Which Power Ups to use?

wealldiebadlywealldiebadly Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Just wondering:

1. Which power ups have you guys found most useful?

2. Is there anywhere that gives you a heads up on how to use them? For example I was trying to figure out the one which swaps track lanes but I couldn't figure it out and I would hate to waste coins trying to discover how it works.

Comments

• MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4862816 said:
    If you are going to use jackpot might as well use flame notes. 2400 per flame note while under jackpot
    BRB, gonna go try that out...
  • CharityDiaryCharityDiary Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    If you're playing a song with lots of dense groups of notes, maybe a metal song or something, with heavy guitar and bass riffs, then Road Rage would probably be best, as it can take care of A LOT of those notes. It also doesn't require you to watch where you're going, and you're free to go where you wish, and miss notes if you have to.

Jackpot is the most useful for straightforward songs with normal note frequency, especially if the song has solos or a long outro. It's possible to get over 100,000 with a single use of Jackpot, but it does have a downside: if you see an overdrive path or Blast Note a few tracks over, you'll probably have to just miss it, instead of trying to get it and missing a note.

I always use Blast Notes, because they help get the track multipliers up. I hardly ever play on the Drum track, but the multiplier always goes up, because of the Blast Notes. They're also the easiest to use, since you don't have to freaking follow them everywhere and miss notes trying to catch them. Easy and efficient =)

I typically use Super Guitar (unless the song is Shout), because even if the song has more Keys notes, I like staying in the center lane so I can get to any overdrive phrases or Blast Notes I see easily. Having Super Drums would just be pointless, because I'd have to stay completely to the left to make any use of it, and I'd miss everything on the tracks to the right.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    CharityDiary;4863690 said:
    I typically use Super Guitar (unless the song is Shout), because even if the song has more Keys notes, I like staying in the center lane so I can get to any overdrive phrases or Blast Notes I see easily. Having Super Drums would just be pointless, because I'd have to stay completely to the left to make any use of it, and I'd miss everything on the tracks to the right.

That said- on a disco beat song (Everlong, Run to the Hills), Bandmate + Super Drums is massive. Those are usually too fast for you as a player to hit reliably, but Bandmate will nab them all. Then you just focus on grabbing all the OD you can to keep it going.
    edited August 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4863747 said:
    That said- on a disco beat song (Everlong, Run to the Hills), Bandmate + Super Drums is massive. Those are usually too fast for you as a player to hit reliably, but Bandmate will nab them all. Then you just focus on grabbing all the OD you can to keep it going.

I'm actually a drummer in real life, and I can hit pretty much all the disco beats in this game =) I do admit, I use Super Drums on songs with disco beats.
  • nafnaf Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I haven't unlocked all yet, but I like comboing (word?) bandmate, with blast, with either Super Drums (?) or Bass...whichever is more complicated or more value (generally, the same). Then I focus on the super lane just after a checkpoint to get the multiplier as high as possible before activating bandmate....then switch over to other lanes to work on the base cap.

Probably doesn't make any sense....but it does in my head HA!
  • TheRealKai099TheRealKai099 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Personally, I usually use Bandmate, Blast Notes, and one of the super tracks. With that, had quite a lot of high ranks, and some top ranks.
  • blackheartstarblackheartstar Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    What I want to know is what power up combo was used on Gymnopedia No.1 (Satie) on PS3. I golded the song before hitting my current score of 68,940. Hit 100% on both instruments with what i thought was a decent power up selection. The top score is 876,564 thats insanely high. I want to know how.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    probably Jackpot/Flame Notes
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    blackheartstar;4864304 said:
    What I want to know is what power up combo was used on Gymnopedia No.1 (Satie) on PS3. I golded the song before hitting my current score of 68,940. Hit 100% on both instruments with what i thought was a decent power up selection. The top score is 876,564 thats insanely high. I want to know how.

One of the Thomas Walker songs (Moonlight Sonata? I think..?) had a score of almost 40 million. Pinball, Super Keys, and...something.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4864450 said:
    One of the Thomas Walker songs (Moonlight Sonata? I think..?) had a score of almost 40 million. Pinball, Super Keys, and...something.

The video I saw used Jackpot as the third. That might've been how they did Gymnopedie as well.
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4863747 said:
    Bandmate doesn't benefit from instrument buffs. You need to hit them yourself to get those points.
    Unless the results screen is lying.
  • KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Just tested this, by playing "Tempted" with Super Drums and Bandmate, and not playing any drums myself.

If Bandmate plays the notes, it does give you the 50% extra from Super - I can see the points coming up under the notes (if I'm on the same track), and I can see the higher amount being added to the total (whether I'm on the same track or not).

At the end, I got 0 under Super Drums on the results.

Which means all the Bandmate's points, including its 50% bonus, appear under "Bandmate". "Super X" only shows the bonus from the notes you hit yourself.

The results screen isn't lying - any effect from a power-up combo can only be counted in one place, and it's just chosen to count it under Bandmate rather than Super X.
  • xzeldax3xzeldax3 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    KMO_2000;4864928 said:
    Just tested this, by playing "Tempted" with Super Drums and Bandmate, and not playing any drums myself.

If Bandmate plays the notes, it does give you the 50% extra from Super - I can see the points coming up under the notes (if I'm on the same track), and I can see the higher amount being added to the total (whether I'm on the same track or not).

At the end, I got 0 under Super Drums on the results.

Which means all the Bandmate's points, including its 50% bonus, appear under "Bandmate". "Super X" only shows the bonus from the notes you hit yourself.

The results screen isn't lying - any effect from a power-up combo can only be counted in one place, and it's just chosen to count it under Bandmate rather than Super X.

Thank you for testing this. Yesterday I noticed that my super was getting zero points when bandmate played the track and I was disappointed.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Depends on the song for me. I usually use Bandmate and Flame Notes along with one of the Super instruments which varies from song to song. I'll use Jackpot on songs that I feel comfortable enough that I won't mess up. Finally, on tracks with one or two lanes (maybe three), Pinball almost breaks the game. Let me put it to you this way. My first Gold Star in this game was on Fur Elise, just a bass and keyboard track. Got 220k on it. 100k of that score was from the pinball.

EDIT: Just tried the Pinball powerup on a single-track song (Upstream by Cory Wong). 8 mil. Wow. And not even near the top of the leaderboard. The one minor setback from this is the pinball bouncing around throughout the entire song really messes with your eyes.
  • TheAdiposeTVTheAdiposeTV Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    It's all a bit more complicated than normal rock band isnt it :D
  • Banjofan284Banjofan284 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    My usual power ups are Jackpot, Runaway Notes, and Super Instrument (which varies depending on the song). The runaway notes give you 10,000 point for each completed section, which works out well for me.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    TheRealKai099;4864257 said:
    Personally, I usually use Bandmate, Blast Notes, and one of the super tracks. With that, had quite a lot of high ranks, and some top ranks.
    Really? I find bandmate+blast to be completely incompatible. If the bandmate hits a blast and removes the note you were about to play, so ends your time in Blitz. And it's often too much info to track to watch upcoming notes both in your lane, the other lanes you're thinking of switching to, _and_ the bandmate lane. The benefit of Bandmate should be that you can stop caring about that lane for a little while.
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4865276 said:
    Really? I find bandmate+blast to be completely incompatible. If the bandmate hits a blast and removes the note you were about to play, so ends your time in Blitz. And it's often too much info to track to watch upcoming notes both in your lane, the other lanes you're thinking of switching to, _and_ the bandmate lane. The benefit of Bandmate should be that you can stop caring about that lane for a little while.
    And really, not caring about a lane will probably result in your score dropping.

So maybe you shouldn't use Bandmate when going for high scores =\
  • Wave57Wave57 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Depends on the song.

If it is a song where there are a lot of solos, or the difficulty is minimal, I will use Jackpot, Runaway Notes, and a super instrument.

If it is a super fast and difficult song, I will use bandmate, runaway notes, and super instrument.

Runaway notes is incredible since it gives you 10,000 when you successfully do it. It combos well with bandmate since if the runaway notes swap over to that track, you can focus on getting some more OD or getting your multipliers up.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Bandmate and Blast notes works well for me. Bandmate helps keep those pesky drum/vocals lanes occupied while I focus on the others. I usually leave slot 3 open to save a few coins.
  • VAgentZeroVAgentZero Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4865276 said:
    Really? I find bandmate+blast to be completely incompatible. If the bandmate hits a blast and removes the note you were about to play, so ends your time in Blitz.

/agree

I have the best success with Bandmate, Jackpot, or Road Rage, Flame Notes, Blast Notes, or Runaway Notes (but usually Runaway Notes), and Super-Whatever. Still not super-jazzed about Synchrony, but that could just be because I'm not using it right. I'm also terrible with Pinball and Shockwave. (I also don't ever seem to have much luck with Super Vocals either, even when the song has a high difficulty on vocals. There's always another track that has more notes I find.)

Comboing them up, for me, Bandmate + Blast Notes = fail, and Jackpot + Runaway = fail, so I go Bandmate + Runaway, Jackpot + Blast or Flame, Road Rage + whatever, and super-whatever. Yeah, I realize I basically said "all of them", and that's pretty much true. It very, very much depends on the song.
    edited September 2012
    VAgentZero;4865306 said:
    /agree

I have the best success with Bandmate, Jackpot, or Road Rage, Flame Notes, Blast Notes, or Runaway Notes (but usually Runaway Notes), and Super-Whatever. Still not super-jazzed about Synchrony, but that could just be because I'm not using it right. I'm also terrible with Pinball and Shockwave. (I also don't ever seem to have much luck with Super Vocals either, even when the song has a high difficulty on vocals. There's always another track that has more notes I find.)

Comboing them up, for me, Bandmate + Blast Notes = fail, and Jackpot + Runaway = fail, so I go Bandmate + Runaway, Jackpot + Blast or Flame, Road Rage + whatever, and super-whatever. Yeah, I realize I basically said "all of them", and that's pretty much true. It very, very much depends on the song.

Very true.

I find that Road Rage + Blast Notes + Super Guitar is a good enough combination to get top scores on pretty much every song. However, if you're going to go for #1, Jackpot would be more useful, as long as you put enough work into memorizing the optimal overdrive paths.
  • wealldiebadlywealldiebadly Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    KEWB;4865023 said:
    Depends on the song for me. I usually use Bandmate and Flame Notes along with one of the Super instruments which varies from song to song. I'll use Jackpot on songs that I feel comfortable enough that I won't mess up. Finally, on tracks with one or two lanes (maybe three), Pinball almost breaks the game. Let me put it to you this way. My first Gold Star in this game was on Fur Elise, just a bass and keyboard track. Got 220k on it. 100k of that score was from the pinball.

EDIT: Just tried the Pinball powerup on a single-track song (Upstream by Cory Wong). 8 mil. Wow. And not even near the top of the leaderboard. The one minor setback from this is the pinball bouncing around throughout the entire song really messes with your eyes.

This is really cool tip, thanks for the heads up. One of the reasons I started this thread was I was having trouble gold starring a song. I tried your trick on Landslide (which only has a guitar and vox part), and it worked really well. That said, I then used bandmate and the flame notes and get an even higher score. Weird.
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I've got some more playtime under my belt, so I can better point to a few combinations that have been working consistently for me now.

Jackpot + Blast Notes has been a constant winner for me in mid-to-long songs with predictable patterns. If you're playing a long song, I've found powerups that give you a multiplier to points earned (like Point Doubler, Jackpot, Bandmate, and Super-Whatever) are much more valuable than powerups that give you a fixed score like Pinball, Flame Notes, Runaway Notes, etc., and if you can get away with using Jackpot, it's huge. Jackpot is even more useful to me in songs with a lot of less-than-impossible solos as well. I have a suspicion that Jackpot + Synchrony would be a good combination, but again, Synchrony's best application eludes me. The main reason I like Blast Notes with Jackpot is that it stays out of your way, and you don't have to chase it around the track (like Flame Notes or Pinball) which causes you to run the risk of dropping your Jackpot streak.

Shockwave + Pinball are great for dense tracks. I'm looking at you, Through The Fire And Flames.

Bandmate + Flame Notes or Bandmate + Runaway Notes are pretty decent ones for me when a song has a lot going on, but isn't super dense (or super-long), or when the tracks are all tricky and I can't rely on one for Jackpot.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I always use road rage, and on difficult songs I'll choose an instrument power-up that I think would best match the song. I NEVER use a note power-up, that really screws up my strategy.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    nascarfan19;4866586 said:
    I always use road rage, and on difficult songs I'll choose an instrument power-up that I think would best match the song. I NEVER use a note power-up, that really screws up my strategy.

then you arent getting the most out of your scores
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4866589 said:
    then you arent getting the most out of your scores

But it screws with my leveling up
    edited September 2012
    If you aren't good with the note powerups, try Blast Notes. The notes it destroys count toward your multipliers, and it's basically hands-off. You hit it, it wipes out notes on the OTHER tracks, and you move on. Better than nothing. I love it with Jackpot because it earns me points and isn't distracting, but it might be decent with Road Rage too for your case.
  • zegsigmazegsigma Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    personally i use:
    Road Rage
    Blast Notes
    Super Guitar

i am not sure if it is the best or not but since i switched to this combo i have not got less than 5* on any song.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Jackpot
    Blast Notes
    Super Guitar(sometimes a different instrument depending on song)

Jackpot is really the only way to go for 90% of the songs in the game.