Blizt sounds terrible!!

LordRavenBajaLordRavenBaja Mellow Out!!!
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
The game is fun, but the sound is horrible!! It sounds like I'm listening to an old AM radio. I had to change the settings on my stereo just to make it sound somewhat decent. I believe the feed from the console is coming through in 2 channel.

Why doesn't the game support Dolby like the other RB titles? Is there a setting that I missed?

Comments

• LordRavenBajaLordRavenBaja Mellow Out!!!
    edited August 2012
    Crap, I just noticed I spelled Blitz wrong, sorry.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    I have no idea what you are talking about, it sounds just like Rock Band 3 to me
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Blizt... sounds like an Eastern European soup dish.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    My setup tells me it's getting Dolby Digital audio from Blitz. In fact, I've noticed that Blitz doesn't have the option to turn off Dolby Digital that was present in previous Rock Band titles (useful for reducing audio latency). So I'm not sure what's going on in your case.
    edited August 2012
    I have a very high end stereo, 2000 watts. It interprets the incoming feed as 2, 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 channel. With RB3, I can click the Dolby setting and get a true 5.1 feed. Blitz is a 2 channel feed, meaning only right and left. I have to use a digital cinema setting that interprets the feed into 5.1, but it is not truly a Dolby signal. It will sound fine on a TV, which are mostly 2 channel feeds.
  • edited August 2012
    It sounds worse than RB3 for me but it don't bother me none.
    edited August 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4862980 said:
    My setup tells me it's getting Dolby Digital audio from Blitz. In fact, I've noticed that Blitz doesn't have the option to turn off Dolby Digital that was present in previous Rock Band titles (useful for reducing audio latency). So I'm not sure what's going on in your case.

Are you using cables or fiber?
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I did notice some songs didn't sound all that nice, but I think it's just me.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I just played the game on some super high-end fiber-optic stereo system at my friend's house yesterday. I'm pretty particular about sound quality, and I didn't notice any difference. I can't say I specifically looked for it, though, but it's not different enough (if at all) for me to notice right away.

Any HMX people want to clear it up? They'd be the only ones with actual bit-rate information.
  • edited August 2012
    Sounds great through my set up.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I just switched to two-channel analog sound, to reduce latency with Rocksmith. So ALL my games sound a bit less rich to me, now that the sound is only coming from 2 speakers, instead of 5 + subwoofer. Since I've only been playing RS + RB3 + RBB, I figure I might as well keep this setup for now, rather than switching back and forth.

Whoops, I guess I need to recalibrate RB3 now. I didn't notice any difference in lag, but I've only played 3 songs in the game since I changed my settings, all on vocals (which always seems to be the least troublesome instrument with lag).
    edited August 2012
    I'm using a Sony DA500ES, 7.1 channel, using fiber for audio and HDMI for video. This is a true certified THX system and the best model Sony offered at the time. With my sub, I'm just at 2000 watts.

There is definitely a problem with the sound coming from the game. It is only coming through 3/2.1 channel, which is a Dolby feed (but ancient!). My system gives me the ability to check the feed coming through. If I unplug the fiber and run with RCA's, I get the same sound and feed. I unplugged the RCA's just for kicks, and still a 3/2.1 (which is basically a 2 channel with sub) through the fiber.

RB3 gives me a 5.1 Dolby feed, again, my system confirms this. All of the Blitz songs on RB3 sound great and come across in 5.1, but Blitz is terrible on my system. I've had to use audio enhancements just to make it sound good, which means I have to change my settings when I go between Blitz and RB3.

Just curious why HMX did not put 5.1 support into Blitz.
    edited August 2012
    LordRavenBaja;4863127 said:
    I'm using a Sony DA500ES, 7.1 channel, using fiber for audio and HDMI for video. This is a true certified THX system and the best model Sony offered at the time. With my sub, I'm just at 2000 watts.

There is definitely a problem with the sound coming from the game. It is only coming through 3/2.1 channel, which is a Dolby feed (but ancient!). My system gives me the ability to check the feed coming through. If I unplug the fiber and run with RCA's, I get the same sound and feed. I unplugged the RCA's just for kicks, and still a 3/2.1 (which is basically a 2 channel with sub) through the fiber.

RB3 gives me a 5.1 Dolby feed, again, my system confirms this. All of the Blitz songs on RB3 sound great and come across in 5.1, but Blitz is terrible on my system. I've had to use audio enhancements just to make it sound good, which means I have to change my settings when I go between Blitz and RB3.

Just curious why HMX did not put 5.1 support into Blitz.

Hm... this seems very comprehensive....

HMX... what do you have to say for yourself....?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2012
    It is a 'cheap ass' arcade title. Do you really expect the same bells and whistles on a $15 arcade title that you get from a full $60 retail title?

Yes I realize sound is important in a music game, but you're not going to get the dolby digital surround sound of an Imax theater in the local $2 matinee theater ;)

I have to imagine that licensing and paying for dolby encoding and support on a $15 arcade title might have been cost prohibitive, but I don't know that for sure.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4863138 said:
    It is a 'cheap ass' arcade title. Do you really expect the same bells and whistles on a $15 arcade title that you get from a full $60 retail title?

A lot of people on this forum sure seem to (not necessarily about this).
    edited August 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4863138 said:

Yes I realize sound is important in a music game, but you're not going to get the dolby digital surround sound of an Imax theater in the local $2 matinee theater ;)

I have to imagine that licensing and paying for dolby encoding and support on a $15 arcade title might have been cost prohibitive, but I don't know that for sure.

I would like more information on this. Frankly, I know nothing about the cost of dolby 5.1, but I would come to expect that there would be at least a LITTLE priority for that kind of thing in a MUSIC video game.

I would believe it, but I don't know enough about it. Sorry, TAG, but I don't think you do either. It's a very possible (and maybe even "likely") explanation, but far from anything comprehensive or conclusive.

But I would argue with a totally non-informed conjecture that 5.1 is more of a 'standard' and less of a 'bell' or 'whistle'.
    edited August 2012
    atalkingfish;4863170 said:
    I would like more information on this. Frankly, I know nothing about the cost of dolby 5.1, but I would come to expect that there would be at least a LITTLE priority for that kind of thing in a MUSIC video game.

I would believe it, but I don't know enough about it. Sorry, TAG, but I don't think you do either. It's a very possible (and maybe even "likely") explanation, but far from anything comprehensive or conclusive.

But I would argue with a totally non-informed conjecture that 5.1 is more of a 'standard' and less of a 'bell' or 'whistle'.

I have to agree with this. It is a music game, so I would expect similar audio to that of other music titles by the same mfg. If buying these types of games is a quality issue, then I just learned a lesson.

It's not a deal killer. Since my system is so nice, I can change the settings to get pretty good sound, but it's a fix. The game is super fun, even though I seem to suck at it, hehehe. And through headphones it sounds the same as any other title with headphones, so that's good.

With the new standard of audio actually being 7.1, and even higher end systems are offering 7.2HD, I would think that 5.1 wouldn't be an issue.
  • RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    The music in the gameplay isn't mixed to 5.1 in Rock Band 3. The sound effects and ambiance might be. But songs, like on a CD, aren't mixed and they can't technically be played in true surround sound (in most cases); they're 2 channel. Thus, stereo sound is fine for Rock Band Blitz.

Besides, there's no crowd noise or basically anything other than the music that you're "playing" in Blitz, so what exactly would you want to be shoved to the rear speakers? The powerup sounds?
    edited August 2012
    RobbySuave;4863305 said:
    The music in the gameplay isn't mixed to 5.1 in Rock Band 3. The sound effects and ambiance might be. But songs, like on a CD, aren't mixed and they can't technically be played in true surround sound (in most cases); they're 2 channel. Thus, stereo sound is fine for Rock Band Blitz.

Besides, there's no crowd noise or basically anything other than the music that you're "playing" in Blitz, so what exactly would you want to be shoved to the rear speakers? The powerup sounds?

It sounds like it's playing out of 1 speaker, totally mono. And yes, when I play RB, I use my entire 7.1 system to immerse myself into the music. No different then putting on headphones, you get total sound. I love my music loud, like a concert, but I have the crowd noise turned way down.

Yes, music is not recorded in 5.1 Dolby, generally. So to be more precise: RB plays out of all 7 of my speakers on Dolby Pro Logic II - music. You can definitely hear a guitar, drum, bass, and vocal (or keys) coming from different areas within my room. Blitz sounds like it is only coming out of my center channel, unless I use the Cinema mode on my system, which simulates 5.1 Dolby.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Other than the awful background noise that can be turned down (but not all the way), and the active track volume boost (which is helpful and a nice touch, but REALLY doesn't work on some songs) the game sounds fine. All 5.1 channels are being used here, and it sounds every bit as great as Rock Band 3.

EDIT: On second thought, it's probably just one of the sound filters set up on the home theater that simulates 5.1. The game could truly be in 2 channels, but it sounds fine either way.
  • powerofyates2powerofyates2 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    From my limited time playing, Blitz isn't using the surround tracks. But I don't understand how that translates to "Blizt sounds terrible!!" The songs themselves are stereo. They are being played in stereo. They aren't any worse sounding then listening to the songs by themselves. (well, they are compressed, but you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference, particularly when trying to concentrate on playing) You said it sounds like mono. Maybe you have a processing thing going on that's shifting most of the audio to the center speaker. Try changing your receiver to a "direct stereo" setting.
  • KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    RobbySuave;4863305 said:
    Rock Band 3 does give you discrete 3-channel stereo from the song (if outputting 5.1) - mono stems go to the centre speaker, stereo stems to go left and right. Also, any sing-along goes to the rears. That's not earth-shattering, but it's an advance on a basic 2-channel output.

I need to double-check, but it looks like Blitz may have taken a step backwards. It's still outputting multichannel on my PS3, but the centre channel is only outputting effects. Music only seems to be going to L+R.

Not noticing any quality problems though.
  • KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    LordRavenBaja;4863445 said:
    Yes, music is not recorded in 5.1 Dolby, generally. So to be more precise: RB plays out of all 7 of my speakers on Dolby Pro Logic II - music. You can definitely hear a guitar, drum, bass, and vocal (or keys) coming from different areas within my room. Blitz sounds like it is only coming out of my center channel, unless I use the Cinema mode on my system, which simulates 5.1 Dolby.

Some sort of technical fault there. Can you expand? What platform? Does Blitz only come from the centre channel in DPL II Cinema mode? If so, it's outputting mono for some reason. What is the Cinema mode you refer to in the post?

How are you connected to the receiver? What does the receiver say it's getting as input? Is it getting 2-channel PCM or 5.1 DD or 5.1 PCM?