My First Impressions/Gripes

whiteboyguswhiteboygus Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
When I heard That they were making this game, about a year ago, I have been excited ever since. I bought and played the game and I loved every minute of it! I have been a big fan of Harmonix's previous controller based titles like Frequency, Amplitude, and Lego Rock Band (DS) for a long time and was really looking forward to playing their newest addition.

Unfortunately... after a few plays I have several gripes:

1- The Gameplay:
I have to say, I like the multiplier cap idea, but I don't like that their is no difficulty. In this game, each song has only one difficulty and the idea is to just get the biggest score. In previous games, if you played a segment correctly, it would disappear, leaving you open to play the other tracks. I like this concept more than the way it is. Also, having only two notes to play from isn't much of a challenge. At least in Amplitude they give you 3.

2- Tapping with the control sticks:
This get very uncomfortable after a long round of playing. Not to mention, it's hard to keep a combo going when I have to take my thumb off the right stick to press the X button to use a powerup.

3-The Coins:
Why? Just Why? I could understand if I was using the coins to purchase the powerups for unlimited use. But to pay for each powerup per song goes against the whole point of the game; to get a high score. This brings me to my next point:

4-The Facebook App:
Integrating Facebook into a game is fine, but making it basically a requirement to use it is kind of wrong. Giving out in-game coins for goals was a dumb idea. Mostly because the Coins system is flawed anyway

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Harmonix and have been a big fan for almost a decade, but their are a LOT of ideas in this game that should have been scrapped. I'm hoping they put out a patch to fix some of these flaws. At least make it so I can Map the buttons to the shoulder buttons instead of the control sticks. PLEASE?!

Comments

• KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    #1 is a matter of opinion
    #2 there are four control schemes to choose from and from what I've seen on these boards it appears the default layout instantly became the least popular
    #3 I didn't really like this much at first, but after playing some more and completing some goals I seem to be doing fine at keeping up and haven't had to worry about coins at all after a few songs. The size of my library probably helps with that though. Still not really a fan of this setup, it seems like it's sort of meant to really entice you to use the Facebook app and get more dlc.
    #4 I like the Facebook app. The simple fact that it allows connectivity to your Facebook friends gives a great social aspect to the game. However, I really wish we could use the app features in-game. It's irritating having to load up Facebook to check on your goal progress and start on new goals.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited August 2012
    whiteboygus;4862818 said:
    This get very uncomfortable after a long round of playing. Not to mention, it's hard to keep a combo going when I have to take my thumb off the right stick to press the X button to use a powerup.

You can use the D-pad and A button instead of the analog sticks.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    whiteboygus;4862818 said:

4-The Facebook App:
    Integrating Facebook into a game is fine, but making it basically a requirement to use it is kind of wrong. Giving out in-game coins for goals was a dumb idea. Mostly because the Coins system is flawed anyway

2. There are 4 different control schemes only one of which makes to hit the notes using the sticks/d-pad.

4.It is not a requirement. Not in the slightest.
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    We playtested selectable difficulties and more than one note per track to hit, but it proved to be too overwhelming to keep track of, in addition to everything else going on (multipliers, leveling, checkpoints, streaking, powerups, etc).

And as others have stated, using the D-pad and A button are also an option for the default controller scheme. And there are other control schemes you can try, including one where you can play notes using the shoulder buttons.

And yes, Rock Band World on Facebook is in no way crucial to enjoy the game bla bla blibbity bloo.
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    HMXmattitude;4863056 said:
    And as others have stated, using the D-pad and A button are also an option for the default controller scheme. And there are other control schemes you can try, including one where you can play notes using the shoulder buttons.

My fingers hurt just thinking of trying to use the shoulder buttons to hit gems again. d-pad + A seems to be the easiest on the hands and you can hit X or A+X pretty easily.