Welcome Home Gold Stars

decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
This is absolutely driving me up the wall. What is the best combination of power ups for this? I simply cannot do it with Jackpot, Flame Notes and Super Guitar. Tips?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I came just shy on my first run using the above combo. Jackpot might be useful for the final guitar sustains though.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    I think I actually GSed this one. With Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar. All the same, you can make Jackpot work too.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    As soon as the coin tweak came through, I went from never using powerups and hoarding coins to using Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar on everything and ever since have only missed Gold Stars on a couple songs that I REALLY screwed up. Occasionally I might change up Super Guitar, but only in really obvious cases. This seems to be the best general combo for people who might not be the best technical players, because you're not really forced to keep your combo to any significant degree without Jackpot, and Blast Notes can rack up a TON of points, even if you break your combo to get to them. Trading off Blitz bonus points for more Blast Notes seems to be a really safe bet on most typical songs.

I haven't played Welcome Home yet myself but I'm not surprised to hear people have done it with the above combo.
  • insomniacdudeinsomniacdude Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I've played close to 200 unique songs and have gold-starred something like 150-170 of them. On Welcome Home, I have about 490,000 points and I'm ranked 21 on XBL according to RBW on Facebook. And I STILL DON'T HAVE GOLD STARS on Welcome Home. I've been trying Road Rage/Blast/Super guitar. I'm wondering if Super Drums might be better with road rage since the drums are much more active in the final checkpoints after the guitar solo. If that doesn't work, than I'm convinced jackpot/super guitar is the way to go.
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I'm starting to wonder if this is possible. I had a virtually perfect run: managed my Road Rage correctly, FCd the solo, exited Blitz mode maybe twice, hit close to every blast note, and still just 470k.
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, it's really interesting how a few songs seem to be strangely difficult to Gold Star. I wonder what exactly it is that causes it. I noticed, for instance, that I didn't get Gold Stars on Roam by the B-52's until almost the very end of the song, and for most songs when I played similarly well I would have Gold Stars well in hand. On some songs it seems like I get Gold a little over halfway through. It would be interesting to identify what exactly it is that causes the formula to give a different result on certain songs.
  • Iceman71421Iceman71421 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    OBV, Its the solo and checkpoint modifiers that are stopping you from GSing. The chart for Welcome Home was designed 5 + years ago. They didnt know at that point that the song would be put into another game along with every other song from the subsequent 5 years. Blitz is pretty much a (hodge podge) , (we'll see how it sorts out) type of game if you had not noticed.
  • decyferdownrocksdecyferdownrocks Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    In any case, I figured out how to get it. Use Jackpot, Blast Notes, and Super Guitar. Use Jackpot in the intro/first verse, first chorus double sustains, second chorus double sustains, second half of the solo, and the sustains at the end and keep your multipliers up, hit every blast note you can, and you should be able to do it. I finally got Gold at around 520K.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    insomniacdude;4870941 said:
    I've played close to 200 unique songs and have gold-starred something like 150-170 of them. On Welcome Home, I have about 490,000 points and I'm ranked 21 on XBL according to RBW on Facebook. And I STILL DON'T HAVE GOLD STARS on Welcome Home. I've been trying Road Rage/Blast/Super guitar. I'm wondering if Super Drums might be better with road rage since the drums are much more active in the final checkpoints after the guitar solo. If that doesn't work, than I'm convinced jackpot/super guitar is the way to go.
    Sustains are worth more, so the sustains at the end are worth a ton of points. I'd play those and ignore any other tracks outside of blasts/RR and possibly OD.
    edited September 2012
    Iceman71421;4872479 said:
    OBV, Its the solo and checkpoint modifiers that are stopping you from GSing. The chart for Welcome Home was designed 5 + years ago. They didnt know at that point that the song would be put into another game along with every other song from the subsequent 5 years. Blitz is pretty much a (hodge podge) , (we'll see how it sorts out) type of game if you had not noticed.
    Sure, but I'd venture to say that probably at least more than 90 percent of the charts in the game were designed before Blitz was even in the concept phase, and some songs seem to have this weirdness more than most others. When you say "solo modifiers," I'm curious to what you're referring to. Because one of the reasons that there are certain songs much harder to GS in RB3 is that they included a 100% solo bonus in the base score, which on many songs is so many points that one mistake could cost you any chance at GS. But in Blitz, they appear to just give 10,000 points for 95% and 20,000 points for 100% no matter how long or busy the solo is.

Having run into a few more of these songs that are tough to Gold Star, it seems that specifically what seems to happen is that on longer songs, if you run into the occasional low multiplier potential early on, the cascading effect of lower scoring is that much more pronounced because of the song's length. Sometimes it can be counteracted with good use of Jackpot and sustains toward the end, but sometimes not.

I'm really impressed that they found a formula that seems to work so reasonably well for most average -length songs. I wonder how much tinkering it took to do that.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Jackpot/Blast Notes/Super Guitar.

Just tested it and got 559k - Rank 3 on leaderboard.
    edited September 2012
    I finally got around to playing this song yesterday, and the reason this is so tough was immediately obvious on the first checkpoint. There simply appears to be no way to get higher than +1 cap on the first checkpoint, and the effect of that exponentially increases throughout the song. I was using Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar, and ended up a shade over 500K. It was hard to tell but it appeared I was extremely close to Gold Stars anyway based on where Duke's arrow was.

But siee's got the right idea. Jackpot/Blast Notes/Super Guitar is pretty much the golden combo for most songs in general, but Jackpot in particular seems to be absolutely critical for these longer songs that have low cap raises early on. I'm pretty confident that I could easily have had well more than the 5-10K I probably came up short if I used Jackpot well late in the song. Road Rage just doesn't seem to pay off as well in longer songs because of the randomness. Getting 3X in a Super Lane when the multipliers are really high is just an enormous amount of points in most cases.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I am actually starting to wonder if the 100% solo bonus scores are actually affecting the Rock Band Blitz cut-offs despite only getting 20k no matter what the solo is. I made a thread about Child in Time and it's the only song so far that looks impossible to GS thanks to how the solos are calculated in the game.
    edited September 2012
    zage1337;4877054 said:
    I am actually starting to wonder if the 100% solo bonus scores are actually affecting the Rock Band Blitz cut-offs despite only getting 20k no matter what the solo is. I made a thread about Child in Time and it's the only song so far that looks impossible to GS thanks to how the solos are calculated in the game.
    I don't think that's the case, mostly because there are plenty of songs with long and busy solos that are still easy to gold star. I haven't played Child in Time yet (honestly I can't even remember if I own it) but do you know if there are early checkpoints that only have a +1 or even a +2 cap? That's what seems to be causing the issue in Welcome Home, and last night I ran into the same thing in Teen Age Riot. There are only five Bass notes in the first checkpoint, and that caps your multipliers at +1. If that happens early, it completely screws you because you're actually getting 2 fewer multipliers at every point in the song. I even played the song again (changing to Super Drums because the parts get crazy) and got fairly close to Gold Stars, but even with the #2 score on the PS3 leaderboard I couldn't quite get them. I'd imagine I'd have to try to use Jackpot on those crazy busy drum parts near the end to pull it off, but that would be pretty risky.

I'm pretty confident that the problem is related to the game not recognizing or accounting for the disproportionate cascading impact of early low multipliers. But I'd have to take a closer look at Child in Time to see if that fits into this category.

If it's not just that, maybe there's another aspect of solos that could be affecting it. Obviously, since the charts are generated from the existing RB note charts, there are a potentially a ton of notes that Blitz could be ignoring? What if there's some issue with the game's thinking you can switch lanes to hit more notes when you actually can't? What makes me wonder about this is the fact that GGAHT doesn't have solos at all (I think they may have set a time limit for solos and then just didn't include them if they exceed that length.) Maybe it's not the 20,000 bonus exactly that causes it, but the fact that there are a lot of other notes that you can't hit during the solo and somehow the game isn't accounting for that?

I'll check and see if I have Child in Time when I get home for lunch and give it a try if I do.