The new Ouya gaming console to take on Xbox and Playstation consoles...

Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/ouya-game-console-succeed-192927376.html

Wow bruther. I didn't see this coming. only 100 dollars dude. Comes with an controller dude. It only has digital downloads for games though bruther. Might be worth checking out dude.

Comments

• dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited August 2012
    >yahoo

shiggy diggy doo da
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4845574 said:
    mhm

but the artcle topic said to compete with xbox and playstation bruther.
  • edited August 2012
    It looks like it's just phone games for your TV.
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4845578 said:
    It looks like it's just phone games for your TV.

but that's the new fad bruther. Angry birds for your big screen bruther.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    Hogan2000;4845577 said:

that quote is from the same article. Looks like it wont be competing. Also competing with Xbox,PS3 and Wii is not a good thing to do right now because within the next year(and a few months) I think we will have a new system from each of the three.
  • edited August 2012
    Hogan2000;4845580 said:
    but that's the new fad bruther. Angry birds for your big screen bruther.

I can already do that on my PS3.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited August 2012
    I can already do that on an iPod.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    Any reason why Wii isn't part of the Topic Title? :I
  • edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4845585 said:

Because it lost the console wars.
    edited August 2012

Because the wii is a door stopper bruther not a gaming console dude.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012

Because no one cares about the Wii and saying it will compete with the Wii is pointless because my iPhone is more powerful than the Wii?
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012

Because
    edited August 2012
    This is why the Wii isn't part of the conversation bruther.

How many times has somebody said, "What about the Wii?" when a game or dlc comes out dude?

People use to say that all the time in Rock Band bruther because something released on sony and microsoft that didn't get released on the wii bruther.

Same with games bruther. How many games are delayed on the Wii bruther? On Playstation and Microsoft they come out on the schedule release date bruther. But the Wii dude gets a release date that 3 months and sometimes 4 months after it comes out on the PS3 and Xbox dude. Gaming companies aren't showing a strong support to the wii like the do for sony and microsoft dude.

Just my thoughts dude but I'm sure someone will argue this bruther
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I see it more as the Wii sold like hot cakes to a demographic outside of gamers. As for most gamers that own a Wii, chances are they also own an XBox and/or a PS3 and they merely own a Wii for the Nintendo exclusive titles.
    MagicMurderBag7;4845589 said:

How is that possible? I usually own the console that loses the console wars for each generation and this generation's console that I have is a PS3.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Ouya is less important in terms of its hardware and more important in terms of the ecosystem they hope to develop through it. They're hoping to create a standardized platform for indie developers, although I think that Tegra 3 is still too low of hardware specs to really be competitive (guess they've gotten some good pricing from Nvidia to take that now rather than wait for OMAP6, Exynos 5, the second generation of Snapdragon S4, or even Tegra 4, all of which are likely to be considerably more powerful mobile SoCs). If anything, the hardware as it exists may hold back more indie devs than anything.
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4845589 said:
    Tee hee.
    Hogan2000;4845590 said:
    Because the wii is a door stopper bruther not a gaming console dude.
    >:[
    Hogan2000;4845598 said:
    This is why the Wii isn't part of the conversation bruther.

How many times has somebody said, "What about the Wii?" when a game or dlc comes out dude?

People use to say that all the time in Rock Band bruther because something released on sony and microsoft that didn't get released on the wii bruther.

Same with games bruther. How many games are delayed on the Wii bruther? On Playstation and Microsoft they come out on the schedule release date bruther. But the Wii dude gets a release date that 3 months and sometimes 4 months after it comes out on the PS3 and Xbox dude. Gaming companies aren't showing a strong support to the wii like the do for sony and microsoft dude.

Just my thoughts dude but I'm sure someone will argue this bruther
    I won't.
    I own all 3 consoles and I feel the Wii is by far the best.
    edited August 2012
    Gotta give you credit for doubling down on crazy, Cipher. Were it not for the motion control technology (which is a bit inconsistent but Nintendo has done pretty well with it, all things considered) and Nintendo's long-standing intellectual property, I'd call the Wii a halfway-decent "me too" competitor to the PS2. :)
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    Hogan2000;4845577 said:

and from all the topics i've seen you make here. you read the headline, then post it here.

try reading the full article first next time ;)

(also, headlines are made to make someone interested in it. so don't look all surprised when they're 1000000x more spectacular then the actual article)
    edited August 2012
    In all fairness, Ouya plans to have a floating hardware spec, which means you'll likely see more powerful Ouya (or Ouya-compatible) devices all the time. Considering where mobile SoCs are going, you likely will see something based on the Ouya spec that is, performance-wise, a rival to the Xbox 360 or PS3 within the next year or maybe two.
    edited August 2012
    Ehhhhhh, hardware strength isn't something I'm concerned with.
    I just want a machine that'll be easy to make games for, and higher specs means more money pumped into projects to make them "look pretty".

The Ouya seems like it'll be great to make games for, and with the lower barrier of entry more games can enter the market. I, however, am very very cynical towards kickstarter, and right now my feelings is that it'll never come out. I will gladly eat my words and buy it if it does.
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4845820 said:
    I just want a machine that'll be easy to make games for, and higher specs means more money pumped into projects to make them "look pretty".

The Ouya seems like it'll be great to make games for, and with the lower barrier of entry more games can enter the market. I, however, am very very cynical towards kickstarter, and right now my feelings is that it'll never come out. I will gladly eat my words and buy it if it does.

they were actually already going to bring it out before kickstarter. they went to kickstarter for extra money to make it even better. but it's definitely coming.
    edited August 2012
    In all reality, the ability to make games more easily and inexpensively is something more to do with development tools, in which case Microsoft is pretty far out in front, with Sony a ways behind and Nintendo even further back.

Then again, Nintendo allows developers to make games "cheaply" because the hardware specs for their systems are so low. (The 3DS is only slightly more powerful of hardware than the now-ancient PSP, for instance.)
    edited August 2012
    Unfortunately, Nintendo has unusual gimmicks, for the lack of a better word, to make development less than straight forward.

Which is why the Ouya looks to be promising, but I won't hold my breath.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2012
    I actually hadn't heard of this... thing until a month or so after it was announced.

It's a cheap console, and it should cater well to casual gamers, but I seriously doubt that this will even stand a chance to Xbox or Playstation.

I mean, just look at it. It's phone games on your TV. It's a fad, and what happens to fads? They die out and get replaced with new fads. Before this console has had a proper lifespan people will move on to the next fad, whether it be extreme nutshots or the next shooter, Call of Halo: Modern Gears.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Are they going to sell them at CVS?
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4845820 said:

You do know that you have been playing with 6+year old tech right? Saying it will rival 360 specs these days means nothing.
    Ehfahq;4846028 said:
    Are they going to sell them at CVS?
    ^
    This. lol.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    a cheap open source console? emulation is going to be it's main function.
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    It's certainly cheap enough to succeed. However no console can get anywhere without a killer app, and I really don't see why any developer, big or small, would have an incentive to make an Ouya exclusive game when there are already so many established channels to release games through.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    the console looks like something I would lose in a drawer. Do not want
    edited August 2012
    nascargo19;4846635 said:
    the console looks like something I would lose in a drawer. Do not want

*finds a Rubik's Cube in nascargo19's sock drawer*