2012 NFL / College Football Seasons

HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
edited December 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Packers appear to be the favorite but Giants didn't appear to get any worse. Nobody in the AFC can really challenge the top four or five (Saints, 49ers, Lions) in the NFC this year unless you're a biased Steelers/Patriots fan. Five rookie quarterbacks are starting the season. Dolphins will really aim for the top pick this year now that they don't have to worry about drafting Luck. I follow a joke of an organization

SEC will probably win again and Texas A&M will probably get mopped in their new home. Bama sucks, War Eagle. I understand a couple teams out west and in the Big 10 think they're hot stuff

sports

Comments

• CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4867364 said:
    Who's going to run the ball?

Also the Bears D is better, and I don't trust Detroit's Maturity.

Besides, Stafford has made it though how many seasons uninjured?

unless you count non throwing hand finger injuries, 2. Yeah, you don't need to run the ball when you can pass, even with everybody knowing you're gonna pass, and still do well. Having the most physically gifted receiver in perhaps 25 years will do that for you, in addition to having a QB with easily the strongest arm in the NFL.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    I'd consider Terrell Owens to be more physically gifted than Calvin, but not by much
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4867360 said:
    The Packers are stoppable, especially with an injury to Rodgers.

You could stay that for 10 other teams. Cutler has been generally healthy in his career, and it was a bone injury, not a soft tissue injury. But most teams are an injury or two away from going from good to mediocre.

Everyone know the Packers are stoppable when their receivers have an off day (like last year's playoff game against the Giants or that regular season game against the Chiefs). And on top of that, opponents can pass the ball on the Packers easily as long as it's away from Charles Woodson.
    Bront20;4867364 said:
    Who's going to run the ball?
    Teams with good running backs. Teams up by multiple TDs in with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Teams with horrible QBs.
    JBlack240;4867500 said:
    Running the ball is pretty much becoming obsolete in the NFL so they could just throw anybody out there.
    It may not be in favor what with the way the passing game is these days but it's not like it's going to be no running plays like Arena Football.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4867956 said:
    I'd consider Terrell Owens to be more physically gifted than Calvin, but not by much
    That's where the mental game comes in. I'm not sure I agree, but I can't say it's not an unreasonable assumption.
    Cubecubed;4867671 said:
    unless you count non throwing hand finger injuries, 2.
    What the injury is doesn't matter, the fact is he missed time in 2 different seasons (out of 3 he's played in).
    Cubecubed;4867671 said:
    Yeah, you don't need to run the ball when you can pass, even with everybody knowing you're gonna pass, and still do well. Having the most physically gifted receiver in perhaps 25 years will do that for you, in addition to having a QB with easily the strongest arm in the NFL.
    There are plenty of folks who have the arm Stafford has (Cutler has a great arm for example). And the Packers lost in the playoffs when their passing game got shut down, they couldn't do anything else on the ground either. You still need to be able to do both. See the Patriots as an example.
    darkwinterbeast8;4868200 said:
    Teams with good running backs. Teams up by multiple TDs in with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Teams with horrible QBs.
    I was talking about Detroit specifically.
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4868346 said:

Kevin Smith seems to be the candidate. He had some pretty good games last year before he got hurt, so he'll probably do just fine, at least to the extent that we need him. Not every team needs a Ray Rice. The Giants were near the bottom of the league in rushing last year, and they won the whole damn thing.

Plenty of people may have the arm Stafford has, but his deep ball accuracy borders on astounding. Accuracy is one area where Cutler has serious issues.
    edited September 2012
    Speaking of serious issues, one of my fantasy teams is screwed already and only one game has been played in week one.
    Bront20;4868346 said:
    Detroit hasn't had a good running back since Barry Sanders retired.
    Cubecubed;4868596 said:
    Not every team needs a Ray Rice.
    A Marshawn Lynch type of running back would be enough for the Lions with Stafford and Megatron.
    Plenty of people may have the arm Stafford has, but his deep ball accuracy borders on astounding. Accuracy is one area where Cutler has serious issues.
    Cutler also has questions regarding maturity and toughness. The way he left Denver and the way he cried on the bench in the NFC Championshp Game against the Packers in January 2011 are a few examples.
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4869107 said:
    Cutler also has questions regarding maturity and toughness. The way he left Denver and the way he cried on the bench in the NFC Championshp Game against the Packers in January 2011 are a few examples.
    Cutler's been sacked more times since he's been in Chicago than any other QB (or he's at least in the top 3), so I don't question his toughness. His injury in that game was pretty severe, and is possibly the only reason the Bears lost that game, and way too much was made over the fact that he could walk on the sidelines (Walking wasn't the issue, he couldn't turn on it at all).

I'm excited to see what he can do this year. No Martz, good weapons at the RB and WR position, and he's healthy. He can be accurate, and has an amazing arm, and I'm curious how consistent he can be when he's got the right people around him.

Ultimately, I trust him better than I trust Detroit, at least this year. Maybe it's me being a fanboy, but I at least have some logic to my thought.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited September 2012
    Cowboys - Giants....Impressions? Murray for real? Giants sandbagging til the end of the season?
    edited September 2012
    It was not an entertaining game

Cowboys won't keep that offense up and Giants will continue to play poorly until they sneak into the playoffs. Both appear to be playoff teams, though
    edited September 2012
    Eli Manning's pitiful performance in that game may lead me to lose to a team in my fantasy league that drafted Colt McCoy as their top pick.

Also, Art Modell is dead. His friends and family as well as Ravens fans can mourn. Browns fans however can defecate on his grave after his funeral due to what he did to Cleveland.
    edited September 2012
    Dadasaurus Rex;4869296 said:
    Cowboys - Giants....Impressions? Murray for real? Giants sandbagging til the end of the season?
    Murray was for real last year. The question is if he can stay healthy.

The Giants didn't get great play from any of their stars, and that will kill you. Their DBs suck, but they did last year and they won. If their pass rush gets better, it will be less of an issue.
    edited September 2012
    I actually picked the Cowboys before the season to win the NFC east, so yeah, I think they're for real.

The rest of my picks, for those who care:

NFC North: Green Bay
    NFC South: Atlanta
    NFC East: Dallas
    NFC West: San Francisco

Wild Cards: Philadelphia and Detroit

NFC Championship Game: Green Bay over Dallas

AFC North: Baltimore
    AFC South: Houston
    AFC East: New England
    AFC West: Denver

Wild Cards: Buffalo (Yup) and Pittsburgh

AFC Championship Game: Baltimore over New England

Super Bowl: Baltimore over Green Bay 28-24
    edited September 2012
    My Picks:

NFC North: Green Bay
    NFC South: Carolina
    NFC East: New York Giants
    NFC West: Seattle

Wild Cards: San Francisco and New Orleans

NFC Championship Game: Green Bay over Seattle

AFC North: Baltimore
    AFC South: Houston
    AFC East: Buffalo
    AFC West: Denver

Wild Cards: New England and Tennessee

AFC Championship Game: Houston over Buffalo

Super Bowl: Green Bay over Houston
    BachiG;4871368 said:

Par for the course with that lame school.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    All right! Time for the 2nd half Aggies team to take the field.

Edit: SEC opponents, take note: trailing at halftime to Texas A&M is rarely cause for concern. Choking knows no conference boundaries.
    edited September 2012
    So, is Nebraska now the De Facto 2nd best team in the Big Ten? Because I'm not too sure about Wisconsin anymore.
    edited September 2012
    Auburn lost so everything sucks. Toomer's Tree is looking awful, no green on it, most of the branches are cut. They're gonna have to uproot it soon, I can tell

Numerous reports say the plan is to bring in a tree that was grown from a seed dropped from the Toomer Tree, so the legacy will remain related by blood. That's cool

Too bad we haven't got a chance to TP the poor thing this year
    BachiG;4871368 said:
    Between this, their suspension of two player for their first game and then changing that to suspension against UL-Monroe to avoide having suspended players against Florida, and finally choking against Florida, I can already see that A&M is making a great impression in their new conference
    Cubecubed;4872185 said:
    So, is Nebraska now the De Facto 2nd best team in the Big Ten? Because I'm not too sure about Wisconsin anymore.

It's Michigan State's conference to lose, and if they lose any games this year it's going to be a horribly disappointing year for the Big 10

Also, unrelated - a sad story, and an awesome story
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4872185 said:

I'd say they're the distant number 2.

Wisconsin was horrible this week. Between them being atrocious and the Seattle Seahawks looking like the '76 Buccaneers against Kevin "I get paid $60 Million to suck" Kolb and Arizona; My weekend of football has been putrid.

To add insult to injury, one of my fantasy football teams lost to a team that kept Colt McCoy as a keeper and drafted a kicker with their first pick. It's safe to say I'm not winning a game in that league this year.
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    edited September 2012
    And once again, the Green Bay Packers defense make Jay Cutler cry.

It's a shame that the only fantasy league I have them in is the one that I won't win a game all season in. Oh well, at least Jay Cutler was once again proven to be the horrible QB everyone who isn't Bears fans thought he was.
    edited September 2012
    I can't tell you how smug my roommate was last Sunday after I told him several times it was a terrible decision to draft Brandon Marshall. All he could tell me tonight was shut up
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4877477 said:
    And once again, the Green Bay Packers defense make Jay Cutler cry.

It's a shame that the only fantasy league I have them in is the one that I won't win a game all season in. Oh well, at least Jay Cutler was once again proven to be the horrible QB everyone who isn't Bears fans thought he was.
    Cutler isn't the best QB ever, but he's still the best QB the Bears have ever had. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Eric Kramer holds several single season QB records for the Bears. Red Grange is probably the best QB the team ever had, but that's not exactly very modern. If Culter had his entire career as a Bear, he'd own most QB records already.

Is he elite? no. Is he good? Yes. Is he flawed? Yes.

Also, his o-line let him down. Green Bay basically wouldn't let him get settled and flustered him, and his receivers didn't do him any favors either. The Bears D did a phenomenal job of keeping the game in reach.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4877516 said:
    Also, his o-line let him down. Green Bay basically wouldn't let him get settled and flustered him, and his receivers didn't do him any favors either. The Bears D did a phenomenal job of keeping the game in reach.

Yeah we haven't heard that before.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    What.

I know it's high school football and whatever, but that's absurd.
    edited September 2012
    SIGH. I hate Notre Dame.. SO much.
  • boodeanboodean Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4879528 said:
    SIGH. I hate Notre Dame.. SO much.

ME TOO i sure my WOLVERINES go in to South Bend and beat them so thay get off there high horse and all there fans shut the hell up !!!!!!!!!GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    You guys, is this funny?

While I'm not sure why I opened it at all, I was just left with a colossal 'huh?' after reading it. Is there some football knowledge I needed to get it?
    edited September 2012
    JBlack240;4877740 said:
    Yeah we haven't heard that before.
    watch the game. The only reason he ever had time was uncalled holding penalties. The Bears O-line is bad, really bad, and I knew that pre-season.

Jay didn't do himself any favors, and he was bad, but it wasn't all him. When he did do something, others let him down as well. It was bad all around for the Bears O.
    edited September 2012
    boodean;4879634 said:
    ME TOO i sure my WOLVERINES go in to South Bend and beat them so thay get off there high horse and all there fans shut the hell up !!!!!!!!!GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it, but you guys are going to get slaughtered. Notre Dame is very good this year, and the only reason it wasn't worse for us is how good our Defense is.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Fly Eagles Fly
    On the road to victory
    Fly Eagles Fly
    Score a touchdown
    Hit'em low
    Hit'em high
    And watch our eagles fly
    Fly Eagles Fly
    On the road to victory
    E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SheSaidSheSaid;4879686 said:
    You guys, is this funny?

While I'm not sure why I opened it at all, I was just left with a colossal 'huh?' after reading it. Is there some football knowledge I needed to get it?

...and no, that's not funny, at all.