Death on Two Legs..?

word_cottonword_cotton Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Don't get me wrong I love this song whole heartedly but does anyone else find this as a very strange selection from Queen? I would have expected the likes of A Kind of Magic or Breakthru but never Death on Two Legs.

Comments

• TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4845757 said:
    well, i would've expected a different song by them myself. you'd think HMX would try to get one of their better known songs in this game to up the sales a little bit. If it was licensed at the same time as the last queen pack i'd think it would make more sense to put something like "Bicycle Race" or something in it.

Unleeeessssss, there's a new queen pack coming :3

I seriously hope that's the case. I really need some of their late 80s hits (innuendo and breakthru above all), as well as save me and good old faishoned lover boy.

I really dig the choices HMX did with queen so far. I guess they'll never disappoint me. :)
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    HMX will choose less popular songs from bands sometimes if they're a good fit for the gameplay. I think they chose the perfect Queen song for Blitz, and I imagine a lot of people who have never heard it before will grow to love it. We already have a bunch of their hits, so I don't think going for a deeper cut should be too controversial here.
    RockBandRocker;4845688 said:
    I just hope it has the intro intact.

I'm still a little bit miffed that "Tie Your Mother Down" doesn't have the intro on it.

I believe TYMD had two versions - a single and album version. I'm pretty sure DOTL only has the one version.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    Death on Two Legs is my 2nd favorite song by Queen, 1st being Bo Rhap. I'm pretty pleased :D
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    Magnet;4845771 said:
    HMX will choose less popular songs from bands sometimes if they're a good fit for the gameplay. I think they chose the perfect Queen song for Blitz, and I imagine a lot of people who have never heard it before will grow to love it. We already have a bunch of their hits, so I don't think going for a deeper cut should be too controversial here.
    which would also make me think that HMX would have been better off putting one of the songs from the queen pack that has almost nothing on 1 part (bicycle race, don't stop me now on guitar for example) simply because i can assume that missing 1 instrument most of the song would be less "bothersome" in Blitz then in a game where most people play just the guitar.

i'm sure DOTL will be fun in Blitz. but i also think it would have been more fun in RB3 than some of the other songs from the queen pack. If the pack and this song were licensed at the same time and they had a choice, i would've switched DOTL with a different one.

but of course i could just be the weird person here being 100% wrong :p
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Well, I'm just glad that many people who don't know the song and are interested in Blitz will have the chance to learn how awesome it is by playing the game, like how people will find new songs to love on the on-disc setlists of other music games. While radio hits can help get people interested in the game, I think the Blitz set list has plenty of them, and not every song needs to fall into that category.

Bothersome is a strong word, but I do think it will be less fun when there are less instruments to play in Blitz. The more choices of instruments you have to play at a given point in the song, the more power-ups you can collect and the more you can continue to switch tracks to grow each instrument's multiplier.

If they did switch DOTL with another hit from the last pack, I think a lot less people would wind up owning DOTL and having it as an option to play online, which would make me sad.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    It's a wacky pick, but the song's cool and I think it will be fun. I would have liked something off the first two Queen albums (March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle, Liar, etc) but this will be just fine. Maybe we'll get lucky and have another massive DLC pack later this year.
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    Magnet;4845830 said:
    Well, I'm just glad that many people who don't know the song and are interested in Blitz will have the chance to learn how awesome it is by playing the game, like how people will find new songs to love on the on-disc setlists of other music games. While radio hits can help get people interested in the game, I think the Blitz set list has plenty of them, and not every song needs to fall into that category.

Bothersome is a strong word, but I do think it will be less fun when there are less instruments to play in Blitz. The more choices of instruments you have to play at a given point in the song, the more power-ups you can collect and the more you can continue to switch tracks to grow each instrument's multiplier.

If they did switch DOTL with another hit from the last pack, I think a lot less people would wind up owning DOTL and having it as an option to play online, which would make me sad.

oh definitely. i am glad people will get to know it now. but then again,people that would've bought the entire queen pack would have gotten it discounted and might get it because of that. now some people might not get Blitz because they "don't know" the song(s) that were chosen for it.

and yes, bothersome is a strong word, which is why i put it in ""s couldn't really find any other word for it that fast :p
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Okay, let's trade Death with Dragon Attack? Is that better. :P
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    Imagine Good Old Fashioned Loverboy scores, missing instruments all over and timed almost perfectly for blitz.
    edited August 2012
    Dangimarocker;4845860 said:
    Okay, let's trade Death with Dragon Attack? Is that better. :P
    I've never heard of Dragon Attack, but that's a cool name.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 2012
    It sure is an odd choice in terms of the whole hits vs deep cuts argument. It's a good Queen song and Magnet's logic is spot on as it isn't particularly well known (I was very surprised that Cipher had heard of it). The annoying achievements of Blitz will also help as those people who want to 100% games will be faced against the tough challenge of Gold Starring every single song on the setlist (I predict the easiest song would be "So Far Away").
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4845847 said:
    but then again,people that would've bought the entire queen pack would have gotten it discounted and might get it because of that. now some people might not get Blitz because they "don't know" the song(s) that were chosen for it.

It's possible Blitz might sell slightly more with a bigger Queen hit, but I also think the last Queen DLC pack would have sold less if the songs were swapped and a hit was replaced with a deep cut. So there's a compromise either way. If HMX tried to have every song on the soundtrack be a hit to get the most interest possible, the licensing costs could become too prohibitive for the game's price point. Personally, I think they've found a nice balance between hits and deeper cuts.
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4845893 said:
    I've never heard of Dragon Attack, but that's a cool name.

It has a really cool drum solo in it :)
    It's very rockin' too.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    Queen Extravaganza 03!

GET PUMPED!
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4846041 said:
    There are literally no more Queen songs I want left. All of my favorites are now in Rock Band.

If someone truly loved a band they always want more from them
    edited August 2012
    There are literally no more Queen songs I want left. All of my favorites are now in Rock Band.
    edited August 2012
    Death on Two Legs was the last Queen song from my iPod to make it to Rock Band.
    I love them and I'll accept more from them, but now all of the songs I like by them are all represented in Rock Band.
    edited August 2012

If someone truly loved a band they always want more from them
    edited August 2012
    I love them and I'll accept more from them, but now all of the songs I like by them are all represented in Rock Band.
    edited August 2012

That's a disgrace, they have so much better songs than what half we have........
    This being one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuHnRuRtEY&feature=related
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4846054 said:
    Spread Your Wings
    Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)
    Jealousy
    In Only Seven Days
    It's Late
    The March Of The Black Queen
    She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stilettoes)
    Is This The World We Created...

Have you not heard of these songs yet or you don't like em?
  • word_cottonword_cotton Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I could only imagine the harmonies on a song such as the Prophet's Song.
  • o-TH3-KN1GHT-oo-TH3-KN1GHT-o Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    There's never enough Queen! I really hope we get another pack this year with at least 6 songs. Even if now it's mostly 3-4 songs a week, HMX must know that it easily sells well, right?

Queen Extravaganza Pack 03

The March of the Black Queen
    Living On My Own ( but please, not the crappy "dance/electro" remix... )
    My Melancholy Blues
    Mustapha ( those VOCALS!! xD love it )
    A Kind of Magic
    Who Wants to Live Forever

Keeping "Breakthru", "The Invisible Man" and "Flash" ( AH-aaaaaaaaah! ) for another pack. :p Probably around the movie's release.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2012
    The Prophets song would be a lot better (especially for Rock Band playability) if the a capella part was about four hours shorter.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Magnet;4845771 said:
    I believe TYMD had two versions - a single and album version. I'm pretty sure DOTL only has the one version.

That doesn't really apply, though. Harmonix has released unique edits or mixes of songs before, even without counting new endings to replace face-outs. Sticking with Queen, "I Want to Break Free" is a custom mix in the game, sort of halfway between the album version and the extended dance mix.

Oh, and until we get "Flash" and "A Kind of Magic," I will always want more Queen.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    FujiSkunk;4846240 said:
    That doesn't really apply, though. Harmonix has released unique edits or mixes of songs before, even without counting new endings to replace face-outs. Sticking with Queen, "I Want to Break Free" is a custom mix in the game, sort of halfway between the album version and the extended dance mix.

I'm not quite sure how you can say there being one version doesn't apply and then list a song with three versions as a counterexample. (Also, "I Want to Break Free" sounds just like the 4 minute single version to me, with an altered ending to account for the fade-out.)

In any case, the version of DOTL in Blitz isn't altered from how it appears on the album, so it's kind of a moot point.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Death on Two Legs is an excellent song choice. I don't think I'll be picking up Blitz, but I'm glad to see a Queen deep cut getting representation. Deep cuts in general need more representation in RB because their just often so much better than hits. Queen's a band who's greatest songs are overshadowed by their big hits, and I think it's just a shame because they were making some really incredible music between their first album and News of the World. That's my opinion at least for the hits vs. deep cuts argument.

But still, thanks HMX, superb choice.
    edited August 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4846184 said:
    The Prophets song would be a lot better (especially for Rock Band playability) if the a capella part was about four hours shorter.

No. That makes it better, it'd probably become the most challenging harmonies ever.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I'm extremely thrilled that this song is coming to Rock Band. A Night at the Opera is one of my favorite Queen albums, and the deep cuts are just as good as the hits. Let's hope they get '39, Sweet Lady, and/or The Prophet's Song when they do the next Queen pack.
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    sonicnerd23;4846447 said:
    I'm extremely thrilled that this song is coming to Rock Band. A Night at the Opera is one of my favorite Queen albums, and the deep cuts are just as good as the hits. Let's hope they get '39, Sweet Lady, and/or The Prophet's Song when they do the next Queen pack.

Dont forget Seaside Rendezvous!

As my sig clearly shows, no band gets more love from me than Queen, and I'm super thrilled that this song made it in! This is actually the Queen song I picked for my RB 4 dream list. remaining hopeful for a Queen Extravaganza 03!!! So many timeless songs left to play!