Coin Economy Tweaks

edited November 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Hey gang,

We’ve been monitoring all the feedback we’ve gotten since the launch of Rock Band Blitz (via Forums/Twitter/Facebook/etc) and, based on that, we’re making some tweaks to our coin economy in the game today.

Here’s what’s new:
  • Cost of Power-ups:
    [LIST]
  • Overdrive Power-ups: 250 coins per use
  • Note Power-ups: 200 coins per use.
  • Track Power-ups: 100 coins per use.
  • (note: it now only costs 550 coins for a full Power-up loadout!)
[/LIST]
  • Song Performance Coin Rewards:
    [LIST]
  • At the end of a song, you now get 100 Coins per Star across the board.
[/LIST]
  • Score Wars:
    [LIST]
  • Winners of Score Wars will now be receiving 1500 coins at completion.
  • Losers of Score Wars will now be receiving 500 coins at completion.
[/LIST]

I, of course, would be remiss for not again mentioning Rock Band World as a great (and even fun!) option for earning even more coins for use in Rock Band Blitz. But, we of course understand that some folks don't want to use Facebook, so these tweaks should help make those players out.

Note that this won’t require a patch or anything, as we’re able to make these changes server-side. We’ll continue to keep an eye on your feedback in the coming days and weeks, so let us know what you think!

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    Doubling the coins for Score wars. I LIKE IT
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    as if i didn't have enough coins already :p
    edited September 2012
    when can we expect these changes to happen?
  • edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869612 said:
    when can we expect these changes to happen?
    Word is, RIGHT NOW.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Glad to hear about the changes! I now don't feel like I'm being punished for playing songs with a lesser difficulty rating.
    edited September 2012
    HMXPope;4869616 said:
    Word is, RIGHT NOW.

le gasp!
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Sweet! a gold star will now put you in the positive which is great news. and 5 stars will not be so punishing. Hate to be asking already but is it possible to lessen the punishment for restarting a song or is that not going to happen? e.g. give half of your coins back or something.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    kitlerc;4869618 said:
    Glad to hear about the changes! I now don't feel like I'm being punished for playing songs with a lesser difficulty rating.

This. I had been kinda avoiding playing easy songs for that reason, and now I don't have to.

And now the people going for high scores shouldn't need to worry, as 5* only loses 50 coins and gold stars earn 50, no matter the difficulty.
    edited September 2012
    HMXPope;4869616 said:
    Word is, RIGHT NOW.

I can confirm this!

SO MANY COINS FOR SCORE WARS. NOW SEND ME ALL THE SCORE WARS
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4869627 said:
    I can confirm this!

SO MANY COINS FOR SCORE WARS. NOW SEND ME ALL THE SCORE WARS

Dare i send you one for CoP?
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    metalkorn;4869629 said:

Send one for the RBN Megamix. Make everybody hate you!
    edited September 2012
    metalkorn;4869629 said:

Go ahead. Played the song close to 60 times and I still love it
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4869634 said:
    Go ahead. Played the song close to 60 times and I still love it

So do I.
  • A_Drunken_SmurfA_Drunken_Smurf Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Awesome changes guys - thank you for listening to the community and striking a balance. This will make running with Powerups much less daunting, and more fun, regardless of song difficulty.

I dare-say this will actually cause a little glut of coins once you throw in the facebook goals, but I'd be lynched by everyone else here if I did, so I'll shut up.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2012
    This will mean a total end to the grinding. Biggest loss per song seems to be 150 (unless you're really bad at the game). Usually, playing a song would lose you 50 coins (assuming the usual result over all the songs played by everyone is 5 stars). One 1000 coin goal completed lets you play 20 songs.

The Score Wars payout can easily be farmed by two people working together to get a ton of coins. Even if you don't have facebook you can farm the score wars for an easy 900 (no power-ups, 4 stars). My conclusion is that people are going to start amassing a crapload of coins.
    edited September 2012
    just played 2 songs in a row, gold stars on both, and i only got 300 coins for each? (well 600 for first time play but yeah)

didnt start up the game till after this thread started.
  • grace_pressuregrace_pressure Opening Act
    edited September 2012
  • TheRealCrunchewyTheRealCrunchewy Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I wish the Rock Band World Facebook app worked in Safari and, especially, on iPad/iPhone. Any plans to fix that? Also I really wish I could see important details like progress on goals from within the game. Weird that you can't.
    edited September 2012
    TheRealCrunchewy;4869651 said:
    I wish the Rock Band World Facebook app worked in Safari and, especially, on iPad/iPhone. Any plans to fix that? Also I really wish I could see important details like progress on goals from within the game. Weird that you can't.

It worked fine on my iPad
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869646 said:
    just played 2 songs in a row, gold stars on both, and i only got 300 coins for each? (well 600 for first time play but yeah)

didnt start up the game till after this thread started.

again on a 3rd song after i restarted the game, difficulty of the song doesn't matter anymore, played an impossible song and the easiest one available. so that part works.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2012
    You guys are the 1%, though. We've been looking at the player population as a whole.

It's an interesting problem, because more coins means more powerup usage which means more stars which means more coins. FEEDBACK LOOP.

It's not out of the question that we'll tweak again in a week or two. Just saying, this is part of an ongoing process.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869654 said:
    again on a 3rd song after i restarted the game, difficulty of the song doesn't matter anymore, played an impossible song and the easiest one available. so that part works.

We're looking into this. We have a bunch of servers it may still be rolling out. Try logging out and back in.
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869654 said:

Yep I just played My Name is Jonas got gold on it and only got 300 coins. All other changes are working though
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2012
    I'm happy with the changes. I don't like the idea of running out of coins in the future.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    This seems to be what [most of] the people wanted, so, OK. It's pretty exciting that these kind of changes can be made to the game, on the fly. And I'm glad to see that it's "an ongoing process".
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I stand corrected. I did not think you'd be able to change these things without a patch - I thought the only tweaks you'd be able to make are RBW/facebook rewards. Bravo.

Equal reward across the board by difficulty is nice... but I would kinda like rewards to be proportional to song length. When trying to earn up coins, I don't like that I'm pulled towards shorter songs because they're far more efficient at getting coins up, and this won't change that.

Unclear: do score wars that the other side does not play (forfeit/lapses) give you the win coins, or no coins? I don't monitor my coinbook closely enough to be able to detect that from the forfeits I've seen so far.

Score war doubling: Does it effect score wars that have already begun but will finish after the change, or only score wars begun after the change?
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I've been getting only 250 coins on 5 starred songs and none of the songs I've played are being added to my goals (All 7 Boston songs, All American Rejects, Disturbed, etc)
  • KnottyMarieKnottyMarie Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    How about a fix to Rock Band World, so that random friends cannot join your goal without an invite? When can we see something like this?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4869667 said:
    I stand corrected. I did not think you'd be able to change these things without a patch - I thought the only tweaks you'd be able to make are RBW/facebook rewards. Bravo.
    Remember, all the Coin and Cred data comes from the servers, which is why it vanishes offline.

Now the forums is conflicted, because Coins are better, but online requirement is still the devil.