Can't find I negative review.

LosersVotePartyLosersVoteParty Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
This game seems to have universal praise. I hate the gameplay. It is tedious (and this coming from someone who has 1750 songs in RB3 and meticulously maximizes his scores on every one).

I'm also an avid gamer and have done a lot of grinding for games that I didn't necessarily like. The idea of spending time on this game seems so unbearable that I'm having my wife play on my gamer tag for me.

So I should just be happy with this game as a track pack for RB3 right? I've bought more then my share of songs, from a wide variety of genres, and I will be sure to find some gems I like right? Wrong. If I had viewed the charts before making a purchase like I normally do I would have bought 3-5 songs. Assuming it was 5 and I payed $2 a pop I still didn't get close to my money's worth.

There must be others out there who feel the same as I do.

Comments

• atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Magnet;4874854 said:
    If your wife is enjoying the game, I'd say you're getting your money's worth. If she's not, I'm not sure why you're making her play it.

For the gamerscore, duh! Isn't that what a wife is for?
  • LosersVotePartyLosersVoteParty Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Magnet;4874854 said:
    What is tedious about the gameplay?

If your wife is enjoying the game, I'd say you're getting your money's worth. If she's not, I'm not sure why you're making her play it.

There's no real difference between instruments. The only reason to switch instruments is to get a higher score. Why would I want to to play something that isn't fun just to get a higher score?

IDK if my wife likes it. She has played it once and didn't tell me about it. But she did like Unplugged. However with Unplugged she can play wherever she wants. And even if she does like it that doesn't mean I got my money's worth because both her and I would have preferred to spend the money on other things.

Thanks to all who have posted respectfully even if you don't share my opinion.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    This game scored a 77 on metacritic. Generally favorable is pretty good

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/rock-band-blitz
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    LosersVoteParty;4874931 said:
    There's no real difference between instruments. The only reason to switch instruments is to get a higher score.
    That's like saying "the only reason to bother strumming the guitar in Rock Band is to get a higher score."

I mean, the lane switching is the entire distinguishing feature of the game. It's fine if you don't find it enjoyable, but what exactly would you have them do? Actually have all of the instruments be required to play?
  • CharityDiaryCharityDiary Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I agree with the OP.

I would have written a negative review, but everyone would have just flamed it.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    CharityDiary;4874942 said:
    I agree with the OP.

I would have written a negative review, but everyone would have just flamed it.

yeah, but everyone already knows you like absolutely nothing about this game.

yet you still keep playing it :/
  • MurphyRockMurphyRock Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    One of the reasons I *like* switching instruments in Blitz is because I get a "taste" of all the instruments in one song. I play mostly vocals, and a little bit of drums and keyboard - guitar and bass are rarely played by me. So I haven't played too many of the songs on different instruments. I find that playing through my song library with Blitz is "informing" me of interesting parts on the different tracks in songs that I previously overlooked, and I really like that a lot.

Of course, I also like the arcade-y play of Blitz. I'm getting really good at jumping across 4 lanes to catch a purple note at the very last split second. :)

But anyway, you don't like the game but your wife does. That's fine, at least she got her money's worth. But the thing I find hardest to believe is that you like only 5 or fewer of Blitz's 25 song soundtrack, yet you own 1750 Rock Band songs. Seriously, how is that possible? My library is only 500-odd songs and yet I like at least 20 of the 25 Blitz songs, if not more. Queen's "Death On Two Legs" I've never heard before, and it's awesome. So is finally getting "Spoonman" and "Give It Away" back, with RB3 vocal harmonies and keys besides! The Rock/Pop-Rock/Indie-Rock selections all, for lack of a better world, rock. Even the Emo and Metal selections, two of my lesser liked genres, really aren't bad choices and help to round out the selection.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2012
    LosersVoteParty;4874931 said:
    The only reason to switch instruments is to get a higher score.

What other reason would you prefer there be? Make it so you fail if you don't play enough of each instrument? Use the old HMX method of forced track switching? I think allowing players the freedom to generally play whatever track they want is great, with an incentive to switch tracks periodically if you want to perform better score-wise.
    jibjqrkl;4874946 said:
    yeah, but everyone already knows you like absolutely nothing about this game.

yet you still keep playing it :/

I think it must be a pretty decent game if someone who would write a negative review still chose to invest the time to play over 300 songs in it.
  • RainiermanRainierman Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I find it nice that it has integration with FB, integrates social gaming, and appeals to the casual crowd. I honestly think that's pretty awesome.

But the fact that it DOESN'T offer an alternative for anyone else is a big 'screw you' for me. I'm not into social games, I don't think I can be considered casual, and I don't have FB. The fact that lacking an account somewhere handicaps the gameplay to these extremes is something that's... just wrong. And put on top of that a not so good connection that disconnects frequently. How am I supposed to have fun this way Harmonix? :/ I can't earn coins. At least with RB3 it didn't force me to get the Account Linking goal.

So I can't just have single player fun like I do in... every single other RB game? (Or at least offline fun?) I fear to say, that I was wrong to blindly expect this RB to exceed in that area like every single one of its previous entries did. This game isn't an improvement over past titles, not when the new features comes at the cost of dropping the previous strengths present in all RB titles. A good game has something for everyone, and... I can't speak for all people, but it doesn't have anything for me, and I'm not changing the kind of player I am.

I'm happy for those who thoroughly enjoy this game catered for them. I really am. But I sadly wasted my money. I'm sorry. I don't like writing negatives (first time in who knows how much) but it's just that big of a shame. I really looked forward to having fun with Blitz.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    it seriously blows my mind how many people thought this game was gonna be the same as RB main titles >_>
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I think the idea of Blitz...which is a downloadable/cheap game that doesn't require an instrument peripheral, yet utilizes the existing instrument tracks and social media...is pretty great.

Having played the game for a few hours...after three or four runs, it all seems the same. Just repetitive button mashing (which actually hurts my surgically repaired thumb) after a few minutes.

I don't think the game is bad. It just became quickly apparent that the gameplay is totally not for me. I got into Rock Band because I liked the visceral sensation of pretending to "play" music through the game and the co-op gameplay/party aspects, and that's why I'll continue to play RB3 going forward.
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4874960 said:
    it seriously blows my mind how many people thought this game was gonna be the same as RB main titles >_>

HMX was pretty upfront about the "what's coming is a deviation from performance simulation" aspect, so no fault there.
    edited September 2012
    *That* said, I do expect Rock Band to return to performance simulation at some point, but the whole peripheral/hardware thing is a very sticky point that is not easily (or cheaply) solved.

They already tried the "let a partner distribute the hardware" deal with MadCatz; and it would seem that MadCatz was not terribly impressed by the return on that investment when RB3 came out. So finding another partner to handle peripherals might be very, very hard.

And they can't release another title and expect gamers to scour the interwebs for second hand controllers.
  • LosersVotePartyLosersVoteParty Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4874961 said:
    I think the idea of Blitz...which is a downloadable/cheap game that doesn't require an instrument peripheral, yet utilizes the existing instrument tracks and social media...is pretty great.

Having played the game for a few hours...after three or four runs, it all seems the same. Just repetitive button mashing (which actually hurts my surgically repaired thumb) after a few minutes.

I don't think the game is bad. It just became quickly apparent that the gameplay is totally not for me. I got into Rock Band because I liked the visceral sensation of pretending to "play" music through the game and the co-op gameplay/party aspects, and that's why I'll continue to play RB3 going forward.

This.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Rainierman;4874958 said:
    I don't have FB. The fact that lacking an account somewhere handicaps the gameplay to these extremes is something that's... just wrong. And put on top of that a not so good connection that disconnects frequently. How am I supposed to have fun this way Harmonix? :/ I can't earn coins. At least with RB3 it didn't force me to get the Account Linking goal.
    You can earn coins just fine without Facebook, especially after the recent econ tweaks. Once you're minimally competent you can get 4 stars with no powerups... that's 400 coins, or 800 the first time you play a song.

800 coins per new-song play even if you're minimally competent. Then you start playing with powerups, and your coins only deplete by 50 per song, typically (550 coins for a powerup, powerup gets you into 5-star range, 5-star a nonvirgin song = 500 coin payout).
    samjjones;4874961 said:
    Just repetitive button mashing (which actually hurts my surgically repaired thumb) after a few minutes.

Don't use the default control set, man! It's the only one that's thumb-based. "Freakish", "Shoulders", and "Typewriter" are all designed to put the note-hitting action on your fingers, not your thumbs.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4874961 said:

Having played the game for a few hours...after three or four runs, it all seems the same. Just repetitive button mashing (which actually hurts my surgically repaired thumb) after a few minutes..

Have you checked out the other control options in the settings? There are a few that put more stress on the shoulder buttons that would be a lot easier on your thumbs

edit: ninja'd. Gotta remember, always refresh thread before replying :p
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4874960 said:

It seems a lot of the criticism towards the game is because people are comparing it to other Rock Band games when in reality it's meant to be a lot different. It's an arcade game people.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4874776 said:
    I think the same thing is happening here. Those people that played Freq, Amp, or to a lesser extent the RB mobile or unplugged games are liking Blitz as they knew what to expect, and those people that started with Guitar Hero 1, or Rock Band (and essentially never played the above games), are hating on it and can't get used to it for whatever reason.

Just my two cents.

Well consider me an exception then, 'cause I dig Blitz and my first rhythm game (of any kind) was RB2.
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4874961 said:

It's funny, because I was kind of the opposite. As someone who has literally played thousands of hours of fake instruments without getting tired of it, I fully expected myself to see Blitz the way you did, but somehow I have been nothing but impressed with how well the obviously highly distilled gameplay still strikes that pleasure center in my brain that makes me feel like I'm somehow creating the sound.

Blitz FAR surpassed my expectations in that regard, and combined with my general affinity for action/puzzle games, the combination has been completely irresistible to me. I'm completely shocked by how much I'm enjoying and have become hopelessly addicted to Blitz to the point that I don't think I'll be playing much RB3 again until I've at least finished all of my currently owned songs in Blitz, and that will surely take a good long while.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited September 2012
    This is going to be soooo TLDR.

My review: I like it.

:)
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4874721 said:
    There was this post from NeoGAF which has received some circulation, but...I think that's about it?
    Is NeoGAF always such a ****hole? Complaining at length about microtransactions — even when quoting the game's project director that they have no plans on doing that — is even more uninformed than comparing the game to Audiosurf.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I personally like the game, but it's completely understandable for people not to like it, even established RB fans, because it's so different. I'm honestly surprised I haven't come across more negative reviews and polarizing opinions myself. The op is completely fair in that respect, but I DON'T think it's fair to be upset over not getting your money's worth out of it as a track pack. The full setlist was announced before you bought it. If what op had said was true, if he had looked up the charts before he purchased the game he only would have found a few songs worth buying in his opinion. So the question is.....why DIDN'T you look up the charts beforehand?
  • RevhallowRevhallow Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    The only thing I don't like about the game is that my A button started sticking last night...

I'm going to have to switch to one of my older controllers that has a "roaming thumbstick" and give the A button on my newest controller a break, before it breaks. Other than that, the game is rock band solid in my opinion.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4874963 said:
    They already tried the "let a partner distribute the hardware" deal with MadCatz; and it would seem that MadCatz was not terribly impressed by the return on that investment when RB3 came out.

If MadCatz wanted people to buy their Rock Band peripherals, perhaps they should have considered making sure they were, like, available? You know, meeting consumer demand, that type of thing?
  • SpidermaniacSpidermaniac Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4874961 said:

Pretty much this. It was the collaborative play and rock star fantasy immersion aspect of Rock Band that hooked me. As others have said, I had never had any interest in the earlier Guitar Hero iterations or games like Amplitude or Frequency. So, I knew going into it Blitz would be a tough sell. I've played something like 50 songs now and it just doesn't have that same magic. The lane-changing dynamic often breaks my Rock Band Zen: I find myself getting into a groove and enjoying a part only to have to switch over to something less fun just to try to juggle the score multiplier. And, honestly, the lack of venues and avatars really, really takes away a lot of the game for me. I don't regret buying Blitz for the RB3 export, and I applaud HMX for finding a way to keep the RB store viable for that much longer, but Blitz subtracted the biggest draws of the RB series for me and so hasn't worked it's way into my life like RB1-3 have.

As for reviews, I think you have to keep who the reviewers are and how they approach games in mind. A lot of the reviewers go through dozens of games a month and rarely spend the kind of time with a title that long-term players do. Also, reviewers are often dedicated gamers who are familiar with many types of games and notice technical details that casual gamers might not. When RB3 came out, it was one of the best reviewed games I had ever seen, but it quickly became clear on these forums that fan opinion was much more divided. I think critics respond to games much differently than some players who may play for reasons that a gaming professional wouldn't. Also, I would presume most gaming critics have developed exceptional eye-hand coordination and reaction skills that are rewarded in Bliitz and might seem more intimidating to more casual players. (I'm also chagrinned by all the reviews that like to point out how played out/boring/dead the plastic instrument genre is-- clearly these guys have a different perspective than I do already).

In any case, I think Blitz is a bargain to RB3 players who should all at least give it a fair shot. I wouldn't put much stock in gaming critics reviews.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    sirdavidtlynch;4875231 said:
    is even more uninformed than comparing the game to audiosurf.

ahhhhhh! Why are people so stupid!!!!!!! Gaaaaahhhh!!!
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I read NeoGAF's review, and yes, he is rather uninformed. The thing that bugs me most is that he said that Harmonix won't show their goals. Well, he said link to Facebook, so he found something out. But, when you go to the goals section THEY'RE RIGHT THERE!!!!! The title of the goal, with the description on how to get the goal. Something tells me I'm not gonna like that guy.

Something also tells me that he only played, like, one song, and just dropped the controller to go on the internet and hate on something.

Something is really itching me he probably didn't really play the game at all, and he's making all this up just to start a riot, but that's probably not true. But, it sure feels like it.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4875231 said:
    Is NeoGAF always such a ****hole? Complaining at length about microtransactions — even when quoting the game's project director that they have no plans on doing that — is even more uninformed than comparing the game to Audiosurf.

GAF's a forum, just like any other, so it's gonna be full of both idiots and brilliant people. Plus, it has a heavy tendency towards extremes- everything's either The Second Coming or an Abomination Upon Man. Usually both. At the same time.

Generally it's best to ignore the gaming side as far as opinions go (hell, most of us Gaffers do that ourselves). You won't be missing much, as just about every journalist in the industry follows a Twitter feed of new topics to make sure they get all the news we collectively break as fast as possible.
    edited September 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4875231 said:
    I have to admit...after getting hooked on this game like I have, I began to fantasize about whether it would be possible to somehow "simulate" Blitz without having to have separated tracks and pre-existing note charts. If a game like this had the ability to simply play whatever MP3's I had lying around, I'd probably never leave my house.

But then I remembered that the reason Audiosurf is not nearly as compelling to me is that it is simply trying to do something that is effectively impossible. I was really excited about Audiosurf when I first got it, but for some reason it just never felt like the "charts" it generated had much to do with the actual music at all. Maybe it's just me, but I quickly lost interest, probably because it doesn't have that same one-to-one feeling that Rock Band games do (not that it's their fault or anything, like I said, it's pretty much impossible without separated tracks and manual note placement.)
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4875511 said:
    I read NeoGAF's review, and yes, he is rather uninformed. The thing that bugs me most is that he said that Harmonix won't show their goals. Well, he said link to Facebook, so he found something out. But, when you go to the goals section THEY'RE RIGHT THERE!!!!! The title of the goal, with the description on how to get the goal.
    His point was that you can't properly access goals in-game, which is true; All you have is the title.

As for his points, gloomy as they may be, they're not without any sort of merit (although the updated economy has essentially circumvented one of his two main complaints). However much you might think Facebook is easily accessible, it still stands to reason that it is an inconvenience having to access third party materials outside of the game to get a large part of the experience.

My biggest problem, however, is the always online, pseudo-DRM component. Turning an inherently single player game into a game which essentially requires an MMO layout has caused so many complaints on these forums, on general gaming forums, and by gaming journalists, reviewers, the community and myself that "I told you so" just doesn't cut it. Had they taken this "feature" out, it would have gone toe-to-toe with Sleeping Dogs as Game Of The Year.

The game's exceedingly, illegally fun, but as Alice Cooper said, it's the little things that drive me wild.