The Broken Record Review of Rock Band Blitz

TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I finally got around to buying Blitz.

Raves:

- Playing with the "shoulders" scheme is very easy and natural. It plays like butter. Not much feels better than 100% on the solo to "Run to the Hills".

- No bobblehead! I am going to play new DLC in Blitz because the background is not annoying. Sure, there's only one background, but I can live with it because it fits the game so well.

- No leaderboard rank hiding! No more rank-less 99%! Justice is here!

- I like the generic menu music rather than song snippets (that only served to make you sick of the disc songs).

- RBW is the goal system that updates, what RB3's goal system should have been. In fact, you could play some goals using RB3 activity to earn Blitz coins. I'm hoping that RB4 will use these somehow.

Rant:

- The score and pop-ups seem to be done in a different font - that font is amazing. Why not make the entire UI based on that font, and retire cranky-looking old Pentatonic before it does any more damage? Again, something to think about for RB4.

It seems you have learned from a few of your mistakes, Harmonix. I have forsaken RB3 for RBB, and will shut up about RB3's shortcomings for a good while. However, I expect RB4 to blow my socks off, seeing as how you did so well here, and seeing how long it will take for it to come out.

I'm going to be back every week for more challenges. :cool:

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    STOP WITH THE FONTS! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!l!!
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    I don't know what the font is they use for total scores, but it looks ridiculous. They should've used a font where each numeral takes up the same width. When someone who has 99,999 points looks like they have a higher score (because the number APPEARS bigger (takes up a wider screen space in a list format) then someone who has 111,111,111 points (slight exageration, maybe, not necessarily a real life example I'm using to make the point) then the font choice is Phu-barred.
    edited September 2012
    BachiG;4865494 said:
    I don't know what the font is they use for total scores, but it looks ridiculous. They should've used a font where each numeral takes up the same width. When someone who has 99,999 points looks like they have a higher score (because the number APPEARS bigger (takes up a wider screen space in a list format) then someone who has 111,111,111 points (slight exageration, maybe, not necessarily a real life example I'm using to make the point) then the font choice is Phu-barred.
    That has to do with the length of the person's username. Also complaining about font choices is ****ing stupid.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4865496 said:
    That has to do with the length of the person's username. Also complaining about font choices is ****ing stupid.

Wrong.
  • edited September 2012
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    edited September 2012
    BachiG;4865499 said:
    Wrong.

The first part?

It must be the first part because there is no way the second part can be false. The ONLY time complaining about fonts is ok is when they are literally unreadable and guess what. The fonts in all Rock Band games are perfectly fine.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4865503 said:
    The first part?

It must be the first part because there is no way the second part can be false. The ONLY time complaining about fonts is ok is when they are literally unreadable and guess what. The fonts in all Rock Band games are perfectly fine.

Yeah, I shoulda clarified. Wrong on the first part. The scores are right justified, while the names are left. Generally speaking, you're right... complaints about fonts in a game is ****ing stupid. :D
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah the score changing size is weird.

Let's try and avoid telling Ryan he is right about stuff... mkay?

;)
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited September 2012
    I guess I have different priorities. The score changing size doesn't bother me. But Pentatonic is still a very aesthetically displeasing font, even if it was made by Harmonix. It's like if Harmonix used an ugly dog for their mascot because he's the pet of one of the higher-ups. Actually, the ugly dog would still look better than Pentatonic.

Did you miss the thumbs-up icon in the thread title and the overall positivity?

Another bit of positivity: Simple pop songs are more fun to play here than on the instruments in the main RB games.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2012
    Surprisingly enough, I made a minor complaint about the font of the song select screen being a bit too small for party play.

Overall, I think this is one of the stranger reviews I've read since the priorities seem to be either misguided or shallow.
    edited September 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4865816 said:
    I guess I have different priorities. The score changing size doesn't bother me. But Pentatonic is still a very aesthetically displeasing font, even if it was made by Harmonix. It's like if Harmonix used an ugly dog for their mascot because he's the pet of one of the higher-ups. Actually, the ugly dog would still look better than Pentatonic.

Did you miss the thumbs-up icon in the thread title and the overall positivity?

Another bit of positivity: Simple pop songs are more fun to play here than on the instruments in the main RB games.

No its not. YOU might not like it but the font is fine. You can complain about it all you want but nothing is going to change
    Cipher_Peon;4865824 said:
    Surprisingly enough, I made a minor complaint about the font of the song select screen being a bit too small for party play.
    Who's playing Blitz at a party?
  • edited September 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4865515 said:

Let's try and avoid telling Ryan he is right about stuff... mkay?

;)
    I think that's something we can all agree with.