Offline woes

necroComiconnecroComicon Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I can accept this being an ONLINE ONLY game and would have still bought it for the songs for RB3. I was saddened to see this morning that all my offline play last night didn't even save the star scores I had racked up. I can accept no powerups, coins etc, but having ZERO in the way of a localized save seems cruel. There is basically no reason for me to play RBBLITZ other than that the control scheme and gameplay and songs are fun. Please patch in some kind of localized score or star save. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Gold is not required! Silver subscribers can still be connected to the internet! All you have to do is not play totally offline (i.e. not connected to Live).
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I found it very annoying that I could not retrieve coins or use power-ups offline. Like... REALLY annoying. This has nothing to do with competing with anyone but myself. I never have my XBox connected to the internet and now I have to just to have a game worth playing.
  • Sgt PipperSgt Pipper Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4861372 said:
    Gold is not required! Silver subscribers can still be connected to the internet! All you have to do is not play totally offline (i.e. not connected to Live).
    Cool, thanks! So the only difference is I won't be able to play vs. another player online, correct?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Sgt Pipper;4861391 said:
    Cool, thanks! So the only difference is I won't be able to play vs. another player online, correct?

There's no such feature in the game at all.
  • lazyhoboguylazyhoboguy Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Yea I am still pretty shocked at how destroyed the offline mode is. All we want is to be able to play the game offline with powerups and save our high scores to compete with ourselves. That is asking very little of any game that you paid for. The game is pretty fun too, but the broken offline mode has soured my opinion of it and Harmonix.
    edited August 2012
    lazyhoboguy;4861408 said:
    Yea I am still pretty shocked at how destroyed the offline mode is. All we want is to be able to play the game offline with powerups and save our high scores to compete with ourselves. That is asking very little of any game that you paid for. The game is pretty fun too, but the broken offline mode has soured my opinion of it and Harmonix.

I actually agree with this. I can say pretty certainly that the offline version of the game, at the very least, is just not a very fun game at all. It is too barebones and I'm disappointed that I am restricted to connect to the internet (very difficult in my situation) to get the game I wanted to play in the first place.

So, unless someone wants to spend $60 on a wireless adapter for me, I'm still disappointed.

Great game, don't get me wrong, terrible offline mode.
  • HamKetHamKet Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Wait a second. Your offline progress counts for nothing?

I don't see how HMX could see this as a good choice, given that not everyone can be connected to the internet at all times.
    edited August 2012
    HamKet;4861416 said:
    Wait a second. Your offline progress counts for nothing?

I don't see how HMX could see this as a good choice, given that not everyone can be connected to the internet at all times.

Even if it didn't "count" for anything, they could have at least given us the full game to play offline. It'd still be annoying, but it'd at least be fun.
    edited August 2012
    So the offline game is gimped (no power ups) as well, AND offline progress doesn't count towards leaderboards or goals?

Yikes. That's...worse than I thought.

Does the game at least tell you that not being connected to Rock Central will impede gameplay?
    edited August 2012
    HamKet;4861424 said:
    So the offline game is gimped (no power ups) as well, AND offline progress doesn't count towards leaderboards or goals?

Yikes. That's...worse than I thought.

Does the game at least tell you that not being connected to Rock Central will impede gameplay?

I found out after I finished a song and my connection had been cut in the middle. I spent coins on the powerups, but didn't gain any at the end. "Sorry about that". it said.

I think that if you can't connect on startup, it DOES tell you that you can't use powerups or anything, though.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Just finished playing a song and was greeted with a message at the end saying that I was no longer connected to Rock Central. No coins or cred for me. Yay...
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    This is kinda annoying. I came back home, was excited to get playing, and it told me "Rock Central cannot be accessed". Okay, well, I guess I won't bother playing now. Bummer.
  • FredyGarbagisFredyGarbagis Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Such a bummer!

This situation remembers me of the madness Ubisoft delivered with their DRM plans... Such a trainwreck. Without CONTINUOUS internet connection, or if Rock Central servers are down (or unstable) you are left with gimped down version of the game. It's really a great offense to the consumer.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Tykki-Teme;4861471 said:
    This is kinda annoying. I came back home, was excited to get playing, and it told me "Rock Central cannot be accessed". Okay, well, I guess I won't bother playing now. Bummer.

Temporary hiccup, should be fixed now.
    edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4861557 said:
    Temporary hiccup, should be fixed now.

Problem solved.

But not really.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    This is quite ridiculous not having a local save and fully functional offline mode. I've been disconnected 3 times already from Rock Central, I'm on PS3 and lost my song progress and cred each time. I also play on 2 different consoles in my house, so now I can't even switch and maintain star progress
    edited August 2012
    ghostofjarjar;4861581 said:
    This is quite ridiculous not having a local save and fully functional offline mode. I've been disconnected 3 times already from Rock Central, I'm on PS3 and lost my song progress and cred each time. I also play on 2 different consoles in my house, so now I can't even switch and maintain star progress
    By now developers all around should have noticed technology is not yet ready to guarantee an always online console environment.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I've been bringing this up for weeks,since E3 when they did the Gamespot thing and didn't have powerups and I asked about it. Heck I sent to Kotaku even. Not that they bothered to post it or any reviewer out there actually did their job and mentioned this.

Though the no progress at all is new.
  • EdwardooEdwardoo Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    must agree,
    I mean, I bought RB Blitz only for the songs but I tried the game too and I must say it´s super duper awesome and fun, it reminds me of Audiosurf on PC, but yeah it sucks with the offline mode,
    I have internet on XBOX but not all the time, I only can have Internet on PC or XBOX so I can´t be online on XBOX all the time, and the offline really sucks, no powerups, no scores, no saves, damnnn, fix this Harmonix, PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4861653 said:
    I've been bringing this up for weeks,since E3 when they did the Gamespot thing and didn't have powerups and I asked about it. Heck I sent to Kotaku even. Not that they bothered to post it or any reviewer out there actually did their job and mentioned this.

Though the no progress at all is new.
    Dumb reviewers can only say nonsense like "the music genre is dead", in a year with titles like Rhythm Heaven Fever, Retro/Grade, Sound Shapes, Lumines Vita, Rhythm Hunter: Harmo Knight, Dyad, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Rhythm Thief, and of course RB Blitz.

Critics got no clue.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    atalkingfish;4861420 said:
    Even if it didn't "count" for anything, they could have at least given us the full game to play offline. It'd still be annoying, but it'd at least be fun.

I agree with this completely. It would still just be, essentially, practice mode for the "real" game (which can only be played when you are connected online). But at least it would be a practice mode that allows you to get used to using the powerups.

I suppose part of the hook of the game is to force you into playing long enough, and well enough, on enough different songs, before you earn the ability to unlock the powerups in the first place. But I don't see how it would ruin the balance of the game to also have them available in offline mode, where you can't use them to rack up a massive score any way. I would hope they would add that functionality, at some point, maybe after the game has already been out for a few weeks and they've already created hundreds of thousand of addicts, people who had to earn everything the hard way.

Or, yes, they could make it very clear that the game can't be played at full functionality in offline mode. It's awkward and less satisfying to play wihout RBW connected, but it's still the exact same game. Offline, it is not unfair to call it a stripped-down practice mode / demo [though it CAN still be played with all of your songs].
    edited August 2012
    One Week,no powerups
    35,060 - All lanes
    37,169 - Vox lane only

Think we have a problem here.
    edited August 2012
    I'd like HMX to chime in here. I am really interested to know why they deemed it acceptable for the game to be so stripped down offline, without informing the player.

Surely they couldn't have thought no one would play offline?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    HamKet;4861723 said:
    I'd like HMX to chime in here. I am really interested to know why they deemed it acceptable for the game to be so stripped down offline, without informing the player.

I think they were very clear in these boards that they were doing it, and why they were doing it - well, maybe I'm just an apologist for Harmonix, but the explanation made a lot of sense to me. But it doesn't look like they mention this issue anywhere in the PSN store listing, which I find just a bit surprising.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4861738 said:
    I think they were very clear in these boards that they were doing it, and why they were doing it - well, maybe I'm just an apologist for Harmonix, but the explanation made a lot of sense to me. But it doesn't look like they mention this issue anywhere in the PSN store listing, which I find just a bit surprising.
    It's a downloadable title, meaning that you at least need an internet connection to download it in the first place. As for requiring a continuous connection, I tried to start Blitz under a local profile (i.e. an offline account, not even Xbox Live Silver) and when it couldn't connect to Rock Central I got an explanation about how the game would be different when playing offline. Presumably anyone playing the demo would see the same thing.
    edited August 2012
    HamKet;4861723 said:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230519&p=4815956&viewfull=1#post4815956
    edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle: If HXM commented on it before release, that's good to know. I'm not on these forums often to see all of their posts. Might you have any links where they state or imply that online is needed?

Skippy Deluxe: I haven't played the game except for one or two songs this morning before work, so I don't know what happens offline when you go offline. If it does state that gameplay changes, that's great. (But not so great if you didn't 't know about it before you bought the game.)

I really do think there should be a disclaimer in the game's respective marketplaces clearly stating it needs a constant internet connection to get the full experience. This is the kind of information that informs a purchase. (There is no such statement in the Xbox description of the game:
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Rock-Band-Blitz/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841122d )
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4861753 said:

Thanks for that.

While I understand the reasoning that Pope mentions, it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing they should be counting on. Many people do not have a reliable internet connection or even broadband. Others go use the connection from work/school/their friends to download things, then take their consoles home and play offline.
  • KainKain Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I think the decision to neuter the Offline mode the way they did is only shooting themselves in face. Okay, so leader boards and social interaction is one of the major points they're pushing. That's great for people who are into that thing. But what about the people who just want to play the game without any of that nonsense?

A friend of mine doesn't have the internet. He's got a job that only really gives him enough money to support himself, his girlfriend, and his three children. He can buy a game every now and then, but the internet and even cable television is a luxury he can't really afford to pay on a monthly basis. Now, I'll pick him up at his house some 20-30 minutes away every month or two, take him and his PS3 back to my house so he can use my internet to download any game patches or buy something from the PSN store, and then it's back to his house where he doesn't get to go online. He was interested in Blitz, but now that he sees he can't even play it fully, he's not going to bother.

I mean, seriously. Those who want to use RB World will do it. I've got no problem using it. But keeping others out in the cold because they can't is just bad for everyone.
    edited August 2012
    Kain;4861834 said:
    I think the decision to neuter the Offline mode the way they did is only shooting themselves in face. Okay, so leader boards and social interaction is one of the major points they're pushing. That's great for people who are into that thing. But what about the people who just want to play the game without any of that nonsense?

A friend of mine doesn't have the internet. He's got a job that only really gives him enough money to support himself, his girlfriend, and his three children. He can buy a game every now and then, but the internet and even cable television is a luxury he can't really afford to pay on a monthly basis. Now, I'll pick him up at his house some 20-30 minutes away every month or two, take him and his PS3 back to my house so he can use my internet to download any game patches or buy something from the PSN store, and then it's back to his house where he doesn't get to go online. He was interested in Blitz, but now that he sees he can't even play it fully, he's not going to bother.

I mean, seriously. Those who want to use RB World will do it. I've got no problem using it. But keeping others out in the cold because they can't is just bad for everyone.
    That's a pretty good example and I'm sure there are plenty of other stories similar to that from your friend, especially if you consider 360 and PS3 are getting cheaper by the day. Also, internet connection outside of the "first world" is rarely reliable.