RBN DLC Discussion: 8/9 (Xbox), 8/14 (PS3)

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited August 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Xbox 360 RBN Releases for Thursday, 8/9/2012

Alternative

Trial By Fire – “From the Ground Up” (80 MSP)

Metal

Alestorm – “Back Through Time (2x Bass Pedal)” (160 MSP)
All Shall Perish – “Rebirth (2x Bass Pedal)” (160 MSP)
Asking Alexandria – “To the Stage (2x Bass Pedal)” (160 MSP)
Halcyon Way – “Our Finest Hour” (80 MSP)
Saint Vitus – “Blessed Night” (160 MSP)

Rock

Catsmelvin – “Wrong Side” (160 MSP)

PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 8/14/2012 (North America) and 8/15/2012 (Europe)

Strikken - "Forever in Lies" ($0.99) - Metal
Strikken - "The Final Act" ($0.99) - Metal
Strikken - "Ashes" ($0.99) - Metal
The Motion Sick - "Grace Kelly" ($0.99) - Indie Rock
Lil Deuce Deuce - "I Like Trains" ($0.99) - Reggae/Ska

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I love Grace Kelly. I hope we get more from The Motion Sick.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2012
    For our PS3 brethren :
    Here's vids of the songs we've got hitting this Tuesday :

Strikken - "Forever in Lies" ($0.99) - Metal
    http://youtu.be/SOw-Tsedu4U
    Strikken - "The Final Act" ($0.99) - Metal
    http://youtu.be/Cwh8GirhFzY
    Strikken - "Ashes" ($0.99) - Metal
    http://youtu.be/5cJdcYkW-QM
    Lil Deuce Deuce - "I Like Trains" ($0.99) - Reggae/Ska
    http://youtu.be/TG7Vo8jhxaI
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Wow, a 5/5 PS3 week. These are the best, especially when I only know one of the songs beforehand. Strikken is total gold, and "Grace Kelly" gets purchased simply due to that acoustic guitar awesomeness.

Also, I Like Trains!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I got these:
    Halcyon Way – “Our Finest Hour”
    Saint Vitus – “Blessed Night”
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited August 2012
    $0.02 (give or take a penny):

1. I'm much more likely to preview and purchase $0.99 cent RBN metal tracks than $1.99 so yay for that.

2. "Forever in Lies" = no buy. too much growly vocals for me...but quick question for anyone who knows - Why are the opening cymbal hits on this song not charted? Same thing with the "openings" to numous other songs has always had me wondering the reason.

3. "The Final Act" = Will most likely buy. The vocalist for this band reminds me of Mike Patton.

4. "Ashes" = Most likely won't buy...

5. "Grace Kelly" = undecided. the near ending drum part that alternates between the blue cymbal/floor tom andyellow cymbal/snare looks kinda different. But not sure if it's enough to make me want to buy.

6. "I Like Trains" = ...and I like the song. Will buy.
    edited August 2012
    The opening cymbal hits are the count in for the song. They're never charted. We tend to chart the animation for them (even though the aren't charted game play wise), because on the off chance that the camera swings around towards the drummer during the count in, I always thought it was odd that you could hear a cymbal count in being hit, but the drummer was just sitting there staring at you.
    edited August 2012
    Sounds...reasonable, even if it doesn't really explain why other than "we've always done it that way."

Is it a timing thing, fear that the drummer (in most cases) isn't paying attention, or not part of the stems, maybe some authoring rule that HMX has set up (for whatever reason)... or is it really that "we've (as in all authoring groups, HMX included, and not just TAG ...obviously) always done it that way" is the only reason.

(BTW, not trying to be snide if it reads like that... just curious).
    edited August 2012
    No it's a Harmonix rule that every song have a count in.

We might be one of the only groups that animate the drummer for the count in, but every song in the game has that audible count in that isn't authored.
    edited August 2012
    What do you mean by every song having a count in? Have I really never noticed it on all songs???

...and I appreciate the responses. I seem to learn something new about this game every time I ask a (silly) question or blurt something out that's obvious to most everyone else :)
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    The count in for "Death in the Garden" (on glockenspiel!) is my favorite. But it's charted to keys, so I'll have to look at the animation next time I play it and see if the keyboard player is animated as playing during the count in.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah go and play any song in the game and you'll hear that 1,2, 1,2,3,4 cymbal or percussion count in hit at the start of the songs before the music kicks in proper.
    edited August 2012
    I'll be checking this out when I get home tonight for sure. Guess my wife may be right when she mentions that I'm oblivious sometimes. :p
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4838865 said:
    Yeah go and play any song in the game and you'll hear that 1,2, 1,2,3,4 cymbal or percussion count in hit at the start of the songs before the music kicks in proper.

Not every song will have it though. There are (very) rare exceptions to the count-in rule; if an unauthored instrument part opens the song, it can usually serve as the count-in since the instrument is getting you used to the timing (some Green Day songs with unauthored piano intros do this, and we did this for Heavy Weather by Rainbowdragoneyes since the intro stems were unusable for authoring).

But yeah, aside from those every single song must have a count-in.
    edited August 2012
    Yep... Just played 10 or so random songs and even though it's not always as obvious (some songs just had 2 low level "taps") as others, it's definitely there. See, learn something new. Thanks TAG for the education.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    Totally called I Like Trains.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Arcanon;4838960 said:
    Not every song will have it though. There are (very) rare exceptions to the count-in rule; if an unauthored instrument part opens the song, it can usually serve as the count-in since the instrument is getting you used to the timing (some Green Day songs with unauthored piano intros do this, and we did this for Heavy Weather by Rainbowdragoneyes since the intro stems were unusable for authoring).

But yeah, aside from those every single song must have a count-in.

Even when there are lead in insruments, they usually add a light count in (see Radio Free Europe and Kung Fu Fighting)

One of the songs I was going for was Rayman Origins' Tricky Treasure Theme, and if I would have got that I would have added in an extra count in before the count in, it being such an instrumental part of the song to not have the player play.

Also, it's usually 1-3 1234, but not always. For instance, I did Gemini 1e& 2e& 3e& 4e& (the drum part from the bridge) so that the hits would feel more natural.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I find it weird when you play the count in, whatever it's charted to, because to me it defeats the purpose of the count in.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    TubaDude49;4841347 said:
    One of the songs I was going for was Rayman Origins' Tricky Treasure Theme

WHAT!?

You need to try again.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Lowlander2;4841422 said:
    WHAT!?

You need to try again.

I still am, I've just having a hard time even getting a response.