Which Blitz Control Scheme Do You Use?

mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Just curious--"Freakish" for me. If you've been using more than one, which do you most often?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    mikeyts;4862181 said:
    4 people have responded to the poll as I write this, all of whom say they use "Freakish", but two have written responses saying that they use the Default. Vote Doc and MagicMurderBag!

I don't wanna vote til I try them all!!!!
  • Least100SeraphsLeast100Seraphs Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I couldn't make it through a single song on default controls, thanks to the terrible 360 d-pad. I then tried Freakish but the bumpers just didn't feel right - in fast sections it was too cumbersome. The game also changed lanes on me a couple of times in this mode - perhaps an analog stick sensitivity/deadzone issue?
    Now I use my arcade stick (Hori Real Arcade Pro EX). It's almost perfect - unfortunately RB Blitz's lack of customisation prevents it from being perfect. Unless I'm mistaken, every layout leaves power-up activation on the X button. I'm actually tempted to open up my arcade stick and move the X button to the bottom left so that I can activate overdrive with my thumb.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited August 2012
    Shoulders all the way. Definitely the most comfortable after long periods of time, only problem is that I'm really working out muscles below my forearms that I barely use, but that'll beef up in time

I have issues where the RB/LB buttons get double-tapped and I lose a combo, but I'm learning more and more finesse with those buttons every minute I play
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2012
    Because my brother done broke my Xbox controller, I'm using my guitar and using Typewritter. It works, but I can't deploy overdrive, so I'm stuck relying on the Overdrive Powerups.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I use shoulders. I like having both thumbsticks available to switch two tracks quickly at once.

And I can't stand the PS3 controllers for ,ost games. Maybe they're better for RBB, but they are too light, the thumbsticks are too squishy, and they tend to slip out of my hands because of their lightness (but that may be because I have sweaty gamer hand syndrome).
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I went through all of the control schemes yesterday when I tried the PS3 demo and settled on "Freakish". The Xbox controller shoulder buttons are fine, but the triggers are way to stiff to use rapidly. With the PS3 controller I found myself tapping the triggers with the shoulders when I wasn't trying to hit the triggers, so I don't particularly prefer it.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Least100Seraphs;4862188 said:
    I couldn't make it through a single song on default controls, thanks to the terrible 360 d-pad. I then tried Freakish but the bumpers just didn't feel right - in fast sections it was too cumbersome. The game also changed lanes on me a couple of times in this mode - perhaps an analog stick sensitivity/deadzone issue?
    Now I use my arcade stick (Hori Real Arcade Pro EX). It's almost perfect - unfortunately RB Blitz's lack of customisation prevents it from being perfect. Unless I'm mistaken, every layout leaves power-up activation on the X button. I'm actually tempted to open up my arcade stick and move the X button to the bottom left so that I can activate overdrive with my thumb.

I was sort of in the same boat, but the I tried typewriter on a standard gamepad. It's a lot like using a fightstick in that you're tapping the A/B buttons "arcade-style" but the overdrive can be activated comfortably with LB/LT (or the X, although I can't imagine why you would want to use it on this layout). Depending on the layout of your fightstick, that may work out okay on your fightstick too, but if it's anything like mine all of the overdrive buttons would be in extremely awkward spots. I find it comfortable enough using typewriter on the gamepad. It just took one song on it for me to decide it's what I would be sticking with.
  • BarridBarrid Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I wish there was one where you could move tracks with the sticks and play the notes with d-pad + button. But I've gotten used to Freakish and that works pretty well.
  • B3N1_HUB3N1_HU Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I started with default on the Xbox360, tried freakish too, but:
    -bumpers on my controller can't be really used for those quick solos
    -triggers are analog, it's harder to time the hits with them
    so I ended up with the default, once u get used to it It's really nice switching with the shoulder buttons like in unplugged and my thumbs also don't get tired after a long session. I have an Aberdeen controller with the better 'turnable' D-pad.
  • ElMarshalElMarshal Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Typewriter with an arcade stick.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I'm loving "Shoulders."
    Everything about that control scheme just feels right. Like that's how it's supposed to be. No sticks, no nonsense.
    Plus, the 360 bumpers can take quite a pounding if you're like me and find yourself getting a little too into the music. *bangs controller on furniture to the beat of Shout*
  • Tommy GunTommy Gun Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I'm using Freakish, and switch tracks with the left analog -- I'd prefer the d-pad, but the Xbox d-pad sucks. The analog stick isn't actually so bad, since you don't really want to switch tracks super fast or you'll miss notes. "Shoulders" is tempting, though.
  • nytemunkeynytemunkey Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Freakish. Coming from an FPS background, rapid, well timed trigger pulling is second nature. Shoulders seems interesting, but I don't like the idea of either A. Using one finger and taking it off the bumpers to go to triggers. or 2. Using one finger for the bumper and one for the triggers. seems awkward.

And IMO if you are using typewriter on a standard controller, you're doing it wrong.

The only downside I can find to using triggers is that the press on the 360 controller is very long. But so far that hasn't been an issue. My issues so far are all user error lol.
  • A_Drunken_SmurfA_Drunken_Smurf Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    When I started, I was using Freakish. I found it made the most sense for my playstyle at the time. However, I slowly started realizing the value of the Default option when I started playing harder songs with very fast notes on the same side - usually found in drum and guitar parts. That, and long sessions starting making using the triggers uncomfortable.

So I forced myself to unlearn Freakish, and use Default. I can now say I greatly prefer being able to flick the thumbstick RLR for fast triples on one side instead of trying to mash the trigger 3 times in a row. After some practice, it becomes very natural to use the sticks for me.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    I am now using a fightstick and typewriter. This is how you should play the game.
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Freakish is the only one I can do anything with, but it has it's drawbacks for me. My fingers start to hurt after while, and I can't seem to do RLLR type strings fast enough, using either the triggers or bumpers (Xbox360).
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I thought Freakish was going to be the one, but I was struggling to 4* with it. I changed to Shoulders and changing lanes with the triggers instead of the pad or stick seems to come much more naturally to me.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I'm "Freakish", but I haven't yet tried the others (except the default which I hated immediately). I think Doc is right that the PS3 controller is probably the better of the two controllers for Blitz. The 360's triggers are ok but they aren't as responsive (for me, at least) as the bumpers especially during very fast note sections; and unfortunately the bumpers aren't as comfortable for my hands as the triggers are. If I had my way we would be able to map the controller ourselves. I'd have it use the left analog to switch tracks and I'd use the left trigger and "B" button for note playing with the right trigger for "OD" activation.
  • edited September 2012
    I can now say that I prefer default.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4869868 said:
    I can now say that I prefer default.

You guys are crazy
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I have only tried default.

My biggest issue is on drums when L R is playing simultaneously.

I almost always miss or break combo.

I definitely need to try the other modes (x360) and re-calibrating wouldn't hurt either.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I play Freakish with my Dual Shock 3 controller (which is most of the time), but when I switch to my Fight Stick I go to Typewriter.
  • suprehombresuprehombre Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I've been using default on the 360. I don't use the analog though because of the time it takes to register center to go back and hit a note. I've been doing fine with dpad and a button.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I just tried Freakish and kept messing up. I think I'm too invested in the default now, it would take as many as 10 songs of being terrible again to get used to a different setup. Sorry, thumbs!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4870665 said:
    I play Freakish with my Dual Shock 3 controller (which is most of the time), but when I switch to my Fight Stick I go to Typewriter.
    I've now changed how I play with the Fight Stick entirely, and I don't use the 'stick' at all anymore. I use the Shoulders config and play it like bongos - my fingertips on the L1 and R1 buttons, which puts my thumbs over the L2 and R2 buttons which I use for lane changes. And powerup is the button just to the right of my left bongo.

( L1 ) ( S ) ( T. ) ( R1 )
    ( L2 ) ( X ) ( O ) ( R2 )
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I use Default IMO. Able to get a ton of good high score GS runs on Metal songs using Default on the Dual Shock 3 controller. Best scheme for using power ups and thumbs are stronger for hitting notes for awhile.

i play on PS3 though so I don't really have the d-pad problem that 360 players do
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    zage1337;4876581 said:
    I use Default IMO. Able to get a ton of good high score GS runs on Metal songs using Default on the Dual Shock 3 controller. Best scheme for using power ups and thumbs are stronger for hitting notes for awhile.

i play on PS3 though so I don't really have the d-pad problem that 360 players do
    Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead using the 360 controller for anything that requires a decent D-pad. That D-pad is worthless. I've even resorted to using a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller on my gaming PC.

I've been using nothing but default (also on PS3.) I kicked around the idea of trying other schemes, but I never played Frequency/Amplitude (for shame, I know) or RB Unplugged or anything like that so I didn't have any residual muscle memory to overcome. It didn't take long before the controls became second nature and if I switched now it would take me way too long to "untrain" myself.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Freakish for most songs, Default for over the top so fast I can't possibly hit that without some thumbs in the mix songs.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Update:

Like many others, I find "Freakish" to be comfortable and easy to time.

As far as switching tracks, either thumbstick works. I don't really have a priority. Just whichever one I hit first.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4862151 said:

Standard.

PS3 controller is WAY better than the XBOX 360. Considerably more comfortable.

This.