NFL / College Football Seasons

Comments

• Donnel Pumphrey from San Diego State is the new career rushing record holder for the NCAA. :)
  • david Johnson is the new nfl record holder for most consecutive 100 yard games (14)
  • David Johnson looks like the second coming of Marshall Faulk. Now if they can find a grocery bagger to be their MVP QB they'll be dangerous on offense. They have a Defense and a running game set.

Donnel Pumphrey from San Diego State is the new career rushing record holder for the NCAA. :)

Now what will Ron Dayne have to fall back on? ;)
  • Talk about a brutal week 16. Both Carr and Marriota got season ending leg injuries.
  • when you play a sport as physical as this injuries are part of the game. like the saying goes, your team is only as good as your 53rd man
  • Conference Championship games are set with GB-ATL and PIT-NE. Hopefully Green Bay can do what the worst team in the playoffs couldn't do last week, make Matt Ryan look like the replacement level quarterback he actually is.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I think the last bastion of NFL fandom has been severed from my soul. I think I'll be disc golfing on Super Bowl Sunday.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    this year I am calling the super bowl the predictabowl it will end up being green bay and new England
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited January 27

I think the last bastion of NFL fandom has been severed from my soul. I think I'll be disc golfing on Super Bowl Sunday.

Sounds like a better Super Bowl Sunday than I'll have. Hard to Disc Golf in the middle of Wisconsin in February.

On a more serious note, Not sure why San Diego didn't sue for the right to keep the Chargers history and logos like Cleveland with the Browns; Seattle with the Sonics; or what Houston should've done with the Oilers. The Los Angeles Chargers sounds really stupid (even though there is some meager history with that name).

this year I am calling the super bowl the predictabowl it will end up being green bay and new England

If only that was the Super Bowl instead of Atlanta. New England is going to murder them. It could surpass the 55-10 49ers-Broncos Super Bowl for the most lobsided one in history. There is a small chance New England could do this to Atlanta on Super Bowl Sunday
    i don't know, Atlanta has played some of the best defenses and scored 40+ against them. this could be a shootout of epic proportions
  • Atlanta played a Green Bay team with a top 10 rushing defense and a terrible passing defense and a Seattle team without Earl Thomas trotting out Practice Squad caliber players in multiple parts of their atrocious secondary by the middle of that S*** fest of a game. In both of those playoff games Atlanta wasn't challenegd by the secondaries and as a result Julio Jones (the player that should be the MVP candidate on that team) and his fellow reciever that make catching absurd catches routine from the wobbly under thrown throws from Matt Ryan were having a field day.

Still surprised that Aaron Rodgers couldn't keep up on offense but gotta give credit to Atlanta's defense for stopping Green Bay enough (there was no way Seattle even had a chance in the divisional game even before they shot themselves in the foot with penalties and that safety).

Regardless, New England has Tom Brady as the QB, a solid defense in all levels, and health. Atlanta had the easiest path to the Super Bowl (Seattle had no business being in the playoffs much less in the division round and Green Bay's magic ran out). Their run at running up the score at will won't continue against a complete team that is healthy (Brady should be thanking Goodell for the 4 game suspension since he doesn't looked gassed like last year's playoffs.)

Sounds like a better Super Bowl Sunday than I'll have. Hard to Disc Golf in the middle of Wisconsin in February.

Christmas ribbon attached to the underside of the disc with Gorilla Tape.

i don't know, Atlanta has played some of the best defenses and scored 40+ against them. this could be a shootout of epic proportions

I would love for Atlanta to win, but their bottom-of-the-barrel defensive metrics across all categories is pretty worrisome.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    i think i'll take ATL and 3 points
  • Man did the ending to that Super Bowl feel bad. Atlanta played like they deserved to win... ...in the first half. Then the Matt Ryan who was who I thought the was (replacement level starter that is efficient when having elite receiving weapons) goofs up the game throughout the 2nd half.

On the flip side, the game was a lot closer than I thought it would be, though that doesn't change the feeling that it sucks for a cheater like Tom Brady to win (he is a great qb but he is also a cheater).
    Maybe it's my "I hate the Pats" filter, but that game seemed like two separate halves of bad football that ended up really close instead of being an exciting game.

I give ATL credit for sacking Brady and knocking him around in the first half and affecting him in pocket because of it, but the first half just seemed like the Pats playing terribly. I've never seen Tommy miss so many open throws or his receivers drop so many perfect passes.

Then in the second half the Pats made the throw and catches and the Falcons just got stupid. We have a lead so let's run the ball three times and punt, which was so predictable that the Pats loaded up against the run and made them punt. Nothing steller with that obvious defensive plan. Then ATL decides to finally go play-action of first down when their lead has shrunk to 8 points, but then the coaches go freaking brain dead from inside the 25 with 4 minutes left and an 8 point lead and go backwards instead of killing clock. Atlanta's defense was on the field so long by that point that the tying and winning drives by the Pats weren't even exciting, just inevitable against a super tired and worn down D.

I blame Atlanta's coaches for that loss, because the players made enough plays to have been up 11 with 3 and half minutes to go, and that my friends would have made for an exciting finish.
    the falcons could have won at the end of the third had they not had that holding penalty and just ran the football up the middle to kill the clock. all they needed was one field goal and they were on the 40 yard line.
  • True that Atlanta's coaches take a huge chunk of the blame for that choke job to lose the Super Bowl but some of the blame still falls on the terrible excecution of Matt Ryan on the offense. Matt Ryan passing (or attempting to and failing) while they have a lead only to then get sacked or fumble the ball giving the Patriots excellent field position was terrible game management by a qb that seems more like a modern day Phil Simms than an actual elite QB that many people claim that he is. Hopefully Matt Ryan as an announcer after his career is over isn't anywhere near as annoying as Phil Simms is as an announcer if the similarities continue.

Either way, with Free Agency set to begin soon, all fans of the 31 other teams for maybe a few minutes can dream of winning next year's Super Bowl.
  • I liked most of the moves that the Seattle Seahawks have done so far this off season but I'm not a fan of them giving 8 million for the 1 year rental of draft bust Luke Joeckel. They already have terrible Offensive Tackles on their roster that are cheaper. I suppose the silver lining is that he didn't get the contract former Seahawk Russell Okung got.
  • NFL schedule is released. The Seattle Seahawks look to have a favorable schedule, which is good because their O-Line is still the NFL's worst by a wide margin and their Secondaries have questions with it. Those problems and the way they lost in the playoffs last season would have me thinking this season will not be a good one even with said favorable schedule. Perhaps they get a draft class like 2010's, 2011's or 2012's in this upcoming draft and I might be more optimistic about their season than I currently am.
    the cardinals schedule is only marginally better, probably because they finished with a losing record. however, if they can get mike Williams in the first round and get a decent qb in the 2nd round I think they will be good for a few more years.
  • The first round of the NFL draft came and went. Loved the Steelers' selection of T.J. Watt. Why am I not surprised the Seahawks traded their pick twice and ultimately out of the first round again. That cost them a shot at picking Watt.

Also, I think the Bears might become the worst team in football this upcoming season. They traded multiple picks to move up one spot to pick Mitch Trubisky; a guy that started 13 college games whose upside is maybe a poor man's Matt Ryan but right now reminds me a lot of Ryan Tannehill when he got drafted.
  • You must read too much into what the analysts say, Trubisky in the right system could be great

P.S. this is coming from a Saints fan
    I'm liking the cardinals pick, especially if he can be anything close to chandler jones talent. well see what the rest of the draft holds
  • Really disliked the Seahawks day 2 draft as a whole. Their first 2 picks were a guy that takes off whole games (a reason they didn't draft Robert Nkemdiche last year) and a Center (to replace the one competent player on
    their Atrocious O-Line) when they should've drafted secondaries earlier in the draft. Their 4 picks in the 3rd round are not overtly terrible (I like the player from UCF ) but the Seahawks have major depth issues in a unit that was once a strength that now looks way too bare in their secondaries (their o-line won't be getting helped by a generally weak o-line draft). The last time I was this disappointed by a Seahawks draft was the 2008 draft and sure enough that was a draft after they got spanked in the playoffs that they whiffed on which became obvious when the wheels fell off that team and they went 4-12 that year in a weak NFC West division. Looks like this may be happening again with the 2017 Seahawks with they way they drafted so far.
    KKFan5 said:

You must read too much into what the analysts say, Trubisky in the right system could be great

P.S. this is coming from a Saints fan

Trubisky in the right system could be good. Nothing I've seen from this kid suggest that he could be great. He has issues with his arm strength and accuracy with the deep ball. If he was in Andy Reid's system in Kansas City learning behind Alex Smith for a season or 2 then he's be in a position to succeed. However being drafted by the Bears who historically have been mediocre to terrible at the QB position for decades (with very few weapons to help you succeed as a young QB) while being the face of an inept front office mortgaging their future on you a QB that doesn't have the experience to back up the hype going into the draft is setting up Trubisky for failure. He could prove everyone wrong and be the Bears best QB since Sid Luckman back in the 1940's but the odds are against him. Then again Dan Marino, Brett Favre, & Joe Montana would've probably failed in Chicago as well with the historic ineptitude that the Bears have with QBs.