In memoriam - Tony Scott

Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Director Tony Scott committed suicide today at the age of 68. Director of such films as Top Gun and Man on Fire, Scott made a career out of big budget action flicks and set the pace for many newer directors. Scott also ran Scottfree Productions with his brother, Ridley, producing many films and TV shows.

RIP

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2012
    This is terrible news. RIP Tony. I'm not sure what this means for Top Gun 2.. But I guess that's not really important right now.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2012
    I snuck into a theater to watch Crimson Tide with a friend. I'd never watched a thriller that was ALL about the tension before, and it was also my first Hans Zimmer score. The movie was a master class in scenery chewing and character setpieces, and remains pretty well engrained in my mind.

People will talk about Top Gun in particular, but Crimson Tide is the ultimate Tony Scott movie in my life.

RIP.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    This is sad. True Romance is in my top favorite movies. I just drove over that bridge on Saturday. I can't image jumping from it. Or how he was even able to.
  • edited August 2012
    Tue Romance is such a fantastic movie and it's easy to dismiss Tony Scott's involvement because of Tarentino's script and the absolutely bonkerz.net cast carrying things. But looking below the surface and realizing how much effort it takes to make an engaging film out of a story that is largely 2 hours of talking and juggling what may very well be, actor for actor, the most talented ensemble cast of any movie in the last 25 years and you can see that there are very few directors that could have executed with such finesse.

Film for film I think he was a much more consistent director than his brother and it's a shame to hear of his passing, especially under such strange circumstances.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    The word is that he had inoperable brain cancer. It makes a lot more sense if this is true.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited August 2012
    Lets all play volleyball really really slowly in his honor. RIP Tony.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Love most of his movies, R.I.P. Mr. Scott.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    What a shame. Over the last 25 years, I've watched and enjoyed more of his flicks than his more "highly-regarded" brother, and I really enjoyed his aggressive visual style in recent years. Man on Fire is pretty much the best Punisher full-length movie out there right now.

RIP
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Big fan. Loved Crimson Tide and Top Gun will always be a guilty pleasure.

very sad.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Ehfahq;4849517 said:
    The word is that he had inoperable brain cancer. It makes a lot more sense if this is true.

Lie. Next time get your news from a credible source. ABC News is not credible.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited August 2012
    damn... I really liked his movies Domino, Deja Vu, Unstoppable and Taking of Pelham 123...
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    lvmathemagician;4850297 said:
    Lie. Next time get your news from a credible source. ABC News is not credible.
    That's cool, but it did not come from ABC news. Notice how I said "word is", as in it is a rumor at that point. Notice how I said "make sense if this is true"

But thanks for being so nice.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Ehfahq;4850547 said:
    That's cool, but it did not come from ABC news. Notice how I said "word is", as in it is a rumor at that point. Notice how I said "make sense if this is true"

But thanks for being so nice.

Think the rumor was denied today, but who knows.. all these news sources post stuff and never post proof lol.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Yes I read that it was denied. I merely passed on information that was being reported in the news that I was doubting myself.

My intent was not to lie to people.