Some Thoughts on Rock Band Blitz

crazysean05crazysean05 Opening Act
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Hey guys, I don´t post in here a lot. I am more of the person that reads a lot of posts and then responds when I feel I can actually add something to the conversation. Usually by the time I get to say something, somebody else already says my thoughts on a post. I am in here about three or four times a week and usually read like 10 to 20 threads at a time.

Anyway, I am a video game reviewer for two websites 411mania.com/games and gotgame.com. I received a review code for Rock Band Blitz this morning and in the email it says I can discuss things with people in the forums about the game. I actually reviewed RB Beatles and all of the DLC for RB Beatles for those websites as well back in 2009.

I cannot post videos, pics, or give anything considered a review of the game until Monday at noon ET. So, if there is anything that´s sort of generic about the game or maybe about a certain song I can possibly help people out with this.

I can tell you that I have over 1,100 songs as DLC (including RB 1, RB 2, AC/DC, Green Day, and LEGO exports.) and it took about 15 minutes for RB Blitz to find all of my DLC. However, unlike RB 3, it only loads all of the DLC once. The next time you load the game (which I found out thanks to my 16 month old daughter resetting my Xbox 360 on accident) it takes about a minute to find the DLC and then once you are connected to Rock Central the game loads. Right after it finds your DLC and loads the game for the first time, it will ask if you want to go ahead and download the RB Blitz Export onto your hard drive. I can confirm that it is 766 MB as was quoted on another thread previously.

The game does offer a tutorial (if you want to use it, the game does not make you take the tutorial) when you start the game, I have limited experience with Rock Band Unplugged (I played RB U at E3 2009 but it was only one song,) Frequency, and Amplitude so the tutorial was very helpful. I´ve played a few songs and the game is a total blast. Anyone that is on the fence about getting this game should at least play the demo and then make a decision.

I buy DLC about every two weeks (I bought the Foreigner DLC along with a few other songs last week in fact.) So I am a huge fan of Harmonix and RB if you could not tell already.

If I am overstepping my bounds or something I would hope a Moderator would let me know on this thread or in a PM before just blocking me. Cause I really do appreciate a lot of the things I´ve learned in these forums and I would not want to hurt Harmonix by posting something I am not supposed to do so. But if anybody wants to find out anything about the game just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Comments

• crazysean05crazysean05 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Musically, Shine sounds damn close to the original. I cannot really tell that it is a re-record. There are certain times on the vocals where you can tell the difference because the singer´s voice sounds lower and slower than the original recording. The solo is still as awesome as ever too. You can tell it the most I think when he stops singing and says the part "Baby, Let your light shine down the first few times." When he ramps up the voice once the song starts rocking a bit harder it sounds more like the original. I don´t think anyone should be upset with what Harmonix chose for this track.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4853220 said:
    How is the rerecord of Shine as compared to the original?
    It's terrible.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    as someone who does vocals, changes in inflection and tempo destroy a song for me - that goes for all live songs, last resort by papa roach which was a re-record even though it doesn't say it is and the 3rd eye blind and flight of the conchords songs on RBN.
    edited August 2012
    I'd be curious to know if Cult of Personality is a re-record even though it claims not to be - could you check that one out?
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    metalkorn;4853270 said:
    I'd be curious to know if Cult of Personality is a re-record even though it claims not to be - could you check that one out?

Hasn't a HMX person specifically said that it's the original? Could have been Henry, can't remember where he said it.
    edited August 2012
    Tykki-Teme;4853274 said:
    Hasn't a HMX person specifically said that it's the original? Could have been Henry, can't remember where he said it.
    I'm not sure. I think the only way we found out about Shine was by someone accessing part of the code or something like that if I recall correctly. I'd probably have to hear it with my own ears anyway. It's not like the GH 2 version was terrible at all, but it was a re-record - just wondering if it's that version or the original 90's version.
    edited August 2012
    Cult of Personality is definitely the original
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    How configurable are controls? Can we specifically map each function to a button as we please, or is there a specific set of layouts we must choose between?

Does the game recognize nonstandard controllers (like fightsticks, steering wheels, etc)?
    edited August 2012
    There is no way to map the buttons yourself. I don´t have wheels or fight sticks to try that out with, you would have to ask Harmonix that question.

There are four different control schemes you can choose from: X always deploys powerups on 360

The Default version allows you to use either of the shoulder buttons to switch tracks. Then you can use the joysticks to play the notes or use the D-Pad and A to play the notes, while X deploys certain powerups.

The Freakish version allows you to play notes using the left and right shoulder buttons or the tabs and then you switch tracks with the D-Pad or the joysticks

Shoulders version allows you to switch tracks with the shoulder buttons and then play notes with the tabs

Typewriter is a bit weird but good for people that like using face buttons. Notes are played with A & B, while you switch tracks with the D-Pad and the left joystick
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    crazysean05;4853331 said:
    There is no way to map the buttons yourself. I don´t have wheels or fight sticks to try that out with, you would have to ask Harmonix that question.

There are four different control schemes you can choose from: X always deploys powerups on 360

The Default version allows you to use either of the shoulder buttons to switch tracks. Then you can use the joysticks to play the notes or use the D-Pad and A to play the notes, while X deploys certain powerups.

The Freakish version allows you to play notes using the left and right shoulder buttons or the tabs and then you switch tracks with the D-Pad or the joysticks

Shoulders version allows you to switch tracks with the shoulder buttons and then play notes with the tabs

Typewriter is a bit weird but good for people that like using face buttons. Notes are played with A & B, while you switch tracks with the D-Pad and the left joystick

seems like typewriter is the way to go with a fight stick
    edited August 2012
    You can also change controls on the fly too. So if you want to test one control scheme out during a song, but then decide that the one you had before you can switch it by hitting pause. Then it just starts the song right where you left off.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Here's one. Can you build set lists the way you do in the other RB games?
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    I honestly would have never guessed Shine is a re-record if I wasn't told. And I STILL can't tell the difference.
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    cwilbur;4853412 said:
    Here's one. Can you build set lists the way you do in the other RB games?

No setlist building, but jumping from song to song is a pretty quick, streamlined process.
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    How's Song of the Century play? How do songs with multiple solos at once work (e.g. Tuesday's Gone or One Vision)? How long does it take to unlock powerups?
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Having a re-record of Shine is better than not having it at all. I hope they did more, like December....so that can be released as DLC at some point!

Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life was the only re-record that I didn't like, but that wasn't exactly because of the fact that it was a re-record...it's just was mixed horribly for RBN and sounded horrible, but somehow got through the peer review at the time. Jumper and Never Let You Go sound great.

As far as official DLC goes, the STYX and EMF re-records are incredible. The EMF song Unbelievable especially sounds nearly identical to the original version.
    edited August 2012
    It does not take long at all to unlock powerups. I´ve played like 15 songs I think and I already have 5 powerups. They are all fun to use too, some of them trigger automatically as well. Though with busier tracks it is hard to look up and see that one of your power ups is ready to deploy, so I have to go on feel of when I think the power-up is ready.

Also, it seems that Harmonix used the expert track or something close to it for the songs because you are playing the notes that you hear (even though it´s only a two note track.) However, this does not mean that if you can´t play expert on a certain instrument, you can´t get good at RB Blitz. On the contrary, I find it easier to play a song after the first try because you will know the rhythm of the tracks and you can easily better your score.
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    How exactly do the track power-ups work and can you give examples of them? And I'm still confused on the coins and how they work. If I take my PS3 with Blitz on it and move it to somewhere without internet can I still use power-ups?
  • edited August 2012
    I would also like to know about songs with two solos at once. Can you switch between solos? Or to you just play whichever starts first?
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4853588 said:
    I would also like to know about songs with two solos at once. Can you switch between solos? Or to you just play whichever starts first?

You can switch between solos. They dont lock you on the track.
  • edited August 2012
    www1221;4853589 said:
    You can switch between solos. They dont lock you on the track.

Thank you. Did you read that or did you get your review copy?
    edited August 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4853591 said:
    Thank you. Did you read that or did you get your review copy?

They've switched between lanes during a solo on the livestream. I WISH I had my review copy, also you would know if I got it :p
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure we know anything about the song/track powerups yet - the last power up slot on the right (or maybe i'm wrong and they have mentioned it). Every time I see a live stream it never seems to be working or they choose not to let it work. Any idea what types of power-ups fall under this category?
    edited August 2012
    metalkorn;4853649 said:
    I'm not sure we know anything about the song/track powerups yet - the last power up slot on the right (or maybe i'm wrong and they have mentioned it). Every time I see a live stream it never seems to be working or they choose not to let it work. Any idea what types of power-ups fall under this category?

Ive only seen one and its "Super Guitar" but I have no idea what is it or what it does
    edited August 2012
    it clearly results in a guitar with a red cape flying down the tracks with lazers shooting gems.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    PlatStrat;4853583 said:
    How exactly do the track power-ups work and can you give examples of them? And I'm still confused on the coins and how they work. If I take my PS3 with Blitz on it and move it to somewhere without internet can I still use power-ups?

The game is very online-oriented when it comes to coins. It connects to Rock Central right before starting a song and then again right afterward. After playing a song, you are awarded a certain number of coins based on performance and potentially other bonuses. If you cannot connect to Rock Central after finishing a song, you will not receive any coins (or post to the leaderboards).

I just tried playing in offline mode, and it states that you cannot use power-ups or post scores to the leaderboard in this mode.

For the track power-ups, there are six different ones that can be unlocked. The first is Synchrony, where you earn points for switching tracks on measure markers. The other five are basically just a variation on the same concept. The Super Guitar makes guitar notes worth more points. Then there's Super Bass, Super Drums, etc.
    edited August 2012
    OK Cool - thanks for the info Magnet.
    edited August 2012
    You are not locked on any track. Even though you will basically get very low points, you could play guitar the entire time if that is your desire. It behooves you to play every instrument track because you get instrument bonuses at the end of the song depending on how far you advanced every instruments level cap. Also, you cannot advance level caps without leveling up every instrument track too before a check point.

So let´s say you leveled on Drums, Bass, and Guitar. If you did not level vocals at all during that check point your level cap stays the same and you won´t gain as many points to your score.

There are three kinds of power-ups in the game:

Overdrive powerups have to be activated with X on 360 once you obtain enough energy (just like you do in the regular RB games.) Ones I´ve unlocked so far are 2X and bandmate (which basically means it will play a whole track for you for a little bit so that you don´t have to focus on it.)

Note Power-Ups, once they are unlocked, are just there on certain tracks and once you play them it knocks out some notes and some of them continue to knock out notes for you on that track.

Track Power-Ups: So far I´ve only unlocked synchronicity which makes it to where little arrows will pop up telling you when is the best time to switch to a certain track. I´ve also unlocked Super Drums. Super Drums doubles the points of anything you do on the drums for that song.

So far I have six power-ups, 2 of each kind. They unlock automatically once you gain enough Blitz cred. However, you do have to use your RB Coins to buy them. They remain active as long as you don´t exit out of the screen. Like if you are playing solo they will stay there for quite a while. However, if you switch to score wars you will have to buy them again.

You also get double coins every time you play a new song. So, this encourages people to buy DLC because your first time playing will double the amount of coins you earned.
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Magnet;4853692 said:
    I just tried playing in offline mode, and it states that you cannot use power-ups or post scores to the leaderboard in this mode.
    That kinda sucks as it takes half the fun of Blitz out of it. I had planned to bring it to my rhythm game club (where internet isn't available) but without the ability to show off power-ups I'm not so sure. Really wish Blitz wasn't so online oriented.
    edited August 2012
    I also now have access to Rock Band Blitz so ask away