Exporting For Noobs

Abel2DisableAbel2Disable Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I have never played a Rock Band game in my life (the plastic instruments didn't appeal to me), but I loved Frequency on PS2. I'm looking forward to Blitz cause it seems more accessible for me.

I own a PS3, but don't own any previous Rock Band titles or instruments. I was wondering... How can I export songs from Rock Band 1, 2, and 3 to Blitz? I'm assuming I will need to buy those games and if that's the case, I'm willing to do so. But will I need to use an instrument to control through the game menus (Rock Band 1-3) in order to export? I hope not, because I'm not willing to buy the instruments.

P.S. I see an "export key" available for Rock Band on PSN, but no DLC for Rock Band II at all, and no export key for Rock Band 3.

Comments

• Abel2DisableAbel2Disable Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the link. I'd still like to know if I will be able to control the menu in Rock Band 1, 2, and 3 using a normal controller.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    Yes you can. You also cant export Rock Band 3
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2012
    As www1221 said. If you have the Rock Band games, you may as well consider at least purchasing the microphone you can use with the controller!

You'll need Rock Band 3 to export Rock Band 2 (its connection to Rock Central is what allows you to download the code), so it's a required purchase anyway, despite not being able to export RB3 to Blitz.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Abel2Disable;4859388 said:
    How can I export songs from Rock Band 1, 2, and 3 to Blitz? I'm assuming I will need to buy those games and if that's the case, I'm willing to do so. But will I need to use an instrument to control through the game menus (Rock Band 1-3) in order to export? I hope not, because I'm not willing to buy the instruments.

P.S. I see an "export key" available for Rock Band on PSN, but no DLC for Rock Band II at all, and no export key for Rock Band 3.
    You don't need any special controller at all. The vocalist in an RB game uses a standard controller to navigate menus (and the standard controller works as the vocalist input device even if there is no mic connected).

The "Export Key" is the key to export Rock Band 1. That doesn't require any sort of code validation, you just need to pay your $5 and run/update Rock Band 1 on your console, and its menus will have an export option, where it directly copies most of the songs right to your hard drive. Which is to say you can do it with a used, borrowed, or rented copy of RB1.

Every other title that exports is done via a unique code printed on the back of the instruction manual (in some cases you enter the code into your console, in some you enter the code into the export site here and it gives you a new code to enter into your console). So if you buy used you cannot be sure the code has not already been redeemed.

RB2, LegoRB, and Green Day export for $10 each, *and* requires the redemption of the unique code from the instruction manual. This allows you to download a pack of all (or in the case of RB2, most) of the songs in the game.

All of the "track packs" export for 'free' - just redeem the code and then you can download a pack containing all of the songs.

Beatles RB does not export, period.

Rock Band 3 does not export (yet?). There is currently no way to play RB3 on-disc songs in Blitz, nor is there any announced plan to allow such.

Rock Band Blitz automagically exports to Rock Band 3.
    LoopyChew;4859422 said:
    You'll need Rock Band 3 to export Rock Band 2 (its connection to Rock Central is what allows you to download the code), so it's a required purchase anyway, despite not being able to export RB3 to Blitz.

That's the case for Xbox360, but are you sure that's the case for PS3? I'm under the impression that the codes you get from http://www.rockband.com/ps3-export/us / http://www.rockband.com/ps3-export/intl are PS Store codes that can be redeemed directly in the PS Store.

The instructions here state to enter the code in the in-game store but I do not believe that's an actual requirement for PS3.
  • Abel2DisableAbel2Disable Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    thatmarkguy really broke it down for me. Thanks for all the helpful replies. Eagerly awaiting Rock Band Blitz.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    1) You can export the following games on the PS3:
    • Rock Band 1
    • Rock Band 2
    • Any Track Pack
    • Green Day Rock Band
    • Lego Rock Band
    All of the above need to be new copies in order to export. The Track Pack songs are also available as DLC in the normal store except the AC/DC Live Pack.

2) To export Rock Band 1, you'll need:
    • A Rock Band 1 Disk
    • Enough Money to buy the Export License ($4.99 us)
    • About an hour
    Rock Band 1 exports by "ripping" the songs off the RB1 disc though the menu. You can use your normal PS3 controller to move though the menu.

3) To export the other games, you'll need a code included in the game. Some games require you to go into the games to export (Lego), some will just be a code you redeem in the PSN Store (Most of the others), and some will use a website to email you a code (RB2). There are instructions in each game, and on this site (Linked to earlier). Again, you can use the PS3 controller to navigate any menu. Rock Band 2, Green Day, and Lego will cost $9.99 for the export, the track packs are free to export.

4) Rock Band 3 does not export at this time.

5) Extra songs can be found in 3 spots on the PSN store. Under Rock Band 1, Rock Band Network, and Rock Band 3. Rock Band (1) and Rock Band Network are the Rock Band 1 and 2 area DLC sections. Rock Band (1) has all official RB1 and RB2 era DLC, and Rock Band Network has RB2 era Rock Band Network DLC. Rock Band 3 contains official Rock Band 3 DLC, and Rock Band Network 2 DLC. As far as Blitz is concerned, the only difference is anything pre-RB3 will not have a keyboard track under any circumstances. They also don't have harmonies, but that's a RB3 distinction only.

On a side note, most USB microphones will work with the PS3 and Rock Band, so you can give singing in rock band a try with your new found Rock Band library.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    To clarify, Rock Band 1 can be a used copy, so long as you purchase the liscence and have the disc. All others require the voucher from a new copy