Golding RB: Blitz Songs Just a Little Bit Ridiculous

uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Herro,

I've bought the game, learned the ropes, unlocked all power-ups, and started trying to Gold all the songs in the game.

Even when I play absolutely fantastically, grab all the notes I can, get all the special notes and release my power-ups at great moments, I still come up short most of the time for Gold.

Who do you actually expect to Gold star this game? I'm a very good player and a drummer, which is needed for this game since everything is just percussion based now, and I just rock the **** out of the songs and it's still just out of reach. Sometimes by a hair, it's so ridiculous.

I think your bar set for Gold is kind of ridiculous. Especially since more songs don't properly fit into their checkpoints and the keyboard sustains are just God awful and point wasting.

Let's lower it a bit for your typical players and maybe leave the current Gold standings for those just looking to get the highest scores. These Gold levels are call for extarordinary talent that just isn't worth my time trying songs over and over for miss by a notch.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could restart as well or try again with ease, but the redundant coin system does nothing but hinder your progress and in itself is just pointless. Give us our power-ups and let us focus on scores rather than having to stop and grind coins. It makes Golding unappealing and playing songs just for coins completely unappealing.

Other ideas:
A song count in the menus
A fraction indicator to let you know how many you've played (54/754 songs)
Not reloading DLC if you back out to the title screen
Connecting to Rock Band Central before loading DLC so you don't waste your time if the server is down

That's it. Rant out

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited August 2012
    you really expect to beat a game on the first few days?

remember when you first started your first rhythm game with guitar/drums or whatever? did you gold star everything on expert straight away?
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    While I agree that it is difficult to gold-star a song on Blitz, it's very obvious that the game is just not super easy and you have to work to get good at it. What's wrong with that?
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    The guys at harmonix have already said this isn't just a beatmatch game; there's a certain amount of strategy behind it. You have to figure out the right combinations of power ups to gold star songs. I've managed to gold star 5 of them. It is possible :P
  • TheRealKai099TheRealKai099 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Gold stars are hard to get for a reason, because they're the highest thing you can get in the game. They're not supposed to be easy to get, you're supposed to work for them.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    HMX can you please gimp this game so I can get gold stars?
  • edited August 2012
    And while they're at it, they can also make guitar playing easier so I'll be able to get all those pro guitar goals in RB3.

Not every achievement/trophy/goal needs to be attainable by every player. We have enough ribbons for participation as it is.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Der_Lex;4864262 said:

Not every achievement/trophy/goal needs to be attainable by every player. We have enough ribbons for participation as it is.
    Exactamundo.

I have gotten a few gold stars in Blitz and felt proud every time I did.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I submit that it will be literally impossible to gold star every song in the pack, and thus no one will earn the trophy. AND YET game players are constantly proving me wrong, doing things I would have bet were utterly impossible. Getting a guitar FC on "In the Wake of Evolution", I mean, c'mon, no one can move their fingers that fast, that accurately. Doing a perfect speed run through all of Super Mario 64 in 1 hour and 45 minutes? Only a robot could do that. And yet ...

http://gameological.com/2012/08/mr-perfect/

OK, so SOMEONE will gold star them all. Has someone, already? But it's going to be far fewer than 1% of the people that get the game. Why would they make it a trophy if they knew that it was going to be so incredibly hard? The fact that it's a trophy implies that it's possible to do, if you have good gaming skills and you just apply yourself. But doing this one could take weeks, maybe months, and you will grow to hate every one of those songs as you try to grind your way through them.

Me, I have yet to get my first 5 star performance, on any song, but I've only played for about 4 hours. Also: I'm not a prodigy at this stuff.
  • RyRoboRyRobo Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I've just cleaned up and finished golding the Blitz setlist, so I'll pass on some advice if you'd like. The big problem for me was Shout, which took many many tries and a lot of coins, but in my experience once you collect a gold or three you really figure out how to get the system working in your favour and things just slot into place from there. Remember, this isn't instrument Rock Band or even Unplugged, you've got a huge new skillset to learn, so don't get discouraged so easily.

My tactic was jackpot, blast notes and super *Most prominent instrument at the end of the song*. I just tried to stay in Blitz mode as long as possible (Which gives a huge chunk of points to your total, but it's a bit discrete so you don't really notice). To keep Blitz mode going I only swapped tracks when it was safe to do so, which can be difficult in some songs. I tried to use jackpot at times where there were a high amount of notes on the super track, but only if the other multipliers were full.

Multipliers are difficult, especially keyboard on songs like Give It Away. Truth is, you just got to learn how to push those up to max, and having a few goes without coins will save you from frustration. Believe me. The most important thing you want to do for the first 75% of the song is to get those multipliers to max at every checkpoint. This is because a huge, huge percentage of points come at the very end. At the last run when you've passed the final checkpoint focus on your super track, release jackpot and don't swap to add any other multipliers, the bonus you get on those tracks is not worth it (Unless you're rocking overdrive).

I'm constantly behind 'The Duke' when I play until that very last stretch, so don't be put off. If coins are giving you trouble... there's little advice I can give there because there's little you can really do, although Magnet just posted a great thread on how they work.

Hope this is what you were looking for. It's not too hard, and it's definitely not impossible, you just have to play by the games rules and learn how to bend them to net those shiny stars.
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    uppyb0t;4864240 said:
    ...and the keyboard sustains are just God awful and point wasting...

You don't actually have to hold a whole sustained note for it to "count" towards your next multiplier.

If I've got a track that's just a series of long sustained notes next to a track with more dense notes (i.e. a keyboard track with just long sustains next to a chatty vocal track), I'll mainly stay on the vocal track, occasionally popping over to the keys track to hit the initial note in a sustain.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited August 2012
    HMXmattitude;4864316 said:
    You don't actually have to hold a whole sustained note for it to "count" towards your next multiplier.

If I've got a track that's just a series of long sustained notes next to a track with more dense notes (i.e. a keyboard track with just long sustains next to a chatty vocal track), I'll mainly stay on the vocal track, occasionally popping over to the keys track to hit the initial note in a sustain.

Thats exactly what I do with keys, and on no keys songs, vocals. It really pays off.
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I'm finding that the difficulty in gold starring varies greatly from song to song, and I'm not sure how to predict which songs will be easier. From what I can deduce so far, it seems like songs that have an even amount of notes on everything are easier because you don't have to make as many sacrifices to get your multipliers maxed.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I have to say, I thought Blitz would be more difficult. I've been playing for three days now, and I'm constantly getting gold stars even in the more difficult and faster songs.
  • CharityDiaryCharityDiary Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    I finally got Gold Stars on all the Blitz songs last night. I had to play Shout 11 times, and Spoonman 17 times to Gold-Star them, but I finally did it. It was pretty difficult.
  • BogoblinGamerBogoblinGamer Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    It seems to me that really short songs are very easy to gold star, but long songs are insanely hard.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    My only gold stars so far are Charlene and Doll. So yes, short songs are easier.

It is a bit ridiculous, most of my five-stars are from unleashing a pinball and playing no notes while keeping that thing bouncing around. Yeah, it gets moving pretty fast, but should I really be playing NO notes while it's active?

I don't know how the **** you guys are gold starring longer/harder songs, I have a hard enough time hitting five stars.

I also hate how solos completely remove all notes from the other tracks. Just because there's a guitar solo on Orange Crush doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be playing the bass or drums line.
    edited August 2012
    MofoMan2000;4864492 said:
    My only gold stars so far are Charlene and Doll. So yes, short songs are easier.

It is a bit ridiculous, most of my five-stars are from unleashing a pinball and playing no notes while keeping that thing bouncing around. Yeah, it gets moving pretty fast, but should I really be playing NO notes while it's active?

I don't know how the **** you guys are gold starring longer/harder songs, I have a hard enough time hitting five stars.

I also hate how solos completely remove all notes from the other tracks. Just because there's a guitar solo on Orange Crush doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be playing the bass or drums line.

the pinball is probably the worst powerup on anything. because its soo damn hard to play notes and keep that thing going, while not breaking your streak and still upping all the multipliers. i'd suggest switching powerups if i were you,

(pinball on 1 instrument tracks is awesome though)
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    HMXmattitude;4864316 said:

Two-note sustains are biiiiiiiiiiig points, though.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited August 2012
    BogoblinGamer;4864483 said:
    It seems to me that really short songs are very easy to gold star, but long songs are insanely hard.

It seems the opposite to me. I can get higher ranks on In the Wake of Evolution, 2112, Veil of Illumination, etc. while songs like Welcome to the Black Parade and freaking (I Want to Go to) Space are harder for me.
  • Peaky1969Peaky1969 Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    Me, I have yet to get my first 5 star performance, on any song, but I've only played for about 4 hours. Also: I'm not a prodigy at this stuff.[/QUOTE]

I agree....just about to fire it up..I played 5 hours yesterday...went through the entire ACDC Live track pack....came close a couple of times to getting 5 stars but not quite. I honestly don't want a game that I can beat and be getting gold stars from the get go. I want to be challenged...and I find this game will be challenging...a lot deeper than it looks at first glance, which is a good thing.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Der_Lex;4864262 said:

That reminds me, I need to go back and get that "Beat Zico" trophy...
  • xzeldax3xzeldax3 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    They are called "achievements" for a reason. Not just for progressing in the game like everyone does.
    If I ever get the achievement for gold-starring every RBB song, I will feel like I really accomplished something.
  • JunoHolyJunoHoly Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Use different power-up combinations to some songs! Sometimes there are songs that are easily gold starred with flame notes, others with runaway notes...! You should try different combinations if you think you are doing good but not gold starring, that's exactly what happened to me on Cult of Personality but I finaly gold starred it after 6 or 7 tries!
  • Banjofan284Banjofan284 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I have about half of the new songs gold-starred so far. Some songs are particularly difficult to GS (including I'm Still Standing, Diamond Eyes, and Shout).

One thing I've noticed is that sustain notes are worth a LOT of points in this game. A good song to show this in is Move Your Body by Eiffel 65. You'd think that either bass or keys would give the most points, but nope, it's the guitar part. By using Super Guitar and Jackpot, I was able to score somewhere between 40,000 to 60,000 points off of one use of Jackpot on sustain guitar notes. I beat my original high score by about 60,000 points.

Also, if you're getting close to the end of the song and there's no more checkpoints, don't even try to level up every instrument. Just go for the one that gives the most notes to score the most points.
  • olddrummerolddrummer Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    a rock band game would not be a rock band game without almost impossible achievements/goals.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Well, I'm officially tired of it. I've played Bang Your Head way too many times and that's exactly what I want to do now.

I now hate the song, I'm using Jackpot, Blast, and Super Guitar, nailing parts over and over and still coming up short. It's to the point that this song will now bring back bad memories of this game everytime I hear it and I'm not about to have this game ruin anymore songs for me.

I'm giving up. It's just not fun anymore. Beyond frustrating and one little **** up and it's restart and pay more coins.... fun.... so fun. I'm done.
    edited September 2012
    uppyb0t;4866347 said:
    Well, I'm officially tired of it. I've played Bang Your Head way too many times and that's exactly what I want to do now.

I now hate the song, I'm using Jackpot, Blast, and Super Guitar, nailing parts over and over and still coming up short. It's to the point that this song will now bring back bad memories of this game everytime I hear it and I'm not about to have this game ruin anymore songs for me.

I'm giving up. It's just not fun anymore. Beyond frustrating and one little **** up and it's restart and pay more coins.... fun.... so fun. I'm done.

use jackpot/flame or road rage/blast, and only use road rage with a full bar
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    uppyb0t;4866347 said:

Jackpot and Flame Notes or Road Rage and Blast Notes
    edited September 2012
    uppyb0t;4866347 said:

also, you can play other songs for a bit and then when you've gotten better try again?
  • silenttype01silenttype01 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    uppyb0t;4866347 said:
    hahahha so much this. I decided to go in ABC to get the gold stars and thought I was off to a good start when I got a gold star for Always on my first attempt. I spent the past hour getting worse and worse scores on Bang you Head.

Using Jackpot, Blast Notes and Synchrony. I noticed that switching when prompted gives you 100 points, even if the tracks are empty. :)