When will Rock Band 3 be Exportable?

dominicrosales23dominicrosales23 Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
It's been a few weeks since Rock Band Blitz has been out, and usually the games before hand have an expected date that they will be exportable. I'd imagine it will cost $9.99 (800 MSP) like other RB games, but I haven't heard any announcements thus far. Any ideas?

Comments

  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    It might, if blitz sells really, really well
  • dominicrosales23dominicrosales23 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    It just seems weird that RB3 has some of the best songs and it isn't exportable, if not yet.
  • edited September 2012
    Blitz is not "The Next" Rock Band, it is a side road, a pit stop of fun as it were, so I would not jump to any conclusions about potential exportability until if, and hopefully when, a new full band title gets released/announced.

    Its not like Blitz is hurting for a larger song library. :P
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4877908 said:
    Its not like Blitz is hurting for a larger song library. :P
    I know it's not, but it would be awesome to play some of those songs in blitz. My god, I would pay to have the killing moon in blitz :3
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    To reiterate what the great DOC already said..

    I wouldn't expect RB 3 to be exportable until the next RB game is released.
    Here's hoping that is a strong reality.

    =)
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    There's no way I'd pay the ten bucks for a Blitz-only RB3 export. Too many terrible songs and not nearly enough good ones. I'm pretty generous with my five-lighter ratings and only one RB3 song got one (In a Big Country). For an 83-song set, that's abysmal.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4877908 said:
    Blitz is not "The Next" Rock Band, it is a side road, a pit stop of fun as it were, so I would not jump to any conclusions about potential exportability until if, and hopefully when, a new full band title gets released/announced.

    Its not like Blitz is hurting for a larger song library. :P

    What if Blitz is the Coup de gr
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    [QUOTE=Witticus;4878268]What if Blitz is the Coup de gr
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    As a question of technical capability (and not of feasability, cost effectiveness, or any of the other things www has already thought of to try to tear down my post), can downloadable hard-drive-installed games read data from game discs, on the PS3 and the Xbox360?

    I just don't know if installed games can do that - if an installed game can invoke disc drive functions. Theoretically, it would be... amusing... if (a patched) Rock Band Blitz could detect the presence of an RB3 disc in the drive and could stream the music data files from their known location in the filesystem on the disc at run-time, allowing the RB3 tracks to be played by RB3 owners without the mess of a formal disc export. (Similar think could be done for the track files embedded in the Game-on-Demand install). And I wonder if not being 'exported' or downloaded would ease any issues related to licensing costs normally associated with an export.

    Theoretically.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Epsilon82;4878350 said:
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think it just might be. After RB3 sold so much worse than previous games despite being amazingly fully featured (a few nagging issues aside), it's hard to imagine the mass market coming back to conventional instruments anytime soon. And pretty soon there will be new hardware, which poses a unique challenge for the Rock Band series, because neither Sony nor Microsoft seem to have any desire to include backward compatibility, so the logistics of somehow getting PS3/360 files for DLC onto a new system for a new game could prove daunting or way too expensive to be feasible.

    The alternative is to get something out before the new hardware launches, but somehow I think we'd have heard something by now (it's almost been 2 years since RB3 launched.)

    I'm a little surprised to finally see I'm not alone in thinking this. Seems like everyone else here begins sentences with "When RB4 comes out......" I will be shocked if there is ever an RB4, and I include the new generation of consoles in that.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    But yeah, it would be really cool to play the ultimate driving song in Blitz......but that'll have to wait. Possibly forever.
  • edited September 2012
    I really wanna play 25 or 6 to 4 in Blitz.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I would like to the play The Cure's song. but that's really the only disc song i ever touch anymore. the rest are meh.
  • dominicrosales23dominicrosales23 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    The point it, the new export could open up more achievements, and the money they earn from the exports could go towards making a new Rock Band, even if that means another track pack. Or maybe even another band based game. The Beatles Rock Band and Green Day Rock Band were both huge successes. Guitar Hero did Aerosmith, Metallica. Those are all big bands, but if Rock Band did a band like Pink Floyd or another over requested band that has never had a song in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, let alone have pro mode in it, they would simply conquer all music and rhythm games out there.

    Think about it guys, it could open up a whole new door and start something huge. Agree to disagree?
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    dominicrosales23;4878780 said:
    and the money they earn from the exports could go towards making a new Rock Band

    Not likely at all. I'm sure the devs have said they don't make a profit from exports. They break even
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    dominicrosales23;4878780 said:
    The point it, the new export could open up more achievements, and the money they earn from the exports could go towards making a new Rock Band, even if that means another track pack. Or maybe even another band based game. The Beatles Rock Band and Green Day Rock Band were both huge successes. Guitar Hero did Aerosmith, Metallica. Those are all big bands, but if Rock Band did a band like Pink Floyd or another over requested band that has never had a song in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, let alone have pro mode in it, they would simply conquer all music and rhythm games out there.

    Think about it guys, it could open up a whole new door and start something huge. Agree to disagree?

    band-based games don't sell as well as you might think.
    also, there might be a very good reason why we don't have any pink floyd, let alone an entire game for them
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2012
    I'm a big a Rock Band fan as you're going to find. I'll be with the franchise until the end (which I hope never comes, but honestly at this point?)

    I'd love for there to be a Rock Band 4. Really I would. Nothing would make me happier.

    But let's face facts. Rock Band 3 didn't sell anywhere near what was hoped it would. The fan base has dwindled to probably less than 20,000 at this point. It costs a LOT to manufacture the plastic instruments, and retailers have been burned once by the big kits cluttering up their stores when the bottom fell out of the genre. So getting them to stock the big band kits again is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

    Now Harmonix hasn't came out and said no there will not be a Rock Band 4, BUT they never said no there's not going to be anymore Beatles DLC but I think we all know at this point there's not going to be anymore Beatles DLC.

    I think Blitz was a way for them to get a new Rock Band title out there without the HUGE risk of putting out a retail title with instruments and then it possibly bombs. Because I can't imagine the millions of dollars it would cost to get the instruments, discs, distribution, etc, and if that fails...it could mean the end of Harmonix.

    So I would LOVE to be proved wrong. Really I would. But realistically at this point in the franchise, where things are at in the genre, I don't see another retail RB title unless the genre comes back like the fighting genre did (and that took almost 15 years of it being on the fringes).

    The thing I hope for is that when the new consoles come out at the very least RB3 will work with them (there's a digital copy on the 360, AND according to what we've heard dlc and purchases will carry over with your gamer tag to the new consoles), or they'll put out a 'shell' Rock Band arcade title on the new consoles that will have updated graphics and venues, that allows you to 'import' your existing DLC to the new machines, and hopefully ups the maximum song limit. However even if that happens we still have the problem of instruments. They're getting scarce now, and in another year they're going to be like spotting bigfoot riding a pegasus. More and more instruments are just going to fail over time, and with no plans for new stock, then...well how can there be a new Rock Band title to continue the franchise if the very thing you use to play the games can't be purchased anywhere?

    BUT I digress, and even if Rock Band ends with this current console generation then honestly it's been a hell of a ride, and I doubt that the accomplishments that Harmonix has made with Rock Band just in the DLC department alone will ever be repeated. And at the very least Rock Band 3 and all our DLC will still work with our current consoles and there's enough music there to keep us busy for a very long time.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    dominicrosales23;4878780 said:
    The Beatles Rock Band and Green Day Rock Band were both huge successes.

    Uh....what?

    Beatles did really really well, yes, but Green Day did horribly.
  • RevhallowRevhallow Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4878856 said:
    ...BUT I digress, and even if Rock Band ends with this current console generation then honestly it's been a hell of a ride, and I doubt that the accomplishments that Harmonix has made with Rock Band just in the DLC department alone will ever be repeated. And at the very least Rock Band 3 and all our DLC will still work with our current consoles and there's enough music there to keep us busy for a very long time.
    Wow. Reading your post made me feel like I did while watching the ending to Toy Story 3... Almost made me tear up. (your post... Toy Story 3 did in fact make me... tear up... lol)

    EDIT: Oh, I forgot what I was even going to post: Until seeing this thread, I didn't even realize that the RB3 songs aren't available in Blitz, lmao.
  • Logan812Logan812 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4877908 said:
    Its not like Blitz is hurting for a larger song library. :P

    No, but it is hurting for Primus. :P
  • DragonclawDragonclaw Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    In all honesty if *I* were at HMX we'd see a RB4, but as long as MS and Sony are letting downloaded purchases carry over to the next systems I'd shoot for RB4 being a launch title the day the new Xbox drops. We know the countdown is on for our current systems to be abandoned, it makes more sense to launch on the next system where they can push DLC with the newer crowd than a system people will be transitioning out of.

    Hopefully we'll see exports of RB3 and maybe (dare I hope) The Beatles, that will work with RB4 and Blitz.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Dragonclaw;4880068 said:
    In all honesty if *I* were at HMX we'd see a RB4

    You can't say that. That's like saying some foreign policy decision you'd make if you were the President. You don't have the information necessary to reach such a conclusion.

    HMX might know fully well that a new retail release for RB would utterly freaking ruin them. (I don't know either, I don't have the information either)
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4879092 said:
    Uh....what?

    Beatles did really really well, yes, but Green Day did horribly.

    Both did well. The Beatles sold a lot more, but also had a much higher liscencing cost.
  • SvenBroSvenBro Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I doubt we'll get RB4 but I've said it years ago and I'll say it again: make it real instruments only. The tracklist would just be the old RB tracklists but with real instruments. Keep the visuals essentially the same. The guitar/bass would be like Rocksmith, the drums basically pro drums but with hit-hat/multiple crash/flam/double kick/etc toggles, keys would be pro two-handed, vocals stay the same or also register between octaves. Decrease legacy DLC production, increase convertion of all legacy DLC, ideally chronologically. Get the game sold in music stores as a gamefied teacher to learn 150-4k songs on a real instrument. Include a trainer mode that increasingly hides notes as the person continues to play well to ensure better memorization and a lowered reliance on the visual notechart. For real musicians throw in a tools option to record and play your own music locally and integrate with RBN to release the songs just by playing them ingame.

    Maybe switch to a subscription model that requires you to be online to play. Pay $x/month for access to the entire library, licensed by paying the artist $y every time Z song is played.

    Not going to happen, I know. It would be amazing though.
  • fuzzy510fuzzy510 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4878856 said:
    I think Blitz was a way for them to get a new Rock Band title out there without the HUGE risk of putting out a retail title with instruments and then it possibly bombs. Because I can't imagine the millions of dollars it would cost to get the instruments, discs, distribution, etc, and if that fails...it could mean the end of Harmonix.

    I think it's probably more likely that the Harmonix guys realized that there wasn't a market for another full retail Rock Band title for this console generation, had some time on their hands, and came up with Rock Band Blitz. Remember, Rock Band 3 was released nearly two years ago, and it'll probably be another year before new console hardware is announced. That's a LONG time to sit around waiting while only devoting resources to Dance Central.

    If the tech is such that controllers from the previous generation carry over, as does DLC and downloadable games, I think there's a very good chance we see a Rock Band 4. If it takes a whole new set of hardware, however, along with a commitment to build a music library from scratch again, I'd imagine that Harmonix calls it a franchise. Asking people to buy in for another $60 for the game is one matter. Asking them to buy in for $200 for the full suite of controllers, plus countless more for DLC, is another matter altogether.
  • dominicrosales23dominicrosales23 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    But let's face facts. Rock Band 3 didn't sell anywhere near what was hoped it would. The fan base has dwindled to probably less than 20,000 at this point. It costs a LOT to manufacture the plastic instruments, and retailers have been burned once by the big kits cluttering up their stores when the bottom fell out of the genre. So getting them to stock the big band kits again is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.
    True, but with Rock Band Blitz, they didn't have to make any new instruments or what not, and again, if they made another Track Pack that was worth buying, it could also throw them back into the huge game. And there's still tons and tons of RB fans out there, a lot left because of what RB3 had to offer - real instruments. It wasn't until about two months ago that I got the wire to hook up my keyboard to the game, and I love it, but I'm left handed, and the guitars that they released for the game are NOT left handed guitars at all. Still, I love the game, and would love a new Rock Band, if not for a new experience, at least for another killer setlist.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    "Rock Band" isn't Rock Band without the instrument peripherals.

    I haven't seen any good solutions proposed here for how to make instrument peripheral sales a viable money making business in today's market. HMX was smart to get out of that business when they did. If HMX had produced peripherals for RB3, it's possible that GH wouldn't be the only one sitting it out at this point in time.

    Until that gets resolved, don't expect to see any movement on a new retail/disk title. The market has already said that they don't want to be spending big money on plastic peripherals again.

    What HMX has now is a pretty huge library of songs/content to deal with, and they have to figure out how to build games/apps to leverage that content. Blitz was just the first crack at that.

    Personally, I think HMX and GH need to partner up, and develop a title which can draw on both libraries in an interesting way, and by teaming up, they'll help mitigate the risk involved. The "Guitar Hero" name is a powerful one, and is better positioned to capture mainstream gamer attention than "Rock Band" is, IMO.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SvenBro;4880253 said:
    I doubt we'll get RB4 but I've said it years ago and I'll say it again: make it real instruments only. The tracklist would just be the old RB tracklists but with real instruments. Keep the visuals essentially the same. The guitar/bass would be like Rocksmith, the drums basically pro drums but with hit-hat/multiple crash/flam/double kick/etc toggles, keys would be pro two-handed, vocals stay the same or also register between octaves. Decrease legacy DLC production, increase convertion of all legacy DLC, ideally chronologically. Get the game sold in music stores as a gamefied teacher to learn 150-4k songs on a real instrument. Include a trainer mode that increasingly hides notes as the person continues to play well to ensure better memorization and a lowered reliance on the visual notechart. For real musicians throw in a tools option to record and play your own music locally and integrate with RBN to release the songs just by playing them ingame.

    Maybe switch to a subscription model that requires you to be online to play. Pay $x/month for access to the entire library, licensed by paying the artist $y every time Z song is played.

    Not going to happen, I know. It would be amazing though.

    Pro instument usage is such a tiny percentage of overall Rock Band (the main title) usage, that it's amazing that they continue to support pro players at all. Pro does not seem like a money generating business at this point in time. At all. The hardware vendors like Fender would appear to agree.

    When you're in a niche market, you gotta focus on doing what you do best. In this case, it's the ability to get mainstream gamers interested in rhthym games. Whether that's using a plastic guitar to mimic the feeling of playing a real instrument, or banging the A and B buttons in time with the music across multiple highways...that's what HMX does best. And now that they have a massive library that they've spent years building up (and building a crazy innovative user-upload system in RBN, to boot)...building apps on top of THAT is the way to go.

    Content is everything.
  • SvenBroSvenBro Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I guess I didn't explain myself quite as clearly as I wanted.
    samjjones;4880471 said:
    Pro instument usage is such a tiny percentage of overall Rock Band (the main title) usage, that it's amazing that they continue to support pro players at all. Pro does not seem like a money generating business at this point in time. At all. The hardware vendors like Fender would appear to agree.
    Do you know one big reason pro usage is tiny? No one ******* knows about it. I've played GH/RB constantly since GH1 and have always enjoyed gauging the average person's knowledge about the different series'. Yes, this is anecdotal but I guarantee it's a good sampling over the past four years of RB alone. I know a lot of people who own one or two of the RB games and only the people I've told know that I can use my Yamaha DTXpress IV to play RB3. Except super fans, very few know about the Mustang and Squier; it doesn't really matter since they're both complete garbage anyways and are the wrong approach to playing "for real". Fender agrees with you because they had to make an overpriced POS peripheral that didn't sell. Would they agree the same if their regular guitar sales jumped from a $60 teacher that got rave reviews from music teachers and marketing in music stores to go along with Billy's Christmas gift? Look at it as more an interactive tab book and less a casual party game.

    My intent is to not make any new instruments at all. Just do what Rocksmith does and allow the player to use whatever they have lying around or as an incentive to buy, which is why it should be primarily sold in music stores. Game retailers will never again agree to carry the overpriced (not in actual production cost but in relative value for the average person's usage) plastic bundles. The people who want to play a fun plastic game can play RB3/Blitz and the 4k songs they already have. Music rhythm is now a super small niche market as you've said; you may as well do something grande with it and truly teach people.
    Whether that's using a plastic guitar to mimic the feeling of playing a real instrument, or banging the A and B buttons in time with the music across multiple highways...that's what HMX does best.
    HMX is also damn good at letting me play very, very close to real drums with my e-kit. I use two crashes and rides plus a double-kick. Why would they want to stop at plastic instruments? Why just "mimic" when they can definitely do the same quality highway charting for real?
    And now that they have a massive library that they've spent years building up (and building a crazy innovative user-upload system in RBN, to boot)...building apps on top of THAT is the way to go.

    Content is everything.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm proposing but as several apps on one disc to enhance the basic game. Include a trainer app to hide notes to decrease reliance on a visual notechart. Use a tools app to record and replay music locally. Use an enhanced RBN app to upload songs to be play tested and copyright checked. Imagine how much faster music could proliferate if bands could play-test other bands' music for them. And HMX would convert all legacy DLC to real instruments, to build upon the "content is everything" library they already created.

    I've spent thousands on discs, bundles, and DLC; I continue to buy DLC entirely because I can play it on my e-kit. I feel a lot more people would do the same if they knew they could use the instruments they already own. I will never buy plastic instruments again and I doubt I'm alone in that.
Sign In or Register to comment.