2012 NFL / College Football Seasons

HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
edited December 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Packers appear to be the favorite but Giants didn't appear to get any worse. Nobody in the AFC can really challenge the top four or five (Saints, 49ers, Lions) in the NFC this year unless you're a biased Steelers/Patriots fan. Five rookie quarterbacks are starting the season. Dolphins will really aim for the top pick this year now that they don't have to worry about drafting Luck. I follow a joke of an organization

SEC will probably win again and Texas A&M will probably get mopped in their new home. Bama sucks, War Eagle. I understand a couple teams out west and in the Big 10 think they're hot stuff

sports

Comments

• BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited August 2012
    Ha! TAMU Aggies... They self disciplined 2 starting players this summer for an unspecified violation of team rules. The punishment you ask? They have to sit out the first game of the season. BUT WAIT! That was SUPPOSED TO BE against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. Of course that game's been postponed due to Isaac, soooo they'll just sit out the season's first game the following week, no? Against...wait, who? The Florida Gators? Oh no, no, no... the Aggies changed the punishment to whenever they end up playing the Bulldogs. That'll teach them!
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Don't get me started on Texas A&M. Whinny arse school that tried to sue the Seattle Seahawks for using the term "12th man" in 2005 during their super bowl run, despite the fact that the Seahawks have used that term since the retired the number 12 in honor of the fans back in the early 80's. I'll be glad if Texas A&M loses every game.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    My Spartans are about to destroy Boise State tomorrow. Our defense is fearsome. I expect us to compete for a BCS bowl and the conference championship again, and of course, beat Michigan again. The B1G championship goes through either East Lansing or Madison this year, count on it.

The Lions have Megatron and Stafford, so they should get 9-10 wins easy, maybe more.
    edited August 2012
    Cubecubed;4863619 said:
    The B1G championship goes through either East Lansing or Madison this year, count on it.
    It pretty much has been those two teams the past couple of seasons. I would expect it to continue being the case at least this season also.
    The Lions have Megatron and Stafford, so they should get 9-10 wins easy, maybe more.

They do this as long as both are healthy.
    edited September 2012
    LeVeon Bell, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2012
    Giants fan reporting in.
    edited September 2012
    Yup, Michigan isn't the number 8 team in the country.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I could have told you that before the game started.
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4865453 said:
    Yup, Michigan isn't the number 8 team in the country.

Michigan Coach after the game: "Alabama was who we thought they were"
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    Auburn lost so everything sucks
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4865738 said:
    Auburn lost so everything sucks

Time to buy us another quarterback.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    JBlack240;4862634 said:
    Bama is terribly overrated and USC will win the National Championship over Florida State.
    Calling any team overrated and then predicting a NC for USC is amusing. They'd probably beat FSU, but I doubt either of those teams goes 13-0.

Feel free to keep calling us overrated, though. I'll enjoy re-reading it once we hammer Auburn again in November.

Disappointed not to see any posts from Flood. But we beat down another Big Ten team and Auburn lost, so whatever.
    edited September 2012
    It sucks that people are discrediting the Big Ten because Michigan got stomped. They are at best the 4th best team in the conference.
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4866623 said:
    It sucks that people are discrediting the Big Ten because Michigan got stomped. They are at best the 4th best team in the conference.
    At this point, Michigan may be the third or forth best college football team in Michigan...

...or at least they usually play like that to open the college football season. The 2007 season they got beat by Appalachian State in the opener is a textbook example of this.

Either way, Michigan State and Wisconsin are the cream of the crop in the Big Ten this season (Ohio State might be in the running but they're not bowl eligible this year so it wouldn't really count.)
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4862447 said:
    Nobody in the AFC can really challenge the top four or five (Saints, 49ers, Lions) in the NFC this year unless you're a biased Steelers/Patriots fan.
    The Bears are a better team than the Lions, who are still young, injured, and are having trouble staying out of jail. And yes, I'm a Bears fan, but I still see them with a better record than the Lions. The Lions could be the 2nd Wildcard after the Bears, but I think either Seattle (who could surprise folks), Atlanta/New Orleans (whoever doesn't win that division) or Philly could also jump up and snag it.

Of course, with GB being the top team, and NYG, SF, and NO/ATL win their divisions.
    edited September 2012
    The Bears have Brandon Marshall and as such I cannot take them seriously
    edited September 2012
    The Bears are stoppable, especially with an injury to Jay Cutler like last season.
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4867258 said:
    The Bears are stoppable, especially with an injury to Jay Cutler like last season.
    The Packers are stoppable, especially with an injury to Rodgers.

You could stay that for 10 other teams. Cutler has been generally healthy in his career, and it was a bone injury, not a soft tissue injury. But most teams are an injury or two away from going from good to mediocre.
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4866701 said:
    The Bears are a better team than the Lions, who are still young, injured, and are having trouble staying out of jail. And yes, I'm a Bears fan, but I still see them with a better record than the Lions. The Lions could be the 2nd Wildcard after the Bears, but I think either Seattle (who could surprise folks), Atlanta/New Orleans (whoever doesn't win that division) or Philly could also jump up and snag it.

LolJayCutler. The Lions are a better team than the Bears, even with all their issues. That's how good Stafford and Megatron are.
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4867361 said:
    LolJayCutler. The Lions are a better team than the Bears, even with all their issues. That's how good Stafford and Megatron are.
    Who's going to run the ball?

Also the Bears D is better, and I don't trust Detroit's Maturity.

Besides, Stafford has made it though how many seasons uninjured?
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4867364 said:

Running the ball is pretty much becoming obsolete in the NFL so they could just throw anybody out there.
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4867364 said:

Also the Bears D is better, and I don't trust Detroit's Maturity.

Besides, Stafford has made it though how many seasons uninjured?

unless you count non throwing hand finger injuries, 2. Yeah, you don't need to run the ball when you can pass, even with everybody knowing you're gonna pass, and still do well. Having the most physically gifted receiver in perhaps 25 years will do that for you, in addition to having a QB with easily the strongest arm in the NFL.
    edited September 2012
    I'd consider Terrell Owens to be more physically gifted than Calvin, but not by much
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4867360 said:
    The Packers are stoppable, especially with an injury to Rodgers.

You could stay that for 10 other teams. Cutler has been generally healthy in his career, and it was a bone injury, not a soft tissue injury. But most teams are an injury or two away from going from good to mediocre.

Everyone know the Packers are stoppable when their receivers have an off day (like last year's playoff game against the Giants or that regular season game against the Chiefs). And on top of that, opponents can pass the ball on the Packers easily as long as it's away from Charles Woodson.
    Bront20;4867364 said:
    Teams with good running backs. Teams up by multiple TDs in with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Teams with horrible QBs.
    JBlack240;4867500 said:
    Running the ball is pretty much becoming obsolete in the NFL so they could just throw anybody out there.
    It may not be in favor what with the way the passing game is these days but it's not like it's going to be no running plays like Arena Football.
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4867956 said:
    I'd consider Terrell Owens to be more physically gifted than Calvin, but not by much
    That's where the mental game comes in. I'm not sure I agree, but I can't say it's not an unreasonable assumption.
    Cubecubed;4867671 said:
    unless you count non throwing hand finger injuries, 2.
    What the injury is doesn't matter, the fact is he missed time in 2 different seasons (out of 3 he's played in).
    Cubecubed;4867671 said:
    Yeah, you don't need to run the ball when you can pass, even with everybody knowing you're gonna pass, and still do well. Having the most physically gifted receiver in perhaps 25 years will do that for you, in addition to having a QB with easily the strongest arm in the NFL.
    There are plenty of folks who have the arm Stafford has (Cutler has a great arm for example). And the Packers lost in the playoffs when their passing game got shut down, they couldn't do anything else on the ground either. You still need to be able to do both. See the Patriots as an example.
    darkwinterbeast8;4868200 said:
    Teams with good running backs. Teams up by multiple TDs in with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Teams with horrible QBs.
    I was talking about Detroit specifically.
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4868346 said:

Kevin Smith seems to be the candidate. He had some pretty good games last year before he got hurt, so he'll probably do just fine, at least to the extent that we need him. Not every team needs a Ray Rice. The Giants were near the bottom of the league in rushing last year, and they won the whole damn thing.

Plenty of people may have the arm Stafford has, but his deep ball accuracy borders on astounding. Accuracy is one area where Cutler has serious issues.
    edited September 2012
    Speaking of serious issues, one of my fantasy teams is screwed already and only one game has been played in week one.
    Bront20;4868346 said:
    Detroit hasn't had a good running back since Barry Sanders retired.
    Cubecubed;4868596 said:
    Not every team needs a Ray Rice.
    A Marshawn Lynch type of running back would be enough for the Lions with Stafford and Megatron.
    Plenty of people may have the arm Stafford has, but his deep ball accuracy borders on astounding. Accuracy is one area where Cutler has serious issues.
    Cutler also has questions regarding maturity and toughness. The way he left Denver and the way he cried on the bench in the NFC Championshp Game against the Packers in January 2011 are a few examples.
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4869107 said:
    Cutler also has questions regarding maturity and toughness. The way he left Denver and the way he cried on the bench in the NFC Championshp Game against the Packers in January 2011 are a few examples.
    Cutler's been sacked more times since he's been in Chicago than any other QB (or he's at least in the top 3), so I don't question his toughness. His injury in that game was pretty severe, and is possibly the only reason the Bears lost that game, and way too much was made over the fact that he could walk on the sidelines (Walking wasn't the issue, he couldn't turn on it at all).

I'm excited to see what he can do this year. No Martz, good weapons at the RB and WR position, and he's healthy. He can be accurate, and has an amazing arm, and I'm curious how consistent he can be when he's got the right people around him.

Ultimately, I trust him better than I trust Detroit, at least this year. Maybe it's me being a fanboy, but I at least have some logic to my thought.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited September 2012
    Cowboys - Giants....Impressions? Murray for real? Giants sandbagging til the end of the season?
    edited September 2012
    It was not an entertaining game

Cowboys won't keep that offense up and Giants will continue to play poorly until they sneak into the playoffs. Both appear to be playoff teams, though