A Couple Questions

Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
So having just gotten Blitz and loving it (after figuring out how to get more than just the demo songs), I just have a few lingering questions.

1) I play offline due to not being able to get an ethernet cable out to my living room, am I completely locked out from power-ups, even the basic ones?

2) Is it possible/feasible to get 5 stars without power-ups? I may just suck at the game, but it is surprising when I can only get 4 stars max so far.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    1) No Rock Central means no coins and no RBB cred so I don't think you can level up to power ups at all.

2) I am pretty sure I have 5 starred songs with no power ups.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    It's possible but quite difficult. You basically have to be in Blitz mode the whole song, or very nearly the whole song.

I'm not good enough for that :p

I take it you have a hookup elsewhere (else, how did you download the game). Do be aware that ridonkulously long ethernet cables exist (and plenty of lengths shorter than this one too). So, keep that in mind if you want to go online.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Ragin_Caucasion;4860694 said:
    So having just gotten Blitz and loving it (after figuring out how to get more than just the demo songs), I just have a few lingering questions.

1) I play offline due to not being able to get an ethernet cable out to my living room, am I completely locked out from power-ups, even the basic ones?

2) Is it possible/feasible to get 5 stars without power-ups? I may just suck at the game, but it is surprising when I can only get 4 stars max so far.

Thanks for any help!

i got my Ethernet cable going from my dining room (which is a computer room now upstairs, all the way down to my basement.. ) so i'm 100% sure you can get an ethernet cable to a room in the same level *of course put it under flooring if possible?*
  • lazyhoboguylazyhoboguy Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4860704 said:
    1) No Rock Central means no coins and no RBB cred so I don't think you can level up to power ups at all.

2) I am pretty sure I have 5 starred songs with no power ups.
    Wow. I really really hate when games rely on internet connections in order for parts of the game to work. They need to make this game work fully even if you are offline. What happens if the rockband servers go down temporarily, or when they inevitably go down for good years down the road?. You can't earn powerups basically unless connected to the internet? That is awful. If I am paying you guys for a game. It better work offline as well as online. I am not completely sure as I've jut bought the game, but it seems as if you have to buy each powerup once before you can use it. So if you cant earn coins or rockband cred while offline, the game is broken really. If you want high scores it seems you need to have a powerup equipped in each slot.

Correct me if I am wrong then, but it appears as you don't need to re-buy the same powerups to use them each song, so I guess if you played the game long enough to earn enough coins/blitz cred to unlock all the powerups once and then you were offline forever after that you'd have no problem? But still, a dumb dumb system if you cannot unlock the full game that you paid money for if you aren't online.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    To address your cable issues, either long cables (I've got a 1000' spool of Cat 5 cable in my garage. You can make some pretty long cables if you need to), or wifi (either get a wireless adapter, or a second router if your device is not wifi capable, or just get a wifi router if that's your issue). It's ultimately not that expensive. I use wireless for my PS3 for everything and have no issues (I even tried wired, didn't reduce lag on any games that tracked it).
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2012
    lazyhoboguy;4860799 said:
    Wow. I really really hate when games rely on internet connections in order for parts of the game to work. They need to make this game work fully even if you are offline. What happens if the rockband servers go down temporarily, or when they inevitably go down for good years down the road?. You can't earn powerups basically unless connected to the internet? That is awful. If I am paying you guys for a game. It better work offline as well as online. I am not completely sure as I've jut bought the game, but it seems as if you have to buy each powerup once before you can use it. So if you cant earn coins or rockband cred while offline, the game is broken really. If you want high scores it seems you need to have a powerup equipped in each slot.

Correct me if I am wrong then, but it appears as you don't need to re-buy the same powerups to use them each song, so I guess if you played the game long enough to earn enough coins/blitz cred to unlock all the powerups once and then you were offline forever after that you'd have no problem? But still, a dumb dumb system if you cannot unlock the full game that you paid money for if you aren't online.

In offline mode, you can't use coins or power-ups. I agree that they should have just let all the power-ups be used in offline mode since the scores don't count online anyway, but unfortunately that's not how it was designed. Hopefully the servers will stay up for a long, long, long, long, long, long time because playing the game without power-ups is not nearly as fun.
    edited August 2012
    Magnet;4860803 said:
    In offline mode, you can't use coins or power-ups. I agree that they should have just let all the power-ups be used in offline mode since the scores don't count online anyway, but unfortunately that's not how it was designed. Hopefully the servers will stay up for a long, long, long, long, long, long time because playing the game without power-ups is not nearly as fun.
    If I had know this is how the game works before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bought the game. I really hope they patch this and fix it. I was pretty excited for this game, as I am a big fan of Amplitude and Frequency, Harmonix's early controller only rhythm games on the PS2, so I was happy to buy Rock Band BLitz to support this type of game. But now I am feeling as if I am being ripped off since a core part of the gameplay is broken offline. They should make it so if you are offline you still earn coins and blitz cred. Why not? There is no reason to make this tied to an internet connection.
    edited August 2012
    It's even worse than I thought previously. I thought perhaps you only had to buy powerups once after you unlocked them, but that is not the case. You need to rebuy powerups each song. You can only earn coins to buy them by playing while online.... See the problem here? If you want to play the game as it was meant to be played, with all 3 powerup slots equipped with a powerup, you have to be online so you can replenish the coins needed to buy powerups before you play each song. Once the servers for this game go offline then, the game is broken and you cannot use powerups eventually, since you will not be able to restock your supply of coins which are for buying powerups.

This is really disappointing me, as I am really liking the gameplay. I typically avoid digital downloads as I am not happy not getting a physical copy of something I paid money for. I made an exception for this game since its similar to Amplitude and Frequency and I wanted to support Harmonix for bringing out a game like this.

In its current state though, Rock Band Blitz is nothing more than a long term rental. Once the servers for this game inevitably go offline The game will basically cease to function. It might be years before that happens, but it's unacceptable. It's like paying for a movie that stops working after a few years or buying a car, but after a few years the dealer comes and steals your engine. Unless a patch is made for this game that lets you earn coins/powerups offline, I cannot recommend this game to anyone who isn't alright with the reality that they aren't buying a game but are just renting one for a few years.
    edited August 2012
    I understand where you're coming from. It's certainly a discouraging trend.

The silver lining of sorts is getting the songs for RB3. Even after the seventh-generation servers are mothballed altogether (I put it at 5 to 7 years until that happens), you'll still be able to play RB3 to heart's content locally. Which is not the same, no, but it's something.
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4860815 said:
    I understand where you're coming from. It's certainly a discouraging trend.

The silver lining of sorts is getting the songs for RB3. Even after the seventh-generation servers are mothballed altogether (I put it at 5 to 7 years until that happens), you'll still be able to play RB3 to heart's content locally. Which is not the same, no, but it's something.
    You are acting like Rock Band 3 continuing to work once you've bought it is a feature we should be grateful for. A game continuing to work in its singleplayer mode after online servers for the game go down is an expected thing. RB3 working offline is certainly no silver lining for people who spend money on Rock Band Blitz since it's a completely different game.

The style of game is completely different than the normal Rock Band games and it's why I specifically bought this game and not Rock Band 3. Its been years since there has been a console version of a rhythm game similar to Amplitude and Frequency on the Playstation 2. Many of us have waited years for a game like Rock Band Blitz. and what we get is a game that essentially has a self destruct timer built into it. That is unacceptable. There is no excuse for this happening. It's a very simple fix to make as well. If Harmonix at all cares about its customers it needs to patch this game and make it fully functional offline. I am actually pretty shocked they have done something like this. I had a pretty high opinion of them as a developer before. I feel betrayed by this. What are they gaining by making it broken offline? We have already given them our money. Why aren't we allowed to play the game we paid for?

Most people couldn't even fathom that the singleplayer in their game would stop working once the online server for a game went offline, but Harmonix has done just that with Rock Band Blitz. A game you bought should work. It's very simple. This isn't like losing online multiplayer or leaderboards with a server shutdown for a game. In Rock Band Blitz essential parts of the game will break once the game's online servers go offline. This is like playing a Mario game where one day all your power-ups disappear, or playing a first person shooter and one day all your weapons disappear in the single player mode.
    edited August 2012
    lazyhoboguy;4860826 said:
    You are acting like Rock Band 3 continuing to work once you've bought it is a feature we should be grateful for. A game continuing to work in its singleplayer mode after online servers for the game go down is an expected thing. RB3 working offline is certainly no silver lining for people who spend money on Rock Band Blitz since it's a completely different game.
    Not sure I agree with you there, since 25 songs for RB3 for $15 is a screamin' deal, whether there's a game included or not.

Oh....you don't have RB3. Well, that puts you in a staunch minority, sorry to say. I really do agree with a lot of your concerns, but for me and just about all of us here, it's mitigated by the songs being available for RB3.
  • BassaniBassani Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Monoprice also has pretty cheap prices on cables & a ton of other things if you're just looking for a longer cable. I know it's not answering your question about the game, but maybe it'll help for your connecting to the net issue, unless wireless is an option? Some forget that they can connect wireless...
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4860855 said:
    Not sure I agree with you there, since 25 songs for RB3 for $15 is a screamin' deal, whether there's a game included or not.

Oh....you don't have RB3. Well, that puts you in a staunch minority, sorry to say. I really do agree with a lot of your concerns, but for me and just about all of us here, it's mitigated by the songs being available for RB3.

Well sure if you are discarding Rock Band Blitz as a game and seeing it only as a track pack for RB3 then my complaints about Rock Band Blitz won't matter. For someone who bought the game to play it, not just to use it as a trackpack for another game, the problems mentioned before are pretty horrible.
    edited August 2012
    Removed my post, it's been a long night. Sorry, this is the right place for your complaints. :)
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4860922 said:
    Removed my post, it's been a long night. Sorry, this is the right place for your complaints. :)

Heh, well I'll delete my post after yours then since it doesn't make sense now. But yea, I really do like the game, which is why Im so disappointed about this. I just want to be able to keep playing it.
    edited August 2012
    lazyhoboguy;4860904 said:
    Well sure if you are discarding Rock Band Blitz as a game and seeing it only as a track pack for RB3 then my complaints about Rock Band Blitz won't matter. For someone who bought the game to play it, not just to use it as a trackpack for another game, the problems mentioned before are pretty horrible.
    The problem is that much like RB3, Blitz is designed to be a social game. However, where RB3 shines as a local social game, Blitz is built to draw the internet community closer together. Challenge your friends to Score Wars and rock the Leaderboards, while trying to play new goals each week, some of which you can get help from your friends on. These things generally require you to be online.

Personally, I think a better solution would have been to allow offline play to not cost any coins, but not let you earn any cred either, nor let you enter scores on the Leaderboards. However, this turns offline mode into a free practice mode after a little play, which also wasn't what HMX is looking for, so I can see why they simply chose to do what they did.

Is it perfect? No. Is it broken? No, it's what the developer wanted. Will it change? Possibly, depending on how big of a cry they get for a change.
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4860934 said:
    The problem is that much like RB3, Blitz is designed to be a social game. However, where RB3 shines as a local social game, Blitz is built to draw the internet community closer together. Challenge your friends to Score Wars and rock the Leaderboards, while trying to play new goals each week, some of which you can get help from your friends on. These things generally require you to be online.

Personally, I think a better solution would have been to allow offline play to not cost any coins, but not let you earn any cred either, nor let you enter scores on the Leaderboards. However, this turns offline mode into a free practice mode after a little play, which also wasn't what HMX is looking for, so I can see why they simply chose to do what they did.

Is it perfect? No. Is it broken? No, it's what the developer wanted. Will it change? Possibly, depending on how big of a cry they get for a change.

I still disagree heh. This game is basically a singleplayer game with some social aspects to it. It is a game you play alone. It is at its heart a singplayer game, but they decided to add some social features to it which all just revolve around trying to beat people's high scores. So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to nerf the singleplayer offline part of the game. You cannot access any of the online social features while in offline mode, obviously and that isn't the problem. See though, earning blitz cred is what you have to do in order to even unlock powerups in the first place. You need the coins to buy powerups you've unlocked before each song. So they could either just take out the entire coins/blitz cred system in the offline mode and allow you access to all powerups, or just let you continue to earn coins/blitz cred to unlock and buy powerups in the offline mode. They could even make the offline section of the game's coin/blitz cred points you earn completely separate from the online portion of the game, so people cant stock up on them in offline mode and use them in the online mode.

My main issue then, regardless of the many ways they could fix it, is that you should be allowed to use powerups in the offline mode so you can play the game and try to beat your own high score. The game is totally designed with powerups in mind, so completely cutting them out of the offline singleplayer extremely changes the entire experience. The game isn't as fun without the powerups and doesn't work properly without them.
    edited August 2012
    lazyhoboguy;4860904 said:
    Well sure if you are discarding Rock Band Blitz as a game and seeing it only as a track pack for RB3 then my complaints about Rock Band Blitz won't matter.

Not sure where you got 'only.' My post is all about 'also.'
  • Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Hey, thanks for the input, guys! I would do the whole long ethernet cable thing, but it's also an issue of the internet provider for my apartment complex only allowing people to sign into the internet for one machine at a time, so it's a lot less hassle to play offline rather than drag an ethernet cable out to the living room, log out on my laptop, log in on the PS3, etc. just to play a quick session of Blitz.

Also another thing I noticed about playing offline, do scores not save or am I doing something wrong? Because everytime I boot up the game none of my scores are ever saved. The other stuff I can kind of understand, but this is a bit ridiculous when I can't even keep my progress in the game.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    nope, scores are only saved when online. it kinda suuuuucks :3
  • SairAerwynSairAerwyn Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Hey All-

I can understand your very valid points about not being able to use powerups offline, and -maybe- this is just me (please let me know if this is the case) but I think the most broken aspect of RBB is the fact that when you are offline, you can't play other DLC!

I go crazy when -for whatever reason- my Live isn't connecting and I can't play Blitz the way I want to. I have LOTS of songs, like most of you, and I choose my songs out of DLC 90% of the time.

...Is this just me? Please tell me it's just me!
  • fuzzy510fuzzy510 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    SairAerwyn;4881711 said:
    Hey All-

I can understand your very valid points about not being able to use powerups offline, and -maybe- this is just me (please let me know if this is the case) but I think the most broken aspect of RBB is the fact that when you are offline, you can't play other DLC!

I go crazy when -for whatever reason- my Live isn't connecting and I can't play Blitz the way I want to. I have LOTS of songs, like most of you, and I choose my songs out of DLC 90% of the time.

...Is this just me? Please tell me it's just me!

That's an Xbox issue. If you're not connected to Live, it won't authenticate your DLC, and won't let you play it.
    edited September 2012
    not exactly true.

for your xbox to allow you to play the DLC you need 1 of 2 things:

1. You need to play on the profile that downloaded the song while being connected to xbox live
    or
    2. the dlc has to be originally downloaded on the xbox you're playing on. if so, you can play it with any profile even when offline.

now if you don't have 2, you can do a license transfer (should be in the system settings somewhere). this will basically make your xbox the original owner xbox of the dlc.
    please note that you do have to re-download all your dlc if you do so.
  • SairAerwynSairAerwyn Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4881747 said:
    not exactly true.

for your xbox to allow you to play the DLC you need 1 of 2 things:

1. You need to play on the profile that downloaded the song while being connected to xbox live
    or
    2. the dlc has to be originally downloaded on the xbox you're playing on. if so, you can play it with any profile even when offline.

now if you don't have 2, you can do a license transfer (should be in the system settings somewhere). this will basically make your xbox the original owner xbox of the dlc.
    please note that you do have to re-download all your dlc if you do so.
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to give that a shot, as I did just replace my Xbox earlier in the year (had to get more space for all my songs!)

Downloading them all again might be what I'm missing since I'm pretty sure I did a license transfer already.. that's going to be a long process... any thoughts on a quick way to re-download all my content? is there even an easy way?
    edited September 2012
    download history lists all the songs, the re-download only should take a second per song/pack. because they just need to be re-verified. and not fully re-downloaded