Anyone else experiencing this??

CharityDiaryCharityDiary Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
This is perhaps my biggest issue with this game.

Whenever I switch tracks during the small empty space between two notes, I will "miss" a note, and lose my Jackpot =(

Like, there will be a series of notes, and I'll hit one note, switch tracks, then quickly hit the next note. I didn't miss a note or anything... I hit both of the notes! However, the game claims that I "missed" something.

Why is this happening? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    the issue is that you didnt really hit the note or you over hit. Its your issue not an issue with the game
  • CharityDiaryCharityDiary Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    But all of my friends are experiencing this as well. It's like, if I switch too quickly after hitting a note, the game's like, "Nope, you didn't hit that." And I KNOW I did.
  • absol1082absol1082 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    it happens to me too, even whenever i try to time i switches better it will do that. i guess it just something that they might patch over time.
    edited September 2012
    absol1082;4868489 said:
    it happens to me too, even whenever i try to time i switches better it will do that. i guess it just something that they might patch over time.

They probably made it like that so that people would use Synchrony. Even if you hit the note you're switching from AND the note you're switching to, it still misses.
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4868488 said:
    But all of my friends are experiencing this as well. It's like, if I switch too quickly after hitting a note, the game's like, "Nope, you didn't hit that." And I KNOW I did.

the game knows when you hit a note better than you do.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4868492 said:
    the game knows when you hit a note better than you do.

And you know when I hit a note better than I do? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4868494 said:
    And you know when I hit a note better than I do? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

No but the game says you didnt hit the note which means you didnt hit the note. Easy as that.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4868495 said:
    No but the game says you didnt hit the note which means you didnt hit the note. Easy as that.

I KNOW when I hit or miss notes. And so absol1082.

The game simply registers a miss whenever I switch tracks between notes, because I wasn't using Synchrony.
  • Skippy DeluxeSkippy Deluxe Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    The hit window extends quite a bit beyond the end of notes. I'm not sure if the window is actually asymmetrical, but it certainly seems that way sometimes. If you switch tracks too close to the 'end' of a note in the other track, the game will consider the note 'missed' because you had the opportunity to hit it, but didn't. Even if it doesn't look like you can hit it, try anyway. You just have to get used to it.
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4868497 said:
    I KNOW when I hit or miss notes. And so absol1082.

The game simply registers a miss whenever I switch tracks between notes, because I wasn't using Synchrony.

Ive switched many times and kept my streak. You are human you make errors. You missed the note. Dont blame the game for your errors.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    ok, the notes have a hitbox that goes slightly further than the actual notes. to make playing it a little bit easier. It's most likely that when you swap while going into that hitbox (but just beyond the actual note) that it still thinks you need to hit it.

got ninja'd by skippy
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4868500 said:
    Ive switched many times and kept my streak. You are human you make errors. You missed the note. Dont blame the game for your errors.

Your logic is, "Doesn't happen to me, so you're lying."

Everyone else in this thread is supporting my hypothesis. Meanwhile, you and your ego are personally attacking me. So stop.
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4868501 said:
    ok, the notes have a hitbox that goes slightly further than the actual notes. to make playing it a little bit easier. It's most likely that when you swap while going into that hitbox (but just beyond the actual note) that it still thinks you need to hit it.

I've noticed this, kind of... I always thought it was just a calibration problem, although that was very unlikely. I wish you could change the hitboxes so that they took more precision to hit, but you wouldn't miss notes if you switched between them quickly.
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4868502 said:
    Your logic is, "Doesn't happen to me, so you're lying."

Everyone else in this thread is supporting my hypothesis. Meanwhile, you and your ego are personally attacking me. So stop.

The only issues is that YOU are missing the notes. The game isnt going "eh he hit this note but Im not going to count it". And I HAVE switched lanes and broke streak so what you are saying has happened to me but Im the one to blame not the game not the controller not the guy down the street. Me, my fault, my error.
    edited September 2012
    To be a little more helpful, I have found that the best strategy isn't to aim for the gaps between notes (unless they're really big, then go nuts). Rather, time your switches when you're almost right on top of the note in the adjacent lane, then play that note immediately after switching. This avoids the problem of missing notes that it looks like you've already passed.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4868507 said:
    The only issues is that YOU are missing the notes. The game isnt going "eh he hit this note but Im not going to count it". And I HAVE switched lanes and broke streak so what you are saying has happened to me but Im the one to blame not the game not the controller not the guy down the street. Me, my fault, my error.

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. We're not "missing" any notes, the game just registers a miss because of the oversized hit-boxes of the notes. This is probably why Synchrony was put into the game: to remedy this. The only problem is that you don't get many points using it, so it puts you at a disadvantage.

It's fine that you want to blame yourself because you think you're the one making the mistake, but it really is the game's fault. It's not a bug or anything, it's just a flaw in the way the game was designed.
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4868509 said:
    I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. We're not "missing" any notes, the game just registers a miss because of the oversized hit-boxes of the notes. This is probably why Synchrony was put into the game: to remedy this. The only problem is that you don't get many points using it, so it puts you at a disadvantage.
    The hitbox being bigger makes it easier for you to hit them so if you are missing them, again, its your fault. This is not an issue with the game and it wont be patched out because its user error not computer error.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Skippy Deluxe;4868499 said:
    The hit window extends quite a bit beyond the end of notes. I'm not sure if the window is actually asymmetrical, but it certainly seems that way sometimes. If you switch tracks too close to the 'end' of a note in the other track, the game will consider the note 'missed' because you had the opportunity to hit it, but didn't. Even if it doesn't look like you can hit it, try anyway. You just have to get used to it.

Yep, this is what I've written it off to. And I may solve the problem the same way I 'solved' some of my RB3 problems - deliberate miscalibration. Set my calibration numbers such that the hitbox is (1/2)H early (where H is the length of the hitbox), so the note isn't actually in the middle of the hitbox, but at the end of it. Making the game extra-tolerant of early notes and completely intolerant of late notes.
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4868524 said:
    Yep, this is what I've written it off to. And I may solve the problem the same way I 'solved' some of my RB3 problems - deliberate miscalibration. Set my calibration numbers such that the hitbox is (1/2)H early (where H is the length of the hitbox), so the note isn't actually in the middle of the hitbox, but at the end of it. Making the game extra-tolerant of early notes and completely intolerant of late notes.

Yeah, that occurred to me, but I haven't tried it yet. If you do try it, let us all know how it works out. If the note hitboxes really are asymmetrical, I imagine it's a deliberate design decision to make hitting notes on track switches more lenient. Unfortunately it's a double-edged sword that can definitely penalize you if you're not used to the mechanic.
  • JQTNguyenJQTNguyen Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Yup, the hitboxes are definitely asymmetrical. Because of this, when there are two notes that appear at the same time, but on separate lanes, you can hit one, then quickly switch to the other land and hit the other as well, if you are fast enough.
    edited September 2012
    JQTNguyen;4868532 said:
    Yup, the hitboxes are definitely asymmetrical. Because of this, when there are two notes that appear at the same time, but on separate lanes, you can hit one, then quickly switch to the other land and hit the other as well, if you are fast enough.

True, but this doesn't depend on the hitboxes being asymmetrical. It just means they have to be big enough for our frail human hands to pull off the move in the given time. Also, shhhh, you're giving away my Blitz high score secrets!
  • GLASSGHOST0GLASSGHOST0 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4868510 said:
    The hitbox being bigger makes it easier for you to hit them so if you are missing them, again, its your fault. This is not an issue with the game and it wont be patched out because its user error not computer error.

I'm experiencing the same exact thing, and I know 100% that I am not missing notes when I switch tracks and it counts against me. And I think Charity Diary would know seeing as how he's at least in the top 10 best players if not number 1. Maybe you should give yourself more credit rather than believing that the system isn't what's messed up.
    edited September 2012
    GLASSGHOST0;4868559 said:
    I'm experiencing the same exact thing, and I know 100% that I am not missing notes when I switch tracks and it counts against me. And I think Charity Diary would know seeing as how he's at least in the top 10 best players if not number 1. Maybe you should give yourself more credit rather than believing that the system isn't what's messed up.

<3 <3
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    There's a trick to it, and once you pick up what it expects of you, you'll perform better.
    That's my understanding, in any case, as I haven't mastered it myself. But it's clearly a skill than can be learned. It's just not acting like you first expected it to act, or how you yourself would have designed it. That doesn't mean that it's broken, or unfair.
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4868563 said:
    There's a trick to it, and once you pick up what it expects of you, you'll perform better.
    That's my understanding, in any case, as I haven't mastered it myself. But it's clearly a skill than can be learned. It's just not acting like you first expected it to act, or how you yourself would have designed it. That doesn't mean that it's broken, or unfair.

If me and Charity both hold many number 1 spots on the leaderboard, I don't think we need to get better, I think we both have the hang of it.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    GLASSGHOST0;4868559 said:
    yup, like explained above you. you're not missing the notes, but the hitbox. switch later and miss that, or switch earlier and hit the note you "miss"
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    If you have many #1 spots on the leaderboard, then you must have many playthoughs where this doesn't happen. And then, on seemingly random occasions, it does? Hmmm.
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4868563 said:

If a car's steering wheel, when turned left, turns the wheels to the right... sure, you can get used to that.

But it needs to be fixed.

Same situation here.
  • KirksplosionKirksplosion Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Man, some unwarranted hostility in this thread...

Anyway, it's as many others have said - it's understandable to say you haven't missed the note since the gem has already gone well past you, but the hitbox is simply so lenient that it counts it as a missed note. It's not really a flaw in the game, in my opinion. Once I realized this, I started switching lanes at the last possible second, and it's worked out quite well for me (I also love Jackpot, and learning this timing window helped my scores greatly).
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4868569 said:
    If you have many #1 spots on the leaderboard, then you must have many playthoughs where this doesn't happen. And then, on seemingly random occasions, it does? Hmmm.

It happens on every song that I play