How Coins Are Awarded Per Song

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
It started bugging me that different coin amounts were being awarded at the end of a song on a seemingly random basis, so I tried to figure out how coins are awarded through some experimentation. I haven't confirmed every single scenario, but this formula should be correct if it applies across the board like I think it does:

Band Tiers 0-1 have a base amount of 50 coins.
Band Tiers 2-4 have a base amount of 75 coins.
Band Tiers 5-6 have a base amount of 100 coins.

To calculate how many coins you will be awarded for playing a song, check the band tier and you will have the base amount of coins as listed above. The base amount is then multiplied by how many stars you get (0-6, with 6 being gold stars). Currently, playing new songs doubles the amount of coins you get.

So for an example of calculating how many coins you should earn, if you play a Tier 4 song, get 5 stars, and you're playing that song for the first time, you can expect to get 75 x 5 x 2 = 750 coins. If you used all of your power-up slots for the song (which total up to 750 spent coins), you would essentially break even.

Using all three power-up slots on Tier 0-1 songs is generally going to be bad for your overall coin count.

Hope this info is correct and that other people find it useful!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Looks like sold data to me. Nice work Mags.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Thanks, I had been wondering this.

I generally forgo a track powerup on very low-tier songs because it just doesn't seem worth the 300 coins to spend on it when there's so few notes in the song.
  • otherother Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Cred seems similar
    Band Tiers 0-1 have a base amount of 10 creds.
    Band Tiers 2-4 have a base amount of 15 creds.
    Band Tiers 5-6 have a base amount of 20 creds.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    That's actually a bit simpler than I thought. I thought it was based on checkpoint counts, but I wasn't too sure because 1) I couldn't keep good count and 2) I was kinda comparing long-and-insane songs vs. middle-of-the-road ones. Yay multiple variables! >_>

For reference, these are the coin counts you'd get when re-playing a song:

4-star: 200/300/400
    5-star: 250/375/500
    6-star: 300/450/600

So currently, after first-plays you'll always lose some coins when using three power-ups, but gold on a hard song can net a profit with two power-ups.

This whole setup actually helps simplify any fixes to the coin deficit complaints (which I think will be increasingly valid over time, as the first-play bonuses dissipate). Say those amounts are all bumped up by 25 a star. The tiers then become 300/400/500 for 4-star, 375/500/625 for 5-star, and 450/600/750 for gold. With this setup, it remains hard to profit when using two power-ups (and it's impossible to on easy songs) and impossible to profit when using three. But there becomes three conditions, rather than just one, where you can profit when using just an OD and a note power-up.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    So the next question is, which songs (from base setlist, from all exports, from DLC) are the most economically-viable for grinding, in a coins-per-minute sense? Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld (RB1 export) is 2:33 and Devil-tier-band. I imagine there are some shorter DLC ones but is that the shortest 5-6 tier song from an export? Core-series export?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm by no means a great player, yet I was able to gold-star They're Red Hot with only two powerups (bandmate, blast notes) on my first try, and that's extremely short and devil-tiered, so if you really want to grind, that might be a good song for it.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    thatmarkguy;4864275 said:
    So the next question is, which songs (from base setlist, from all exports, from DLC) are the most economically-viable for grinding, in a coins-per-minute sense? Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld (RB1 export) is 2:33 and Devil-tier-band. I imagine there are some shorter DLC ones but is that the shortest 5-6 tier song from an export? Core-series export?

How short is Master Exploder? I recall that being really brief.

And They're Red Hot is probably the overall winner on this, think it's only around 90 seconds.