What determines how many notes you must hit to increase the multiplier?

iamchris4lifeiamchris4life Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
It nevers seems to be consistent. Sometimes I have to hit many notes to increase the multiplier but sometimes it increases after hitting just a couple notes in succession.

How do I minimize the number of notes I need to hit to increase the multiplier?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    It depends on the number of notes before the checkpoint.
  • iamchris4lifeiamchris4life Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Could you elaborate that?
    edited September 2012
    the more notes before the checkpoint the more notes it takes to level up that track. Its not a constant number not even in the same song.
    edited September 2012
    So it's not dependent on how many note hits you chain together nor your performance in other lanes?
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    None of us know the specific algorithm. All we can say is that "the more notes there are between two checkpoints, the more notes are required to up the multiplier".

The best method to take advantage of this is to hit the most dense part of each instrument between any two gates.
    iamchris4life;4869057 said:
    So it's not dependent on how many note hits you chain together nor your performance in other lanes?

Not really. To an extent, though, in any one track, because if you miss notes or over strike, it gets pushed back, but that's all it does in terms of responding to your performance.
    edited September 2012
    But does it depend on your location between the two checkpoints? www1221's post seems to suggest that. For example, if there is a constant pattern between two checkpoints in one lane, would I be better off trying to increase the multiplier for that lane closer to the 2nd checkpoint or the 1st checkpoint?
    edited September 2012
    iamchris4life;4869076 said:
    But does it depend on your location between the two checkpoints? www1221's post seems to suggest that. For example, if there is a constant pattern between two checkpoints in one lane, would I be better off trying to increase the multiplier for that lane closer to the 2nd checkpoint or the 1st checkpoint?

The number of notes needed to increase a multiplier is constant between any two checkpoints.

If a pattern is constant, it doesn't matter when you hit it, so you'd then decide when to hit it based on the other instruments' density.

But no, between two checkpoints, it is the same throughout.
    edited September 2012
    The number of notes doesnt decrease the closer you are to the gate. If thats what you are asking.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited September 2012
    Are you the iamchris4life?
    edited September 2012
    dog037;4869081 said:

no, I'm atalkingfish. the atalkingfish.
    edited September 2012
    dog037;4869081 said:
    Yeah, I've been trying to get 1st place on TTFAF for a while and that's actually why I made this thread
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    iamchris4life;4869087 said:
    Yeah, I've been trying to get 1st place on TTFAF for a while and that's actually why I made this thread

why? did all your good songs get deleted from your hard drive? :p
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    The number of notes it takes to raise a multiplier is roughly based on this:

(# of notes in a gated section)
    /
    (Some number (I've heard it theorized at the # of parts in the section * 2 or 3) * 3 (for the 3 x limit of increases)

There's some floor for a minimum level of notes you need as well (in my experience, it's at least 4, possibly higher), and if there are notes in a section, it counts as something you need to raise to score usually unless the total number of notes in a section is below some minimum (at least supposedly).

The exact formula? I'm sure someone at HMX knows, but it's not been too obvious outside of what I've mentioned.
  • drfsupercenterdrfsupercenter Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I think the multipliers are incredibly broken when it comes to DLC.

I've had times where there are literally two bass notes before the first checkpoint and that track isn't shown as a "greyed out" one you don't have to play. So it ends up not increasing my multiplier at all since the bass doesn't start until that first checkpoint.

Obviously Harmonix can't program these for every DLC song, but it just seems pretty broken to me.

From what I can tell, they have it set that you don't need to play a certain track to advance the multiplier IF there are no notes at all before the next checkpoint. If there are more than, say, two, it will require it and you'll be unable to boost your multiplier. Exception of the Blitz included songs, but I'm referring to DLC.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Dude I saw you Euphoria invisible 100% video. You're a music game legend!
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2012
    Between each checkpoint:
    - There has to be a minimum of 5 gems to raise the multiplier.
    - You have to be able to raise the multipler at least once.

If there are at least 5 gems we compute how many times you COULD raise the multiplier if you only played that track, and we scale it based on how many active tracks are in that section:
    - 1 track : 3.1x
    - 2 tracks : 6.2x
    etc
    - 5 tracks: 15.5x

Dividing total gems by total multiplier per track between checkpoint gives us multiplier progress per gem.

It should never happen that there are only 2 gems, the track is active, and you can't level it (if you give us a song name we'll check it out).

It CAN happen that there are, for example, 7 notes, in which case you can increase the multiplier +1 but not +2 (because there's a 5 note minimum, but we don't enforce the fact that you can boost the multiplier by 3x between every checkpoint).

Hope that makes sense.
    edited September 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4869502 said:
    If there are at least 5 gems we compute how many times you COULD raise the multiplier if you only played that track, and we scale it based on how many active tracks are in that section:
    - 1 track : 3.1x
    - 2 tracks : 6.2x
    etc
    - 5 tracks: 15.5x

Dividing total gems by total multiplier per track between checkpoint gives us multiplier progress per gem.
    I'm a little confused, could you possibly give one or two sample calculations?
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2012
    Let's say you have two tracks. Track A has 60 notes and track B has 35 notes between two checkpoints.

Since there are two tracks active we use a max multiplier of 6.2 as your target (assuming you play perfectly you could max out both tracks, which adds to 6x, then we add a little breathing room).

So each note on track A you hit would get you 1/60th of the way to 6.2X, or .103x (roughly 10 notes to 1x increase)

Each note on track B you hit would get you 1/35th of the way to 6.2X, or .177X (roughly 5.6 notes per 1X increase)

Now in practice you will spend half your time on track A, hit 30 notes, which works out to around 3X, and half your time on track B, about 17 notes, which also works out to 3X.

So the more lanes you try to play the more forgiving things are, but also the more likely you'll miss notes/ skip sections/ have non-playable parts on the tracks you need, so it works out in the end.
    edited September 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4869502 said:

It should never happen that there are only 2 gems, the track is active, and you can't level it (if you give us a song name we'll check it out).
    Foreplay/Longtime on the PS3. I think after the solo there are like 2 or 3 Vocal gems and you can't increase the multiplier (There are several sections where you can't get 3X accros the board in that song, and I might just have the wrong place).

There's at least one more, including I think 1 Blitz song (I want to say "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", but I'd need to replay it again).

I've encountered it on several songs, though I'll check again just in case I missed that there were more gems.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4870391 said:
    Foreplay/Longtime on the PS3. I think after the solo there are like 2 or 3 Vocal gems and you can't increase the multiplier

I just played this song on the PS3 and was able to increase the vocal level every time the vocal track was active. Not sure what you're talking about.
    edited September 2012
    Magnet;4870434 said:
    I just played this song on the PS3 and was able to increase the vocal level every time the vocal track was active. Not sure what you're talking about.
    I must be missing the notes then.