Rock Band Blitz and the Rock Band World Facebook App

moosegrindermoosegrinder Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I couldn't find an answer. How 'essential' to Rock Band Blitz is the Rock Band World app? I'm having a discussion with someone on another forum (if you're here, hello TTK) and he's not happy that you'll apparently get more coins than you'll ever need if you link to Facebook. I'm saying it's entirely optional.

Now, some people really don't like this social network integration thing, which is fair enough, but if you get a **** tonne of coins for the linking, and if you'd struggle with coins if it isn't (as implied on this weeks podcast) then isn't that a bit crap for those that have an aversion to FB? The coins buy the power ups, so having less coins requires more planning on playing, but those that have linked can go for whatever they want without fear of ballsing it up?
Some clarification would be great.

Comments

• metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    It's not - however it allows you to do a few extra things like challenges and is an additional way to get coins outside of the game - or at least that is what I have read. If you want a ton of coins then it's probably the way to go.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    You are able to gain coins by playing through normal means. However, linking your account to Facebook allows you to gain a lot more coins, due to being able to participate in goals and being able to choose Score Wars. And trust me, as someone who dislikes Facebook, the Facebook integration is FANTASTIC.

I'm having a lot of fun playing with members of this community through Facebook. Don't worry about running out of coins, if it's starting to look low you can grind for coins by playing songs without using powerups.
  • GarwoofooGarwoofoo Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I'm not on Facebook, I don't want to be on Facebook, and if this app gives any kind of gameplay advantage in Rock Band Blitz then it is massively offputting. Basically you're saying I have to do a whole load of extra grinding as punishment for not signing up to an unrelated social network? That's rubbish.
    edited August 2012
    your loss. you could create an account purely for this purpose though. Just an idea.
    edited August 2012
    Garwoofoo;4856772 said:
    I'm not on Facebook, I don't want to be on Facebook, and if this app gives any kind of gameplay advantage in Rock Band Blitz then it is massively offputting. Basically you're saying I have to do a whole load of extra grinding as punishment for not signing up to an unrelated social network? That's rubbish.
    Uhhhhh, it's more like being rewarded for connecting on Facebook. The game doesn't punish you for not being on Facebook, but it's really great to be connected.

Make an account and set it to invisible to everyone if you have to. Really, it's worth it.
    edited August 2012
    Not really my loss; Harmonix's loss if I don't buy the game because they're trying to force me towards a social network I don't want to be part of.

I don't see anything in the Facebook app that couldn't be implemented in-game. I was looking forward to Blitz but if I can't compete on a level playing field because I'm not on Facebook then I'll probably just pass on the game.
    edited August 2012
    No one is forcing you to do anything.
    Goals are much easier to do on Facebook since they can keep updating them and Facebook allows you to send Score Wars to people you know.

You can still be competitive, playing one or two songs without any powerups will get you enough coins to last you for 2 hours or so. There's no reason to get angry at Harmonix trying to incorporate social media through their games, especially since we're all better for it.

Like I said, create an account, set it so no one will ever find you ever, and then connect it to Blitz. It'll take you 10 minutes, you never have to look at it ever again, and you can simply forget it exists. I don't understand why people have such an intense hatred of social networks, since nobody says you have to be social.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    How is integrating one small RB arcade game into facebook a bad thing?
    It might increase sales to people who wouldn't have seen the game.
    edited August 2012
    There isn't anything wrong with it. I think it's a great thing and it allows more flexibility then having to include everything at ship. Only other alternative is something like Call of Duty Elite, having it's own website etc and requiring a subscription - I know what i'd prefer.

If you aren't connecting on Facebook it seems you are not getting the most out of the game so ultimately it's your choice if you buy it or not. No one is pulling the wool over your eyes.

P.S. You are missing out on winning the game for free by not using Social Media.
    edited August 2012
    I don't object to Harmonix setting up Facebook integration as a means of promoting the game, allowing people to challenge each other and so on. That's a perfectly sensible idea. Giving in-game advantages for doing so (or, looking at it another way, penalising people for not doing so) is a really bad idea, though.

So here's the next question. If I set up a dummy Facebook account purely for the purposes of linking it to Blitz, do I actually get any advantages? Or are the advantages mostly obtained by spamming your friends and having lots of people connected to you who are also playing Blitz?
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    The "advantages" you get from Rock Band World have nothing to do with spamming your friends or recruiting people to join you. Its merely a way to have goals and set up score wars. You complete goals you get some coins. You can have 0 friends on Facebook and still benefit from the goal system. And if you dont connect to Facebook you arent being penalized because you can still get everything that the people connected get. Also making a Facebook account is free and easy so I dont see why anyone would complain about this integration unless they didnt have a computer at all, which in that case they wouldnt know it exists anyway.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2012
    You can still play the game without Facebook, and earn coins, and unlock powerups, so it's still your loss if you don't buy it over an optional feature.
    edited August 2012
    Its like not buying Rock Band 3 because there is Nickelback DLC
    edited August 2012
    or better yet, not buying RB3 because it requires you to connect on the forums to get full functionality. You are here posting on a forum communicating and socializing with people. I don't see how that is any different then facebook or any other forum or comment section on any other website.

I know people who don't use facebook because they worry that the FBI and CIA will be able to track them better - it's just paranoia.
    edited August 2012
    I could understand not wanting to connect to Facebook if Rock Band World was like Mafia Wars and those sort of things but its not, its nothing like those. The only thing they have in common is that they are on Facebook
    edited August 2012
    Posting messages from the Facebook app is purely optional and it will never do it without you actually making it happen yourself.

For instance, when I beat Doc SoCal's score in our Score War, I pressed an option to "Brag" about it, which means I posted on his wall that I beat his score. It never does it automatically and it doesn't bother anybody if you don't want it to bother anybody.
  • moosegrindermoosegrinder Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I'll be honest, up until the podcast I didn't know you had to buy power-ups, I thought you just chose them at the beginning (I generally tend to be quite dark on games I see and instantly go "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!")
    . I can understand why people don't want to use Facebook so giving what can be seen as a significant (and if the amount of coins you get from FB integration is as reported by people in this thread and on the podcast, it is significant) advantage then that's just a bit rubbish.

I'm a Facebook fiend anyway, so it doesn't bother me but I can see why to some people it's a bone of contention, so much so they'd rather not buy it. It does puzzle me that a game that is pure score attack has something that hobbles your scores unless you have the means to boost them (hence the name power-ups).

I dunno. I see both sides, I'm just a bit sad that people who were 'day one' on my friends list are now 'might not bother' is all. Thanks to everyone for clarifying the question.
    edited August 2012
    Its not really an advantage. Going to the Facebook thing doesnt make you the Michael Jordan of Rock Band Blitz it just give you coins. Coins that you can earn in the game without Facebook. If you dont want to sign up for a free Facebook account thats fine but you arent really missing out on much.
  • edited August 2012
    I am not facebooker, but I set up an accout just for blitz and have all my Rock Band friends "Friending" it.

I see it as an extention of my XBOX 360 friends list and quite frankly, it makes the game more fun.

Just because you use FB for Blitz does not mean you have to dive into the deep end of FB...

Its free and if you do try it and hate it, stop using it. If you never try it with regards to Blitz then you are simply beiing stubborn and failing to even see what you are missing out on.

And I do think its a huge jumpsart conssidering you can get over 10,000 coins for the FB goals AND you get help.
    edited August 2012
    What I'm worried about is that the people who do can play the game a lot more and have frequently more relevant scores because they don't have to worry about wasting coins on power ups that aren't as good as others. It's been mentioned that you can "grind" for coins without power ups, but why would you want to play a score attack game where you can't get the best score possible every time you play it? Am I being dim about that? Genuine question, because like I say I'm feeling my way through information. As I understand it you add power ups and there's probably no sure fire, 100% winner combination but people who can buy more power ups have a significant advantage, right?

I'm sorry if I seem to be beating this into the ground. I might be wrong and there's enough coins in the main game without any integration advantage but from what people said in here and what I've heard I'm not so sure.
  • edited August 2012
    You are being a bit dim. ;)

Playing without power ups is a great way to learn leveling juggling, add one power up to see how best to use it, add another and repeat.

Playing with a full boat of powerups is NOT necessarily the best way too get the best score.

That will bake a few noodles...
    edited August 2012
    Then that's fair enough :) thanks again for the replies.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    The dilamma I had was deciding if I wanted to mix my known "face to face" friends, co-workers and family with my ps3 friends whom I've never met. Family may know I'm a "gamer" but not that I visit this sight and play rockband almost every day. I dont want to change my privacy settings on facebook, but I also dont want them to see Daxx1970 taunting me ever day when he beats my scores.
    edited August 2012
    Without having played, unless you are initmately familiar with a song you probably have to play through it to decide what the best power-ups to use would be on a per song basis i.e. super drums or whatever would be useless if you were playing Polly or something
    edited August 2012
    gaiacat;4857079 said:
    The dilamma I had was deciding if I wanted to mix my known "face to face" friends, co-workers and family with my ps3 friends whom I've never met. Family may know I'm a "gamer" but not that I visit this sight and play rockband almost every day. I dont want to change my privacy settings on facebook, but I also dont want them to see Daxx1970 taunting me ever day when he beats my scores.
    Talk to X person, tell them to keep their brags to a minimum. If they don't delete them. Most people won't brag unless they think the person won't be annoyed by it I would think. Not meaning annoyed with the brag but the clutter on the feed.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    metalkorn;4857469 said:
    Talk to X person, tell them to keep their brags to a minimum. If they don't delete them. Most people won't brag unless they think the person won't be annoyed by it I would think. Not meaning annoyed with the brag but the clutter on the feed.

Dont get me wrong, Daxx and I have a friendly competition going and I look forward to his taunts. ;)
    I think I will create a separate facebook account just for blitz.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I had to sign up just for this. I know the app will be generally of little use to Wii players, but I want to get the same functionality as I had before. Only today I was able to have the console ID actually be recognized. It's the wrong account in my game though, which causes the account linking code to not work.
    Even from last time and on the RockBand.com account, it says my best instrument is Guitar even though the numbers on my Keyboard were higher. A glitch, or other requisite?
  • edited August 2012
    I did 48 hours without the FB integration and 24 hours with, so I have seen both sides of the fence.

Not having the integration didn't change very much. Having all the powerups turned on is a pretty slow drain on your coin total. I presume it will be only a matter of time till players find the best way to counteract the drain, maybe with a very short song that yields a high coin total. (Song of the Century?)

The one thing the coin mechanism does do is prevent people from recklessly restarting their song mid-course. (Which is perhaps not bad given the score-centric nature of the game)

As for the 24 hours with the integration... yes it does yield a lot of coins. But I don't think the devs did it to "force" anyone onto facebook... they did it (IMO) because it allows them to update the game and add content over time without the pain of a software title update. I know that in pursuit of some goals I tried out songs I would have normally overlooked.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    also, you get double coins if you play a song for the first time.

if you play a song you haven't played before with all powerups on you get a bit more than you spend, but if you already played the song you get a little bit less than you spend on powerups.

so low on coins and still want to play with powerups? play songs you haven't played yet!
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I've been positive about this game since it was announced as both a game and a track pack, but the high dependence on Facebook really turns me off to this game to the point I'm probably gonna buy it as a track pack and forget it. I don't want to use Facebook to effectively use this game. Not to mention I don't like linking gamertags to real world personal info, and I'm not even that much of a privacy freak as much as some people. Shame. I want to love it.