Wii U Situation

KippmanKippman Opening Act
edited January 2013 in Rock Band
So, about transferring my DLC songs to the Wii U.... I kinda wanna sell my Wii and put the money towards a Wii U, but do you think I'll need to keep my Wii for the transfer process? Or will I just need to keep the SD card with all the songs? Any help would be great, so I don't go and sell the Wii and then lose about 90 songs

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    A 1TB harddrive can be found for like, $90 these days.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I figured out I'm at 100 songs just few weeks ago. I honestly wouldn't mind if the DLC won't transfer over, but the peripherals do. I'd rather have my DLC on a more secure account system, which the Wii U should no doubt have than the volatile, fragile setup the Wii is at.

Wii U invites these kinds of games with open arms and I hope Harmonix returns the favor.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    Don't trade your Wii in just yet; not if you want to transfer your Wii data, virtual console and WiiWare games to your Wii U come this November.

Wii owners will be able to transfer their data from their Wii to their new Wii U but the lack of any real unified account system means there's a bit of a hurdle.

According to Nintendo, via Gimme Gimme Games:

Both systems will need to be connected to the Internet and the Wii U will need an SD card to facilitate the transfer. The process is very similar to transferring content from Nintendo DS to Nintendo 3DS or from Nintendo 3DS to Nintendo 3DS XL.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/dont-trade-in-your-wii-for-a-wii-u-yet
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Wii games - like RB3 - will run in "Wii mode" on Wii U, based on what I read/saw today. My guess is that DLC might transfer, but who knows @ this point if that is the case or not....at the very least, the instruments should be compatible - and the console has 4 USB ports, so less worry about peripheral input space.

At least Nintendo fans have a console coming that can seemingly do everything/have everything under the hood to accomodate a game of RB's nature.....just not sure if popping in a copy of RB3 Wii is gonna suddenly make things better for those moving up to Wii U.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Didn't they confirm ages ago that DLC will transfer?
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4877489 said:
    Didn't they confirm ages ago that DLC will transfer?

yes they did. you will need your wii present at the time of transfer tho. my guess is there will be a wii channel to download when the time comes.
    edited September 2012
    Can a Rock Band 3 save even be moved? You wouldn't get any of your data if you played on a different console. I'm more looking forward to next-gen Rock Band which hopefully won't be as gimped as the Wii one is.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    So now that the Wii U has been released, maybe someone can answer some of these questions.

First off, does Rock Band 3 and it's instruments work on Wii U?

can you transfer the DLC to Wii U and play it?

can you still access the leaderboards and play online?

Once transferred can you still play the DLC on the original Wii or would you have to re-buy it for that console?

Can you transfer the game save?

Is the transfer process easy/hard?

How long does it take?

Do you still need to run the DLC from the SD card or does it go into the Wii's hard drive?
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4928455 said:
    So now that the Wii U has been released, maybe someone can answer some of these questions.

First off, does Rock Band 3 and it's instruments work on Wii U?

can you transfer the DLC to Wii U and play it?

can you still access the leaderboards and play online?

Once transferred can you still play the DLC on the original Wii or would you have to re-buy it for that console?

Can you transfer the game save?

Is the transfer process easy/hard?

How long does it take?

Do you still need to run the DLC from the SD card or does it go into the Wii's hard drive?

I picked up a WiiU today. Here's what I know.

- RB3 and instruments work just fine on the WiiU. The game looks great in 1080p, note highways are nice and clean and very sharp.

- I believe it is possible to transfer dlc from the Wii to the WiiU. There is an option to transfer all your save files over. However, you can't pick and choose which save files you can transfer - it's an all-or-nothing situation. And once you make the transfer, those files are erased from the Wii and can't be recovered.

- You cannot access the leaderboards and play online. The WiiU uses a 6 to 16 character Network ID to identify online users. The 16-digit friend code is no longer applicable.

I am not going to transfer my files until Harmonix says whether or not it will support online play on the WiiU. Don't want to risk not being able to go back and play online on the Wii without the friend roster and dlc I have compiled.

I didn't buy the WiiU for RB3 specifically, so I'm fine with waiting to see what happens. But if you are basing your decision solely on whether RB3 will give you the same experience on the WiiU that Xbox and PS3 users enjoy, the answer as of today is no, it won't. But that could change.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    so you cant access the leaderboards or play online, but what about the store?
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4928902 said:
    so you cant access the leaderboards or play online, but what about the store?

Didn't get that far. Will try later tonight.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928899 said:
    I am not going to transfer my files until Harmonix says whether or not it will support online play on the WiiU. Don't want to risk not being able to go back and play online on the Wii without the friend roster and dlc I have compiled.

Back up your SD card.
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928920 said:
    Back up your SD card.

I could, but without the ability to access the leaderboards and play online, there's not much point. I can always play in local online mode on the Wii - no skips and full leaderboard access.
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928922 said:
    I could, but without the ability to access the leaderboards and play online, there's not much point. I can always play in local online mode on the Wii - no skips and full leaderboard access.

There's skips on the WiiU? That's not a good sign for RB3 online play.
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928927 said:

I can't say for certain if there are skips on the WiiU or not - can't play online yet.

There were no skips when I played a couple disc songs offline on the WiiU. Everything was nice and smooth.
    edited November 2012
    I imagine it looks better through the Wii U. On my TV it looks extra bad with lots of blur and noise artifacts. Does it look closer to something like this? http://i.imgur.com/NE0L1.png
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928927 said:

There is no skips on wii RB3 online and offline. However many people complain about being unable to calibrate properly. I own 3 versions of RB3, the wii port was decently made, the store is garbage tho.

I am impressed by the image StackOverFlow0x posted
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928899 said:
    I picked up a WiiU today. Here's what I know.

- RB3 and instruments work just fine on the WiiU. The game looks great in 1080p, note highways are nice and clean and very sharp.
    1080p? I thought they said Wii U wouldn't upscale Wii games. You sure? If it does, that's really cool. Rock Band is really the only reason why I would want to upgrade to a Wii U. Well that and Monster Hunter :)

EDIT: According to this article, it does not support 1080p backwards compatibility.
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?

- I believe it is possible to transfer dlc from the Wii to the WiiU. There is an option to transfer all your save files over. However, you can't pick and choose which save files you can transfer - it's an all-or-nothing situation. And once you make the transfer, those files are erased from the Wii and can't be recovered.
    Does it specifically say the save files cannot be recovered? I know certain save files cannot be moved since they are connected/registered to the specific Wii because of internet connectivity. I would assume those can't be recovered since they cannot be copied to the SD card and saved. But what about the save data that can be moved to an SD card? Couldn't you just back those up to a second SD card?

- You cannot access the leaderboards and play online. The WiiU uses a 6 to 16 character Network ID to identify online users. The 16-digit friend code is no longer applicable.
    That's bad. I would think the Wii U would basically emulates a Wii when playing Wii games. It's what the 3DS does to properly use the internet connectivity for DSi games. It even had a separate Wi-Fi menu for DSi internet. Maybe you just haven't set up the Wi-fi correctly on the Wii U for Wii games?

This would really be bad if it cannot support online. You wouldn't be able to connect to the Rock Band store. How would I be able to purchase any new music? Would I have to buy it on the old Wii then transfer it to the Wii U each time? Is that even allowed? Or is the transfer Wii DLC content a one time process thing that can only be done once?

This is Harmonix's game. You'd think they give us proper info for moving their DLC to the new system.

I didn't buy the WiiU for RB3 specifically, so I'm fine with waiting to see what happens. But if you are basing your decision solely on whether RB3 will give you the same experience on the WiiU that Xbox and PS3 users enjoy, the answer as of today is no, it won't. But that could change.

I didn't get it thinking it would be the same experience as the PS3/xbox although that would be a benefit. Mostly I want to get a Wii U so my music collection can continue to live in the next generation gaming. That and because my Wii probably won't last forever as I've have some problems with it before.
    edited November 2012
    For the upscale thing, If a Wii emulator can do 1080p, add teselation, and all sorts of other stuff, I guess a console can too, and they probably did. In a matter of fact, wii games supports 1080p, but not the wii itself.
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929041 said:
    For the upscale thing, If a Wii emulator can do 1080p, add teselation, and all sorts of other stuff, I guess a console can too, and they probably did. In a matter of fact, wii games supports 1080p, but not the wii itself.

Well that supposed faq from IGN says it doesn't. Even old Reggie himself confirmed it. But if they secretly added that in at the last minute, then that would be great. Can anyone confirm?
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929041 said:

Confirmed no upresing. Games play in their native resolution, but the only difference is that the 480p signal gets upscaled (not upresed) by the console instead of the TV which may cut back on lag since the upscaling was being done on the TV, which is often not as good, too.
    edited November 2012
    ok. As long as it looks better, then that should be fine too.
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929066 said:
    Well that supposed faq from IGN says it doesn't. Even old Reggie himself confirmed it. But if they secretly added that in at the last minute, then that would be great. Can anyone confirm?

I use a wii emulator since my wii died. I can confirm that the wii games supports full HD, nothing like PSX or N64 emulator where they upscale, you can clearly see that the game itself supports it, kinda like a PC where you can change the resolution. In fact, wii games has nice graphics when played in HD.
    rockman said:
    Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?
    Seeing how the file system works on wii, either no instruments works, or all of them works.
    edited November 2012
    I've seen pics of Wii being emulated. Certainly does look nice in HD. Really doubt Nintendo will support this since the games where not meant to run in HD, it can cause screen problems.
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929070 said:
    I've seen pics of Wii being emulated. Certainly does look nice in HD. Really doubt Nintendo will support this since the games where not meant to run in HD, it can cause screen problems.

Never had a problems other than not-so-well supported games in emulation. And in fact, there isn't alot of games that aren't supported, those I know are the GH and the RB games, I tried for the hell of it, and nope, no go at all. But all of the other games I've tried so far, it runs number 1, in full HD, no screen problems, nothing. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the wiiU. Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted to do it because it ''could'' cause some problems on some games I guess, but I really doubt it would frankly. It's even kinda sad if the WiiU doesn't support wii games in HD IMHO.
    edited November 2012
    Ahh, that's too bad RB doesn't work on emulator. Monster Hunter must be pretty sweet in HD glory! :D
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929072 said:
    Ahh, that's too bad RB doesn't work on emulator. Monster Hunter must be pretty sweet in HD glory! :D

I didn't tried Monster Hunter Tri... yet. RB and GH technically works, but once you get in a song, the game speed goes 2x slower, making the game unplayable... lol
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929071 said:
    Never had a problems other than not-so-well supported games in emulation. And in fact, there isn't alot of games that aren't supported, those I know are the GH and the RB games, I tried for the hell of it, and nope, no go at all. But all of the other games I've tried so far, it runs number 1, in full HD, no screen problems, nothing. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the wiiU. Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted to do it because it ''could'' cause some problems on some games I guess, but I really doubt it would frankly. It's even kinda sad if the WiiU doesn't support wii games in HD IMHO.

It's actually much more complicated than it seems. Point is, Wii U plays Wii games exactly as they were played on the regular Wii console, including no upresing of the graphics. The only visual difference there will be is as I mentioned before is a slightly cleaner image because of the Wii U upscaling the graphics for HD output over HDMI instead of through the TV via Component.

Using the picture example from before, I can create this comparison which is probably fairly accurate.
    http://imgur.com/9DWY4,R5A0Z#0
    First is a Wii estimate and second is a Wii U estimate.
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    You're basically emulating a Wii... wouldn't you just put your Wii U into Wii mode, and set it up exactly the same way you set up your Wii? The Wii U online and Wii online modes probably aren't
    You'd have to re-enter your friend codes again in Wii mode, but it should work identically to your old Wii.

Doing a system transfer removes all your data from the old Wii EXCEPT Gamecube saves and your Wii Channels.

The Wii Shop Channel should still be working.

The "upscaling" you're seeing is probably the fact that the game is now being run through an HDMI cable.

Games with locked Wi-Fi data (i.e. Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and Just Dance) should transfer just fine.
    edited November 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4929077 said:
    It's actually much more complicated than it seems. Point is, Wii U plays Wii games exactly as they were played on the regular Wii console, including no upresing of the graphics. The only visual difference there will be is as I mentioned before is a slightly cleaner image because of the Wii U upscaling the graphics for HD output over HDMI instead of through the TV via Component.

Using the picture example from before, I can create this comparison which is probably fairly accurate.
    http://imgur.com/9DWY4,R5A0Z#0
    First is a Wii estimate and second is a Wii U estimate.

This is very sad. I'll stick with emulation then.