5 Stars on Songs without Power-ups?

c-murphc-murph Rising Star
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
K, maybe I just suck but is it possible to get 5 stars without the aid of power ups~?!

The most I can get is just over 4 stars. 5 stars seems unreachable to me; let alone gold stars.

Comments

• A_Drunken_SmurfA_Drunken_Smurf Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I think I've hit it a few times - I was running mostly with no powerups last night, and hit a few 5 stars. I was traditionally getting about 4.5 - 4.75, and I was not taking an optimal path or hitting all my notes, so 5 stars with no powerups is certainly doable.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Gold stars without powerups is probably not possible.

But 5, sure. You have to be in Blitz mode for basically the whole song, but that's possible.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    5 is possible yes, might depend on the song sometimes though
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Ahhh... kkk, thanks.

I just suck then.
    edited August 2012
    Keep at it, you'll get better =)
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    c-murph;4862549 said:
    Ahhh... kkk, thanks.

I just suck then.

You and me both. Having never played Amplitude or the others, this gameplay is brand new to me. I'm still working out the kinks, and only getting between 3 and 4 stars a song, even on the easy songs. I figure it'll just take some time and experience. As SheSaid says, keep at it!
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I almost never get five stars with no powerups. Four stars is definitely doable, and I believe you CAN do 5 stars, but it's certainly not expected.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Even though I've only failed to get 4 stars just once, I have yet to get 5 stars, even WITH powerups! I think I need to try a different control scheme, as I still find myself switching lanes when I mean to hit notes.

I have noticed that I seem to do pretty well using just one powerup (Bandmate). Maybe I get distracted by having too many? Like if I pick bonus score on guitar, I'm more likely to neglect the other tracks and miss the 3x advancement at the checkpoints.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4862857 said:
    I think I need to try a different control scheme, as I still find myself switching lanes when I mean to hit notes.

Yeah, I'm still fumbling around with what control scheme I like the best. I haven't tried all of them yet (Only got a chance to play about 30 min. of Blitz yesterday), so hopefully there's one I can find that's comfortable.

I'm sure it's against the nature of the gameplay, but I wish there was a control scheme where you could instantly jump to a track, instead of having to cycle through them one by one. For example on the XBox controller:

Trigger-L/R = Notes L/R
    Shoulder L = Drum Track
    X = Bass Track
    A = Guitar Track
    B = Vocal Track
    Shoulder R = Keys Track

I also think it'd be nice if you could jump from vocals/keys (whichever track is the end) to drums by hitting "right" and looping around instead of having to cycle all the way back. I'm sure it goes against the strategy of the game, but it would definitely feel more fluid that way.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    CJHobbes;4863049 said:

I'm sure it's against the nature of the gameplay, but I wish there was a control scheme where you could instantly jump to a track, instead of having to cycle through them one by one. For example on the XBox controller:

Trigger-L/R = Notes L/R
    Shoulder L = Drum Track
    X = Bass Track
    A = Guitar Track
    B = Vocal Track
    Shoulder R = Keys Track

I also think it'd be nice if you could jump from vocals/keys (whichever track is the end) to drums by hitting "right" and looping around instead of having to cycle all the way back. I'm sure it goes against the strategy of the game, but it would definitely feel more fluid that way.

Those would indeed be useful, though I imagine this is an intentional feature to keep the game challenging. I noticed on the Livestream that one of the players had mastered the art of working his way across the field by going one at a time and still hitting every single note - impressive! I usually wait for an opening, and then burst through - that makes it far less likely that I'll get dinged with a missed note penalty / lose Blitz, but MORE likely that I'll wait too long and leave one or more of the tracks not fully promoted before I reach a checkpoint.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    I've nearly hit 5 not going for NOTES most of the time, so yeah, probably.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I can only get 5 stars if I have at least Blast Notes on. At least for now.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I've only managed 5 stars (with powerups) on one song. Space Unicorn. Other than that I seem to get three stars on everything with a few exceptions where I get four stars.

I do a lot of panicking and blow my streak a lot, especially when "Blitz mode" comes on. I'm also not wrapping my head around all the lanes when I play. I tend to get tunnel vision and focus only on the lane I'm in.

Hopefully this will change over time.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I only have the trial songs to work with but staying in the busiest lane for the whole song seems to yield an automatic 4 stars while switching across every lane and doing well only makes a difference of about 2000 points. I'm sure it'd be possible on some songs with a larger ammount of notes/that last longer.
    edited August 2012
    I got gold stars twice using only two powerups (bandmate and blast notes). At least now I know I can without spending the coins on a third powerup.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4863310 said:
    I only have the trial songs to work with but staying in the busiest lane for the whole song seems to yield an automatic 4 stars while switching across every lane and doing well only makes a difference of about 2000 points. I'm sure it'd be possible on some songs with a larger ammount of notes/that last longer.
    More than 2,000. You're stopping your multiplier at 4x by staying in one row.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4863566 said:
    More than 2,000. You're stopping your multiplier at 4x by staying in one row.

GNF, 4x is the highest multiplier possible.
    edited August 2012
    atalkingfish;4864003 said:
    GNF, 4x is the highest multiplier possible.

Not in Blitz. Well, it is if you never switch lanes.

Still, I'm dubious about the difference being that small. I'll have to try it.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4864219 said:
    Take a picture of the note percentage/cred scene, I'd definitely be interested in that.
  • Jakeisquite16Jakeisquite16 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4864219 said:
    I think your problem is not getting your multiplier high enough. I got mine to about 11 or so and that could make the difference.
    edited August 2012
    hodayathink;4864290 said:
    Take a picture of the note percentage/cred scene, I'd definitely be interested in that.
    Can't. Don't get those offline either.
    Jakeisquite16;4864355 said:
    I think your problem is not getting your multiplier high enough. I got mine to about 11 or so and that could make the difference.

That's the point mon! Too difficult to do without powerups that are hitting things in the other lanes.
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4864362 said:
    Can't. Don't get those offline either.

That's the point mon! Too difficult to do without powerups that are hitting things in the other lanes.

I tried a One Week going through all lanes without power-ups run after seeing your post. I only got 33K points, but was able to get all my multipliers up to 10x. I know better is possible since I'm not really that good at keeping a streak (my note percentages hover around 90%).
    edited August 2012
    Rock_Starman;4863310 said:

That's the issue right there. Your multiplier being at 7x at the end of the song does not, sorry to say, reflect a good run.
    edited September 2012
    Yes that is the issue. As I just got done saying...too difficult to do without powerups that are hitting things in the other lanes.

This guy here said he got it to 10 and only got 33k. 10k less than I got using one lane. I went back and got them to 10 too and still didn't get as much,closer but still no.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    10x multiplier isn't an especially good naked run either, but 10x multiplier and a final score of 33k is awful. That's just either not hitting many notes (avoiding the vocal track and lingering on drum+bass on slower passages?) or not sustaining Blitz. My last 10x naked run I still clocked into the 44-45k range.

I'm not a great player (no golds yet), but I can get a One Week naked-run multiplier up to 12. Not 12s across the board (yet), but at least Vocals at 12 and everything else 9+.

There's really only two things you need to know about that song for naked runs: first, get Keyboards up early in the first leg because there are no keys late in the first leg and if you didn't give them attention early your first checkpoint will be lousy (and as an exponential-growth game, an early bad checkpoint is disaster); and second, when all else fails, Vocals.
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4865230 said:
    10x multiplier isn't an especially good naked run either, but 10x multiplier and a final score of 33k is awful. That's just either not hitting many notes (avoiding the vocal track and lingering on drum+bass on slower passages?) or not sustaining Blitz. My last 10x naked run I still clocked into the 44-45k range.
    Hey, I said I wasn't that good (especially at keeping a streak), so not much Blitz was the main culprit. And that 33K was a sight-read. I'm sure if I went back now I'd probably clear 40K (I played it with all powerups later and gold-starred it).