Is Rock Band Blitz Better Or Worse With A Coin System? (New and Improved!)

jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Is Rock Band Blitz Better Or Worse With A Coin System?

(Now with options that make sense! Woo-hoo!)

Comments

• hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4866158 said:
    Well, we don't have the full game without a coin system to compare it to, so there's really no way to fairly answer.
    It's not that hard to figure out how it would play without the coins. You'd be able to play with all three power-ups every time no question as long as you've unlocked them with cred. Goals and score wars would probably just have a console-based achievement/trophy attached to them instead of coin bonuses.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    hodayathink;4866188 said:
    It's not that hard to figure out how it would play without the coins. You'd be able to play with all three power-ups every time no question as long as you've unlocked them with cred. Goals and score wars would probably just have a console-based achievement/trophy attached to them instead of coin bonuses.

Im able to play with all 3 power ups every time no question. Why? Because Facebook and I have a lot of songs I have yet to play.
  • RyRoboRyRobo Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    The poll is missing an option for guys who think the coin system is good but needs tweaking, which might be quite a few of the guys saying Blitz is better with a coin system.

www, I've also done all the Facebook challenges available and a lot of songs. I've used those coins up since from playing this game a LOT since launch, but I think that guys shouldn't need Facebook or a large library of DLC to get the most out of this game.

They were able to give us setlists in RB1/2 straight to our console. Dunno why we need Facebook now.
  • edited September 2012
    They are so easy to get that it doesn't matter either way.
  • shadowtroopershadowtrooper Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Having to repurchase powerups after a restart is really going to kill long-term play for me. It discourages playing a lot of score duels and grinding for leaderboard positions. I could understand a 50 or 100 coin penalty per restart, but having to pay the full 750 coins again is way too much.
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Can anyone who likes coins specify why? (Concisely, and without snark; I gave up halfway through the other thread). Also, let me first anticipate the following reasons:

"I have enough coins because I have a large DLC library/like to play different songs."
    Nice, but still, you'd be able to play like that even if there were no coins.

"I like to play without powerups."
    "I like the Facebook integration (Score Duels and Goals)."
    To both, I answer: great, but you could still enjoy that even if there were no coins.

"I'd like to get a reward for Score Duels and Goals."
    Now this is valid; I'd say, however, that coins are not needed. You could be rewarded in Blitz Cred and there wouldn't be any problem then.

If there is any other valid reason for keeping coins (when their negative side has already been well established) I'd love to hear it, cause I haven't seen/can't think of any. I'll admit as I don't like the coin system I could be biased and therefore can't think of something obviously positive for coins, which is why I ask.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    read the other thread. this thread was made to be a discussion free simply yes or no type of thing

but just for you. the short version of my answer was that it makes it more challenging, and i like that
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    MemoDLSG;4866244 said:
    Can anyone who likes coins specify why? (Concisely, and without snark; I gave up halfway through the other thread). Also, let me first anticipate the following reasons:

"I have enough coins because I have a large DLC library/like to play different songs."
    Nice, but still, you'd be able to play like that even if there were no coins.

"I like to play without powerups."
    "I like the Facebook integration (Score Duels and Goals)."
    To both, I answer: great, but you could still enjoy that even if there were no coins.

Now this is valid; I'd say, however, that coins are not needed. You could be rewarded in Blitz Cred and there wouldn't be any problem then.

If there is any other valid reason for keeping coins (when their negative side has already been well established) I'd love to hear it, cause I haven't seen/can't think of any. I'll admit as I don't like the coin system I could be biased and therefore can't think of something obviously positive for coins, which is why I ask.

There is no reason to keep them, they need to get rid of them
    edited September 2012
    all hail the all-knowing RSM, he knows what everyone wants and what is good for this world.
    Everyone should listen to and agree with his silly statements that have nothing to support them!
    edited September 2012
    just saw a Tweet from John Drake

https://twitter.com/johntdrake/status/242387277274288128

at least they seem to be willing to tweak it.
    Which i agree on that that might be a bit necessary
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited September 2012
    The idea is great. It would make more sense for an unlock system than for the power-ups, though.
  • Hairy_CabbageHairy_Cabbage Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    even though the votes are tied, you have to remember, that people who fall into the "dont mind if coins were removed since it wouldent affect my game" are more likely to vote for better simply because they can currently play the way they want.
    edited September 2012
    Hairy_Cabbage;4866299 said:
    even though the votes are tied, you have to remember, that people who fall into the "dont mind if coins were removed since it wouldent affect my game" are more likely to vote for better simply because they can currently play the way they want.

and you should also consider that with a few tweaks to the system the "dont want coins" would fall in the don't care category
  • Hairy_CabbageHairy_Cabbage Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4866311 said:
    and you should also consider that with a few tweaks to the system the "dont want coins" would fall in the don't care category

well then heres to hoping these "tweaks" happen.
    edited September 2012
    Hairy_Cabbage;4866314 said:
    well then heres to hoping these "tweaks" happen.
    jibjqrkl;4866259 said:
    just saw a Tweet from John Drake

https://twitter.com/johntdrake/status/242387277274288128

at least they seem to be willing to tweak it.
    Which i agree on that that might be a bit necessary
    ^
    edited September 2012
    Also if you are in the "It should be totally removed" camp here you go.

https://twitter.com/johntdrake/status/242388122128764928
    edited September 2012
    MemoDLSG;4866244 said:

Except that once you've unlocked every power-up, there's absolutely no point in gaining cred. It doesn't do anything tangible to gameplay, and there's no leaderboards for it (and if they did implement a leaderboard for it, it would basically just amount to who was able to play the most songs well since you get cred every single time you play a song).
    edited September 2012
    Hairy_Cabbage;4866299 said:
    You can't keep moving the goalposts like that. Not as many people hate the system as you thought. Accept that.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    If Coins stayed even or went higher when I played a song, what's the point of doing Goals? Cred is pointless very quickly, isn't tracked in a leaderboard like RB3 Fans, and can't go down. Goals help with maintaining Coins.
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4866606 said:
    If Coins stayed even or went higher when I played a song, what's the point of doing Goals? Cred is pointless very quickly, isn't tracked in a leaderboard like RB3 Fans, and can't go down. Goals help with maintaining Coins.

This is why I think the best compromise is to make high scores at least coin-neutral (i.e. gold starring [or even 5* if they're being generous] any song nets you 750 coins). So if you're good enough and going for a high score, you don't have to worry about it. And the goals from coins could/would then be primarily for the people who aren't good enough to consistently do that well, which would probably be most people that play the game.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    hodayathink;4866611 said:
    This is why I think the best compromise is to make high scores at least coin-neutral (i.e. gold starring [or even 5* if they're being generous] any song nets you 750 coins). So if you're good enough and going for a high score, you don't have to worry about it. And the goals from coins could/would then be primarily for the people who aren't good enough to consistently do that well, which would probably be most people that play the game.
    So what you're saying is the reward for Gold Starring Stronger, The Wicker Man, and Cult of Personality should be Coins, even though going for those means you're good AND grinding?

That doesn't make sense. With your 'compromise', every CHALLENGING Goal is worthless to everyone, and every Goal is worthless to those who are the hardcore enough to do most of the Goals with their gametime.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I already have a game to compare it to without a coin system - RB3. RB3 has no money system, and instead everything is unlocked completely through specific goals, and it sucks. I'd rather have coins in RB3.
  • Jack5mikemotownJack5mikemotown Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I think it would be cool if the coins could be used to purchase something other than powerups, using the coins as more of a fun extra thing rather than for buying powers. But of course, that would require adding something to the game...
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4866606 said:
    isn't tracked in a leaderboard like RB3 Fans

Not true, RB World has one such leaderboard.
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4866628 said:
    Not true, RB World has one such leaderboard.

Thats only for friends isnt it? also you cant scroll on the leaderboard
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2012
    If I could get rid of the economy system, I would. As it stands, I don't mind it too much.
  • PotatoHandlePotatoHandle Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I'm one Gold Star away from having the setlist completed, I'd be quite happy to play it another 20 times if I had to, and I'd enjoy every second of it, but I'm out of coins. I very rarely get genuinely frustrated at games these days, but the coin system in this case is utterly infuriating. The fact that a restart can cost me up to 10 minutes of playing other songs in order to get another attempt in is absolutely silly.

I have no goals left, so the only way I can make coins is by playing stuff with no powerups; and where's the fun in that? Aren't powerups pretty much the whole point of blitz? Besides, I'll just have to play them again later to bump up my score and I'll get punished and lose more coins for playing them a second time as well.

I love Blitz, but Harmonix needs to stop trying to dictate our behavior by removing features and putting unnecessary limitations in. Stop telling us how you want us to play the game and let us play how we damn well want.

EDIT: Just a small addition, that I think the fact that you get rewarded for doing well and completing goals is good and should stay, just let us spend the coins on other stuff. No idea what, maybe some exclusive gear for our RB3 characters, or some crazy visual-only powerups or something.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I feel a lot better about the coin system after being surprised with a bonanza of 3000 after playing "A-Punk" yesterday :D. They were slowly dwindling away until I started catching on to some strategy. But then I'm not a grinder by nature and I'm content to explore new songs from my collection.
    edited September 2012
    Everytime I start Blitz Ill play about 10 new songs no power ups. I never have any problems with coins and I played Cult of Personality and Wicker Man for about 4 hours trying to gold star them
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4866612 said:
    So what you're saying is the reward for Gold Starring Stronger, The Wicker Man, and Cult of Personality should be Coins, even though going for those means you're good AND grinding?

That doesn't make sense. With your 'compromise', every CHALLENGING Goal is worthless to everyone, and every Goal is worthless to those who are the hardcore enough to do most of the Goals with their gametime.
    That's why I said coin-neutral instead coin-positive. The reward for gold starring those three songs should be 2500 coins, just like it is right now. I'd like to imagine that only the best of the best can gold star every song every within the first 2 times of playing it (because the first play is usually a net positive for harder songs because of the double coin bonus). So if every gold star is coin neutral (and I thought I got the point across that I'd prefer it being for gold stars but could see them doing it for 5* as well), most hardcore players would still actually lose coins until they get to the point of a gold star, so they still have some use for them. It's just that once they get to the point where they can consistently go for a gold star on a song(which, I would argue, is the point at which they'd actually be challenging the tops of the leaderboards), then they can play as many times as they want for a high score.

Also, I don't think you should get your coins back for choosing to restart a song. No reason I can clearly state at the moment as to why I think that way, but I do. All you have to do is finish the song to get some (if not most) of your coins back. Is that really that hard? Are you really that pressed for time?