The Most Played Blitz Tracks -- in Rock Band 3

queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
So now that Blitz has been out for a couple weeks, I thought it'd be interesting to see how popular the songs are in Rock Band 3...Using data available on rockbandscores (http://rockbandscores.com/popularity.cgi), one can see the total number of scores tracked that have posted scores to the Rock Band leaderboards, for both XBOX and PS3. Although everyone who downloads the export has all of these songs, some people clearly aren't bothering playing many of them.

The usual caveats apply about this not being a perfect measure, but the sample size is high enough that it should provide a good idea about relative popularity.

Here then, are all the songs from the Blitz playlist, from most to least played:

fun. ft. Janelle Monae – We Are Young (9173)
Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera – Moves Like Jagger (8976)
Barenaked Ladies – One Week (8756)
Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks (8442)

Rick Springfield – Jessie's Girl (7916)
Living Colour - Cult of Personality (7639)
Collective Soul – Shine (7008)
Avenged Sevenfold – So Far Away (6986)
Kelly Clarkson – Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You (6879)
Foo Fighters – These Days (6779)
Tears for Fears – Shout (6615)
Soundgarden – Spoonman (6546)
P!nk – Raise Your Glass (6317)
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Give it Away (6125)

Elton John – I'm Still Standing (5930)
My Chemical Romance – Sing (5754)
Quiet Riot – Bang Your Head (Metal Health) (5627)
Shinedown – Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom) (5349)
Queen – Death on Two Legs (5251)
Iron Maiden – The Wicker Man (5240)
blink-182 – Always (5075)

Great White – Once Bitten Twice Shy (4984)
Kool & the Gang – Jungle Boogie (4812)
Fall Out Boy – A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More “Touch Me” (4204)
All-American Rejects – Kids in the Street (3254)

A few things are noteworthy here: it looks like the much-maligned Top 40 songs on the setlist are there for a reason. Not only do they fit RB Blitz very well, but the popularity carries over to people who want to play them with plastic instruments, even if the guitar parts for those songs are not likely to be the most exciting.

Also, some of those low-played bands are ones that have been extremely popular in the past (blink-182, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects). Are these cuts just too deep to have excited people? (Yes, I know they were singles. But weren't "Always" and "A Little Less Sixteen Candles..." like the 4th single on those albums? And the others were singles off the respective bands less popular albums)

I've got to assume that "Cult of Personality" is benefiting from GH nostalgia, right? Great song, but it seems to be doing better than I would have thought.

Anyhow, I hope others find this interesting. God, I love meaningless statistics.

Comments

• M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    queuemark;4876372 said:

Kool & the Gang – Celebration (4812)

You might want to fix this.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    M_Robbins5;4876376 said:
    You might want to fix this.

Whoops, thanks for catching that. I wager "Celebration" would have been a bit higher on the list.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    For comparison, here's the list of the most played songs in Blitz by leaderboard scores (the top three are the demo songs, because apparently anyone who plays the songs in the demo gets their score posted to the leaderboard):

These Days 124735
    One Week 117560
    Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...) 101194
    Pumped Up Kicks 26361
    We Are Young 23243
    So Far Away 23008
    Moves Like Jagger 22312
    Shine 21399
    Jessie's Girl 20884
    A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me" 20298
    Raise Your Glass 19891
    Shout 19841
    Jungle Boogie 19790
    Always 18544
    Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) 18479
    Cult of Personality 18417
    I'm Still Standing 18282
    Give It Away 18032
    Sing 17695
    Bang Your Head (Metal Health) 17513
    Spoonman 17271
    Once Bitten Twice Shy 16887
    The Wicker Man 16538
    Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom) 15957
    Kids in the Street 15437

A lot of songs look to have similar positions in both, though there are some that are quite different (A Little Less Sixteen Candles being one example). That could be attributed to certain goals/achievements being easier on certain included songs, though.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Sixteen Candles is also more 'bite-sized', even compared to the rest of the setlist, so it's good for Blitz.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    hodayathink;4876395 said:
    For comparison, here's the list of the most played songs in Blitz by leaderboard scores (the top three are the demo songs, because apparently anyone who plays the songs in the demo gets their score posted to the leaderboard):

Hey, thanks for adding this.

It looks like people really don't like the new All-American Rejects song. Personally I like the song itself okay, but I primarily drum and that fast disco beat pattern is exhausting and overly difficult for me.

Also, if those leaderboard numbers reflect total sales, then that isn't super-promising...Though it has only been a couple of weeks.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    queuemark;4876405 said:

Also, if those leaderboard numbers reflect total sales, then that isn't super-promising...Though it has only been a couple of weeks.

It may help if you remember that there are some people buying this as a DLC pack that will never open the game except to download the song pack.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Is RB3 that unpopular nowadays? The least played song in Blitz has far more uploaded scores than the most played Blitz song in RB3.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    queuemark;4876405 said:
    It looks like people really don't like the new All-American Rejects song. Personally I like the song itself okay, but I primarily drum and that fast disco beat pattern is exhausting and overly difficult for me.
    The preview makes the song sound worse than it actually is, but it's also really the only '10 song that also hasn't been a hit.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    CloudWolf;4876426 said:
    Is RB3 that unpopular nowadays? The least played song in Blitz has far more uploaded scores than the most played Blitz song in RB3.
    You're forgetting not every Blitz owner is a 3 owner.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Bummed to see how low Great White is. Maybe that final solo scares some people away (guitarists at least). :p
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    We Are Young as number 1? I got this awful feeling of list deja vu all the sudden.

Also surprised to see how low Wickerman and Death on Two Legs are on the RB3 list. Both are great fun and great songs (IMO).
  • RustySpoonsRustySpoons Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I really can't understand why Always isn't like number 1 on both lists, wasn't it the most requested Rock Band song or in the Top 5? Why request it then not play it when they give it you?
    Feel bad for Kids On The Street but it wasn't really an on-disc song IMO.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    it is saddening that Diamond Eyes is so low...
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4876433 said:
    You're forgetting not every Blitz owner is a 3 owner.

Which is encouraging. I've certainly enjoyed seeing new names 'round these parts.
  • edited September 2012
    I like that One Week is the only one of the green that isn't a current overplayed pop song. More BNL please?!
  • QuinctiaQuinctia Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    firedoom666;4877273 said:
    it is saddening that Diamond Eyes is so low...

It's the second Shinedown bonus album track. It's frankly bizarre how we're lacking something like Save Me or .45 or even If You Only Knew with both Diamond Eyes and Junkies for Fame available, and I say that as someone who loves Shinedown and likes that song. It's sounds a bit like two songs mashed up together, though.

I like Great White, but I'm meh on Once Bitten, and I don't find that Queen track fun.

Now, I'm Still Standing was surprisingly fun to play, I like Kids in the Street, and I had apparently never listened to Shout the whole way through before, because I was expecting that one to be a lot more boring and monotonous. Instead, I'm going, "Now, I want to play it on this instrument and this instrument and..."

Some of the RB3 numbers might change once those songs have been around a bit longer, too. I haven't managed to play RB in a group since Blitz was released, and if I FC'd a song on vocals, and I know I tend to not have a reason to return to it solo.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I'm actually quite shocked Allways was that low. I could have sworn harmonix did a top ten requested songs list when we got the valentines day pack and that song was at number 4.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Quinctia;4877509 said:
    It's the second Shinedown bonus album track. It's frankly bizarre how we're lacking something like Save Me or .45 or even If You Only Knew with both Diamond Eyes and Junkies for Fame available, and I say that as someone who loves Shinedown and likes that song. It's sounds a bit like two songs mashed up together, though.

"Diamond Eyes" is a single though, "Junkies For Fame" was the only deep cut we have by Shinedown. I think it's surprising we don't the title track "Sound of Madness" yet though.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Quinctia;4877509 said:
    It's the second Shinedown bonus album track. It's frankly bizarre how we're lacking something like Save Me or .45 or even If You Only Knew with both Diamond Eyes and Junkies for Fame available

Junkies for Fame is a definite deep cut, but Diamond Eyes was written for a very popular movie (The Expendables) and Wiki says WWE has also used it, so it's not quite so obscure.

I'd love to get .45 though :D
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    queuemark;4876372 said:
    I've got to assume that "Cult of Personality" is benefiting from GH nostalgia, right? Great song, but it seems to be doing better than I would have thought.

I can't speak for everybody, but personally, the GH nostalgia I suppose is part of it. The bigger part of it is that it's just a really good song, and a lot of fun on guitar.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    So first Gonzo is the lowest selling DLC of the year for about a month after it comes out, then Kids In The Street the least played song from the Blitz soundtrack? You people...
  • DemonUnicornsDemonUnicorns Normally Dumb
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4878807 said:
    So first Gonzo is the lowest selling DLC of the year for about a month after it comes out, then Kids In The Street the least played song from the Blitz soundtrack? You people...

If they released It Ends Tonight in place of even one of those songs....it would be high on either one of those lists.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4878807 said:

Give me Top of The World and I will gladly buy it, but I can't stand their new album
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4877304 said:
    I like that One Week is the only one of the green that isn't a current overplayed pop song. More BNL please?!

To be fair, at the time of it's release it WAS an overplayed pop song at the very least.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    hiimSMAP;4880017 said:
    To be fair, at the time of it's release it WAS an overplayed pop song at the very least.
    Yeah it was! But I think it slowly became a classic over the years. So glad it's in the game :D
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Munnchy;4877529 said:
    I'm actually quite shocked Allways was that low. I could have sworn harmonix did a top ten requested songs list when we got the valentines day pack and that song was at number 4.

I'm surprised too, that's one of Blinks most popular songs. It's good too.