Is there any reason not to 'join' a RBW goal?

thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Like, is there any form of penalty for joining a goal and then failing to complete it? Or should you just join every goal in hopes that whatever semirandom playing you do will rack up progress towards a goal?

Comments

  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Well, one reason (that you probably already know) is you can only be in 10 at a time.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Actually, I did not already know that. I guess that largely answers my question. :p

    Does the 10 include community goals (that I seem to be automatically signed up for) or just consciously-undertaken ones?
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Odin Force;4861119 said:
    Well, one reason (that you probably already know) is you can only be in 10 at a time.

    Yep. Before I realized this, I'd filled up my slots, and then wasn't able to choose a goal specific to the song that I intended to play. Strategically, it seems like a good plan to fill up most of your slots with the scavenger hunt, or earn this many stars from all these decades ones. Oftentimes, you'll be working towards some of these goals without even realizing it. After that, just cherry-pick. Want to play a metal song? Choose the goal that asks you to get 3 stars on a metal song. Done.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    thatmarkguy;4861124 said:
    Actually, I did not already know that. I guess that largely answers my question. :p

    Does the 10 include community goals (that I seem to be automatically signed up for) or just consciously-undertaken ones?

    Your 10 doesn't include the community goals.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    If you don't finish the challenge in 7 days, you fail it forever, and can never select it again.


    (actually I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way)
  • edited August 2012
    Here's something that I only learned recently that may be a good reason not to start all of the goals at once. Other players can join your goals that are already in progress and coins are awarded based on participation. So if you join the RHCP goal and only play one song and get 3 stars and then 3 other people join you and contribute the remaining 27 stars, you'll only be awarded 10% of the total pot for your contribution.

    So that's one incentive for not signing up for a goal you may not be able to finish right away.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4861235 said:
    Here's something that I only learned recently that may be a good reason not to start all of the goals at once. Other players can join your goals that are already in progress and coins are awarded based on participation. So if you join the RHCP goal and only play one song and get 3 stars and then 3 other people join you and contribute the remaining 27 stars, you'll only be awarded 10% of the total pot for your contribution.

    So that's one incentive for not signing up for a goal you may not be able to finish right away.

    Whoops, I am totally not pulling my weight on that Community Plays Metal goal yet. That's fair though, the folks that get 100 stars SHOULD get more of the 4,000 coin jackpot than I get for my current contribution of 4 stars.

    The only way I can join in on a goal in progress [other than the Community Goals] is via Rock Band World, with my Facebook friends only, right? If so, then I don't have to worry about any of my goals getting sniped ;)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4861235 said:
    if you join the RHCP goal and only play one song and get 3 stars and then 3 other people join you and contribute the remaining 27 stars, you'll only be awarded 10% of the total pot for your contribution.
    !! I didn't know/expect that - I figured the pot was either awarded-in-full to each player or divided equally. I suppose that "You rub my Foo Fighters songs and I'll rub your Iron Maiden songs" scheme I'm trying to work out with someone won't help me (or him) much at all. :p

    If you join a goal that does get completed but don't actually contribute to it, does it go into your history as a completed goal for 0 coins, a failed goal, or no history note at all?
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4861235 said:
    Here's something that I only learned recently that may be a good reason not to start all of the goals at once. Other players can join your goals that are already in progress and coins are awarded based on participation. So if you join the RHCP goal and only play one song and get 3 stars and then 3 other people join you and contribute the remaining 27 stars, you'll only be awarded 10% of the total pot for your contribution.

    So that's one incentive for not signing up for a goal you may not be able to finish right away.

    Wow, I didn't know that. Doesn't that make it somewhat counter-productive to adding friends on facebook who play Blitz? I mean, the only real incentive would be the ease at which you could make score duels and such, or if you really want to compare scores, but is it worth it if you could potentially cheat yourself out of coins for the goals? I don't think any of my facebook friends play Blitz anyway, and I have no interest in adding random forum goers into my political facebook madness. I'm always willing to add to my friends list on PS3 though, if anyone wants to go that route.
  • edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4861261 said:
    The only way I can join in on a goal in progress [other than the Community Goals] is via Rock Band World, with my Facebook friends only, right? If so, then I don't have to worry about any of my goals getting sniped ;)

    To join in Goals you don't have to be friends with people on either Facebook or XBLA, you can just fire up RB World and see who is currently working on that Goal and you have the option of joining them. I found out when Apples sniped my RHCP Goal without being friends with me on line. Drake, meanwhile, has been joining random Goals and stealing all the coins at the last minute. So it works both ways.
    thatmarkguy;4861277 said:

    If you join a goal that does get completed but don't actually contribute to it, does it go into your history as a completed goal for 0 coins, a failed goal, or no history note at all?
    If you don't contribute it still resolves and you get 0 coins. So don't let that happen!
    grimripper82;4861315 said:
    Wow, I didn't know that. Doesn't that make it somewhat counter-productive to adding friends on facebook who play Blitz? I mean, the only real incentive would be the ease at which you could make score duels and such, or if you really want to compare scores, but is it worth it if you could potentially cheat yourself out of coins for the goals? I don't think any of my facebook friends play Blitz anyway, and I have no interest in adding random forum goers into my political facebook madness. I'm always willing to add to my friends list on PS3 though, if anyone wants to go that route.

    As mentioned above, since anyone can join Goals, having more Facebook friends won't adversely affect your chances. Unless your friends are jerks who will deliberately grief you by finishing goals they see you working on. That's kind of one of the elements I love about Blitz, the risk vs. reward of involving friends. I can loop Pope in to help me on a Goal I otherwise wouldn't be able to complete but then he could also get more coins. The community is always working towards completing Goals together, but they're also engaged in heated Score Wars. I don't know if I love my friends or hate them!
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    grimripper82;4861315 said:
    Wow, I didn't know that. Doesn't that make it somewhat counter-productive to adding friends on facebook who play Blitz? I mean, the only real incentive would be the ease at which you could make score duels and such, or if you really want to compare scores, but is it worth it if you could potentially cheat yourself out of coins for the goals? I don't think any of my facebook friends play Blitz anyway, and I have no interest in adding random forum goers into my political facebook madness. I'm always willing to add to my friends list on PS3 though, if anyone wants to go that route.

    Well, the other way to look at it is that when you get to the hard goals you may not have all the songs you need to complete them, and you NEED your friends. Especially the Scavenger Hunts. Some of you will have all the songs but probably not most of you.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4861366 said:
    To join in Goals you don't have to be friends with people on either Facebook or XBLA, you can just fire up RB World and see who is currently working on that Goal and you have the option of joining them. I found out when Apples sniped my RHCP Goal without being friends with me on line. Drake, meanwhile, has been joining random Goals and stealing all the coins at the last minute. So it works both ways.


    Oh, so I better finish all of my goals really quick then. This begs the question, can you do goals that you've already done? What I mean is, say I finish a goal, then I go and find that same goal that someone else is already working on, can I get even more coins by working on that same goal with someone else? If so, you've just created a monster... *cynical laugh*

    Oh, and, that Drake better stay away from my coins! *shakes fist angrily*
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    grimripper82;4861377 said:
    Oh, so I better finish all of my goals really quick then. This begs the question, can you do goals that you've already done? What I mean is, say I finish a goal, then I go and find that same goal that someone else is already working on, can I get even more coins by working on that same goal with someone else?

    Nope. Each goal can only be completed once by each person.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4861366 said:
    To join in Goals you don't have to be friends with people on either Facebook or XBLA, you can just fire up RB World and see who is currently working on that Goal and you have the option of joining them. I found out when Apples sniped my RHCP Goal without being friends with me on line. Drake, meanwhile, has been joining random Goals and stealing all the coins at the last minute. So it works both ways.

    Wow, I didn't see this option at all, maybe I need to use a different browser? Or was looking in the wrong place? This would be kinda cool. Expect for, y'know, that whole griefing / sniping issue. It would be very handy when you can't find / don't have a song needed for a scavenger hunt. Or if you're only one star short and the goal is about to expire, you would still get almost all of the coins if someone came along and finished the goal. Otherwise: yeah, pretty brutal, if it's a goal you were fully expecting to (hoping to!) finish by yourself. The payout is proportional to the work done, that's totally fair - nobody can steal all of the coins in the goal without doing all the work on it! - but they could have just done the exact same thing on their own account, and then you BOTH could have had the opportunity to get a full set of coins from that particular goal.

    How rude! And yet intriguing. Yet another reason I'm excited about playing some more Blitz tonight.

    What does it look like when someone else plays one of the songs in a goal on your account? Is it checked off without you playing it? Or (and this could explain something I noted, in the parenthetical challenge) would it appear to never have been played, and not be checked off, and yet also not be credited when you play a specfic song that was needed for a scavenger hunt?
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I'm confused about the solo goals. Yesterday before I even got Blitz I started the New Wave solo goal and played Devo in RB3. It registered, but awarded me 0 coins.

    I thought maybe that was because I didn't have Blitz yet, so today I got Blitz, started the Grunge goal, and played Pearl Jam in Blitz. That also registered, but also got me 0 coins.

    What do I have to do for these things to give me coins?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Verify/link your Blitz game to your RBW app.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4861261 said:
    Whoops, I am totally not pulling my weight on that Community Plays Metal goal yet. That's fair though, the folks that get 100 stars SHOULD get more of the 4,000 coin jackpot than I get for my current contribution of 4 stars.
    OK, it looks like I got that wrong. First, it's a 2,000 coin jackpot, not 4,000, and also everyone gets the full 2,000 coins if the community finishes the goal in time: that particular goal doesn't get split up proportionally. Everyone that joined? Everyone that joined and also contributed? I'm not sure, exactly. We'll see, I guess.

    This makes sense, in retrospect, because splitting up even 4,000 coins among the hundreds (thousands?) of people that have contributed would be ridiculous. Pointless, even. Instead, it's quite generous. Always join the Community Goals! And then, yeah, also help finish them.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    thatmarkguy;4861636 said:
    Verify/link your Blitz game to your RBW app.

    Blitz acted like I already did that, and the Pearl Jam song I played shows up under the goal: "Charles W. played Master/Slave by Pearl Jam"

    ... ok, when I logged back in to RBW just now it gave me a big congratulatory message about getting 400 coins for the new wave goal I did yesterday, though if I go look up the goal in the goal list it still says completed but 0 coins awarded. Under Blitz stuff on my profile it says I have 400 coins but I'm not sure whether that's from the goal or from the Blitz song I played. And it said I had 400 coins earlier, but I thought that was the basic award for playing my song in Blitz (since it says I also have some "cred")

    It feels like different parts of the app are catching up with different streams of info from the games at different times. I'll come look again later tonight and see if it tells me something consistent...
Sign In or Register to comment.