Avenged Sevenfold DLC From Far In the Future?

drfsupercenterdrfsupercenter Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I think this should say it all.

http://i.imgur.com/gD0gs.jpg

I have my songs sorted by year and for some reason that song is showing as the year 539832622 :p

All the rest of my DLC shows up fine, so I wasn't sure if this was some bug in Blitz, the album cover also doesn't show up like it does in RB2 and RB3.

Comments

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2012
    We have Afterlife..........
    So no.
  • drfsupercenterdrfsupercenter Unsigned
    edited September 2012
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I'm guessing he was answering your question literally, saying the song exists already so it's not actually from the year 539832622. I didn't really get his post either.

Anyway, I believe the metadata for that song is messed up if you have it from the track pack. RB2/3 must have a fix in the game code so that it shows up correctly, but Blitz does not.
    edited September 2012
    That's a bit weird, though. Was that some sort of typo in the track metadata originally that needed to be fixed in RB2/3? (And RB1 as well, I just don't own that one)

I'd figure typos would be expected but that's a pretty wild typo to have a year show up like that, opposed to say "20122" or something.
  • A_Drunken_SmurfA_Drunken_Smurf Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    My initial thought was that it was a SSN, but the highest group number assigned for 539 is currently 71, so that negates that.

Started playing with the number to see if it's a multiple of some common computer numerical errors (16, 32, 1024, 32768, etc) - negative.

Largest divisor seems to be 406 which is a Montana area code, so insignificant.

Afterlife spelled via phone digits is 238375433, couldn't get that matched up.

Original number is divisible by 7, resulting in 77118946.

Original number spells out Jew-tea-nab on a phone.

The mystery lives on..
    edited September 2012
    LOL, you have way too much time on your hands :D

I thought maybe that could have been some sort of joke since it's "afterlife" and they thought it would be funny to have it futuristic? But that can't be right as I'm like 99% sure that song shows up fine in all the other Rock Band titles.

What's the likelihood of a DLC getting corrupted? I can try deleting it and re-downloading it from the marketplace and see if that works... but again, given how the song plays fine and it works fine in RB3, I think it's just some sort of Blitz parsing error...
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Magnet;4869335 said:
    I'm guessing he was answering your question literally, saying the song exists already so it's not actually from the year 539832622. I didn't really get his post either.

Anyway, I believe the metadata for that song is messed up if you have it from the track pack. RB2/3 must have a fix in the game code so that it shows up correctly, but Blitz does not.
    I think he was making a reference to the fact that Afterlife used to show up as 1900 until they patched RB3.

Edit: He wasn't, so nevermind
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    drfsupercenter;4869344 said:
    That's a bit weird, though. Was that some sort of typo in the track metadata originally that needed to be fixed in RB2/3? (And RB1 as well, I just don't own that one)

It was an issue in the track metadata of the version of Afterlife exported from Track Pack 2. The song was unplayable by normal means in RB3 from its launch until the Feb 2011 patch. It could be played by some other circuitous means (starting a goal that includes it; creating a setlist online that includes it then playing that setlist ingame) but normal selection from the song selection menu did not work.

As far as I know it never displayed any issues in RB1 or RB2 (or was that where it was showing up as 1900?). It only started to show serious issues in RB3 (and now again in Blitz). It's rated SR so it wasn't playable in Lego.

It appears to have a year number of "0" in Blitz for me. On PS3.
    edited September 2012
    Ah yeah, I did get it with Track Pack 2, it's been a while so I wasn't sure.

That's really bizarre. I almost want to buy the standalone song and see if that shows up properly, but then I'd have two? Or is the game smart enough to detect duplicates?

You'd think Harmonix would just fix the DLC package itself rather than issuing all these game patches, LOL...
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    drfsupercenter;4869451 said:
    Ah yeah, I did get it with Track Pack 2, it's been a while so I wasn't sure.

That's really bizarre. I almost want to buy the standalone song and see if that shows up properly, but then I'd have two? Or is the game smart enough to detect duplicates?
    Yes and no. You'd have two songs sitting on your hard drive that both independently count toward the song limit (which is astronomically large in Blitz, but people are starting to run into it for RB3). The game will indeed only display one of them.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard about this bizarre sorting happening with the single version.
    You'd think Harmonix would just fix the DLC package itself rather than issuing all these game patches, LOL...

It's not really that big a deal, is it? So a song has the wrong year. It still plays just fine, and that's all that really matters.
  • FieryMurphManFieryMurphMan Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Is there anyone else finding humor in the fact that this is referencing a year that is RIDICULOUSLY far ahead in the future (and exsiting LONG after I've passed, my kids have past, my great great great great x112 greats kids have passed) and the song title in question is titled "Afterlife"? Lol. Anyone?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    edited September 2012
    Yes and no. You'd have two songs sitting on your hard drive that both independently count toward the song limit (which is astronomically large in Blitz, but people are starting to run into it for RB3). The game will indeed only display one of them.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard about this bizarre sorting happening with the single version.
    I didn't realize RB3 had a song limit, you'd think that someone could own a copy of every song available for purchase and it would work :P

What I'd like to know is, which one would show up in the list, the single version or the pack version? I can't really delete a song from an export pack and I am not going to buy all 20 of those just because one is screwed up.
    It's not really that big a deal, is it? So a song has the wrong year. It still plays just fine, and that's all that really matters.
    It's not. I was mainly just wondering why the heck that was happening, since I was rather surprised to see something show as a rediculously huge number like that. And as I mentioned, the album art also doesn't show up, so there may be something else screwed up in the metadata.
    Is there anyone else finding humor in the fact that this is referencing a year that is RIDICULOUSLY far ahead in the future (and exsiting LONG after I've passed, my kids have past, my great great great great x112 greats kids have passed) and the song title in question is titled "Afterlife"? Lol. Anyone?
    Yep. That's why I thought maybe that was intentional and some sort of a joke.

Anyway, my own two cents, being a tech guru... I think that since RB2 and whatnot show the song as 1900 and PS3 version of Blitz shows it as "0" (I have the Xbox Live version), the metadata is either missing or set to 0 for the year. RB2 would likely have 19xx as the default, similar to how early 90s computers were.

So that just makes me wonder what the heck Blitz is doing. It's not even like some sort of hex number, is it? If it was showing as 255, 65565 or so on, I'd just assume that the years were converted to hex and having a "0" or null value overloaded it. But this is just odd.
    Any of the Harmonix devs want to shed some light as to why it's doing that? :P
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I assumed it was a power of 2, but it's not. The year in hexadecimal is 202D3139, but I doubt that means anything.
  • edited September 2012

The issue isn't with the DLC package it's with the file data for Afterlife from the TP2 export, which is why it hasn't been addressed previously. There was a similar issue with an RB3 goal including Afterlife, which we were able to address in an RB3 title update. Since we don't have any plans for a title update for Blitz at the moment, and due to the rather limited number of people playing Afterlife from TP2 and the fact that it's a relatively minor sorting issue it's not a high priority fix.

Interesting sorting for sure, but it's one track out of 3,900 and it doesn't affect gameplay so it's good for a chuckle more than anything else.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    Honestly I'm shocked that it didn't default to 1970 like most programming defaults typically default to, which makes me think that somebody accidentally wrote it in TP2 as a year that doesn't exist yet, such as 20111 or something like that, and whatever coding used to sort dates (possibly hexadecimal) misread it as some ridiculous number, while RB3 simply defaulted to 1900
    edited September 2012
    drfsupercenter;4869610 said:
    I didn't realize RB3 had a song limit, you'd think that someone could own a copy of every song available for purchase and it would work :P
    On PS3 and Wii, that's still the case. Xbox, which gets all RBN, is well past the single-machine song limit for RB3. The song limit is 2,952 songs (basically 3,000, but it's like hard drives -- mine is 250GB but only 232 of them are actually usable). We don't know the exact number for Blitz, because it's so absurdly high -- one of the devs (HMXMister_Game, I think) said it's approximately twice the number for RB3.
    drfsupercenter;4869610 said:
    What I'd like to know is, which one would show up in the list, the single version or the pack version? I can't really delete a song from an export pack and I am not going to buy all 20 of those just because one is screwed up.
    I dunno. If you wanna spend the $2 to find out, be my guest. If you wanted to, you could delete the TP2 export and then redownload it later.
    hmxhenry;4869660 said:
    Interesting sorting for sure, but it's one track out of 3,900 and it doesn't affect gameplay so it's good for a chuckle more than anything else.
    Yep, that's how I see it too.
    hmxhenry;4869660 said:
    The issue isn't with the DLC package it's with the file data for Afterlife from the TP2 export, which is why it hasn't been addressed previously. There was a similar issue with an RB3 goal including Afterlife, which we were able to address in an RB3 title update. Since we don't have any plans for a title update for Blitz at the moment, and due to the rather limited number of people playing Afterlife from TP2 and the fact that it's a relatively minor sorting issue it's not a high priority fix.
    Now that surprises me a little. I would have figured the TP's would be hot sellers, both to the "I'm not giving a machine my credit card number!!!!" crowd and to the "20 songs for 9 bucks, schweeet!!!!" crowd.

Also it blows my mind a little that you guys even know that. You can tell if someone's playing a song from a pack or a single download? Or are you just going off sales numbers/download numbers?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4869765 said:

Now that surprises me a little. I would have figured the TP's would be hot sellers, both to the "I'm not giving a machine my credit card number!!!!" crowd and to the "20 songs for 9 bucks, schweeet!!!!" crowd.

availability outside US = not so good. so that might have something to do with it.

and some people only want 5 songs from the pack, suck at math, and buy them as singles
    edited September 2012
    Heh. I bought all track packs for both PS3 and Xbox (except Classic Rock on PS3, since I already had more than half the songs, and Country TP2 on Xbox, because yeah). Too good a deal to pass up. Sure I could do without "Girl U Want" and "TWANG," for starters, but there's several songs on each and every one that I never would have thought to download individually and am very happy to have in my library.
  • edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4869765 said:

Also it blows my mind a little that you guys even know that. You can tell if someone's playing a song from a pack or a single download? Or are you just going off sales numbers/download numbers?

That estimate is based off a combination of sales, the average export rate based off those sales (you'd be shocked how many people bought the track packs just to play those songs on disc) and previous support tickets submitted for issues with Afterlife in RB3. Add that all up, and figure in that maybe only 3-5 people have flagged this to us in Blitz so far, and it adds up to a "nice to fix if we're able to easily fix" but not "drop everything and fix this widespread game breaking thing!" type of issue.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4869666 said:
    Honestly I'm shocked that it didn't default to 1970 like most programming defaults typically default to

A game that includes music from the 1960s (so the legends say) isn't a good candidate to use a datetime format that uses Jan 1 1970 as its zero point.
    edited September 2012
    Hmm, well that's interesting.

Being a geek, I copied the Track Pack 2 export file to a flash drive and extracted the contents on my computer (won't say how I did it for copyright reasons)

It appears most of the songs in that track pack have a year specified! Looking at the "master song list" that every DLC has, I don't see a year_released for:

It Hurts
    Afterlife
    Call Me
    Just What I Needed
    Indestructible
    This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
    Why Do You Love Me?
    You've Got Another Thing Comin'
    Simple Man
    Girls Who Play Guitars
    Saints of Los Angeles
    The Perfect Drug
    Zero
    El Scorcho

So that's basically the majority that don't have a year... odd... so why is Afterlife the only one from Track Pack 2 that's acting up?

I also see some interesting liner notes such as:

; WEEK 21 - $.99 HARMONIX BANDS (was OXM COVER MOUNT in Feb 08 issue)
    So even though it's a track pack, that made it in? (And with no year, might I add!)

Interesting stuff. I'd love to have a discussion with any of the Harmonix people (or anyone else who knows how the DTA coding works) about how the game interprets the data, just because I'm a programmer myself and find this sort of thing fascinating. ;)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4869820 said:
    (you'd be shocked how many people bought the track packs just to play those songs on disc)
    My friend has Track Pack Volume 2, didn't know it exported, and when I explained it, asked, "Why not just switch if I want those songs?"

Christ. Some people.
    edited September 2012
    Hahahahah that's a good one

I bought all the track packs just FOR the export codes, I think my discs are sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust if I haven't already sold them to GameStop.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4869948 said:
    A game that includes music from the 1960s (so the legends say) isn't a good candidate to use a datetime format that uses Jan 1 1970 as its zero point.

Well, January 1st, 1970 is day zero in Unix time, and that's what the songs on this site default to if a date hasn't been inputted
    edited September 2012
    No replies from the Harmonix crew yet? Am I not supposed to know their little secret about metadata files? :o
  • edited September 2012
    drfsupercenter;4870645 said:
    No replies from the Harmonix crew yet? Am I not supposed to know their little secret about metadata files? :o

It's not something that we discuss openly, and since you're already aware that it's a sensitive copyright issue you should have your answer why.

Lots of other things to track, still reeling from Blitz launch and PAX, so diving into a metadata issue for how one song from a track pack sorts isn't a high priority for discussion. Sorry!
  • ToothballToothball Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    My copy lists it as being from the year 1953705833. Noticed just this morning it was from Track Pack 2 so figured it had something to do with that. Figured it'd get updated eventually.

I did play it just in case it counted towards the 'Play a song from all decades' achievement though.