Coin Economy Tweaks

edited November 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Hey gang,

We’ve been monitoring all the feedback we’ve gotten since the launch of Rock Band Blitz (via Forums/Twitter/Facebook/etc) and, based on that, we’re making some tweaks to our coin economy in the game today.

Here’s what’s new:
  • Cost of Power-ups:
    [LIST]
  • Overdrive Power-ups: 250 coins per use
  • Note Power-ups: 200 coins per use.
  • Track Power-ups: 100 coins per use.
  • (note: it now only costs 550 coins for a full Power-up loadout!)
[/LIST]
  • Song Performance Coin Rewards:
    [LIST]
  • At the end of a song, you now get 100 Coins per Star across the board.
[/LIST]
  • Score Wars:
    [LIST]
  • Winners of Score Wars will now be receiving 1500 coins at completion.
  • Losers of Score Wars will now be receiving 500 coins at completion.
[/LIST]

I, of course, would be remiss for not again mentioning Rock Band World as a great (and even fun!) option for earning even more coins for use in Rock Band Blitz. But, we of course understand that some folks don't want to use Facebook, so these tweaks should help make those players out.

Note that this won’t require a patch or anything, as we’re able to make these changes server-side. We’ll continue to keep an eye on your feedback in the coming days and weeks, so let us know what you think!

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    just played 2 songs in a row, gold stars on both, and i only got 300 coins for each? (well 600 for first time play but yeah)

didnt start up the game till after this thread started.
  • grace_pressuregrace_pressure Opening Act
    edited September 2012
  • TheRealCrunchewyTheRealCrunchewy Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I wish the Rock Band World Facebook app worked in Safari and, especially, on iPad/iPhone. Any plans to fix that? Also I really wish I could see important details like progress on goals from within the game. Weird that you can't.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    TheRealCrunchewy;4869651 said:
    I wish the Rock Band World Facebook app worked in Safari and, especially, on iPad/iPhone. Any plans to fix that? Also I really wish I could see important details like progress on goals from within the game. Weird that you can't.

It worked fine on my iPad
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869646 said:
    just played 2 songs in a row, gold stars on both, and i only got 300 coins for each? (well 600 for first time play but yeah)

didnt start up the game till after this thread started.

again on a 3rd song after i restarted the game, difficulty of the song doesn't matter anymore, played an impossible song and the easiest one available. so that part works.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited September 2012
    You guys are the 1%, though. We've been looking at the player population as a whole.

It's an interesting problem, because more coins means more powerup usage which means more stars which means more coins. FEEDBACK LOOP.

It's not out of the question that we'll tweak again in a week or two. Just saying, this is part of an ongoing process.
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869654 said:
    again on a 3rd song after i restarted the game, difficulty of the song doesn't matter anymore, played an impossible song and the easiest one available. so that part works.

We're looking into this. We have a bunch of servers it may still be rolling out. Try logging out and back in.
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869654 said:

Yep I just played My Name is Jonas got gold on it and only got 300 coins. All other changes are working though
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2012
    I'm happy with the changes. I don't like the idea of running out of coins in the future.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    This seems to be what [most of] the people wanted, so, OK. It's pretty exciting that these kind of changes can be made to the game, on the fly. And I'm glad to see that it's "an ongoing process".
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I stand corrected. I did not think you'd be able to change these things without a patch - I thought the only tweaks you'd be able to make are RBW/facebook rewards. Bravo.

Equal reward across the board by difficulty is nice... but I would kinda like rewards to be proportional to song length. When trying to earn up coins, I don't like that I'm pulled towards shorter songs because they're far more efficient at getting coins up, and this won't change that.

Unclear: do score wars that the other side does not play (forfeit/lapses) give you the win coins, or no coins? I don't monitor my coinbook closely enough to be able to detect that from the forfeits I've seen so far.

Score war doubling: Does it effect score wars that have already begun but will finish after the change, or only score wars begun after the change?
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I've been getting only 250 coins on 5 starred songs and none of the songs I've played are being added to my goals (All 7 Boston songs, All American Rejects, Disturbed, etc)
  • KnottyMarieKnottyMarie Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    How about a fix to Rock Band World, so that random friends cannot join your goal without an invite? When can we see something like this?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4869667 said:
    I stand corrected. I did not think you'd be able to change these things without a patch - I thought the only tweaks you'd be able to make are RBW/facebook rewards. Bravo.
    Remember, all the Coin and Cred data comes from the servers, which is why it vanishes offline.

Now the forums is conflicted, because Coins are better, but online requirement is still the devil.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I approve of those changes, no more have to grind every goal to have enough coins.
    edited September 2012

Equal reward across the board by difficulty is nice... but I would kinda like rewards to be proportional to song length. When trying to earn up coins, I don't like that I'm pulled towards shorter songs because they're far more efficient at getting coins up, and this won't change that.

Unclear: do score wars that the other side does not play (forfeit/lapses) give you the win coins, or no coins? I don't monitor my coinbook closely enough to be able to detect that from the forfeits I've seen so far.

Score war doubling: Does it effect score wars that have already begun but will finish after the change, or only score wars begun after the change?

I have yet to complete a Score War. I can confirm that, when the other person never plays your challenge song, you get zero points when it expires 3 days later.
    edited September 2012
    KnottyMarie;4869674 said:
    How about a fix to Rock Band World, so that random friends cannot join your goal without an invite? When can we see something like this?
    HMXMister_Game;4869493 said:
    We discovered a bug with the way your friend's groups were being displayed. Right now, a group only appears on the join page if your friend is the leader. We have a fix in the works that should be deployed shortly (today?) that shows all groups with even one friend in it.

This should fix the case where you get invited to a goal and don't see the group of the friend that invited you.

We're also adding a "Leave Goal" button, so that if you do accidentally join a goal and your friends are also already playing in a different group, you can quit the goal and join their group. You lose all your progress, but at least you don't have to wait a week to start a new goal.
    Meat-Popsicle;4869679 said:
    I have yet to complete a Score War. I can confirm that, when the other person never plays your challenge song, you get zero points when it expires 3 days later.
    You still get the coins if you never even tough the score war. Which is one of the reason why I tell people never to decline a score war
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2012
    These are pretty much exactly the changes I wanted to see in the coin system. My favorite change is the song performance award being the same across all band tiers now. I'm glad that I won't be deterred from playing low tier songs anymore.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4869655 said:
    It's an interesting problem, because more coins means more powerup usage which means more stars which means more coins. FEEDBACK LOOP.

Well you got 2 options from what I see;

1) Increase coin return in-game. PRO: Non-Facebook people happy. CON: Goals mean less.
    2) Decrease coin return in-game. PRO: Goals mean something. CON: Non-facebook people unhappy.

From what I've seen so far, you will probably return to option 2 once enough Facebook people say they have too many coins and don't have anything to do with them.

The only other option is to patch blitz to work "correctly" without Facebook, which I'll give a less than 1% chance of happening.

Either way... Good Luck with that!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Magnet;4869690 said:
    I'm glad that I won't be deterred from playing low tier songs anymore.

Now 'long songs' is the primary deterrent.

Why would I play the full 2112 when playing its three separate parts in sequence would be three times as profitable?
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4869695 said:

Why would I play the full 2112 when playing its three separate parts in sequence would be three times as profitable?

Career score?
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    ghostofjarjar;4869669 said:
    I've been getting only 250 coins on 5 starred songs and none of the songs I've played are being added to my goals (All 7 Boston songs, All American Rejects, Disturbed, etc)
    Never mind, all is well now :D
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4869686 said:
    You still get the coins if you never even tough the score war. Which is one of the reason why I tell people never to decline a score war

I'm 0-0 in Score Wars. The one time I received a challenge, it was for a song I didn't own and was unwilling to buy. The two times I sent out a challenge (a random song to a random person, which is all I can do), it was ignored and it expired with no coins rewarded. I'll send in a screen grab if this is not something that others have seen.
    edited September 2012
    Blasteroids;4869691 said:
    Well you got 2 options from what I see;

1) Increase coin return in-game. PRO: Non-Facebook people happy. CON: Goals mean less.
    2) Decrease coin return in-game. PRO: Goals mean something. CON: Non-facebook people unhappy.

From what I've seen so far, you will probably return to option 2 once enough Facebook people say they have too many coins and don't have anything to do with them.

The only other option is to patch blitz to work "correctly" without Facebook, which I'll give a less than 1% chance of happening.

Either way... Good Luck with that!

or maybe find other ways to let people spend coins

completely random example, for 500.000 coins someone could make a goal on rock band world (that stays up for a week or so, max. 5 songs or something etc.) for everyone. people with loads of coins would be happy, people without coins have an extra goal.
  • edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4869695 said:

Because it's an awesome song thats better played in full without breaks and you don't need rewards for everything you do?
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the change, Harmonix. This definitely eases my thoughts on the coin economy and I can comfortably play old songs I want to gold star again

Hotfixes, man. Gotta love hotfixes

Since it's only a feature that works while you play online, it is possible to adjust that part of the game without the need of updating everybody's game since coin distribution was (probably) never coded into the actual download itself
    jibjqrkl;4869701 said:
    or maybe find other ways to let people spend coins

completely random example, for 500.000 coins someone could make a goal on rock band world (that stays up for a week or so, max. 5 songs or something etc.) for everyone. people with loads of coins would be happy, people without coins have an extra goal.
    That could work. I would also love it if coins could be spent on cosmetic features in-game, if for nothing else than to make my experience with the game unique. That would be a really cool feature
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4869700 said:
    I'm 0-0 in Score Wars. The one time I received a challenge, it was for a song I didn't own and was unwilling to buy. The two times I sent out a challenge (a random song to a random person, which is all I can do), it was ignored and it expired with no coins rewarded. I'll send in a screen grab if this is not something that others have seen.

There is no screen that is like "Hey you won here is 750 coins". This was talked about on Twitter when Nord was getting bombed with challenges.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4869701 said:
    or maybe find other ways to let people spend coins.

Well let's hope they do.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Blasteroids;4869691 said:

I'd like to see them add aesthetic changes that you can spend coins on, like a different background, colored effects, etc. Something that's a topical money dump wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if it ends up people are swimming in coins a la Scrooge McDuck.

Side question: Are the devs capable of adding powerups in the future without a title update? Or is it safe to assume that what we have now is it? (until a hypothetical Blitz 2 or expansion of some sort)

Edit: Thanks for the ninja jibs and Riles.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4869708 said:
    There is no screen that is like "Hey you won here is 750 coins". This was talked about on Twitter when Nord was getting bombed with challenges.
    You should have an inbox message for each challenge that tells you what happened: won, lost, or declined.