What is Rock Band World...?

edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Hey gang!

If you log in today, you may notice our "Rock Band Dashboard" Facebook App looks a little different. We're prepping some (fracking AWESOME) new features for when Rock Band Blitz launches, and rolled out the new app to get it all tested and ready for you all on Aug. 28.

You can't play with all the new features yet - some of them require Rock Band Blitz - but you can still add items to your Wishlist, check out the new Shopping Cart feature, and keep track of your RB3 scores.

Please be patient if you run into errors - we're actively tweaking things as we're finding issues. Feel free to include feedback in this thread. We'll have a more formal announcement detailing the new features closer to Rock Band Blitz's launch. But just for a level set, expect this to be VERY MUCH in a beta state until RB Blitz launches to the world. GET HYPE!

More info on Rock Band World coming next week.

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4847184 said:
    quick question, the things like goals and score wars in this, can they also be done from in-game? because if i have to go to facebook everytime i want to start a score war then i'm pretty much not gonna bother >_>

like the way it looks though :D
    I'd repeat that old Community Manager motto, "Try it, you might like it!"
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    None of my RB3 stats are showing up. It also says I completed 0 songs and gold-starred 0 songs.

Other than that, it looks great. I can't wait to learn whatever the hell "scavenger hunt" could be.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Okay, I found a solution to my Safari problem. I changed my 'Block cookies' setting (under 'Privacy') from 'From third parties and advertisers' to 'Never', reloaded Rock Band World, and everything started to work! That's really strange, I've never had a problem with a site because of this setting before. Oh well, I thought I'd post the solution just in case anyone else was having the same problem. Also, it looks like you can change the setting back and the app will continue to work. I guess it just has to be able to set the cookies once or something?
    edited August 2012
    Wait a sec, I just noticed something. From the 'goals' page:
    Goals are a way to play Rock Band Blitz and Rock Band 3 cooperatively with friends and the Rock Band community, earning badges for your profile and coins to use in Rock Band Blitz.
    Emphasis mine. This could just be inexact wording, but this really sounds like we'll be able to earn Blitz coins by playing Rock Band 3! If this is true, this means that Harmonix is effectively adding functionality (and cross-title functionality at that) to a 2 year old game! That would be pretty incredible IMO, and almost certainly unprecedented.
  • edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4847230 said:
    Wait a sec, I just noticed something. From the 'goals' page:

Emphasis mine. This could just be inexact wording, but this really sounds like we'll be able to earn Blitz coins by playing Rock Band 3! If this is true, this means that Harmonix is effectively adding functionality (and cross-title functionality at that) to a 2 year old game! That would be pretty incredible IMO, and almost certainly unprecedented.

Yeah, it's a thing we pushed for. We'll see how it all works! (that's part of the reason we made this live now, before actual launch, to test stuff out.)
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Jibblypuff;4847184 said:
    quick question, the things like goals and score wars in this, can they also be done from in-game? because if i have to go to facebook everytime i want to start a score war then i'm pretty much not gonna bother

Score Wars can be created ingame, but only for opponent/song pairs that the game suggests. If you want to create one versus a specific opponent on a specific song, you can do that via Facebook. We made this choice to make it quick and easy ingame and avoid a TON of complicated UI.
    horsepastriesa;4847207 said:
    None of my RB3 stats are showing up. It also says I completed 0 songs and gold-starred 0 songs.

Yes, this is a known issue, thanks. We're working on getting everyone's RB3 data feeds working right now.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I'm guessing the cross-game coin thingy will only work if you have a facebook account? If so, then that's annoying for us psychopaths.
    edited August 2012
    HMXPope;4847256 said:
    Yeah, it's a thing we pushed for. We'll see how it all works! (that's part of the reason we made this live now, before actual launch, to test stuff out.)
    Well, that's pretty nuts of you guys, and also incredibly cool. All this "Rock Band as a platform" stuff really keeps things fresh for the hardcore fans!
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Blasteroids;4847279 said:
    I'm guessing the cross-game coin thingy will only work if you have a facebook account? If so, then that's annoying for us psychopaths.
    Yes. Goals only work with Facebook (there's no way to join them without linking your Console ID).

Also I've reported you to the authorities.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4847294 said:
    Also I've reported you to the authorities.

Be Seeing You
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Looks really nice, and my RB3 scores are working as well!

Is it just me, or are we unable to browse the lists of most wanted artists? I can currently only see my personal wishlists and how those bands are ranked.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2012

Interesting read - thanks for the link.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I don't know if I'm insulted or frightened by that article.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4847193 said:
    Issues that I see:

Bullet For My Valentine shows up as latest DLC

I'm seeing that too, followed by Iron Maiden.
  • HMXchristineHMXchristine Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4847219 said:
    Okay, I found a solution to my Safari problem. I changed my 'Block cookies' setting (under 'Privacy') from 'From third parties and advertisers' to 'Never', reloaded Rock Band World, and everything started to work! That's really strange, I've never had a problem with a site because of this setting before. Oh well, I thought I'd post the solution just in case anyone else was having the same problem. Also, it looks like you can change the setting back and the app will continue to work. I guess it just has to be able to set the cookies once or something?
    Indeed. This is a known issue, but it's with the way Safari handles cookies. Apparently it has the "block third party cookies" on by default, where other browsers do not. This would affect basically any Facebook app, as far as we're aware. It will work in other browsers just fine, or your solution will also get you into the app.
    edited August 2012
    HMXcj;4847790 said:
    Indeed. This is a known issue, but it's with the way Safari handles cookies. Apparently it has the "block third party cookies" on by default, where other browsers do not. This would affect basically any Facebook app, as far as we're aware. It will work in other browsers just fine, or your solution will also get you into the app.
    Okay, I guess I've just never tried any other Facebook apps in Safari then! Thanks for the heads up.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4847165 said:
    Hopefully just a temporary issue.
    It is, you can delete Safari and use a better browser at any time.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I just got much more anxious to learn how else coins can be acquired. As someone who has never bothered with Facebook before and has no intention of starting now, this news is sending chills up my spine.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Regular play? I doubt it's different from, say, Halo: Reach, which has you earning cR for playing, cR for Challenges, and now you can even make custom Challenges on the Halo site for cR.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    This looks amusing. So, no more "folks with similar DLC" and public community wishlists? I can't get to either.
  • AnacondaAnaconda Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I'm guessing the cross-game coin thingy will only work if you have a facebook account?
    So I wont be able to use bonuses without facebook account?
    You guys seriously dont want me to play Blitz.
    Well I'm gonna buy it as a song pack for RB3. (still I'm really dissapointed!)
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    Anaconda;4848040 said:
    So I wont be able to use bonuses without facebook account?
    You guys seriously dont want me to play Blitz.
    Well I'm gonna buy it as a song pack for RB3. (still I'm really dissapointed!)

if someone asks a question then that isn't a confirmation that that's how it's gonna be.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    From my understanding this Facebook stuff is only to get MORE coins. You will still be able to play a full functioning game without Facebook. And if you really want those coins make a Facebook, it doesn't take long and you can make up a fake name.
  • AnacondaAnaconda Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    From my understanding this Facebook stuff is only to get MORE coins
    I hope you are right. But Harmonix already wrote that you wont be able to get coins (and so use bonuses) without internet connection, so maybe facebook integration is the reason? Totally random shot, I hope its not.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2012
    Anaconda;4848115 said:
    I hope you are right. But Harmonix already wrote that you wont be able to get coins (and so use bonuses) without internet connection, so maybe facebook integration is the reason? Totally random shot, I hope its not.

It appeared to me that he was talking very specifically about the cross-game goals, ie earning Blitz coins by playing RB3, which makes some sense for it to require an external web app of some sort. One would imagine that the goals within Blitz will still be recognized within Blitz regardless.
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    So is the shopping cart in the Facebook app only applicable to Xbox people? Or did you guys find a way to make that work with the PS3 too?
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4847219 said:

Thanks!

It's nice to have the Dashboard working again.

Kind of mad I had to reset my artist wishlist and lost the extra points I had for having an artist on my list get DLC, but it's not really that much of a deal breaker. I have my most wanted artists on there and 10 points is more than enough (for now).

Speaking of extra points, what's the deal with those? Are they coming back?
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    Question, since the game is integrated into facebook, does this mean we'll be able to do Score Wars and compete with folks on different platforms?
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    What do coins do exactly? Do you have to buy the powerups with coins? If you have a bajillion coins, can you buy a song? Or is that just asking for too much? Do you only get coins from completing goals? Can you get smaller amounts of coins for completing a song without completing any goals?
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Anaconda;4848115 said:
    You don't need facebok to earn coins but you will need an internet connection. I'm sure the reason for the always connected coin system is to allow for it to work with facebook also. You won't need a facebook account to earn coins, but you will be behind the 8-ball a bit without it.

Question, since the game is integrated into facebook, does this mean we'll be able to do Score Wars and compete with folks on different platforms?
    Bront20;4848987 said:
    Now this would be amazing, and it's possible that something like this could exist solely within the Facebook realm. Will it happen, I am thinking probably not but I could see it as being something they might be able to add after the fact perhaps?
    horsepastriesa;4848995 said:
    What do coins do exactly? Do you have to buy the powerups with coins? If you have a bajillion coins, can you buy a song? Or is that just asking for too much? Do you only get coins from completing goals? Can you get smaller amounts of coins for completing a song without completing any goals?
    Though I haven't heard it specifically, I doubt you will get free songs with coins. They are used for power-ups and that's it as far as I know.

I think all this new content is great, sure their are facebook haters but anything that allows me to get more enjoyment and fun out of the game I'm all for. Awesome work HMX!

I am also incredibly jealous that the Dev team and reviewers already have codes and are playing this game - and I assume also testing the Rockband World functionality.