4838049 said:
    What do you have against toms? D:
    Well, Paper Valentines relies mostly on snare 16ths on 4 as its main fill motif. Well, *exclusively* so in the original. In the new version I did add some descending toms in the place of that in the verse/chorus transition. Same rhythmically, though.

But otherwise, it just ain't that kind of song! It just goes "MO-town MO-town MO-town MO-town" for a while, and then it's all "go-in' SURF-IN' go-in' SURF-IN' go-in' SURF-IN' go-in' SURF-IN'" for the rest of it.

What more could one possibly need?!?! Mike Portnoy said he wanted to play on this track when I played him the demo over at my place one time, but I said I wanted him to play on the closing track, "Tenants", instead. I think he did a tastefully understated job on that one.

- m
    edited August 2012
    Portnoy!? Dude, I told you I wanted Jon Wurster. Or Grohl, if Wurster was busy. This aggression will not stand, man.
    edited August 2012
    Ooh, a big sloppy kiss of an album review!

http://blog.clearvisionstudios.net/the-james-rocket-launch-2012-an-album-review/

And in other news...

WE HAVE SEEN PAPER VALENTINES PLAYED IN ROCK BAND BLITZ!

And played *masterfully* so! Can't wait another week to play it myself: this is gonna be AWESOME!

(...and *more* awesome later, with the keyboard version...)

Cheers,
    - m
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited August 2012
    Markleford;4851630 said:
    And in other news...

And played *masterfully* so!

What, no credit to those of us who play it unmasterfully in Blitz?
  • edited August 2012
    Hey guys,
    Been listening to your new album today. Loving it!
    Why didn't you include "The Bartender's Boyfriend"? Just curious.
    Will have to make a playlist that includes that as a bonus track or something.
    edited August 2012
    I think it's in the running for the *next* album...

(edit DERP) and Thank you! Awesome.
    edited August 2012
    HMXLachesis;4851677 said:
    What, no credit to those of us who play it unmasterfully in Blitz?
    (Publicly shareable link to) Video or it didn't happen! ;)

- m
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited August 2012
    Markleford;4851904 said:
    (Publicly shareable link to) Video or it didn't happen! ;)

- m

Seeing my lousy score at the end of Nord's masterful playthrough wasn't enough? :(

I PLAYED IT FIRST I TELL YOU.
    edited August 2012
    HMXLachesis;4851912 said:
    Seeing my lousy score at the end of Nord's masterful playthrough wasn't enough? :(

Oh, we don't doubt that, and appreciate your support greatly...

...we just want to share pre-release video with the world! ;)

(srsly, though, thanks for everything!)

- m
    edited August 2012
    HMXLachesis;4851912 said:
    Put on cat-eye glasses and a headscarf when you say that, 'cause you played Paper Valentines on RBB before it was cool.
    edited August 2012
    Scratching The Itch;4851682 said:
    Been listening to your new album today. Loving it!
    Cool! Thanks!
    Why didn't you include "The Bartender's Boyfriend"? Just curious.
    As James indicates, that's next-album material, which has a bit more swagger/bounce in general.

- m
    edited September 2012
    I feel I should point out that, on our Bandcamp page, you can download not one but two of the album's songs for free.

Just saying.

JWR
    And Here, Gang, is The James Rocket performing Shiny Dark Bar live at Hank's Saloon in Brooklyn, 5/3/14!

Enjoy!

• NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior

Ooh, a big sloppy kiss of an album review!

http://blog.clearvisionstudios.net/the-james-rocket-launch-2012-an-album-review/

And in other news...

And played *masterfully* so! Can't wait another week to play it myself: this is gonna be AWESOME!

(...and *more* awesome later, with the keyboard version...)

Cheers,
    - m

Since I only play pro drums, Blitz is actually helpful to get me value for the old RBN 1.0 songs I no longer play because they didn't have pro drums.

Also, it's nice to see my old thread is still being helpful. :disagree:
    Well, "Paper Valentines" was an interesting case that the only Pro Drum data missing was the snare flams at the end of the guitar solo. Otherwise, no toms at all!

There was a later version of the song from the eventual album that even got some sort of RBN 2.0 conversion, but that will never hit the shop, likely. 'Fraid Creators.RBN ain't never coming back, at this point!

But yeah, good to see those RBN 1.0 songs (and your list!) getting some use!

Cheers,
    - m