What are the top 5 things you miss about your childhood?

Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
5. I miss playing video games with my Dad. That was something special and we had some really intense battles bruther. Little did I know that it would be some of my best memories 20 years later bruther.

4. My imagination.
When I was a kid I had a wild imagination bruther. Especially after watching a horror movie bruther. I could be up all night bruther thinking something was under my bed dude. My imagination was a good memory. Now bruther I'm more of a realistic thinker dude. I don't have the imagination I once did pal.

3. Summer Vacation
I know it sounds corney bruther but I loved the idea of having 3 months off bruther. At least that's what it was in the 90's bruther. It may have changed now dude. I had some of my best times while summer vacation was in dude.

2. Spending the night at a friends house...
All nighters, Video games, WWF on Monday night (Or wcw) bruther and late night snacks bruther. We used to act like wrestlers bruther and started wrestling in the front yard bruther :) It was so fun dude. Playing football and other sports dude. Always good to have a friend to do that with dude and it was fun everytime I spent the night bruther.

The Console Wars
I know what you're going to say bruther.

Console war talk is forbidden on the Rock Band forums. But in my childhood this was where the entertainment was at dude.This was the heart of my childhood bruther. SNES vs SEGA. Playstation VS N64 and Dreamcast Vs PS2. Company's were spitting out classic games left and right bruther.

It's not right for me to say who won the console wars bruther. Everyone has an opinion bruther but this is what it was like in my childhood bruther. Everyday at school dude.

SNES is better, no SEGA is better. Well we have Super Mario Bros. oh yeah well our sega version of mortal kombat has blood :) It was great bruther. It was good arguements bruther, not all serious.

What is your top 5 childhood memories dude?

Comments

• GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    5. Legos
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    3. Retro consoles/games
    2. Playing video games with my older brother
    1. The awesomeness of local gaming
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited August 2012
    GreatJedi7;4863585 said:
    5. Legos
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    3. Retro consoles/games
    2. Playing video games with my older brother
    1. The awesomeness of local gaming

Yes local gaming was awesome bruther. Good times, Good times.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited August 2012
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    hmmm I not too sure if there are 5 things I miss from my childhood...

3) Not having bills..
    2) Free School
    1) My parents being together

that is all I can think of
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Hogan2000;4864139 said:
    Yes local gaming was awesome bruther. Good times, Good times.

Good times indeed. I really do miss when local gaming was in the spotlight.

Online play is cool and all, but to me, there is nothing better than having four friends beating each other up in Super Smash Bros. just having fun and joking around with each other. That kind of stuff doesn't seem to happen in online games like CoD, Halo, or even Rock Band.

Local gaming FTW.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    sorry, i'll just delete that, i'd appreciate if you did the same.

just in a really bad mood right now...

edit: thnx
  • edited August 2012
    A total lack of responsibility beyond the air in my bikes tires.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited August 2012
    I don't really have much to offer to a list, since I still feel like I have a few good years left of my childhood :)
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I miss only three major things. Everything else I cherish from the late 80s and all of the 90s still exists in my life, at least in some form.
    I miss having a total lack of personal responsibility.
    I miss being able to dedicate hours upon hours of free time to mastering video games.
    Most importantly, I miss the living hell out of mix tapes.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012
    And that's the only thing I need is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control.

The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches.

The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp.

The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all I need.

And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this.

The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something!

And this. That's all I need.

The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.

And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.

I don't need my dog.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I got a year left of school, but I do miss a lot of things when I was a young lad.

1. Going to Florida often.
    2. Being the only one who were nice to the girls. (Now, they all think I'm hitting on them.)
    3. Being able to sing "I Want My Peanuts" (An old song I made) without sounding gross.
    4. Not being afraid to act like an idiot in public.
    5. Not so much work.

But, there were some things I could just forget about if I wanted to. (My first crush, having extremely strict rules, and not being able to make music.)
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    1. Summer Vacation - What I would do to get that feeling with just 5 minutes left on the last day of school and pissing myself with excitement again. And spending all day everyday of my vacation riding around town on my bike with my friends with absolutely no care in the world.

2. No responsibilities - Want a sandwich? Just ask your mom to make it for you. Watch TV all day, play in the park all day... it's not like you have a class to go to the next morning or work. Absolutely nothing to worry about other than getting home in time to catch the new episode of Rocket Power.

3. Christmas/Holidays in general - I started realizing how boring Christmas has gotten as I started getting older and was no longer a kid. I used to get up at like 5 in the morning and pester my mom to wake up or just "purty please!! Lemme open just one!!" She'd always give in and let me open one and it was always an N64 game or something that I'd then play all morning until everybody else got up. And now, Christmas seems just like any other day. There's no special excitement I invest in it anymore. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

4. Friends - Friends now are so much different than your friends back when you were younger. It would take something very serious for me to get in a fight with a friend when I was younger like beating me at Super Smash Bros. Then, my friend would just go back to his house and by the end of the day, we were friends again. It doesn't work like that anymore. Just say something that someone takes the wrong way and before you know it, you're in an argument and you don't talk to that person for weeks until you finally muster the courage to apologize. And then most times the person is a hard ass and doesn't accept your apology and then you don't talk to that person in years, then out of nowhere he's posting on your Facebook page "yo dude, we gotta chill sometime again." Too much drama for me.

5. Television programming - I just thought TV was more interesting back then. There's hardly anything I'd spend more than a couple minutes watching on TV today. Back then, MTV played music, there were hardly any reality TV series', the cartoons were freakin' awesome. I tried watching the cartoons that my little cousin watches now and they're not the same. Maybe it's just because I'm not a kid anymore I don't get them, but I can browse YouTube, stumble upon a cartoon from my childhood, and sit and watch the whole episode. I suppose that's just nostalgia talking but, the cartoons just seemed better.
    edited September 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4865166 said:
    2. No responsibilities - Want a sandwich? Just ask your mom to make it for you. Watch TV all day, play in the park all day... it's not like you have a class to go to the next morning or work. Absolutely nothing to worry about other than getting home in time to catch the new episode of Rocket Power.
    Lucky! :/
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Not paying bills
    Not paying for school
    Not paying for food
    Not paying for clothes
    Legos.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Just two things:

1. The feeling I got when I discovered online RPGs for the first time. Though the MMOs now are technically better, nothing compares to that jolt I got when I logged onto Everquest and Neverwinter Nights for the first time in middle school.

2. Not having to worry about finding a job, let alone finding a job that can pay my bills, loans, rent, and insurance.
  • blaze122blaze122 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    1. Rugrats
    2. No need for a Job
    3. No Car Insurance
    4. Easy Schoolwork
    5. How excited I would get for Christmas and my Birthday
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    1. Cartoons were worth watching when I was a kid
    2. School was actually fun
    3. Having an imagination
    4. Not having to worry about women
    5. Friends and family being close
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2012
    1. Ovaltine.
    2. GOOD Nicktoons.
    3. GOOD Saturday morning cartoons.
    4. That feel I got when playing a Nintendo game for the first time.
    5. Being able to listen to the radio without running into Lady Gaga and Katy Perry.

And as a bonus, 5 things (without getting into my tortured, personal memories) I don't miss from my childhood.

1. Thinking 4Kids was quality entertainment.
    2. Not knowing what heavy metal was.
    3. Tighty Whities.
    4. Cream o' Wheat
    5. Rewatching the same lame kids movies because I didn't know better.
    edited September 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4866493 said:
    5. Rewatching the same lame kids movies because I didn't know better.

*Rereads your signature.*
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4866943 said:
    *Rereads your signature.*

Bad movies go beyond kid's movies :p (though there are a ton more bad kid's movies because Hollywood thinks that if you wave pretty colors in front of kids for 90 minutes they won't care about plot or character development. For me that was true.)

There's stuff like The Room and Birdemic that are "good" bad movies.

Also, there's a difference between being addicted to bad movies and not knowing a movie is bad because you're too young to fully grasp the concept of a great movie.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    1. Mom and dad surprising us by heading out in the car and arriving at a surprise destination.
    2. Eating chocolate chip ice cream, or watermellon for breakfast, and playing poker with my best friends for the entire day.
    3. Going camping with the entire family. learning to water ski and catching my first fish.
    4. Going to get donuts with my dad on a saturday morning.
    5. Hiking up a stream with my friends and being wet all day.

I didn't think I would be able to name 5 things, then once I started thinking about it, there were too many to name, and I'm reminded what a fun childhood I had. I've been blessed :)
  • MutilationSystemMutilationSystem Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    -Not having responsibility
    -Finding any game I played fun without bothering to critique it.

That's about it.
    edited September 2012
    ^ it's not too late to start making great memories. If they didn't happen for you when you were a kid, make em happen now. I realize there are way too many kids out there who have been robbed of a happy childhood. Makes me sad :'(
  • MutilationSystemMutilationSystem Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    rkbdgurl;4873904 said:
    ^ it's not too late to start making great memories. If they didn't happen for you when you were a kid, make em happen now. I realize there are way too many kids out there who have been robbed of a happy childhood. Makes me sad :'(
    Please don't make me tell a life story, it won't end well lol. I'm in the process of making good times, don't rush me! xD
    edited September 2012
    Take all the time you need. Meant only to encourage you :)
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited September 2012
    Living in suburban Orange County during the late 60's and early 70's.
    1- Orange groves and strawberry fields still dominated the landscape. Endless opportunities for fun.
    2- All houses had multiple fruit trees in the subdivision where I lived, food all day when playing outside.
    3- Lived on a Cul-de-sac. No cars, we owned the street!
    4- Getting to stay up til 11:00 pm to be able to watch Mission Impossible on Saturday night.
    5- Doing whatever I felt like doing on the weekend, for as long as I wanted to do it.
  • SoundsofMusicSoundsofMusic Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    1.) Good Pokemon- I take a look at it now and it's just too much to keep up with. Eh... I guess I just gave up on it after growing up at such a young age and didn't have time for it like I did. Realizing I had to buy the games and the cards with my own cash was burning a hole through my pocket and I just gave up on it.

2.) Not having responsibilities- I'm twenty as of next Friday, and I've lived on my own since I was seventeen. I learned having responsibility at such a young age, but it freaking sucks now. I have bills to pay for, my own groceries to buy, I have to actually manage my time wisely, I have to buy my own pleasurable things with games, movies, etc. and, well, etc. more. I tell all the kids I still talk to from back during rec days that were in the younger groups to appreciate their last few years as kids, because once you hit eighteen, or graduate, things are going to turn around, and mommy and daddy are not always going to be there, or shouldn't be at that age. You've got to grow up eventually.

3.) Some school- I miss a little bit of the stuff I had back in my middle/high school days. Being able to copy everything the teacher wrote on the board as notes to that of having to write down what I think is important to know seeing as professors I've had don't do what those teachers did. That's the biggest thing really.

4.) Friends- When you look at it, after high school, a few things happen with friends. They go off to separate colleges, they go off to jobs, they randomly vanish because they don't have to see you at school anymore and all that. You eventually lose a good amount of the contact with them because again, we're becoming adults with college and work and don't have time for it, and when we're not doing either of those things, or both, we're just wanting to sleep due to being tired.

5.) Games- Games were something I looked forward to when I was younger. I look at it now and it's just the same stuff over and over again. Halo 2 made an impact on my gaming life, and I was able to stay up until 7 A.M. the next morning playing it, as to that of Rock Band (which came along after my childhood I guess, so why did I bring it up? Lol.). Games were fresh to me in general, which I'm sure is the reason why I looked forward to them. Now I just wish I could look forward to a game.
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Meh. Nothing.

I guess always having meals like, ready. I swear, you get out of high school and you're just hungry all the time and nobody has just meals ready for you.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    wreckem279;4887975 said:
    Meh. Nothing.

I guess always having meals like, ready. I swear, you get out of high school and you're just hungry all the time and nobody has just meals ready for you.
    Stouffer's does.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    1. End of the year pizza party for the whole baseball and/or soccer team
    2. Lunchables
    3. Renting video games at Blockbuster
    4. Capri Sun
    5. Sneaking my Game Boy with me to the toilet for maximum Pokemon gaming