Is this true or a Rumor?

metalgod22metalgod22 Opening Act
edited September 2012 in LEGO: Rock Band
Well I keep hearin' about LRB2 and I want 2 know R they Comin' out with that next?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I haven't heard anything about it but it would be cool.
  • edited August 2012
    Nothing planned or announced as far as I know. So I'd count whatever you've heard as 'just a rumor' for now.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2012
    I would absolutely buy one. But as Lex said, nothing has been announced yet, so it's all speculation at the moment.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited August 2012
    LRB 2 would be awesome and an insta-buy.........

...though if it ever existed it BETTER have online play this time around (add some parental controls for those that worry about it). Some of the other Lego Games do.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Does it even count as a rumour when there's no source and nobody else has heard about it?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4862730 said:
    Does it even count as a rumour when there's no source and nobody else has heard about it?

"I heard on the Rock Band Forums that there might be a new LRB game!"
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    folkeye;4862626 said:
    LRB 2 would be awesome and an insta-buy.........

...though if it ever existed it BETTER have online play this time around (add some parental controls for those that worry about it). Some of the other Lego Games do.
    The easy thing to do would be to remove chat. Do that to fix the rating, limit folks to 1 songs apiece, and show DLC, and otherwise keep RB3's online, and you're good.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4863669 said:
    The easy thing to do would be to remove chat. Do that to fix the rating, limit folks to 1 songs apiece, and show DLC, and otherwise keep RB3's online, and you're good.

Yeah pretty much. As long as you can't cuss at each other over the air, life is good and family friendly :p

Not all multiplayer games are in need of chat I recently played into Journey, both alone, then ventured online to see how it was. Without ever knowing who I was playing with (until the end credits), nor being able to communicate with them in any way was pretty awesome. It had a sense of togetherness that you couldn't experience just talking at somebody. It'd work for a LRB game.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4863669 said:

If they did that, then I would only use that for playing online. :)
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4863669 said:
    They'd also have to mute any singer; some people would definitely belt out obscene revisions of song lyrics. (Do they broadcast the singer's performance in normal online)?

I don't see a sequel to LRB happening though. The first one supposedly sold pretty poorly.
  • edited August 2012
    Rumor has it he's the one I'm leaving you for.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    100% true
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    mikeyts;4864681 said:
    They'd also have to mute any singer; some people would definitely belt out obscene revisions of song lyrics. (Do they broadcast the singer's performance in normal online)?
    It's something the singer can toggle, with one of the shoulder buttons. I never really understood it, because on the rare occasions that I sing it is NOT to have others hear me.
    mikeyts;4864681 said:
    I don't see a sequel to LRB happening though. The first one supposedly sold pretty poorly.

Yeah, no sequel, but did it really sell poorly? The only game I'm aware of that sold poorly enough to get a reputation as such was Green Day Rock Band.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4864908 said:
    Yeah, no sequel, but did it really sell poorly? The only game I'm aware of that sold poorly enough to get a reputation as such was Green Day Rock Band.
    Well, maybe not absolutely horrible. The Wikipedia article on it sites a source as saying that it sold 600K copies in the first 4 months, but the article referenced doesn't seem to talk about it. VGChartz (I know, not the most reliable source of info) says that it's sold approximately 490,000 copies worldwide to date.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    600,000 copies of 45 songs is bad? That's over $36 million in revenue on the game.

And how did Green Day sell poorly? It was virtually all deep cuts, made off an engine that already existed, was pretty much the pinnacle of 'discounts in bulk' we'll see, didn't have many venues or details. It sold 80,000 copies in a few weeks, we're thrilled when DLC hits 10,000 copies ever.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    Well, there's your key difference. They're not DLC packs, but retail titles. And sadly, in this day and age, selling under a million copies often results in net loss. It would have been especially hurtful for LEGO, what with the multitude of licensing deals in regards to in-game avatars and the LEGO name itself, having to develop a metric ton of new assets, and, of course, distribution deals.
    edited September 2012
    You're forgetting that music games aren't made with a $200 million budget. Much like anything ever, there's no universal 'X units sold means profit!' line.

Also, if we felt like being selfish, we could say Traveller's Tales and that other company made LEGO and Green Day, so Harmonix's dev costs were far lower.
    edited September 2012
    Right, but the costs would still have been exponentially higher than a DLC pack, due to heavier licensing, distribution deals and the like.

Of course 80,000 units of Green Day sold is great for a DLC pack. It's not good for a retail game, universal profit line be damned.
    edited September 2012
    80,000 units in a matter of weeks is BAD? Please share why.

Obviously it costs more, but you don't need to hit RB2 levels to turn a profit.
    edited September 2012
    The first month is where games often see the most sales, so if Green Day sold around 80,000 in that period, we can extrapolate that it probably sold close to 200,000 in total, and that's if we're being generous.

Now, I don't claim to have complete insight into the development cycle of GD:RB, but it's fair to say that it would have cost a fair bit more money to license and accrue the materials required for making the game than any old DLC pack, or even the previous GD packs. The game had three full albums (more or less), split across a few different labels, in itself adding to the busywork and cost of the game. Given that there was still one track missing from Dookie, and it was revealed that digitizing the previous two albums woul destroy the masters, it should show that the acquisition of the masters they did get was definitely harder than the average song, though still not nearly as difficult as The Beatles, of course.

Add to this the general development cost of a full band game (mo-cap, old materials and extras, revamped interfaces). But we're not done yet. Here's the biggest seperation.

For selling DLC, Harmonix only needs to split the profits to one party each: Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, for hosting the DLC on their online services, and I stipulate that all they do is take a portion of the money made from a sale of a DLC item, similar to how Steam purpotedly does it. With a retail game?

Again, I have no inside knowledge into HMX's business deal with EA, but they sure as hell weren't going to let them have all the profit, especially when they had to ship and distribute it themselves. Add to this the cost of retailers holding onto the game and it's hard to say if HMX saw much money back on each sale of the game. And again, the cost for distributing a retail title is expotentially higher than distributing DLC, even if you're handing the job to someone else.

I did some quick math, and if we were to assume that GD:RB sold for $45 RRP, if we multiplied that by 80,000, the number of units sold in the first few weeks, you'll see that the money generated what $3.6 million. If we take that to 200,000, we come up with $9 million. That's paltry, pure and simple.
    edited September 2012
    Is it paltry based on you not knowing how much money went into the game, not actually being able to extrapolate, not realizing that those were US only sales and wasn't a full month, or completely ignoring both DLC packs that also went into the 'money back from licensing Green Day' column?
    edited September 2012
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    mikeyts;4864681 said:
    (Do they broadcast the singer's performance in normal online)?
    Not normally no. You have to hold down the chat button for that to happen. If they remove chat, that would be removed too.