Vinyl Discussion Thread

SuperTigerMarioSuperTigerMario I'm not a hipster!
edited July 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Ok so here it is. Recently I have become obsessed with vinyl and have started collecting and listening. I'm only at about 350 maybe 400 albums right now but I have a long way to go.

So I figured there must be others out there like me. So this is a place that I thought it would be cool to post our collections, setups, yard sale finds and everything else related to vinyl.

Enjoy!

Comments

• ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    One of the best records I've come across is Chipmunk Punk, easily worth $1
  • SuperTigerMarioSuperTigerMario I'm not a hipster!
    edited August 2012
    Is that what I think it is?
    edited August 2012
    Yes, a record with the Chipmunks singing songs that have no similarity to punk music.

I was big into collecting records down in Georgia, have almost 300 on last count. My greatest accomplishment is owning every Bob Dylan record available, (studio, live and compilation.)
    edited August 2012
    Holy crap that is impressive.

Right now I'm working on getting every doors album. I could just get them all on ebay but I find it much more fun to find them at sales and stores.
    edited August 2012
    Ok I got it finally.

Scored these all for 50 cents each the other day.
    edited August 2012
    Nice score with Big Brother, the one I have has a big rip at the bottom. I only got it because it was cheap and one of my favorite albums to listen too.

I have yet to come across any Steve Martin, really nice grab there.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah he also had Let's Get Small which is probably my favorite Martin album but the condition was not what I wanted.

Also if you've never heard The Great White North I highly recommend it. Hilarious.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited August 2012
    I have Ghost in the Machine as well.

I'll try finding the good records I have and take pictures of 'em.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah do that please.
    edited August 2012
    I need to take a picture of some of my other great finds, edit in a bit.Monty Python, Sonny & Cher, Weird Al and Fleetwood Mac
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I'm not a huge vinyl purist, but I've come across a few fun items over the years, like soundtracks for The Black Hole, Explorers, The Dark Crystal and Superman II, all of which have been released on CD just in the last few years, so they're a little less special now. I still have a ton of old read-along records and 80s pop records, as well as some great old Muppet albums. My personal fave is a set of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial narrated by Michael Jackson from 1982. Let me tell you friends, it is excellent. I even got a friend of mine to transfer it to CD years ago for convenience of listening.

On a related note, they're releasing a 3-DVD boxset next month called Steve Martin: The Television Stuff which will include a bunch of his stand-up specials and old television appearances. Fans of Steve Martin's old stuff will NEED to check that out.
    edited August 2012
    Awesome info Rockox, thanks.

That Micheal Jackson thing sounds pretty cool.

Also Clapton those albums are pretty cool. I haven't found any Al yet but I really want to.
    edited August 2012
    edited August 2012
    Hahaha nice.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Rockox;4845444 said:
    Oh, and this.

Ooh, that one probably makes the top 5 list of bad movies I've seen in the theatre. I went because a kid in my school spent some time as an actor in that duck costume.

[ goes to imdb -- hey, here he is! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0696015/ ]
    edited August 2012
    You know you've made it when you've played a giant bag of weed.
    edited August 2012
    SuperTigerMario;4845563 said:
    You know you've made it when you've played a giant bag of weed.

best. role. ever.
    edited August 2012
    bclewis;4845551 said:
    a kid in my school spent some time as an actor in that duck costume.

That's awesome. If I were him, I would've told everyone I was in the scene where Lea Thompson was prancing around in her pannies. Though I guess if he really wanted to impress people, he'd make like he wasn't involved in the flick at all.

You still know him? You should get him to sign my album. It'd be worth a fortune.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah a fortune! Maybe like $25.

Anyway I picked up AC/DC - If you want Blood and Led Zeppelin I from a sale today.

I won't bother with photos because neither are in great condition but it's the first time I've ever seen Zep's first album.
    edited August 2012
    Rockox;4845691 said:
    You still know him? You should get him to sign my album. It'd be worth a fortune.

Nah, I didn't even know him that well at the time, he was a grade behind me. I still thought it was cool that a guy I saw all the time in my school was in the movies. Of course, you can't see that it's him in the movie, and I think he was among a handful of actors in that suit.

I didn't realize it was him as that bag of weed in Harold & Kumar until STM pointed it out, though I did recognize him in an episode of "Lost Girl" a while back.
    edited August 2012
    SuperTigerMario;4846194 said:
    Yeah a fortune! Maybe like $25.

Anyway I picked up AC/DC - If you want Blood and Led Zeppelin I from a sale today.

I won't bother with photos because neither are in great condition but it's the first time I've ever seen Zep's first album.

Seems like to find those kind of records cheap, youre likely to find them mixed in the random Latino collections. That's where I found Pink Floyd's Animals and Clash's Give Em Enough Rope.
  • boodeanboodean Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I have about 150 of them and still play them sometimes {most of them are Classic Rock}
    edited August 2012
    SuperTigerMario;4845340 said:
    The Great White North

The first time I ever heard that album it was on CD and I was confused by the moments of silence during "You Are Our Guest." It wasn't until I got it on vinyl years later that I realized there was text in the liner notes that the listener is supposed to say alongside Bob and Doug's dialogue.
    edited August 2012
    edited August 2012
    Do any of you guys try to do this with your records, or do you keep them stored away?
    edited August 2012
    All of my records are stacked on a shelf in my basement.
    edited August 2012
    dragoninforcer;4847514 said:
    All of my records are stacked on a shelf in my basement.

let em breath, they want to be heard. Whether they're being played or hanging up for display, don't deny their rich value.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I collect vinyl. Right now the "prize" of my collection may well be a thrift find I scored a couple of week's back: Yoko Ono's release with the Plastic Ono Band. And... yeah, it's about what you'd expect.
    edited August 2012
    dragoninforcer;4847488 said:

Let's get down to brass tacks. Name some prices daddio.
    ClaptonsWig;4847513 said:
    Do any of you guys try to do this with your records, or do you keep them stored away?
    Actually me and a friend have just begun a project to constuct ourselves a record shelf and a wall hanging display thing. It should be really cool if it comes out like in my mind.
    FujiSkunk;4847658 said:
    I collect vinyl. Right now the "prize" of my collection may well be a thrift find I scored a couple of week's back: Yoko Ono's release with the Plastic Ono Band. And... yeah, it's about what you'd expect.

Awesome! Glad to have you here. Please feel free to post whenever you get a new find.
    edited August 2012
    Well this week was horrible for me. I didn't find one got dang thing.