You can complete Parenthetically Speaking solo with no DLC!

thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
On PS3, at least. Not only does playing a song on RB3 count towards goals, but it counts *separately* from playing the same song in Blitz.

Which is to say, once you find the three songs on the Blitz soundtrack that qualify and play them in Blitz, you then play two of them in RB3 and shazam (after the RB3 DB syncs with Rock Band World, which seems to be once a day now) - goal completed.

RB3 play also gets around the 'no duplicates' rule in other goals as well. I played Wicker Man in Blitz twice but only one of them counted towards the Iron Maiden stars goal, but I then played Powerslave once in Blitz and once in RB3 and each one gave me credit towards the goal.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Oh wow, you're right. I don't have one of the songs needed so I figured I would never do it and I just checked now and it says it's completed.

I'm on the Xbox btw.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    I bought the Motorhead song just because of this goal.
  • edited September 2012
    I thought this was known but good on ya for pointing it out.

In short:

Number of songs are songs and number of stars are stars regardless of duplication when the goal is Blitz OR RB3.

The game is like a Honey Badger and it don't give a...

Cobra...

;)
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I was sort of wondering about this and was going to try it myself eventually, so thanks for confirming. Now I don't have to awkwardly spam my FB and XBL friends asking if anyone can play some All-American Rejects songs on Rock Band to help me beat a goal.
  • Burntoutat22Burntoutat22 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Oh nice! I thought I was going to have to get the Motorhead song, which isn't really my cup 'o tea. Sweet! I guess I'll just play one of the other 4 then. Thanks all!
  • suprehombresuprehombre Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Well, I play a lot of RB3 so I'll have to try this, but what are the five songs supposed to be?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    The clue says that it's three from Blitz and two from late-2009 DLC.

There are only 4 candidates on Blitz. It's not the Shinedown song.

I've been told what the DLC songs are, but can't confirm myself - and the whole point of this thread is that you don't even need to know the DLC songs because the Blitz songs alone, played in Blitz and RB3, are enough.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    i only played 3 of the 5, the ones from Blitz - i wasn't downloading songs to accomplish and i was awarded both this goal and the live stream version when it expired.
  • ScottyMayteeScottyMaytee Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I found a bug, while using Road Rage the car sometimes doesn't show up but the notes are still being hit. This is on PS3, I have no idea if this happens on Xbox too. The bug doesn't affect my game play or anything but I just thought I better report it.

I tweeted @RockBand and the replied "@RockBand: @KobraStar That's a new one to us. Can you hit up http://harmonixmusic.parature.com and give us info?"
    but the website won't load? properly and when it does it runs really slow.
    Anyway I managed to record it.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj944V2f-xM&feature=g-upl
    edited September 2012
    Obligatory Followup Post:

This loophole has now been plugged. It worked early last week for the Come Fly With Me goal, but today my attempt to complete the Boston goal, to get double credit for one song on the Grunge scavenger goal, and to get double credit for one song on the Pearl Jam goal all came up empty - star count or song count did not increment a second time when I played the same song in Blitz after RB3, nor in RB3 after Blitz.
  • JQTNguyenJQTNguyen Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I've found this to be the case as well. On a related note, in a Group Goal where we all attempted to play the same song, we found that, when multiple users played the same song, it appears to only take the highest score from the first user to complete the song.
  • KirksplosionKirksplosion Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4875343 said:
    This loophole has now been plugged.
    Aw, man. Just saw for myself that they've fixed it. Bummer. I'll be getting far fewer goals completed now, heh, especially the scavenger hunt ones. Meh, I get it, though - it's an effort to get some more DLC purchases on Harmonix' part. Can't say I blame 'em! I'm just sad that the 'sploit has been squashed. Oh well. Still got that massive RB2 one to work on this week...
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4875343 said:
    Obligatory Followup Post:

This loophole has now been plugged. It worked early last week for the Come Fly With Me goal, but today my attempt to complete the Boston goal, to get double credit for one song on the Grunge scavenger goal, and to get double credit for one song on the Pearl Jam goal all came up empty - star count or song count did not increment a second time when I played the same song in Blitz after RB3, nor in RB3 after Blitz.

Kind of disappointing, but I guess it was against the spirit of the goals thing anyway.
  • Least100SeraphsLeast100Seraphs Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    On the one hand, it makes sense. The idea behind goals like Rock Band 2 Throwback, and the Scavenger Hunts, is to find and play all the songs. So it seems perfectly fair and logical that you need to find/play all the songs.

However, it's a little disappointing on things like the band-specific goals.
    Case in point: the Medium All-American Rejects goal. I don't have any AAR DLC, but I do have two of their songs (Swing, Swing from Lego, and Kinds in the Street of course). I golded KitS and 5'd Swing Swing. Then I invited my gf and a friend of mine to join the goal.

However, because only the top score counts, and because my gf can't gold Swing Swing, she cannot contribute to the goal.

Of course there are solutions.
    She could buy some AAR DLC and contribute. Or she could practice until she manages to gold Swing Swing.

Ultimately, though, the goal system doesn't make her feel included.
    edited September 2012
    Least100Seraphs;4876350 said:
    On the one hand, it makes sense. The idea behind goals like Rock Band 2 Throwback, and the Scavenger Hunts, is to find and play all the songs. So it seems perfectly fair and logical that you need to find/play all the songs.

With the RB2 Throwback goal, if you have one song you have em all. There's not really an 'ownership' issue at play, it's really just a question of time commitment.

With the scavenger hunts being gotta-get-em-all affairs, you could have six of seven songs but no amount of 'scavenging' will allow you to 'find' the seventh song, the one you don't have. And if that seventh song is Miley Cyrus (as it was last week) ... I am not going to pay $2 for something that has no genuine value to me, just to complete a virtual goal. Now that we can't do the half-songs loophole, I would really prefer if their scavenger hunts were more "Play X of the Y qualifying songs" rather than "Play all Y of the Y qualifying songs" - which really is likely only attainable by the DLC completists and the obsessive-compulsive enough that would pay to add unwanted Miley Cyrus songs to their library just to be able to say they completed a goal.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I wasn't sure if that was a bug or a feature, but I guess there really isn't any reason for them to encourage us to play Rock Band 3 along with Blitz. I am more likely to just skip goals now, rather than use them as an excuse to buy qualifying songs. Even when I already own half of the songs, I would wind up buying ones that were already on my wish list.

It's not like I don't have 2 months of coins squirreled away at this point.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4876519 said:
    I am more likely to just skip goals now, rather than use them as an excuse to buy qualifying songs.

I'm in a similar boat. I had no issue getting one more song so I could complete a goal (which was the case for just about every one so far), but two, three songs? Forget it. Just skip the goal, won't bother buying any.
  • grace_pressuregrace_pressure Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I also thought it was pretty fun to play them in RB3 after Blitz. I can understand not allowing this for scavenger hunts, but the medium band-specific goals fit nicely, especially if you have only 3-4 songs and need to 5-star/gold-star them.