What do you think of Rock Band Blitz?

KarnexKarnex Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Today I woke up, excited, and rushed to the Xbox and downloaded Blitz. I had no Microsoft points and you can't buy exactly 1200 Microsoft Points (the cost of Blitz) so I ended up paying over $21 + tax. I used the remainder for "Gonzo" and now I'm twenty points short of getting another song. Other than this, let me start off with, I personally love Blitz.

I was a big Rock Band Unplugged fan, and I could gold-star every song in the game on my PSP-1000 at age 11. I brought my PSP wherever I went and I only had Unplugged and MLB 09 The Show so maybe that will explain why I am so good. My performance in Unplugged lead to Tap Tap Revenge, and in minutes, I could get perfect scores on Extreme lol.

Rock Band Blitz is very fun like Unplugged. But I find that the two games feel very different. Unplugged is about playing short phrases of notes and keeping all instruments playing well. Blitz is more about doing whatever it takes to get a high score, which will include strategic use of power-ups. I find myself very bad at Rock Band Blitz. I can only get 3-4 stars on each song I play. This may be because I'm not used to the game just yet. Because of all my playing of Unplugged, I don't like to switch tracks without playing on them for quite some time. Rock Band Blitz kind of feels weird on the Xbox 360 Controller, I find. I am currently using the "Shoulder" controls, but I'm not used to hitting the Bumpers. I think that Blitz would be much easier on the PS3.
The "Blitzification" of the small amount of DLC I have took seconds, which quite surprised me. After my songs were "Blitzified", I tried a lot of songs and found Blitz very fun. Blitz is an easy game, but one that is hard to master.
Blitz also feels very much like an "Arcade Game", and that's what it is. People are forgetting that it is one. It's not a retail game that goes on sale for $60. There is no tour mode, and basically/technically the whole game is "Quickplay". You can't make characters either, and no characters are featured in the game except the random people you see as your charts run through the streets of the fictional "Rock City."

Overall, it's a great game. I would give it a 7 or 7.5/10. I thought it would be a bit better though, but I'm not too disappointed because I got my track pack. Thank you Harmonix for this lovely, entertaining game.

Reasons to get Blitz:
-The soundtrack (if you like it)
-Exportable track pack to Rock Band 3 (no additional cost or export key required)
-Achievements/Trophies
-Fun
-Love for getting high scores
-No instruments/Your parents think you play too loud on your plastic drums

I don't reccommend purchasing Blitz if any three or four of these apply to you.
-Don't enjoy button-tapping
-Don't like the Blitz soundtrack (search it up, it may be a bit too "poppy" for your taste)
-Don't want to spend $15 or 1200 Microsoft Points (on Blitz)
-Don't really care about getting high-scores
-Want to play along to music with plastic instruments rather than on a controller
-You're an Xbox 360 user and you think that your friends will find you pathetic for button-tapping.

Comments

• gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I think its interesting, but not fascinating. I mis-post before, ive only had it one day now.
    Frankly, I tried it and its ok. A bit frustrating that I couldnt see my current goals progress from the game screens.
  • KarnexKarnex Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I agree. Other than parts of the game, I was disappointed by Blitz's achievements. You have to have quite a bit of DLC or have exported songs from previous Rock Band games. I have TBRB, RB3, and Blitz on Xbox 360. I have Rock Band, Rock Band Track Pack Vol.1, and Rock Band 2 on my Wii with a few downloaded tracks.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I've got a few minor gripes with it (mainly with the sorting system sort of reverting back to more of a RB2 style), but overall it's fun and can get extremely frantic and exciting. First impression is that it feels like a game that the diehard ScoreHero types who play Rock Band and like to explore every little detail about the songs and overdrive paths to get the absolute highest possible score will have an amazing time with this, with all the various ways to play using different power ups and switching between different tracks. Me personally though, I've always been more the type to just focus on hitting as many notes as I can, so this is quite an adjustment for me. Definitely not a bad thing, just different.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I think it's fun to play.
    BUT
    It's missing a vital control option or even to customize it yourself. Freqish is the best but not great.
    The songlist is an absolute tragedy.
    Missing out on 99% of the game if you're not connected online all the time or if you are connected online and you get disconnected for some reason.

So to quote Smash TV "I'd buy that for a dollar!"
    It was $3 before but that was when I thought only 50% of the game would be missed out on if you're not always connected.
  • KrystofKrystof Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    -It's not a party game
    -It's not a music simulation game

HOWEVER, it IS a great score game with awesome tunes. The past year I've been getting bored holding plastic guitars or beating on plastic drums, wishing there was a controller equivalent. It's exactly what I wanted gameplay wise. Although it would of been great to have a career mode or to create a band, I'm really happy with my purchase.

Bottom line: you will be disappointed if you are expecting this to be Rock Band 4, but very happy if you wanted a new way to take advantage of your song library.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    What do I think of Blitz?

*cough*
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I got it. I am enjoying the game itself.

I hope for a patch for something for offline mode - I don't care about my score in comparison to others, and I don't care about goals. I just want to figure out the game, unlock power ups, and later on beat my own best old score.

The regular Rock Band is my game, and this is a nice little diversion. But it is really designed for people that play for many different reasons than I do. Not even hooking up to RB World.

I would have bought the soundtrack itself for 15, so the game is basically a little extra freebee for me.

Playing the game is fun, and I don't regret buying it by any means.
  • Burntoutat22Burntoutat22 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I've only had 3 hours or so gametime with Blitz so far, but man, I am hooked. I wish it was the weekend already, so I wouldn't have to go to work! Plus, it's Labor Day weekend, so extra day off for me!

Plus, on top of it being a really FUN game with a good competitive landscape already established; ie [RB:World, Score Wars], buying the game for $15/1200 MSP gives you a pretty decent 25-song-track-pack.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I've had it for a total of 26 hours, and have clocked up 15 hours of gameplay. I can't put it down! Love it :D
  • clarknovaclarknova Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    It's OK. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. My problem with the game is that I don't really feel like I'm achieving anything. It just feels like a high score run and nothing more. With Frequency and Amplitude, you had to get the tracks going nicely, and of course on RB it was about hitting the notes. This even feels like a step behind Audiosurf and Symphony. It's fun for a bit, but not 15 bucks worth of fun. 10 would have been better for what the game is.

As far as the songs that came with it, had they been released separately, I would have truly only bought 4 out of the 25.

So all in all, decent, but not amazing by a long shot.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    this game.... is not my thing.
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Blegh... Its an iOS game being released on the PSN/360.

It's not really my thing... I want Rock Band 4 already.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    It's fun, although quite an adjustment. I never played Amplitude or those games so this format is new for me. It's been forever since I only got three stars on a song. The controls will take some getting used to, tried a few other control layouts and it was still tough. In particular, the vocals tracks are just odd...it feels very unintuitive compared to the other instruments. But I'll get better hopefully.

I played it for a while, but it's been hard to resist just playing the Blitz songs in RB3. "One Week" was the most fun I've had on vocals in a LONG time.
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    It's not my thing.

I don't feel like I'm actually playing the songs like I do in RB3, so right there it's a waste to me. Instead, I just feel like I'm mashing buttons while a song plays in the background.
  • clarknovaclarknova Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Tom Imp;4862519 said:
    It's not my thing.

I don't feel like I'm actually playing the songs like I do in RB3, so right there it's a waste to me. Instead, I just feel like I'm mashing buttons while a song plays in the background.
    I think this hits the nail on the head pretty well.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2012
    I haven't been crazy enthusiastic about it so far, as there was a tragedy in my personal life that kinda blindsided me earlier this week. Still, I played it some yesterday before I went to sleep, and I've found an impulse urge to try a song or two when I woke up in the morning, and then I fired off a Score War so I'll see how that is when I get home, and so I guess I'm kinda addicted to this game after all.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Tom Imp;4862519 said:
    It's not my thing.

That's why I'm not crazy about it. The awesome thing about RB to me is the track separation and the feeling like you're actually responsible for making the track be heard. (i.e playing the notes) I think it's awesome to hear individual tracks drop-in out in your songs as you get to appreciate each musician's work in a way you don't get to with an mp3. The cool factor there is pretty huge. There's a bit of that with the volume levels of the tracks being different, but it doesn't feel as fun or interactive as RB Unplugged, which I like much more. I'd love to have a non-instrument way to "play" all of my DLC the tracks more interactively than Blitz. It's still fun, though.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    After almost two years of waiting, Blitz gave me the chance to finally play Spoonman on expert Pro drums. This alone makes Blitz Game of the Year for me.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I thought it was the most awesome game in the world, but I have to take a few points off for the solo on "The Battle of Lil' Slugger."
  • DesvergerDesverger Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I think it's pretty good for what it is, but unfortunately what it is is not what greatly interests me. I'll probably play it a few times more (for the novelty and the cheaper achievements), but I can't see any way it will become something I look forward to playing.

Of course, I've only played two songs so I might be premature. Perhaps the massive hand cramps I suffered won't be a regular feature?
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4862567 said:
    I thought it was the most awesome game in the world, but I have to take a few points off for the solo on "The Battle of Lil' Slugger."

Yea, Ozone threw a score war at me on that and I was kinda disappointed at how relatively easy it is.

But, at least "Bang" by Rockapella finally makes sense! The extra little bit of abstraction really helps the more avant-garde tracks feel right.
  • A_Drunken_SmurfA_Drunken_Smurf Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    If you're finding you have hand cramps, try a different control style. I personally found that Freakish worked well for me, using the left thumbstick to move between tracks, and the Left and Right triggers to hit the notes. The triggers are a slight bit slower than the bumpers, but I feel that my grip is better when hitting the triggers. I had little difficulty keeping up with the faster songs, though we'll see how it goes after a few more days.
  • B3N1_HUB3N1_HU Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I totally love it, played like 12hrs since release. After getting the powerups I started to fear that I won't have anything left to do, but those Gold Stars are really tough on some songs (unfortunately on the Blitz ones). I have RB1 export, where I goldstarred like 6 songs in a row, so those are a bit too easy, but yeah, the game is fine :)
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I like it a lot. At first I was not sold. But after playing for a few hours It really grew on my. Not big on the competing though. And since I have a buttload of DLC (some of which I have never played in RB) I will be busy with it for a long time.