DLC Discussion Week of 9/18 - Singles from The Offspring and Smash Mouth!

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited September 2012
    Bront20;4877659 said:
    We still could get the original later.
    Yep, happened with that Johnny Cash song. I really like Ring of Fire, and I greatly enjoyed Social Distortion's version of the song.
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited September 2012
    Offspring literally are one of the worst bands on the planet. Every single one of their songs is a rip-off of another more popular song.
    Listening to Days Go By, the intro is pretty good and then his terrible singing comes in and lmao, oh God how terrible.
    Love Smash Mouth, though. Never thought we'd get Why Can't We Be Friends.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2012
    In my opinion...

A "meh" week. I already knew "Can't Get Enough Of You Baby," and "Why Can't We Be Friends" looks fun enough, but I don't care for the Offsprings choice, and I'm left to wonder why we got a cover of Why Can't We Be Friends instead of the original, or better, "I'm a Believer." That's the only other Smashmouth song I want.

But that's my opinion. If you like the songs, by all means get them.
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited September 2012
    Is everyone here just crying because we didn't get "the original" because "it came first so it's obviously the best"?

I mean seriously, the AAF version of Smooth Criminal is much better than Michael's.
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877675 said:
    Is everyone here just crying because we didn't get "the original" because "it came first so it's obviously the best"?

I mean seriously, the AAF version of Smooth Criminal is much better than Michael's.

I want to go on a rampage on how wrong this post is, but I'll just leave it to "If you think differently, that's fine, but don't bash us for wanting something you don't."
  • IIICCIIIIIICCIII Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4877679 said:
    I want to go on a rampage on how wrong this post is, but I'll just leave it to "If you think differently, that's fine, but don't bash us for wanting something you don't."

This. :)
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877669 said:
    Offspring literally are one of the worst bands on the planet. Every single one of their songs is a rip-off of another more popular song.

I know that it started with "Why Don't You Get A Job", that was a ripoff of Obla-di Obla-da, but don't listen to the singles from 98 onwards.. just go backwards.

Ignition is my favourite album by them. Such a good piece of 90s punk rock. Sadly, they wanted to sell, and they ran short of ideas, so they copy-pasted other songs.

If I recall correctly, there's a song on "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" that sounds exactly like american idiot.

OH HERE IT IS
  • peterikepeterike Banned
    edited September 2012
    The songs remain the same. And the cabal of multi-tracked vocal loving teens at Harmonix remains firmly in charge.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877675 said:
    the AAF version of Smooth Criminal is much better than Michael's.
    Yes, it is. But, that is often a exception. For the most part, I don't care at all for covers. I am a big fan of Fish, Marillion's first singer, and buy all of his solo albums... As a big fan, I hated his cover album and that is how I feel about 90% of the covers that get recorded... But, sometimes, as is often in the case with Bob Dylan, the cover is loads better than the original. In this case, I just don't care for the covers by Smash Mouth.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    That's probably the first Offspring song I won't get. I haven't liked anything I've heard off the new album. Smash Mouth doesn't interest me. Pretty disappointing week but oh well, life continues.

But yeah, I agree that pre-Americana Offspring has most of the good stuff. That "American Idiot" rip-off is just terrible, I remember recognizing the similarity the first time I heard it. I'd say Ixnay on the Hombre was my favorite of the albums, although Smash has a lot of good stuff too.
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Not horrible, but nothing that excites me. May pick it up at some point.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Retrokaiser;4877633 said:
    Not bad but really needs some Sugar Ray.
    As long as it's "RPM" I wholeheartedly agree. DEM DRUMZ!
    Beeb;4877675 said:

I have to agree with this statement.

I'm going to go along with a lot of others here: Meh. I may buy one or two of these if they're requested, but none of my RB3 compatriots are big Smash Mouth or Offspring fans, so I doubt it.

Still: thank you again, HMX. Another week of DLC. Keep it coming!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877675 said:

No, not even close.
    Michaels Music shouldn't be covered. Simple as that (As well as Queen)
    edited September 2012
    peterike;4877685 said:
    The songs remain the same. And the cabal of multi-tracked vocal loving teens at Harmonix remains firmly in charge.

Check. Now we just need rsm's post and the "NOT 70s!!!!" crowd will be properly represented.
    edited September 2012
    Am I the only person who thinks that the AAF version of Smooth Criminal is a hot load of garbage? I thought it sounded way too generic (even for me), and I prefer the Michael Jackson version 100%.

That being said, I like AAF, and once I get more MSP, I might get their songs on the RBN.
  • edited September 2012
    dog037;4877621 said:
    Why are we getting more Smash Mouth.

Because they're a band that has sold over 5 million albums, has one of the most played songs in RB3, has had success with previously released DLC, has been requested by a large number of fans and has poppy songs that will play really well in both Blitz and RB3?
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4877694 said:
    Because they're a band that has sold over 5 million albums, has one of the most played songs in RB3, has had success with previously released DLC, has been requested by a large number of fans and has poppy songs that will play really well in both Blitz and RB3?

You don't have to answer this, but I'm left to wonder why we still don't have "I'm a Believer," yet we're getting a "lesser known" cover of theirs. "New Divide" by Linkin Park was tied to the Transformer's 3 soundtrack, so I don't think a song from the Shrek soundtrack is way out there.
    edited September 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4877693 said:
    Am I the only person who thinks that the AAF version of Smooth Criminal is a hot load of garbage? I thought it sounded way too generic (even for me), and I prefer the Michael Jackson version 100%.

That being said, I like AAF, and once I get more MSP, I might get their songs on the RBN.

It looks that way. But opinions and all that. I can't stand "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" but a load of people here were stoked. As long as you enjoy the game, that's the important part.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Well, I'm obviously in for Days Go By, and I don't care if it sounds nearly exact to "Times Like These" 'cause I like that song too.

Probably get the Smash Mouth songs as well.

I guess according to everyone in here, HMX could've just named this "The Going Back to Covers Pack 01"...
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4877698 said:
    so I don't think a song from the Shrek soundtrack is way out there.

especially since we already have a song from the Shrek soundtrack...

anyways great week HMX I will be getting all of it... though I would of loved to get Come On, Come On by Smash Mouth
  • edited September 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4877698 said:
    You don't have to answer this, but I'm left to wonder why we still don't have "I'm a Believer," yet we're getting a "lesser known" cover of theirs. "New Divide" by Linkin Park was tied to the Transformer's 3 soundtrack, so I don't think a song from the Shrek soundtrack is way out there.

Accidentally In Love by The Counting Crows was writen for Shrek 2. I'm sure it has more to do with the original owners of the song than with the fact that it was in Shrek.
    edited September 2012
    firedoom666;4877705 said:
    especially since we already have a song from the Shrek soundtrack...

Well, it's the Shrek 2 soundtrack, but still a valid point.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4877694 said:
    Wait...so this week is fun in Blitz, and so was Linkin Park, and so will the future 70s songs be...but not MB20?

Very minor thing, but I just want to say that I feel like singling out songs as fun in Blitz implies that a decent number of them aren't, which, in my experience, is untrue. I'm honestly surprised at just how much fun I've had with my whole music library (except for Under The Bridge and Never Let Me Down Again.)

Don't undersell Blitz, man. It's an awesome game once you get down to it.
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited September 2012
    I forgot; The Beatles are the best band in the universe, Queen have no bad songs and any music that came out after the 31st of December 1999 sucks.

Why can't people form their own opinions of music and just repeat everything "music fans" say about music?

EDIT - Also I'm kind of annoyed (although the last few weeks have been swell for me) that we always get music from bands that have about 20 songs on Rock Band already. Smash Mouth have quite a few, Offspring have loads; we keep getting Foo Fighters and Jesus man there's TOO many Foo Fighters songs on Rock Band to care now. Can't new bands get a chance? Like Say Anything? How many people would buy Alive With the Glory of Love? I would buy it like 20 times over.
  • MPPMikeMPPMike Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Nothing for me here. Except... I think I know that John Parr song. I need to check that out, and will certainly buy it if it's the song I remember.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877713 said:
    I forgot; The Beatles are the best band in the universe, Queen have no bad songs and any music that came out after the 31st of December 1999 sucks.

Why can't people form their own opinions of music and just repeat everything "music fans" say about music?
    I thought we all agreed that Made In Heaven sucked...
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4877710 said:

Don't undersell Blitz, man. It's an awesome game once you get down to it.

Oh yeah. I somehow managed to make a couple of friends buying it, and they don't even play Rock Band too much.

One of them bought 20 songs or so. It's an awesome game. Very funny, very addicting.

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE BLITZ, HENRY!
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Why do I have a sudden urge to watch Shrek?
    edited September 2012
    Beeb;4877713 said:

Or better yet, why can't you accept people agreeing on things? I'm not trying to push my opinions on others, so why are you trying to scold us for liking The Beatles?

Wait, this is so off topic.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Haven't heard of the Smash Mouth songs but yay for more Offspring.