Let's talk about point-and-click adventure games

horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I've been playing point-and-click adventures since I was 3 and the only video games I knew were Pajama Sam and Freddie Fish. They're definitely my second-favorite genre of games (first being rhythm \m/). Any good recommendations for point-and-click adventures? Here are the ones I've played and I love each one.

-Pajama Sam
-Freddie Fish
-Spy Fox
-Putt-Putt
-Secret of Monkey Island (currently playing through it)
-Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
-Machinarium (this and the two below don't have the same humorous tone as most point-and clickers, but they're all beautiful)
-Botanicula
-Samorost
-Sam & Max (captures the tone of the comics perfectly)
-Windosill (definitely the shortest, but one of the nicest looking ones on the list)
-Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Any other good ones that I might have missed? Any free ones online worth playing?

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2012
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE
    Pajama Sam ROCKED!
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    - Zac McKraken (and the Alien Mindbenders)
    - Kings Quest series
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is a great one.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Any good ones from the last few years that aren't made by Telltale or Amanita?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    the Myst series has some great games in it.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Indiana Jones and the last crusade followed the movie pretty well and was a blast to play :D

Also:
    -Maniac Mansion
    -The Green Tentacle.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4870471 said:
    the Myst series has some great games in it.

Yeah, Riven kicked my butt for awhile. The puzzles were very intertwined and not necessarily intuitive either.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Yeah I loved Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, and Putt-Putt. Humongous was a great company.
    edited September 2012
    I was really bummed when I found out the most recent Sam & Max was not available on XBL. I don't wanna play it on the iPad!
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    I don't know about any of that but I am selling these fine leather jackets.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I used to play Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders on my old C64. I still have the Zak McKraken hint book that I ordered away for. I got stuck on one of the Mars puzzles. Such a great game.

I also played both Dark Seed games which I loved because they were based on HR Giger's artwork.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited September 2012
    I played Pajama Sam and Freddie Fish ALL THE TIME.
    edited September 2012
    So I started reading the Walking Dead and I'm really enjoying it. How is the game?
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Dude I loved those Humungous Entertainment games. Except maybe that 4th Pajama Sam. Never really played any other point and clicks, although I have thought about getting Strong Bad's Cool Game Blah Blah Blah for a couple years.
    edited September 2012
    GandWuser;4872895 said:
    Dude I loved those Humungous Entertainment games. Except maybe that 4th Pajama Sam. Never really played any other point and clicks, although I have thought about getting Strong Bad's Cool Game Blah Blah Blah for a couple years.

The 4th one SUCKED. Everything about it was terrible. The voice acting, the aesthetic, the story, the singing, it was just overall unlikable. Pajama Sam is and forever will be the original trilogy. Unless Telltale picks it up. That would be amazing.
  • edited September 2012
    Any p&c by Lucasarts is well worth playing. Most of them have been mentioned in here already, although I haven't seen The Dig or Loom yet, which are both excellent.

The Simon the Sorcerer and Kyrandia games and Beneath a Steel Sky are great too.

(all of the games mentioned here are ancient, mind you)
    edited September 2012
    So I decided to do some research on what's been going on with Humongous Entertainment, and apparently they still exist, though they only really do the Backyard Sports series, none of which I've actually never played. And some company published 5 of their p&c games for iOS, though the only Pajama Sam game they ported was #2. And they didn't port any of the Spy Fox games!

I also learned that Humongous made some Blue's Clues p&cs, one of which I played a LOT. I wonder if it's aged well, though, because Blue's Clues has not, although Humongous' games have.

Also, apparently the voice of Pajama Sam was also the voice for Bobby on King of the Hill, but what blows my mind even more is that the voice actress is Pamela Aldon, the producer for Louie and the actress that plays Pam! That shocked me more than it should have.
    edited September 2012
    horsepastriesa;4873272 said:
    So I decided to do some research on what's been going on with Humongous Entertainment, and apparently they still exist, though they only really do the Backyard Sports series, none of which I've actually never played. And some company published 5 of their p&c games for iOS, though the only Pajama Sam game they ported was #2. And they didn't port any of the Spy Fox games!

I also learned that Humongous made some Blue's Clues p&cs, one of which I played a LOT. I wonder if it's aged well, though, because Blue's Clues has not, although Humongous' games have.

Also, apparently the voice of Pajama Sam was also the voice for Bobby on King of the Hill, but what blows my mind even more is that the voice actress is Pamela Aldon, the producer for Louie and the actress that plays Pam! That shocked me more than it should have.
    Oh yeah, I had those Blue's Clues games too. There was one where you had to figure out what Blue wanted for her birthday, and that came with 2 disks and 4 scenarios. There was also another one where everyone was like at a school or something and you made arts and crafts or something.

And Sam's voice actress also did a voice on Recess, if you ever saw that. Can't really remember her character's name, but it began with an S. This was something I figured out on my own.
    edited September 2012
    Der_Lex;4873221 said:
    Any p&c by Lucasarts is well worth playing.

Oh, yeah, that reminds me, I keep meaning to look for a copy of Grim Fandango (never played it, but it's been recommended to me before).
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    GandWuser;4875095 said:
    Oh yeah, I had those Blue's Clues games too. There was one where you had to figure out what Blue wanted for her birthday, and that came with 2 disks and 4 scenarios. There was also another one where everyone was like at a school or something and you made arts and crafts or something.

And Sam's voice actress also did a voice on Recess, if you ever saw that. Can't really remember her character's name, but it began with an S. This was something I figured out on my own.

Spenelli? The tough black haired girl with short ponytails? I think the Kindergardeners called her "Spanooti" in the episode where she became their queen.
    edited September 2012
    Bulzeeb;4877703 said:
    Spenelli? The tough black haired girl with short ponytails? I think the Kindergardeners called her "Spanooti" in the episode where she became their queen.
    Yeah her. I wasn't sure how it was spelled.
    edited September 2012
    Here's a really cool version of the Zak McKracken main theme, for anyone who remembers it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUWSxfYrg0
  • edited September 2012
    I still can't believe I beat that game without a walkthrough when I was a kid. That 'jail' where you ended up if you messed up was annoying though, almost worse than the deaths in Sierra games.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Der_Lex;4880396 said:
    almost worse than the deaths in Sierra games.

lol, Sierra games... (black cauldron, King Quests and Space Quests...)
    edited September 2012
    Der_Lex;4880396 said:
    That 'jail' where you ended up if you messed up was annoying though

I can't remember how you were supposed to get out of the jail. I remember the long speech about piracy but I don't remember how I got out. Load an early save?
    edited September 2012
    So a few days ago Telltale announced that they're remaking King's Quest into an episodic series!