DLC Discussion Thread Week of 8/14 - 2 Tracks From Foreigner and a Nightwish Single!

Comments

• sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Hey, is the video on the blog not working for anyone? That's what's happening with me.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4839908 said:

EDIT: What's wrong with the Jukebox Hero we got? I didn't know it was a cover until well into the lifespan of RB3. Even then, I can't tell the difference between it and the original. It's like the cover of Ballroom Blitz (except for the intro). Pretty much 100% the same!
    It's a perfectly fine cover.

But it's not Lou Gramm singing. It doesn't drip with sexual machismo like most classic Foreigner recordings do.

I really hope that HMX doesn't think that Foreigner isn't "big enough" to merit their releasing a master version of a song that's already been in the marketplace for 5 years.*

*I'd also like the master version of "Bang a Gong" for the same reason, too...if the master is available and licensable.
    Accept no substitutes.
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Hooray for Foreigner! I've secretly wanted I Want to Know What Love Is since RB1.
  • RustySpoonsRustySpoons Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    mmetzner;4839900 said:
    So with 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight' last week, and 'Waiting For A Girl Like You' this week, which track from Vice City's Emotion FM can we expect next week? 'Africa' by Toto, or maybe 'Keep On Loving You' by REO Speedwagon? Maybe even 'Broken Wings' by Mr. Mister
    Don't even joke about that, what a week that would be.
    edited August 2012
    Krystof;4839911 said:
    I keep throwing my money at the screen and it's not working!!!!

Try putting it into the disk tray.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I don't get why people get an artist/band they wanted (more of) and then complain about the song choices, seriously. You got the artist/band you wanted, isn't that enough? Some people never get their favourite bands in Rock Band and yet people complain about song choices even though they have (one of) their favourite bands in Rock Band.

It annoys me.
  • KrystofKrystof Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Heavens_Saint;4839934 said:
    I don't get why people get an artist/band they wanted (more of) and then complain about the song choices, seriously. You got the artist/band you wanted, isn't that enough? Some people never get their favourite bands in Rock Band and yet people complain about song choices even though they have (one of) their favourite bands in Rock Band.

It annoys me.
    I want these songs! I want them inside of my xbox now!!
    edited August 2012
    sonicnerd23;4839925 said:
    Hey, is the video on the blog not working for anyone? That's what's happening with me.

Obviously, the enormous amount of awesomeness radiation which is being emitted by the Foreigner tracks has created an electromagnetic wave which is disrupting all electronic devices.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012

It annoys me.
    Its never enough for them
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    Gowienczyk;4839923 said:
    Honestly I'm in the minority camp, but I thought Tarja was awful for her style, I feel Annette is perfect style for power metal and her pieces on the new record proved that to me.

But will be picking up ALL of this.

I can definitely understand how someone might feel that Tarja doesn't meld well with the metal atmosphere, and I think I preferred Annette for a while too. In truth, Dark Passion Play is a pretty fine album.

But then I listened to Imaginaerum with headphones on, and to be blunt, Annette just sounded bad. A bit off-tune.
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Yay Foreigner! Not my favorite songs by the group, but will still buy.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited August 2012
    But then I listened to Imaginaerum with headphones on, and to be blunt, Annette just sounded bad. A bit off-tune.
    I don't agree, personally. I thought it was just as good as DPP if not better.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    grumblevolcano;4839921 said:
    Masters aren't the problem because of GH3 and GH5 both having the song as DLC and they're both the master version. One possibility we haven't got it yet could be Guitar Hero exclusivity, another is that all Foreigner songs released on RB except from "Headknocker" (a deep cut I believe) has charted better than "Juke Box Hero"

It's got to be one of their best-known songs now though. On the Amazon MP3 site, Juke Box Hero shows up 3rd under Foreigner (after the two songs we are getting next week).
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4839937 said:
    Its never enough for them

Never.
    edited August 2012
    These tracks should be rated "M" for "machismo".
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I play almost exclusively vocals so the 2 Foreigner songs are perfect for me, and long overdue. I must have sung those 2 songs about 10 times combined at Karaoke bars in my life
  • BobbyB0909BobbyB0909 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    AWESOME Foreigner tracks!! Thanks Harmonix, for two straight weeks of exciting DLC after a long drought of mediocrity. :)
  • Pernicious0281Pernicious0281 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Two Foreigner songs for me! After last week, my 80's time machine is almost complete.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4839942 said:
    It's got to be one of their best-known songs now though. On the Amazon MP3 site, Juke Box Hero shows up 3rd under Foreigner (after the two songs we are getting next week).

For itunes:

I Want to Know What Love Is
    Waiting For A Girl Like You
    Cold As Ice
    Feels Like the First Time
    Hot Blooded
    Juke Box Hero
    Urgent

"Blue Morning, Blue Day" is later on in the list and the songs "Double Vision" and "Headknocker" aren't in the top 50.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Heavens_Saint;4839943 said:
    Never.

I'm not complaining. Obviously, I would've preferred other tracks, but I'm happy with what we've got.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    So like IT’S MY BIRTHDAY ON TUESDAY!
    Which makes this my first BIRTHDAY DLC! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    I have high hopes, Harmonix! Don’t let me down :3

Mixed Singles First Impressions

Alright, lets start with the NIGHTWISH song! Mainly cuz I know they’re popular around these parts and I want to see what all the hubbub is about. So a pretty great keys intro starts off the song and I’m digging the operatic things that are going on in the background... And some great guitar slamming is going on... I’m digging it quite a bit. I hear that Nightwish is similar to Amberian Dawn, mainly because of the vocals, but the vocalist isn’t as... unlikable here. Her voice does come off as a little obnoxious, but the instruments definitely pick up the slack that her voice gives. They remind me of a softer Halestorm, but Halestorm’s vocalist and guitarist is loads better. But I like what’s going on here. The vocals are starting to grow on me very slightly, even though I do believe they still leave something to be desired. I just wish that the guitar would do something different like, real soon! The vocals had enough time... Alright here it is, the bass is finally audible and the song is pretty nifty right no- alright now the gorgeous keys are playing. I missed them quite a bit. And now harmonies come in and they sound... strange for some reason. I can imagine they would be pretty fun to sing, but they aren’t that fantastic to listen to. And now the song is over. Pretty decent.

Now time for Foreigner! I’ll listen to I Want To Know What Love Is first!
    Whoa. It starts off really calm and mellow, completely unusual for what I know Foreigner to be. The vocals aren’t that fantastic, which makes the song disappointing in 2 fronts. One being Foreigner’s vocalist is fantastic and I like him lots and the second being the mellowness of the song puts the vocals on the spotlight and thus the fact that I dislike it magnifies since it’s so pronounced through the song. Every instrument except for the keys and vocals seem to be doing absolutely nothing, and not even the chorus manages to save the song from monotony. Everything is just dragging on and on... Nothing of the song manages to be memorable or even that noteworthy. Come on, Foreigner! You’re better than this! And after a lot of padding the song is finally over. Wow. I’m sad.

And now the last song of the evening, Waiting For A Girl Like You!
    And there’s an intriguing sound effect that opens the song and I can totally dig it so far. Uh oh. Looks like the mellowness of the last song is back... *crosses fingers*
    Alright, the vocals aren’t that bad. Hey, this guy sounds a bit like Eddie Money in this song. But Eddie Money wins because he’s freaking fantastic. The vocals here lack energy and the instruments also lack passion which makes me sad. The last time we had Foreigner singles, they were STRONG and GREAT. Blargh. At least this song manages to be somewhat interesting compared to I Want To Know What Love Is, with slightly better instruments and slightly more interesting vocals. Unfortunately, it’s not up to the standard that I thought Foreigner placed on themselves. The chorus is half obnoxious and half decent, but at least it’s note worthy. Ok, something is happening.... No wait, the song just did something for like a second and returned back to normal. Another blargh, but a slightly less stronger one.

This week overall... was below average :I
    Nightwish is pretty interesting and I consider it this week’s savior, but COME ON FOREIGNER, YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS >:C
    Not the best birthday present, but I consider the Paramore DLC an early birthday present (seriously, we got my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th favorite Paramore songs in one pack) so Harmonix is still in the clear with me. Thanks for being so awesome, guys :)

In the grand scheme of things, this week is probably lower than the Angels and Airwaves week, making it middle tier in the lower half of the year.

This week in terms of songs:
    Amaranth
    Waiting For A Girl Like You
    I Want To Know What Love Is

Blue is MUST buy
    Green is will buy eventually
    Yellow is will probably buy/high chance of enjoying it later
    Orange is will listen to later to see if my opinion has changed
    Red is probably not going to bother ever again
  • MyaaraapMyaaraap Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4839874 said:
    2 rad Foreigner tracks, their return a year after their last DLC

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Foreigner may not be my favorite band but these 2 songs are, indeed, rad. Definitely classic rock as far as I'm concerned (although I don't care about the label except as a shorthand way of referencing a broad type of music I like). I also think these are the perfect 2 songs to choose. I, as well, would like an updated version of "Juke Box Hero" (there's something weird about how the vocals are charted in the cover that makes it a lot more difficult to sing than it should be. Same with Bowie's "Heroes") but for today, I'd prefer to get 2 great new songs than upgrade something we already have.

The DLC has officially ticked way up in quality the last couple of weeks. Whether that's a response to our comments or coincidence, it's appreciated. It makes it much easier to kick back in total contentment and not feel ignored while people who know who Annette and Tarja are enjoy their "Finish symphonic metal" (that cracks me up. I want to be the first to request some Slavic discordant whale song).
  • edited August 2012
    TheStuddz;4839866 said:
    Yay, Foreigner! I'm buying both songs right away! But still no "Double Vision" or "Long, Long Way From Home"?

Or Head Games but still awesome.
    I love me some Foreigner. Nice job HMX!
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Foreigner? Fricking awesome!!!
  • Ste1narSte1nar Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    More Foreigner..YES!!!
    Thank's alot!
  • DragonclawDragonclaw Road Warrior
    edited August 2012

It annoys me.
    Sometimes it's a worry that a song just isn't a good fit to be fun in the game, or that it's a lesser known track that may not sell well and hinder any hope for better tracks from the band (like with Midnight Oil...with 3 big hits in the US releasing their first release, that was pretty much an unknown track everywhere but Australia makes some of us HOPE for Beds Are Burning, Forgotten Years and Blue Sky Mine...but worry that "sales wont justify seeking more tracks")

That being said I am STOKED for Foreigner, will definately but them Tuesday. I don't know Nightwish well but I'll check 'em out. Probably get it since I know a buddy I jam with has talked about them.
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4839954 said:

Mixed Singles First Impressions

Stuff like "Hot Blooded" is how Foreigner gets chicks to go back to the hotel.

Stuff like "Waiting For A Girl Like You" is for when they get them there.

Apples and oranges.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    samjjones;4839963 said:

Apples and oranges.

and "I wanna know what love is" is for when they are doing the walk of shame
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    samjjones;4839963 said:

Apples and oranges.
    I don't think they can pull of the mellow approach as well as others, and these two tracks definitely show that for me.

I do really like Hot Blooded, Cold As Ice, Jukebox Hero, and I think there's one more, but I forgot. They can do THOSE types of songs really well. They're catchy, they come off as really interesting, every portion of the song works and does things that I can talk positively about and set a standard for Classic Rock as I know it. These other tracks... well they come off as boring and unpleasant to listen to. I prefer Foreigner's apples to their oranges.
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    edited August 2012
    As soon as I see some proper documentation, a work visa, or a valid green card I am all over some Foreigner!