NBA Baller Beats

horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
So there's some Majesco game that recently came out with a Kinect basketball game that comes with a real basketball, but this isn't exactly a plain old b-ball game, it's a RHYTHM B-BALL GAME. This game seems to be to basketball what Rocksmith is for guitar, which seems really cool. The only two problems are that most living rooms are carpeted and absorb too much shock, and that living rooms aren't known for being all spacious. Other than that, the game looks pretty cool and has a great soundtrack that fits very well with the basketball aesthetic and seems like a good way to get better at basketball (given you have, like, a tapdancing platform to play it on or something)

Has anybody here played it? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited September 2012
    My thoughts?

Stupidest idea ever

Absolutely will not work for the vast majority of apartments and the even vaster majority of bedrooms. Also the sound track is almost complete garbage.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    This is doomed to fail.

First of all, you'll have to have a hard floor to play this (and even then, I don't think it's a great idea to be bouncing a ball on a nice wood floor or something like that) and most people have carpets anyway which makes bouncing a ball and this game for that matter impossible to play. Second of all, you'll have to have a lot of space to be doing crossovers and basketball moves indoors which not many average people have. Third of all, I can see a lot of people breaking their lamps, tables, whatever that's in the vicinity of someone playing this game. Having to pay attention to the screen more than bouncing the ball, you can easily lose the ball and suddenly you have a loose basketball bouncing around your living room. Not a good situation.

Unless you have a huge room to play in that doesn't have any expensive furniture or appliances that can break and has hard floors, you can play this game. And how many people have that? Answer, not the majority that's for sure.

Just watch the trailer for this game, they're playing in a huge building with hardly any furniture and has a concrete floor. This game is beyond stupid.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Looks like an interesting idea for a game, to be honest. The audience is somewhat limited for reasons already mentioned, but I don't think the developers expect it to be as big as most other games. It's more of a learning tool than a game, anyway.

Plus, you have no idea how jealous I am that they got Chromeo on the soundtrack. Holy **** funkiest band of all-time right there.
    edited September 2012
    Learning tool? My 2 year old cousin can dribble a basketball. Here is a video of it being played. The dribbling isnt even to the beat or anything so I have no idea why music is even included.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4878698 said:
    Learning tool? My 2 year old cousin can dribble a basketball.

Playing this game may get more people interested in playing basketball, in the same way that Rock Band 3 got more people interested in playing 'real' instruments.
    edited September 2012
    Runesmith;4879152 said:
    Playing this game may get more people interested in playing basketball, in the same way that Rock Band 3 got more people interested in playing 'real' instruments.

I dont think so. I think people that buy this game are people that already like basketball since the music doesnt seem to have anything to do with the gameplay.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4879164 said:
    I dont think so. I think people that buy this game are people that already like basketball since the music doesnt seem to have anything to do with the gameplay.
    I think so too. If people are interested in learning to dribble a ball, they'd just get a ball and practice. Why spend like $80 on a game and ball when you can just go to Wal-Mart, get a ball for $10 and dribble it in your backyard. Sure, there will be non-athletes interested in the gameplay and soundtrack and will get the game just for that, but I think mostly it'll be basketball players looking to show-off in front of their friends that'll be getting this game.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4879164 said:

Of course, but what about the mom or dad who buys this game for their son or daughter who's never played basketball in their life? I wish there were more video games like this when I was a kid because it would've made sports much more interesting for me.
    edited September 2012
    from what Ive seen it doesnt teach you anything. Just assumes you can do cross overs and all that other basketball mumbo jumbo that I couldnt care less about. This wont teach you how to hit a free throw or how to properly shoot a basket. It is not a leaning tool and I dont see how this would make anyone more interested in basketball.
    edited September 2012
    www1221;4879207 said:
    from what Ive seen it doesnt teach you anything. Just assumes you can do cross overs and all that other basketball mumbo jumbo that I couldnt care less about. This wont teach you how to hit a free throw or how to properly shoot a basket. It is not a leaning tool and I dont see how this would make anyone more interested in basketball.

I definitely understand where your coming from, as the concept does seem a little ridiculous. However, I'm weirdly looking forward to this game. The soundtrack's got some great cuts on it that I'd kill to get in RB (Eric B. & Rakim, more Interpol, Chromeo, Santigold, etc.).

EDIT: Reading through the reviews, it looks like reviewers were pretty positive on the game's teaching aspects. I'd be interested in reading a review from a professional/college player or coach, though.