Its official - I'm "freakish"

SkodeSkode Headliner
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Its the only way i can play the game comfortable... surely im not the only one.

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    You're not the only one. I didn't get one minute into my first song before I hit the options menu and went freaky.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Me too. I switched early and now I'm stuck on it. The only thing I don't like about it is that my index fingers don't seem quite as dexterous as my thumbs would be, and tend to seize up while playing fast stuff (e.g. crazy solos). Does anyone have enough playtime with the default control scheme to be able to say whether this makes a difference?
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Pretty much the first thing I did in this game was go through the different control setups and decided to go with freakish. It just seemed to be the one that made the most sense to me and honestly I'm kind of surprised it's not the default setup.

Also I've tried playing it on my Tekken 6 fightstick. Works pretty well, but idk if it's all that much better that the standard controller, as I thought it would be. Definitely feels like a game you'd play at an arcade when using something like that so it's kind of fitting in a way. It sort of defeats purpose of the whole "no peripherals required" marketing though, but hey if you have one lying around it's worth giving it a shot.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    Ive been trying freakish but Ive been screwed over too many times by the d-pad. I know you can use the analog sticks to switch tracks but that doesnt feel comfortable. I might go back to shoulders
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I had to do it that way as well - I didn't even try playing a song any other way. Shoulder/trigger for me all the way.
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Must be a Scottish thing Scode. Only way I can play the game comfortably. Still sonetimes lose my thumb off the stick when switching tracks but I'll get used to it.
  • edited August 2012
    I had been playing RB3 on the DS recently as 'preparation', so I'm pretty comfortable with the default setup myself.
  • lazyhoboguylazyhoboguy Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I also play the "Freakish" control setup and it really should be called "FreQish" as its essentially just letting you play like the ps2 games frequency and amplitude. I tried the default controls on blitz for awhile, but felt more comfortable with the Frequency style controls.
  • RickXTNRickXTN Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Also have to use those controls. When I started playing it with the default controls my instinct was to hit the triggers for notes which, on default, kept switching tracks. So it was less what control felt comfortable and more which one just was more instinctive. :-)
  • RidethePiggyRidethePiggy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I had to get freaky before I started the first song.
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Freakish was the only controller method I could do anything with.
    On a related note, putting it on typewriter basically lets you use plastic guitars with the game, as the left and right buttons are now the green and red frets.
    edited August 2012
    I cant fly from one track to the track on the other side of the screen using Freakish. Thats how I play and its probably hurting me but its how I roll. Also THE D-PAD SUCKS SO MUCH MALE GENITALIA!
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4861705 said:
    Me too. I switched early and now I'm stuck on it. The only thing I don't like about it is that my index fingers don't seem quite as dexterous as my thumbs would be, and tend to seize up while playing fast stuff (e.g. crazy solos). Does anyone have enough playtime with the default control scheme to be able to say whether this makes a difference?

I play with default. That's why it's default :-)

I can usually 100% the slow and medium songs (like, not miss a note for the whole song).

My best performance so far on a solo is 98% on the long solo in Cult of Personality. I don't know how that stacks up with what you guys are doing.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    Oh! Also!

If you play default you can skip left or right two tracks quickly by mashing shoulder and trigger.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I switched to Freaky after my first song.
    Then I switched back to Default after my second song.
    I expected to go Amplitude on it, but Blitz uses a lot of one note rolls that my index finger can't handle.
    With the Playstation controllers having the D-pad where the thumb is, it is much easier to switch lanes. I can't get that precision from an Xbox joystick.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I had a hard time passing the first tutorial with the default... but with freakish I am amazing!
  • FredEffinChopinFredEffinChopin Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Freakish is actually the least comfortable for me (since on faster rhythms I tend to lift my right thumb and hold it there to avoid accidentally activating overdrive), but I find it most effective of the provided setups. It's not even that I have better dexterity on shoulder buttons, but it's just to awkward to use the dpad/button combo. Aside from the issue of the feel of dpads as a button (especially one used so frequently, and with an aim for precision), the aural aspect of it is weird. The left side is completely mute, and while the right side makes noise, it's a double-click, one when the button presses down and one when it's released. I know it might sound minor, but I found it to be way too distracting.

So yeah, I'm freakish.

On a sort of side-note, the ability to flip the (on PS3, obviously) X and Square buttons would be a very welcome option.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    What do you guys mean by "freakish"? I don't have Blitz and won't get it until I get an Xbox.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4861977 said:
    What do you guys mean by "freakish"? I don't have Blitz and won't get it until I get an Xbox.

it is one of the control types... it uses the shoulder buttons to hit the notes
    edited August 2012
    firedoom666;4861981 said:
    it is one of the control types... it uses the shoulder buttons to hit the notes

Shoulder and Triggers to hit notes and analog sticks+d-pad to switch tracks
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I grabbed a handful of number #1 spots on the default set up but I'm quickly falling in love with Freakish.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I tried freakish near the beginning, but the Xbox triggers don't have the same comfortable clickiness you get from a PS2 controller. Oh well, I guess all those years of Rock Band Unplugged and Rock Band 3 for DS caught up to me.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    I played Default for a while, then I switched to Freakish and the name seemed like a misnomer. I can't understand why you wouldn't use the shoulders or bumpers to hit the notes.

I would say something about how the game constantly laughing at me is condescending and rude, but he who laughs last...
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Okay, I tried out a couple of the other control schemes after flipping between Freakish on my normal gamepad and Freakish on my fightstick. Tried default and hated it instantly. Feels way too weird hitting the notes by moving the analog sticks. When I'm doing something as precise as timing a note in a rhythm game like this, I need the tactile feedback of a button press. I tried Typewriter next and sort of fell in love. Sort of combined what I liked about the two setups I mentioned at first. I found it more comfortable to hit the notes, especially on fast sections, with the button layout on my fightstick. However, the overdrive Powerup button wasnt as accessible as when I was using the normal gamepad. With typewriter on a standard controller, I have the comfort of tapping buttons in the more "arcade-style" fashion, along with easily being able to reach the overdrive on either the left bumper or trigger.
  • Burntoutat22Burntoutat22 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Man, I'm freaky as hell. I got pretty used to default at first though. Not yet sure which control scheme fits my playstyle best. All I know is, sever carpal tunnel syndrome is DEFINITELY in my future. Ay Caramba!
    edited August 2012
    Lowlander2;4862247 said:
    I played Default for a while, then I switched to Freakish and the name seemed like a misnomer. I can't understand why you wouldn't use the shoulders or bumpers to hit the notes.

The name is a call back to Frequency.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I switched to it after playing 2 songs and it is much easier. I use the xbox bumpers though.
  • SpidermaniacSpidermaniac Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I'm a shoulder/trigger man myself. Seems to require the least amount og "OMG where are my fingers!" for me :)