Official Reviews

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
The first review I have found is from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/27/rock-band-blitz-review

“Music games are dead… Activision was like, "OK, we'll stop shoving Guitar Hero down your throat." But Rock Band Blitz proves that not every game revolving around music needs to be banished to the Island of Misfit Toys.”

“This system is equal parts ZOMG excitement and the frustration of hindsight. I love jumping between my tracks and trying to get everyone to the temporary ceiling, but how many times did I ignore a vocal track for too long only to not have enough notes to get it whipped into shape before the checkpoint?”

“Rock Band Blitz is doing for Elton John songs what Pac-Man Championship Edition DX did for pellets. No matter how good you're doing, there's some way to milk Rock Band Blitz songs for more points, and that's rather ingenious.”

“You might see that I crushed Stephen and the Colberts' "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)," but when you try it, you can't get close to my score. You'll need to tinker with power-ups to find the combo that gives you the edge. On the flip side, I might see you embarrass me at a beloved Weezer song, but seeing as I'm fresh out of coins, I need to go farm some by playing Boston's catalog. Rock Band Blitz is pretty great at keeping you playing and -- if you dig the formula -- loving every minute of it.”

“Rock Band Blitz is great. The core gameplay will keep you switching and tapping like a madman or woman, and the inability to fail allows anyone to get excited and enjoy the experience. Once you master that, the high scores and bragging rights will call your name and get their hooks in if you're that type of gamer. However, if you're not of the high score chasin' mentality, Rock Band Blitz might be an obsession that passes you by as there's no real draw for solo shenanigans.”

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2012
    Planet Xbox: http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_21020/Rock_Band_Blitz_Review

“You know when a game has a hold on you? When you make it part of your daily routine and you didn’t really intend for it to… THAT’S when you know you’re drawn into a game of sheer addiction. That’s Rock Band Blitz for you.”

“Where Rock Band Blitz really earns its stripes is multiplayer… you can compete with others on leaderboards, and it’s here you get to test your rock god mettle, not with a stupid guitar solo on “Moves Like Jagger” – if there was one. Beating someone for a high score is a matter of pride, and you can even throw down “Score Wars” challenges both in the game and on Facebook. We can’t tell you how much temperament we created talking smack to one another over the weekend.”

“Switching back and forth between tracks is a frenetic process, but definitely rewarding once you get the hang of it. Oh, and watch out for those solo tracks, they’re worth extra points. Rock Band Blitz utilizes a fast-scrolling visual feature, so that you roam through a “rock town” each time as you play along with the music. Sometimes the road can waiver a bit much, causing you to miss some notes that are on the horizon, but it’s an interface that’s lively and unpredictable, and fun to watch even if you aren’t tapping notes like crazy. Kudos to Harmonix for sprucing it up with something that’s not the usual Rock Band stage set-up.”

“Supporting both new songs and your older packs is a brilliant idea, and the gameplay and visuals hold up well enough that you won’t mind coming back for more, even as it appears to be “the same old thing”. If there’s one party machine you should go with leading into the months of fall, it’s definitely Blitz.”
    edited August 2012
    Official Xbox Magazine: http://www.oxmonline.com/rock-band-blitz-review

Not only is the couch-friendly design a big shift for Rock Band, but so is the newfound emphasis on score rather than accuracy. Missing notes on your current track won’t slow your momentum toward hitting that next multiplier milestone; they’re just missed scoring opportunities. It’s not as enticing an approach, but the addition of selectable power-ups — like one that doubles your multiplier, or another that unleashes a live pinball that rolls over notes — helps set the tone as a different and ultimately lighter kind of experience.

But Blitz’s biggest strength is undoubtedly its ability to repurpose the series’ 3,800-or-so on-disc (excluding Beatles: Rock Band and Rock Band 3) and downloadable tracks, giving fresh life to a mountain of available songs in an enjoyable manner. It’s not quite on par with a raucous multiplayer jam session, but for fans with a stack of DLC, Blitz is a worthy next-best option.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    IGN's review is so bad. So many things wrong and that first line is complete bull****
    edited August 2012
    The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/27/3271037/rock-band-blitz-review-feedback-loop

Even on its surface, Rock Band Blitz represents an experiment. The idea is genius, when you think about it: create a comparatively cheap, arcade game framework for users to experience years of Rock Band content in a new way… there’s a game in Rock Band Blitz, and thankfully, developer Harmonix hasn’t taken an easy sell as an excuse to phone in something forgettable.

“The addition of such heavy Facebook integration would be great, if not for how heavily Rock Band Blitz leans on it. Some things that are easy on Facebook are inexplicably limited within the game itself. Score wars? In Facebook, you select from a dropdown menu of friends who have linked the game to their profile and pick a song. In the game itself, you're presented with random songs with random friends to challenge — there's no way to be specific in either capacity, at least that I could find… The problem: power-ups are 200-250 coins, there are four power-up slots, and finishing a song earns 300-500 coins. Simple math doesn't lie — playing Rock Band Blitz alone doesn't cough up the in-game credits to compete with friends who are reaping currency like crazy through Facebook-exclusive challenges.”

“But more importantly, it's fun. Rock Band Blitz's multiplier system makes for a frantic game of chicken with checkpoints and the meter on the side indicating how far ahead your closest leaderboard rival is score-wise. And as you're juggling lanes and building up overdrive, all while nailing more hectic note passages, Rock Band Blitz effectively channels the feel of Rock Band proper, all without a plastic instrument. And even after the furor over instrument-based music games has largely burned away, it's great to rekindle that kind of excitement and sense of musicality.”
    edited August 2012
    JoyStiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/27/rock-band-blitz-review-original-score/

Rock Band Blitz is basically criticism-proof. No matter what qualms I may have about the XBLA/PSN game, they'll end with a recommendation that you should, without a doubt, purchase it.

Oddly enough, using a standard controller instead of a plastic guitar is hardly the most jarring aspect of Rock Band Blitz. The freebie DLC still makes it a no-brainer purchase, but Rock Band fans might find themselves alienated by the strange score focus, social game elements and absent multiplayer.
    edited August 2012
    Games Radar: http://www.gamesradar.com/rock-band-blitz-review/

Not a very good review with this one:

[it] is a bit like a wooden rollercoaster. When you first experience it, it’s thrilling-but with each repeated ride, it stats to fell less exciting and more rickety.

two-button jamming works great when you’re in the groove of a familiar song, but for more difficult levels or songs you’ve never heard, the hardest bits devolve into button mashing. Blitz doesn’t necessarily penalize you for this, since instead of chained note combos, it values the amount of notes played before seemingly random intervals. Once you pass through these intervals, Blitz checks to see if you’ve been properly tending to each track, and adjusts your multiplier accordingly.

Regrettably, one of Blitz’s best assets is also its primary weakness. There are a plethora of fun power-ups to unlock, which you can mix and match ‘til you’ve found your optimal set-up. They include beefed-up point values, spreading fire-notes, bouncing purple pinballs, and point-boosting shockwaves, and more. They’re all a blast to use; the problem is, they don’t last. Each time you play a song, you’ll need to spend “Blitz Coins” to use power-ups, a currency granted after each song or via Facebook-interconnected goals. They’re not microtransactions for real-world cash--but seeing as how it’s nearly impossible to get a good score without them, you’ll often be forced to farm coins just to compete with your buddy’s scores. It feels like the sort of grinding you’d find in free-to-play games, not in a title in this genre.

Although the premise is good, it ultimately falls short, and you might be better off just picking another instrument from your typical choice and rediscovering Rock Band with another play style.
    edited August 2012
    ShackNews- http://www.shacknews.com/article/75476/rock-band-blitz-review-still-standing

After getting the hang of the game, I had to get the hang of the scoring system. Scoring five stars for each track requires more than rhythmic skill this time around. Unlike its on-disc big brother, Blitz requires some pre-song strategy. Players can equip up to three power-ups, each with drastic effects. Examples include a giant pinball that deploys when a certain note is played (with points being rewarded the longer it's kept in play) and Bandmate, which uses the Overdrive meter to automatically play an instrument track for a short time. Knowing where to best utilize certain power-ups turns out to make a big difference when trying to take on Blitz's leaderboards.

Blitz keeps the spirit of Rock Band alive with its arcade mechanics and its focus on solo play. I still like to play Rock Band 3 with friends now and then, but I feel like Blitz is going to be fun to pick up and play whenever I'm in my room with no plastic guitar nearby. Blitz has that same head-bobbing, toe-tapping effect that its big brother has, making this a great complement to the main Rock Band series.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    All these mostly positive reviews are just making my Blitz itch harder to satiate.
    edited August 2012
    G4tv - http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/65996/rock-band-blitz/review/

while it's addicting in its control simplicity, it's also a music game that requires strategy not seen in previous music instrument-based video games.

These power ups are key variables in helping Rock Band Blitz become more than just an enhanced score attack game. They add another layer in scoring well and can mean the difference between earning an extra 50,000 points or being just another player in the middle of a song's leaderboard… One minor drawback is that these power ups are only available when you're online so the benefits of practicing is limited if you have a bad connection.

A single song in this game presents a wealth of choices and forces you to reanalyze a song you might know from muscle memory having played over a hundred times in past Rock Band games… At times, it may not be worth it to max out the multipliers on all the instruments and instead focus on an note-intensive drum section that can yield a lot of points. Some songs like A-ha's 'Take On Me' and New Order's 'Blue Monday' have significant sections where an instrument or vocal isn't used, so it often pays to plan ahead and play those tracks early (where possible) to establish a high benchmark.

With such a heavy emphasis on scoring, Rock Band Blitz is also one of those rare games where you'll be checking leaderboards often, especially when it comes to songs that you and your friends own.

Unlike say, Burnout: Crash, Harmonix managed to deliver a downloadable standalone game befitting the series name that it spun off from. Rock Band Blitz is actually not a standalone game in the purest sense since it can utilize and benefit from thousands of songs. Considering this game spun off from a series that rewards diligent accuracy, the studio should be applauded for delivering a title that encourages strategy and a mild form of improvisation while still being a worthy Rock Band game.
    edited August 2012
    Destructoid - http://www.destructoid.com/review-rock-band-blitz-233739.phtml

Completing a stage comes with three kinds of awards based on player performance: Stars, Cred, and Coins. Stars and Cred are experience systems. The former are awarded based on total score and range from 1-5, or gold stars (which, for the purposes of scoring, counts as a sixth star). Cred accumulates in small quantities, pooled from performance on individual instruments and earning it unlocks new power-ups. Coins are an in-game currency system used to then purchase unlocked power-ups before stages begin, awarded based on the number of stars earned and the overall difficulty of a stage.

It's up to the player to find combinations which work well for individual songs as well as suit their own skill and style. They absolutely make the game, in terms of fun factor and strategic depth. The purple note power-ups in particular add a welcome bit of chaos, keeping the player constantly on the lookout for opportunities to score and giving some hope that it's possible to squeeze a few more points out of a stage through a combination of skill and sheer good fortune.

All of these elements combine to create an addictive, fast-paced, and challenging game. It also, by virtue of its mechanics, has a most interesting balance in terms of compensating for less skilled players while putting the screws to the hardcore at the same time. The range of acceptable timing for hitting notes feels rather broad, which is great for the newcomer who may struggle for a little bit. That same range is downright punishing once you have the hang of managing multiple lanes, as (for the purposes of accuracy) the game determines that if you can hit a note, you must hit the note. It's very easy to hop to a neighboring track, expecting to slide between notes, and be penalized for missing one which is just barely playable. This can make all the difference when it comes to maintaining Blitz Mode or amassing big points with the Jackpot Overdrive power-up, making risky moves all the more exciting to attempt.

Rock Band Blitz can be a bit of an isolating experience, especially in comparison to other Harmonix titles (such as Rock Band or Dance Central) which encourage an infectiously fun, party atmosphere. With those games, a significant amount of enjoyment can be derived from simply being with people while they play but there's nothing interesting to watch (on-screen or off) when Blitz is being played. The game has too many nuances to be quickly explained to a casual observer and the scrolling background of Rock City isn't really exciting. Other people in the room are probably going to be bored.

Between the trash talking and head-to-head nature, Score Wars are easily the most fun you'll have playing Blitz. The problem is that they're also only really functional with Rock Band World integration and this marks the greatest shortcoming found in Blitz. Without enabling this feature, the only way to initiate Score Wars is through the "Recommended" tab found in the game's menus, which will helpfully suggest a person and song to engage, but doesn't offer any means of specifying an individual player or song. People who opt out of using Facebook will likely be frustrated by these limitations.

Rock Band Blitz isn't going to change the world, with its appeal as a game likely limited to a niche market of dedicated rhythm game players, but it is fantastically fun to play and features considerable complexity
    edited August 2012
    Game Informer - http://www.gameinformer.com/games/rock_band_blitz/b/xbox360/archive/2012/08/27/rock-band-blitz-review-familiar-fun-minus-the-peripherals.aspx

Each track only has two note options – left or right – so keeping up with a single track is easy. The challenge lies in knowing when to switch between your different instruments to build up that track’s multiplier. Get each instrument to a high enough multiplier before a checkpoint, and you increase your multiplier cap, creating an addictive loop as you chase absurdly high scores. The experience lacks the intense accuracy focus of the core Rock Band games, but adds a fun new strategic layer.

I enjoyed playing around with different power-up combos, but progression is hamstrung by the strange choice to make you pay in-game coinage for every use of a power-up. On many occasions, you won’t have enough money to use any power-ups on a song until you grind for more money.

Examined on its own merits, Rock Band Blitz offers highly tuned rhythm matching fun, and the new approach to multipliers makes score chasing a blast. Harmonix has leveraged its obscenely large music library to boost the appeal of Blitz, and the game’s draw may be directly proportional to how much previous money you’ve already invested in the series.
    edited August 2012
    Well, I guess that is enough reviews for me to post, it gives everyone a general idea of what the citics think... a very good game, but not a mind blowing one. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • crazysean05crazysean05 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I´ve already started writing my review. I was hoping someone from Harmonix could respond to something for me,

why was it decided, to take away coins from players every time someone uses a power-up? Isn´t that counter productive to getting high scores or being able to purchase more power-ups?
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Those reviews are very good, it seems. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
  • crazysean05crazysean05 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I know this is like two weeks late, but I just wanted to share this with you. It´s gotgame.com official RB Blitz review written by me. I posted it this morning.

http://gotgame.com/review/rock-band-blitz-review/