2012 NFL / College Football Seasons

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4880338 said:
    I believe this guy is the best QB the Bears have ever had. Of coarse one wouldn't think that with his pedestrian stats, especially looking back from the era of 3 5000 passers last season but leading a team to 4 championships does stand out.
    True, I did forget him. Not that it helps.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    The 49ers look virtually unstoppable. If Ted Ginn plays (or Kyle Williams doesn't suck), they're probably Super Bowl champions. I don't know why they aren't the favorites, especially after flat-out dominating the Packers at Lambeau.
    Cubecubed;4879744 said:
    I hate to say it, but you guys are going to get slaughtered. Notre Dame is very good this year, and the only reason it wasn't worse for us is how good our Defense is.
    It's going to take a lot more than that to convince me that Notre Dame is very good. Like maybe beating Purdue by more than a last-second FG. They're not that good. The Big Ten just sucks this year. A lot. Wisconsin is an absolute joke and Ball probably regrets coming back already.

Michigan State is the only legit team in that conference and it's clear Maxwell is not going to take them very far. Thanks for beating Boise, though.

USC is who I thought they were. Soft up front on both sides of the ball led by a QB whose draft rating is based on upside rather than production. Don't get the Barkley for Heisman talk. Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson look much better.

With USC out of the picture and probably staring at two forthcoming losses to Oregon, FSU will lose to a couple teams they shouldn't, Notre Dame will lose to the California schools (and probably Oklahoma), and before you know it, the Oregon media love affair will be in full motion. The difference being that Oregon may actually deserve it.
    edited September 2012
    macamatic;4883048 said:
    The 49ers look virtually unstoppable. If Ted Ginn plays (or Kyle Williams doesn't suck), they're probably Super Bowl champions. I don't know why they aren't the favorites, especially after flat-out dominating the Packers at Lambeau.
    1 game in the regular season does not a champion make. They're good, but I think they just haven't had their flaws exposed yet. I think Houston is better as a team, with a little more explosion no offense and defense.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    macamatic;4883048 said:

It's going to take a lot more than that to convince me that Notre Dame is very good. Like maybe beating Purdue by more than a last-second FG. They're not that good. The Big Ten just sucks this year. A lot. Wisconsin is an absolute joke and Ball probably regrets coming back already.

Michigan State is the only legit team in that conference and it's clear Maxwell is not going to take them very far. Thanks for beating Boise, though.

The Loss of a ton of talented WR's and TE's is almost as much to blame as losing Cousins, to be honest. There were so many dropped catches.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I wonder when teams will learn to respect the Giants. First it was Green Bay players claiming that their playoff loss last year was because they lost the game, not that the Giants played well. today, it's Cam Newton saying the same bull****.
  • SoundsofMusicSoundsofMusic Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    The Eagles. *Sigh* I told myself I wouldn't watch the Eagles all that much. Reason being, is because the Eagles have been a joke lately. Looks amazing on paper, but awful on the field. Our first two games, we've apparently played awful forty-three minutes in the game, but amazing last two minutes. Come back team so far, yes.

And Michigan... I'm a Michigan fan for college football, and yes... The Big 10 is a joke this year, but going to support those Wolverines. Let's see how the Dame/Michigan game goes today.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    macamatic;4883048 said:

I think you cleared the conclusions mat completely on that jump. Texans, Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, and Falcons have looked more dominant than the 49ers as of two weeks into the season
  • boodeanboodean Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Going to a Norte Dame/Michigan tailgate party 6 miles from field hope i survive wish me luck lol lol

GOOOOO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SoundsofMusicSoundsofMusic Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I love the man above me. <3
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    looks like the Eagles turnovers finally are catching up with them
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Dante1847;4886407 said:
    looks like the Eagles turnovers finally are catching up with them

Yep. I didn't see one snap of the game, only the final score... So how bad was it?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Did you football freaks see this? Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans gets part of his ear torn off after a hit.

Aaaaaaand I'm guessing he just went straight back into the game :(
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4886447 said:
    Did you football freaks see this? Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans gets part of his ear torn off after a hit.

Aaaaaaand I'm guessing he just went straight back into the game :(

Yup! He got clocked pretty good. And yeah, he went back in after missing one play...I mean, he only lost part of his ear. You can play with half an ear. :D
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Schaub is old school like that, much like Ronnie Lott who removed a broken finger to go back in the game instead of being out 15 weeks.

As for the severed ear, chances are it'll be auctioned on eBay with Mike Tyson winning it. After all, a psycho's gotta eat.
    edited September 2012
    So it's okay with you guys that he took a hit vicious enough to knock his helmet off and take part of his ear with it, and just went back in like nothing happened? He could have been concussed right then and there.

This is why I don't get football.
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4886498 said:
    Schaub is old school like that, much like Ronnie Lott who removed a broken finger to go back in the game instead of being out 15 weeks.

I remember that, talk about crazy. This also reminds me of when Duncan Keith of the Blackhawks lost 7 teeth during that one playoff game and kept playing. And reading this article about it, looks like Stan Mikita had his earlobe reattached during a game one time.

I'm sure you could find tons of stories about this stuff. Pro athletes are hardcore.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4886518 said:
    So it's okay with you guys that he took a hit vicious enough to knock his helmet off and take part of his ear with it, and just went back in like nothing happened? He could have been concussed right then and there.

This is why I don't get football.

The answer you're looking for is....no? :p

I don't suppose I get your point. Should I feel sorry for the guy who voluntarily plays a game (and gets very well compensated for it) where he knows at any point in time he can get his head knocked off? Guys take vicious hits all the time, it's the nature of the sport. In fact, playing the QB position for most of his life, he's conditioned to taking hits like that; definitely more so than any of us.

As I said above, Duncan Keith had 7 teeth knocked out by a puck, went and had a little dental work done during the 2nd intermission, and came back to play the 3rd period. Guys take shots in various sports and come back to play, so I don't see what's so special about this situation. It's Schaub's life, he can do as he wants with it; and if he says he's ok to play and doctors check him out and clear him of a concussion (see below), then let him play.

As far as being concussed, since it's a huge deal in the media nowadays, the NFL and its teams have strict policies and procedures in place to detect and pull players from the game if there is any sign of a concussion. Whether teams follow this is up for debate, especially since the replacement refs aren't trained to tell when a player is concussed or not, but there are rules in place to prevent such a thing from happening.

So I guess, yep, I'm ok with it. I suppose if you don't get football, then you don't get hockey or rugby, which are essentially games of the same vein. If you really boil it down, a lot of major sports carry risk for injury, and the athletes who attain a professional level are hardwired to play through whatever injuries they sustain until their bodies just can't handle it anymore.

I think a better question would be: Is it the coach's or owner's responsibility to look out for the well being of a player? Who makes the judgement call: the doctor, player, coach, or ref? Is it a combination of all four? To what end do you protect them?

If you think this situation is weird, the 70s era of football must completely flabbergast you. XD
    edited September 2012
    If he was concussed they would have confirmed it on the sidelines when he came off the field with a head injury as they do with all players nowadays
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    NFLOL... is a mess right now.

Strangest ending to game I can remember ever seeing, and having replacement refs (while maybe it didn't matter to how the game ended pending your perspective) certainly didn't help.
    edited September 2012
    The difference is that the scab refs' horrible calls help the Seahawks where as the regular refs usually screw the Seahawks over.

Horrid officiating aside, how about the way that Seattle Seahawks defense shut down the Packers high octane offense. 8 sacks on Aaron Rodgers in one half is insane.
    edited September 2012
    I just find it amusing that all I hear is complaints about the officiating and yet ratings are sky high. Part of me is hoping the refs stay locked out just so I can see if people will stop watching. I always felt that the NFL had a strong enough fan base to draw in viewers through anything; maybe that will be put to the test by weeks 14 and 15.

One thing's for certain: the NFL refs' leverage is at its highest point right now. Two horribly called games in a row on prime time television ending on controversial calls, yikes.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

They'll be putting asterisks next to this season, you watch.
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4886723 said:
    If he was concussed they would have confirmed it on the sidelines when he came off the field with a head injury as they do with all players nowadays

Not sure what the NFL doctors have done to inspire your faith in them, but ok.
    edited September 2012
    Well I'm going to assume there is a difference between 'he's functioning fine, let him go back out if he's ready,' and 'this guy can't count my fingers, speak, or stand up, he probably has a concussion'

Also, to the botched call at the end of the game...none of this would've happened if the defender just took Tom Jackson's advice and KNOCK IT DOWN!
    edited September 2012
    I'm always amazed when a defensive player doesn't automatically try to knock the ball way out of bounds, or at least straight to the ground, on those plays. You don't need the INT, and especially with replacement refs, anything can happen if the ball is live.

Seattle did a heck of a job against the GB offense, though. 12 points where 10 of them were (supposedly) aided by bad refereeing. Well done, Seattle.
    edited September 2012
    Someone was telling me that NFL DBs are now taught to go up for the interception rather than try to knock it down since knocking it down has a possibility to go straight to a receiver, but I'm not convinced
    edited September 2012
    That would make two of us. I sort of see where you could knock the ball to a receiver waiting for it, but since most of those plays occur in the end zone, I don't see how you can't just hit the ball the 5-8 yards you'll need to knock it out of the end zone.

What would be great is seeing a DB go up and punch the ball out like a soccer goalie blocking a high corner shot.
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Huge game for my Red Raiders this weekend in Ames, Iowa. Time to see if our cupcake dominance so far this year is real life, or just fantasy.
    edited September 2012
    What I don't understand is why the DB doesn't just swat the ball out of bounds in those Hail Mary situations. That way, even if the opposing WR catches it, he's doing so in that white area and it doesn't count as a TD.
    edited September 2012
    Looks like we might get the real refs this weekend.
    edited September 2012
    Yippy!!! Looks like the Seahawks will lose out as a result.