Wii U Situation

KippmanKippman Opening Act
edited January 2013 in Rock Band
So, about transferring my DLC songs to the Wii U.... I kinda wanna sell my Wii and put the money towards a Wii U, but do you think I'll need to keep my Wii for the transfer process? Or will I just need to keep the SD card with all the songs? Any help would be great, so I don't go and sell the Wii and then lose about 90 songs

Comments

  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928922 said:
    I could, but without the ability to access the leaderboards and play online, there's not much point. I can always play in local online mode on the Wii - no skips and full leaderboard access.

    There's skips on the WiiU? That's not a good sign for RB3 online play.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928927 said:
    There's skips on the WiiU? That's not a good sign for RB3 online play.

    I can't say for certain if there are skips on the WiiU or not - can't play online yet.

    There were no skips when I played a couple disc songs offline on the WiiU. Everything was nice and smooth.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I imagine it looks better through the Wii U. On my TV it looks extra bad with lots of blur and noise artifacts. Does it look closer to something like this? http://i.imgur.com/NE0L1.png
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928927 said:
    There's skips on the WiiU? That's not a good sign for RB3 online play.

    There is no skips on wii RB3 online and offline. However many people complain about being unable to calibrate properly. I own 3 versions of RB3, the wii port was decently made, the store is garbage tho.

    I am impressed by the image StackOverFlow0x posted
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928899 said:
    I picked up a WiiU today. Here's what I know.

    - RB3 and instruments work just fine on the WiiU. The game looks great in 1080p, note highways are nice and clean and very sharp.
    1080p? I thought they said Wii U wouldn't upscale Wii games. You sure? If it does, that's really cool. Rock Band is really the only reason why I would want to upgrade to a Wii U. Well that and Monster Hunter :)

    EDIT: According to this article, it does not support 1080p backwards compatibility.
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Frequently_Asked_Questions

    Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?

    - I believe it is possible to transfer dlc from the Wii to the WiiU. There is an option to transfer all your save files over. However, you can't pick and choose which save files you can transfer - it's an all-or-nothing situation. And once you make the transfer, those files are erased from the Wii and can't be recovered.
    Does it specifically say the save files cannot be recovered? I know certain save files cannot be moved since they are connected/registered to the specific Wii because of internet connectivity. I would assume those can't be recovered since they cannot be copied to the SD card and saved. But what about the save data that can be moved to an SD card? Couldn't you just back those up to a second SD card?

    - You cannot access the leaderboards and play online. The WiiU uses a 6 to 16 character Network ID to identify online users. The 16-digit friend code is no longer applicable.
    That's bad. I would think the Wii U would basically emulates a Wii when playing Wii games. It's what the 3DS does to properly use the internet connectivity for DSi games. It even had a separate Wi-Fi menu for DSi internet. Maybe you just haven't set up the Wi-fi correctly on the Wii U for Wii games?

    I am not going to transfer my files until Harmonix says whether or not it will support online play on the WiiU. Don't want to risk not being able to go back and play online on the Wii without the friend roster and dlc I have compiled.
    This would really be bad if it cannot support online. You wouldn't be able to connect to the Rock Band store. How would I be able to purchase any new music? Would I have to buy it on the old Wii then transfer it to the Wii U each time? Is that even allowed? Or is the transfer Wii DLC content a one time process thing that can only be done once?

    This is Harmonix's game. You'd think they give us proper info for moving their DLC to the new system.

    I didn't buy the WiiU for RB3 specifically, so I'm fine with waiting to see what happens. But if you are basing your decision solely on whether RB3 will give you the same experience on the WiiU that Xbox and PS3 users enjoy, the answer as of today is no, it won't. But that could change.

    I didn't get it thinking it would be the same experience as the PS3/xbox although that would be a benefit. Mostly I want to get a Wii U so my music collection can continue to live in the next generation gaming. That and because my Wii probably won't last forever as I've have some problems with it before.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    For the upscale thing, If a Wii emulator can do 1080p, add teselation, and all sorts of other stuff, I guess a console can too, and they probably did. In a matter of fact, wii games supports 1080p, but not the wii itself.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929041 said:
    For the upscale thing, If a Wii emulator can do 1080p, add teselation, and all sorts of other stuff, I guess a console can too, and they probably did. In a matter of fact, wii games supports 1080p, but not the wii itself.


    Well that supposed faq from IGN says it doesn't. Even old Reggie himself confirmed it. But if they secretly added that in at the last minute, then that would be great. Can anyone confirm?
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929041 said:
    For the upscale thing, If a Wii emulator can do 1080p, add teselation, and all sorts of other stuff, I guess a console can too, and they probably did. In a matter of fact, wii games supports 1080p, but not the wii itself.

    Confirmed no upresing. Games play in their native resolution, but the only difference is that the 480p signal gets upscaled (not upresed) by the console instead of the TV which may cut back on lag since the upscaling was being done on the TV, which is often not as good, too.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    ok. As long as it looks better, then that should be fine too.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929066 said:
    Well that supposed faq from IGN says it doesn't. Even old Reggie himself confirmed it. But if they secretly added that in at the last minute, then that would be great. Can anyone confirm?

    I use a wii emulator since my wii died. I can confirm that the wii games supports full HD, nothing like PSX or N64 emulator where they upscale, you can clearly see that the game itself supports it, kinda like a PC where you can change the resolution. In fact, wii games has nice graphics when played in HD.
    rockman said:
    Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?
    Seeing how the file system works on wii, either no instruments works, or all of them works.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I've seen pics of Wii being emulated. Certainly does look nice in HD. Really doubt Nintendo will support this since the games where not meant to run in HD, it can cause screen problems.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929070 said:
    I've seen pics of Wii being emulated. Certainly does look nice in HD. Really doubt Nintendo will support this since the games where not meant to run in HD, it can cause screen problems.

    Never had a problems other than not-so-well supported games in emulation. And in fact, there isn't alot of games that aren't supported, those I know are the GH and the RB games, I tried for the hell of it, and nope, no go at all. But all of the other games I've tried so far, it runs number 1, in full HD, no screen problems, nothing. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the wiiU. Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted to do it because it ''could'' cause some problems on some games I guess, but I really doubt it would frankly. It's even kinda sad if the WiiU doesn't support wii games in HD IMHO.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Ahh, that's too bad RB doesn't work on emulator. Monster Hunter must be pretty sweet in HD glory! :D
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929072 said:
    Ahh, that's too bad RB doesn't work on emulator. Monster Hunter must be pretty sweet in HD glory! :D

    I didn't tried Monster Hunter Tri... yet. RB and GH technically works, but once you get in a song, the game speed goes 2x slower, making the game unplayable... lol
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929071 said:
    Never had a problems other than not-so-well supported games in emulation. And in fact, there isn't alot of games that aren't supported, those I know are the GH and the RB games, I tried for the hell of it, and nope, no go at all. But all of the other games I've tried so far, it runs number 1, in full HD, no screen problems, nothing. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the wiiU. Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted to do it because it ''could'' cause some problems on some games I guess, but I really doubt it would frankly. It's even kinda sad if the WiiU doesn't support wii games in HD IMHO.

    It's actually much more complicated than it seems. Point is, Wii U plays Wii games exactly as they were played on the regular Wii console, including no upresing of the graphics. The only visual difference there will be is as I mentioned before is a slightly cleaner image because of the Wii U upscaling the graphics for HD output over HDMI instead of through the TV via Component.

    Using the picture example from before, I can create this comparison which is probably fairly accurate.
    http://imgur.com/9DWY4,R5A0Z#0
    First is a Wii estimate and second is a Wii U estimate.
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    You're basically emulating a Wii... wouldn't you just put your Wii U into Wii mode, and set it up exactly the same way you set up your Wii? The Wii U online and Wii online modes probably aren't
    You'd have to re-enter your friend codes again in Wii mode, but it should work identically to your old Wii.

    Doing a system transfer removes all your data from the old Wii EXCEPT Gamecube saves and your Wii Channels.

    The Wii Shop Channel should still be working.

    The "upscaling" you're seeing is probably the fact that the game is now being run through an HDMI cable.

    Games with locked Wi-Fi data (i.e. Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and Just Dance) should transfer just fine.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4929077 said:
    It's actually much more complicated than it seems. Point is, Wii U plays Wii games exactly as they were played on the regular Wii console, including no upresing of the graphics. The only visual difference there will be is as I mentioned before is a slightly cleaner image because of the Wii U upscaling the graphics for HD output over HDMI instead of through the TV via Component.

    Using the picture example from before, I can create this comparison which is probably fairly accurate.
    http://imgur.com/9DWY4,R5A0Z#0
    First is a Wii estimate and second is a Wii U estimate.

    This is very sad. I'll stick with emulation then.
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4928988 said:
    Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?
    I'm pretty sure the words, "Compatible to wii's accessories" answers your question.
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I will say the opening splash screens on Rock Band 3 do look better with the Wii U, but as has been mentioned, I think it's the HDMI cable more than anything else.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4929067 said:
    Confirmed no upresing. Games play in their native resolution, but the only difference is that the 480p signal gets upscaled (not upresed) by the console instead of the TV which may cut back on lag since the upscaling was being done on the TV, which is often not as good, too.


    Yeah I got the daughter a Wii U and picked up a couple wii games she would like as well.

    I can more than confirm that the Wii U doesn't upscale as it shifts into Wii mode when you put in a Wii game. It basically emulates the Wii hardware exactly.

    It looks a tad better (but I'd put that down to HDMI cables doing a bit of cleaning up), but it in no way looks HD (the Wii graphics).
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I stand corrected on the resolution issue, then. Agreed that it's the HDMI cable making the difference.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4928988 said:
    1080p? I thought they said Wii U wouldn't upscale Wii games. You sure? If it does, that's really cool. Rock Band is really the only reason why I would want to upgrade to a Wii U. Well that and Monster Hunter :)

    EDIT: According to this article, it does not support 1080p backwards compatibility.
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Frequently_Asked_Questions

    Just curious, what instruments did you try? I would assume the guitar and drums definitely work since those use the the Wii mote. But what about the Keyboard? That requires a USB dongle. And what of the Mustang Pro Guitar? Also what about the Midi Pro Adapter?





    Does it specifically say the save files cannot be recovered? I know certain save files cannot be moved since they are connected/registered to the specific Wii because of internet connectivity. I would assume those can't be recovered since they cannot be copied to the SD card and saved. But what about the save data that can be moved to an SD card? Couldn't you just back those up to a second SD card?





    That's bad. I would think the Wii U would basically emulates a Wii when playing Wii games. It's what the 3DS does to properly use the internet connectivity for DSi games. It even had a separate Wi-Fi menu for DSi internet. Maybe you just haven't set up the Wi-fi correctly on the Wii U for Wii games?





    This would really be bad if it cannot support online. You wouldn't be able to connect to the Rock Band store. How would I be able to purchase any new music? Would I have to buy it on the old Wii then transfer it to the Wii U each time? Is that even allowed? Or is the transfer Wii DLC content a one time process thing that can only be done once?

    This is Harmonix's game. You'd think they give us proper info for moving their DLC to the new system.





    I didn't get it thinking it would be the same experience as the PS3/xbox although that would be a benefit. Mostly I want to get a Wii U so my music collection can continue to live in the next generation gaming. That and because my Wii probably won't last forever as I've have some problems with it before.


    I played guitar/bass only using the Wiimote. I was also able to plug in my mic (which has a dongle) and it worked.

    I am not aware of whether it's possible to set up Wi-Fi in a different manner for Wii games.

    Still not willing to transfer everything over based on the problems others have had. I don't want to risk losing everything I've built up in friends and dlc on the Wii to not have it work on the WiiU.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4928899 said:
    - You cannot access the leaderboards and play online. The WiiU uses a 6 to 16 character Network ID to identify online users. The 16-digit friend code is no longer applicable.
    FYI, my understanding on this issue is online isn't enabled on the Wii-U yet, but once it is, emulated Wii games will use the same setup as normal Wii games and will be playable online that way.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    So I'm a bit confused, lemme get this straight: You can't play online on RB3 on the Wii U, but your DLC will be transferable?
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    brookfieldworldorder;4929236 said:
    I played guitar/bass only using the Wiimote. I was also able to plug in my mic (which has a dongle) and it worked.

    I am not aware of whether it's possible to set up Wi-Fi in a different manner for Wii games.

    Still not willing to transfer everything over based on the problems others have had. I don't want to risk losing everything I've built up in friends and dlc on the Wii to not have it work on the WiiU.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Even little, it was still helpful.

    Do you have a Midi Pro Adapter you can try out?
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929390 said:
    Even little, it was still helpful.

    Do you have a Midi Pro Adapter you can try out?

    If the mic works, everything works, on the wii, it's all or nothing. If the mic works it means the update for the files for the instruments works.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Sorry, no.
    I wont accept 'this works so that means that should work too' as an answer.

    Apparently many thought that Rock Band DLC would transfer flawlessly to Wii U while I pointed out that there could be problems. Not many believed me and now look what happened. Same as using the SD Card to store RB DLC. It's not compatible.

    So until someone tests and verifies that the MPA actually works I'll continue to view it as 'incompatible.'
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I find this rather funny because the other day i was playing Guitar Hero online on wii with a friend who was on Wii U. Maybe the Wii version of RB3 just happens to have that many bugs? I also watched how the system goes in to wii mode. It resets the console and boots in to the Wii OS. Meaning the Wii U Wii mode is basically a 2nd OS on the same console, not emulation like everyone says. Underclocks and allocates the same amount of system memory a normal wii has.

    There is no reason RB3 shouldn't work. I would be all for a digital port of RB3 on wii u if that meant that wii u users can use their DLC and imports no problem and maybe even on the USB drives.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    ASPMike;4929569 said:
    maybe even on the USB drives.

    This won't happend unless you have an option to re-route the SD card to an USB port in the wii mode. The only way to read DLC via USB on a wii is via homebrew.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    A dongle for the Microphone? You mean it's connecting into one of the dongles like the Keyboard one? Does keyboard work and does the Wii U-branded microphone also work?
Sign In or Register to comment.