What exactly is the case against Avenged Sevenfold?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I had heard "Bat Country" on the radio a few times, but RB2 and "Almost Easy" was really the first time I gave the group anything close to a proper listen. And I love the hell out of that song, I've got to say. It's heavy, it's catchy, it's damn fun to play in RB. I have most of the A7X DLC as well (ironically "Bat Country" is one of the songs I don't have) and most of them fit that bill, too.

Yet it's always seemed like they're one of the bands that it's cool to hate, that the internet decided was off-limits, like.......well, do I really need to give examples?

I really don't get it. The singer isn't some pitch-perfect virtuoso, but for this style of music his angry growls and occasional plaintive singing work just fine. The lead guitarist plays some of the most complex solos I've heard from recent bands (yes, I'm sure there are scores of examples of guitarists who "shred" better, good for you for coming up with them). Musically, they're certainly no less talented than the 'average' band. And I've never heard of anyone getting their ire up for a bassist :p

But the drummer...this is really the only thing I can think of that gets people to rage about this band. I've seen the posts too, of some of the downright scary A7X fans who say things like "I was sadder when the Rev died than when my own father died!" I mean, this is kinda creepy. No two ways about it. (The members of the band have tattoos relating to him, too, but this one is just from some guy) I don't understand that level of attachment and I do not want to.

So is that it, or is there something else? Because most of the time I can at least understand why overwhelming consensus is against a band, even if I don't agree. I'm a bit at a loss here.

Comments

• Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I think some music elitists consider them "mainstream," which is unacceptable for some people.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Talented musicians, can't write a song to save their lives though. They've got some gems here and there, but nothing I'd get too excited about. I don't hate on 'em (that much), but they're stuff gets boring very quickly for me. Waking The Fallen is the only album I can listen to in full by them.

I think most of the problem people have is that they're popular and are viewed as the face of modern metal and metal elitists get their panties in a bunch every time they hear someone refer to A7X as just that. And the fact that they are popular and of course, anything that is popular is also popular to hate. I blame the internet. It only takes a few to start a trend and before you know it you have a full on hate machine.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    They are decent musicians, but I hate them for their annoying gimmick of having dumb names, and their hilariously misguided political opinions. Also, The Rev was an Okay drummer, but nowhere near what A7X fans make him out to be.
  • edited September 2012
    I didn't mind them so much before RB2's online multiplayer. Every random and their brother would choose freaking Almost Easy.

I'm also not a fan of getting screamed at by the singer and the drummer spamming the bass drum.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    I actually don't find them bad, and in fact, I really like City Of Evil. I thought they managed a bridge between melodic and heavyness that bands like Killswitch Engage hilariously failed at. On their heavier songs like Beast and The Harlot, Nightmare and so on, I will actually listen to them every so often.

That said, they have a few too many slow, orchestral songs, and their lyrcism and composition fails them more in these situations than they don't. Seize The Day is alright, the rest of this ilk is indeed rubbish. So Far Away, the Blitz packaged song, is probably their worst that I've heard thus far.

But yes, for the most part, they're just cool to hate, or people just hate the fanbase and attribute it to the music (a little understandable). They're not even the worst artist on Blitz anyway.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Going by this weeks experience, I think "Almost Easy" is making a comeback in the rotation. I played with at least 3 random groups the past few days during which that song was picked. It's a fun enough song on drums and i laugh now at how I used to not be able to play it for the life of me and now it's GS all the time.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Tego1in;4871311 said:
    I think some music elitists consider them "mainstream," which is unacceptable for some people.

This quote makes makes music elitists such as myself seem like the hipster stereotype. If that's the case, I might as well grow a handlebar moustache and drink a Pabst beer and enjoy it ironically. :p

As for the point regarding Avenged Sevenfold; they are to metal music what McDonald's is to fine dining and Miller Lite is to beer. Beware, this is the opinion of a music elitist and in particular a metal elitist.

Their music itself isn't great by any stretch of the imagination although it isn't audio fecal matter on the scale of Nickleback, Suicide Silence, or BrokenCYDE. I'm not a fan of this band by any means but a lot of my dislike regarding Avenged Sevenfold actually came from interacting with their fans (particularly the ones on internet forums like this one). Using this forum as an example, seeing 5 new A7X request threads daily for a span of months (even the week after a new A7X track pack was released) did fuel to the fire of dislike.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    i just really don't like their music.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Their instrumental parts are fantastic and very fun to play in RB, but the singer's voice is very mediocre, and what really annoys me are their harmonies. They just don't fit the rest of their sound.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Cubecubed;4871330 said:
    They are decent musicians, but I hate them for their annoying gimmick of having dumb names, and their hilariously misguided political opinions. Also, The Rev was an Okay drummer, but nowhere near what A7X fans make him out to be.
    Pankrazzo;4871406 said:
    Their instrumental parts are fantastic and very fun to play in RB, but the singer's voice is very mediocre, and what really annoys me are their harmonies. They just don't fit the rest of their sound.

These are my exact points as well. Actually, the lead singer isn't that bad, but their harmonies just sound... goofy. I listen to very little metal (let alone modern metal) but I am open to it, but A7X (how goofy is that) isn't my style.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4871367 said:
    This quote makes makes music elitists such as myself seem like the hipster stereotype. If that's the case, I might as well grow a handlebar moustache and drink a Pabst beer and enjoy it ironically. :p

As for the point regarding Avenged Sevenfold; they are to metal music what McDonald's is to fine dining and Miller Lite is to beer. Beware, this is the opinion of a music elitist and in particular a metal elitist.

Their music itself isn't great by any stretch of the imagination although it isn't audio fecal matter on the scale of Nickleback, Suicide Silence, or BrokenCYDE. I'm not a fan of this band by any means but a lot of my dislike regarding Avenged Sevenfold actually came from interacting with their fans (particularly the ones on internet forums like this one). Using this forum as an example, seeing 5 new A7X request threads daily for a span of months (even the week after a new A7X track pack was released) did fuel to the fire of dislike.

pretty much this.

also, the band wouldn't get half the hate it gets now if some of their fans weren't complete ***********
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Add me to all those who say it's mostly that people get annoyed with the fans and then take it out on the band.

The same thing has definitely kept me from appreciating a certain hugely popular UK band as much as I otherwise might. :p
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    People tend to hate on metalcore in general.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I really dislike the Rev's "look how fast I can kick and hit the snare" drum solo in BatH. It's just obnoxious. So Far Away is okay I guess.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2012
    A7X is fantastic (or rather self titled and City of Evil are amazing and Nightmare is ok, while the others are bad).
    Their fanbase on the internet annoys me, but A7X fans irl are great people.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4871607 said:
    Their fanbase on the internet annoys me, but A7X fans irl are great people.
    Just wait till you start meeting the fanbase in person in real time.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited September 2012
    I don't listen to them outside of the game, but I have all their songs on RB.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4871417 said:
    pretty much this.

also, the band wouldn't get half the hate it gets now if some of their fans weren't complete ***********

Polygamist?
  • MutilationSystemMutilationSystem Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Personally, I really liked their first 2 albums. Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen. After that, the changed their musical style into something I'm not really into to begin with.

I don't like their newer music, but do I hate them? No, until they do something that offends me, I'm not hating. I did get all of their RB songs because PEOPLE WOULDN'T STOP ANNOYING ME UNTIL I DID! Unholy confessions was the only song I bought of my own free will.
    DerLindwurm;4871467 said:
    The same thing has definitely kept me from appreciating a certain hugely popular UK band as much as I otherwise might. :p
    There are two options here: the band has one song in the RBN? (the only one I actually like of said band). Or the band has around 5+ songs.
    edited September 2012
    DerLindwurm;4871609 said:
    Just wait till you start meeting the fanbase in person in real time.
    What? I just said the A7X fans I know are good people.
    edited September 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4871622 said:
    What? I just said the A7X fans I know are good people.
    Until you start discussing music with them. Trying to get an open-minded musical opinion from a diehard A7X fan is practically impossible without them gushing over how great Synyster Gates and The Rev are.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4871690 said:
    Until you start discussing music with them. Trying to get an open-minded musical opinion from a diehard A7X fan is practically impossible.

Its like trying to talk about music with Cipher
    edited September 2012
    I've had several mature discussions with them...
    Hell, I had one a few days ago with one of my neighbors :I
    www1221;4871692 said:
    Its like trying to talk about music with Cipher
    I'm extremely open minded.
    edited September 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4871693 said:

Bull
    edited September 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4871693 said:

Uhh... no comment.
    edited September 2012
    I don't like judging an entire fanbase. A7X has stupid fans, but there's probably reasonable ones too.
    edited September 2012
    dog037;4871706 said:
    I don't like judging an entire fanbase. A7X has stupid fans, but there's probably reasonable ones too.
    I've yet to bump into a reasonable A7X fan, at least in real life. On the interwebs I've bumped into a few that can actually comprehend someone not liking A7X and actually turned out to be pretty cool peeps, but I think it's safe to say, the majority are not like that.
    edited September 2012
    I am extremely open minded. Don't believe me, I won't lose sleep over it.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 2012
    They actually don't bother me that much. I'm not really a fan, but I do actually like a few of their songs. It's just another pop-metal band to me.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Most people hate them because of angry 12 year old COD players who claim to be huge fans of them when they only know about 2 songs by them, and people assume that their whole fanbase is like that.