Nintendo Power magazine being cancelled at the end of this year :(

Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Sadily a piece of my childhood will end on December 2012 bruther. Nintendo Power is getting canned dude.

This makes me sad dude. I have a lot of fun times and exciting times with nintendo power. I have gotten through some really hard games because of nintendo power dude. It was like a walkthrough waiting for you every month dude.

I hate that this is happened dude.

Nintedo Power bruther
1988-2012

24 bruther.

http://nintendopower.com/

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012
    I had the first issue. Super Mario Brothers 2. Word.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    when was the last time you received nintendo power?
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I posted this in WAYDRN but still is very sad... I think I might go out and pick up the last issue once it hits news stands
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    I'm so glad I collected every issue, I'm so gomna be a collector bastard with all new copies.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Most print magazines go extinct, maybe they'll just offer an app instead.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2012
    S***, now how am I gonna get my guides to Wii games without shelling out $40?

Wait, I don't have a Wii.

But still, this is a sad time for video game journalism.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited August 2012
    This Game Informer article sheds a little more light on the situation. They point out that Nintendo time and time again did not play well with others, and also refused to create an online component for their magazine (like Game Informer does).

Technology increases, and those who don't adapt fast enough will be left behind. (Sort of like the Wii, I suppose.)
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    firedoom666;4852559 said:
    I posted this in WAYDRN but still is very sad... I think I might go out and pick up the last issue once it hits news stands

New rule -- everything is important enough for its own thread.

Why does this get everyone so blubberingly upset?
    edited August 2012
    BohemianMatt;4852708 said:
    Technology increases, and those who don't adapt fast enough will be left behind. (Sort of like the Wii, I suppose.)

How's that exactly? The Wii is, by a ridiculous margin, the most successful seventh-generation console in terms of sales.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I remember I had two issues that were especially great. One was the Paper Mario cover that had a walkthrough up to Flower Fields. My other one had a full walkthrough for the Resident Evil remake.

RIP Nintendo Power
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4852715 said:
    How's that exactly? The Wii is, by a ridiculous margin, the most successful seventh-generation console in terms of sales.

You've never played online on a Wii, you have no idea how bad it really is.

One can only pray Wii-U at least half asses an online community.
    edited August 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4853260 said:
    You've never played online on a Wii, you have no idea how bad it really is.
    Indeed I haven't, but do you think the Nintendo executives give a crap about any perceived shortcomings of their console?

Wii - 96.5 million units
    Xbox 360 - 67.2 million unites
    PS3 - 63.9 million units

Though it's still dwarfed by the bestselling console of all-time, which is the PS2 - 153.7 million units. 2011 was actually the first year where the Wii didn't lap the field -- at a deficit of a whole 2.6 million to Xbox and 0.9 million to PS3.

You've heard the expression "laughing your way to the bank?" Well, factor in handhelds (DS - 152.5 million units (!!!), PSP - 74.9 million units; 3DS - 19.3 million units, Vita - 2.6 million units) and this is it.

These gaping sales disparities aren't because people 'put up with' sixth-generation graphics on a seventh-generation console, or because of spotty/nonexistent online play. They're because the buyers, the core audience for the product Nintendo sells, simply don't care. Now, sure, there'll be some advancements with the Wii U. But I'll be stunned if history doesn't repeat itself exactly. Microsoft and Sony's offerings will be vastly superior technologically and sell only two-thirds as much. And handhelds? Pff, fuggettaboutit. Ninty's got that market cornered.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Dang. I thought it was a rumor. Hopefully some miracle will happen.
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    The end of Nintendo Power doesn't make me feel sad, it makes me feel really freaking old.
  • oreoham97oreoham97 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Oh god. Right in the childhood.